TN - Karen Swift, 44, murdered, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 *husband charged in 2022* #4

6 Years Later: The Search Continues For Karen Swift's Killer
October 30 2017

Snipped...
...Sheriff Box also said that the evidence investigators have is all circumstantial. But that circumstantial evidence is strong. He said it's just a matter of time before they make an arrest in the case.

http://www.localmemphis.com/news/lo...h-continues-for-karen-swifts-killer/847716495

(Video at link)

Additional video from 6pm http://www.localmemphis.com/news/lo...h-continues-for-karen-swifts-killer/847716495

Didn't Sheriff Joe Box say he was close to arresting someone years ago?

Another year and the same story.

Did anyone hear about Burt Staggs managing to get a copy of Karen Swift's autopsy report??? The report was sealed by a judge and not to be opened! Why did the medical examiner release this information??? You can view this development on Channel 24 out of Memphis, Tn...this came out today.

Here's the link

Karen Swift Autopsy Revealed

Thanks Nana!!

Interesting. But she had not been found in time to tell if she were sexually assaulted. Could it have been someone who saw her at the party? A guy she was seeing while preparing to divorce her husband? Could be. But I'm still wondering about the husband. He's still on my list. And it is a VERY short list.

Interesting. But she had not been found in time to tell if she were sexually assaulted. Could it have been someone who saw her at the party? A guy she was seeing while preparing to divorce her husband? Could be. But I'm still wondering about the husband. He's still on my list. And it is a VERY short list.

The husband was always at the top of my list. Karen was in the process of moving out and taking some of the children. Her husband did not want that to happen. She was last seen at home in bed. Her car was found near home. Her clothing were neatly folded between her car and the house, as though someone planned to take them away and forgot. Her body was in a cemetery, although hidden in the kudzu and only found by chance. Her phone was in a river farther away from the house, but not too far that the husband couldn't toss the phone and be home in time for breakfast. This seemed like a cover-up from the beginning.

No illegal drugs. No alcohol. Not a "party animal"! Possibly hit with a hammer. :(

I vaguely remember that there were some blood drops near the interior people-door to the garage. A hammer is certainly a convenient weapon near the garage. I wonder if hammers and other similar tools were collected from the house and analyzed for blood evidence.

Praise for the reporter who is keeping this case in the public eye! What a shame her killer has been allowed to walk free all these years. How sad that LE allowed such terrible rumors about Karen to circulate in the news when they knew she hadn't been drinking or using drugs prior to her murder. Women murder victims deserve more respect from law enforcement. Murder is a serious crime, not something to be written off.

Years after Halloween disappearance, Mid-South mother’s autopsy report released

The sheriff’s office denied our request for an interview, saying it’s an ongoing investigation, despite giving us interviews and updates in the past.

EXCLUSIVE: Autopsy Report Reveals Karen Swift's Cause Of Death

"I look at it as we're digging into this case to find the truth and to hopefully find justice for Karen Swift," Staggs said. "I hope it'll keep this case in the public eye in the interest of justice."

The 17-page report shows Swift died of blunt force trauma to the head after being hit, possibly with a hammer.

"The overall consensus that I've found is that this was a personal crime, not a random crime," said Staggs. "They think they know who did it but they just don't feel like they can prove it."

I hate to disagree with Otto above.....but she was not last seen in her bed unless my memory has failed me....she had been to a costume party in Dyersburg, Tn and I think she came home for something or had gone to pick up one of the little girls who was away and had gotten sick.....she left home after that...I also don't remember hearing that they had found her clothes but possibly I don't remember......there has NEVER been any leaks about this case around here as they have always hoped to keep evidence quiet so if and when they made an arrest that could be used. Our sheriff and others talked with the DA and he did not feel they had enough to make an arrest and you know you only get one shot at conviction.....We have a great sheriff and deputies here and I am now afraid that this "reporter" has put things in jeopardy.....I have heard of him in other cases, etc., and I was not impressed....he is not from this area. My personal opinion is the Judge had sealed all that and the Medical Examiner is the one at fault here and should be the one bearing the brunt of letting that information out....why this Staggs guy thought he would be given any sealed information is beyond me but for whatever reason he got it. I did not even know this had happened as I very seldom ever tune into Channel 24.....someone that knows the family had put out a statement about it or I would not of heard about it. I guess we will see what happens but I am really afraid this is not good for the case. Sorry to write a book,lol.

Forgot to add what was posted:

In Loving Memory of Karen Swift

November 1 at 6:20 PM ·

It has come to our attention that some members of the media obtained and aired the contents of Karen's autopsy, which was sealed by the judge in the beginning of the case in order to protect the case. Shame on all of you who are distributing that around. This family has been victimized enough.

Welcome Nana46!

You’ll have to forgive us, as we follow crime cases on a daily basis over several years. This case seems less complicated than they tried to make it out in the beginning. There were multiple insinuations that she was probably drunk and or “high” that night.

Admittedly, her husband was the last person to see her alive. Other than the killer, or is he the killer? It is difficult not to be frustrated with the sheriff as there have been multiple indications that the original investigation was not thorough until her body was found.

The house that she was living in was not even searched for quite some time after her disappearance. It is true that the DA has said that there’s not enough evidence to move forward. This case it’s very frustrating to most of us here on WS!

Welcome Nana46!

You’ll have to forgive us, as we follow crime cases on a daily basis over several years. This case seems less complicated than they tried to make it out in the beginning. There were multiple insinuations that she was probably drunk and or “high” that night.

Admittedly, her husband was the last person to see her alive. Other than the killer, or is he the killer? It is difficult not to be frustrated with the sheriff as there have been multiple indications that the original investigation was not thorough until her body was found.

The house that she was living in was not even searched for quite some time after her disappearance. It is true that the DA has said that there’s not enough evidence to move forward. This case it’s very frustrating to most of us here on WS!

Agree, not searching the home and her possessions after she went missing was a major faux pas. That's basic, it's on the standard checklist of things LE is supposed to do when someone goes missing. Not difficult and most families understand why it needs to be done. Had they done that, they may have found enough evidence to use in the prosecution.

Also inexplicable that there were so many inferences about her being drunk or high, particularly after the autopsy.

A new story for this case ...
FERRIER FILES: Who killed a West Tennessee mother of four?

And here's where things get interesting, remember the Halloween party at the Farms Country Club? Several witnesses say Swift was involved in an altercation with a married woman on the patio that night.

10 days later, there was a break-in at Farms. The only thing stolen - the club's security cameras.

Karen Swift's dead and only partially clothed body was found in the bushes off a dirt road at the Bledsoe Cemetery in December 2011. But, the area was searched on November 10, a month earlier. How could they miss a decomposing body?

Karen Swift's best friend, Erin Gray, has never been interviewed by police, although she says Karen told her some strange things before she died.

“She did tell me she had got herself in a mess and she didn't know how to get out of it," Gray said. "But, that it had nothing to do with her husband."

Swift reportedly told her friend she was having an affair with a married man and had local police in her back pocket. She said some people gave her $10,000 to help with her divorce, but had a strange reaction to the gift.

"I remember replying that was very nice of them and she said 'Nobody is nice here. Everything comes with a price,'" Gray said.​

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back