GUILTY TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #20

There is a hearing December 5 at 9 a.m. in Knox County Tennessee Criminal Court to discuss motions in the murder/robbery/kidnap/rape case against Eric Boyd. I am not certain which motions will be discussed, but I will try to find out. The below docket information comes from:

Knox County Criminal Court Clerk

Defendant or Violator: ERIC BOYD
Division: DIVISION 2
Charge: FELONY MURDER, FIRST DEGREE MURDER, ESP. AGG. ROBBERY, ESP. AGG. KIDNAPPING, AND AGG. RAPE
Hearing Type: MOTION
Court Date: 2018-12-05 09:00:00
IDN: 151290
Docket: 112657
Booking Status: Not in Custody

Booking status is shown as "Not in Custody" on the Knox Country website since Eric Dewayne Boyd is currently held at the Federal Correctional Institution Yazoo City MI (Low Security) until he is transferred to Knox County Jail for his murder trial. Likely, when that transfer will occur is one of the motions that will be discussed in the December 5, 2018 hearing.

Can you specially point out what "reports" you're referring to? Link to MSM would be great.
I remember at the time of the other trials there was some speculation about this, and there was were such images on Boyd's phone. It is interesting that Boyd is charged with rape because I seem to recall that his DNA was not among those found on Channon. So I am wondering if this is rape of Chris instead, and those images do indeed exist. We should learn more in December.

I'm leery of a new member seemingly joining WS to post one post, about "reports" without anything further. We all want justice, but I want fairness also.

I dug around and found some support for the theory that Eric Boyd raped Chris Newsom, and also that Boyd had gay *advertiser censored* on his cellphone. It is posted below. It's not that easy to cite support for specific items because much of the data on this case is scattered in countless news stories by different Knoxville media sites.

One comment -- the below excerpt states that the Newsom's have long believed that it was Eric Boyd who had raped and killed their son. I remember reading elsewhere the Newsom's developed this conclusion after speaking with detectives working the case.

Knox prosecutor doesn't shut the door on future charges in torture slayings

"Boyd is serving an 18-year federal prison sentence for hiding out Lemaricus Davidson, convicted and on death row as the ringleader of the slayings of Newsom, 23, and Christian, 21. The couple was carjacked at an apartment complex off Washington Pike, bound, held hostage, beaten, tortured, raped and slain. Davidson's brother, Letalvis Cobbins, is serving life without parole in the case, as is his friend, George Thomas. Cobbins' girlfriend, Vanessa Coleman, is serving 35 years. All three men implicated Boyd in the crimes. Boyd's own statement to authorities was rich in details, particularly about the carjacking, though he denied being there. Since the case's inception, federal and state authorities privately have been at odds over the state's failure to prosecute Boyd for murder, though bits of it have surfaced in the 10 years since all five suspects were arrested. Also from the start, Hugh Newsom and wife Mary Newsom have been convinced it was Boyd who raped their son, killed and burned him."

<snip>

"But Boyd insisted every detail he had came from Davidson while the two spent time together in the vacant house. There was one other bit of circumstantial evidence on Boyd's phone. DNA made clear it was Davidson and Cobbins who raped Christian. But the burning of Newsom's body destroyed DNA evidence in his rape. Boyd had images of gay *advertiser censored* on his phone."

<snip>

"David Jennings, a veteran federal prosecutor who now supervises an entire unit of prosecutors, has made no bones in court about his belief Boyd was with Davidson, Cobbins and Thomas when the couple was carjacked, in the house when the couple was forced inside, raped Newsom and helped drag him via a dog collar chain to his death. He does not speak publicly about the case."

Trebor, thanks for the info. That is pretty much as I remember that information coming out. There were a few other things I remember, but I wont post them until I have time to see if I can find some support for them. I don't want to post things that I may not remember correctly. The big issue for me now is "what changed." Why is there now evidence to support these charges when there wasn't before? Advances in DNA testing? Video enhancement? Has one of the other defendants decided to testify? It could be that one of the other perps had decided they don't like the idea of spending the rest of their life in prison and knowing that Boyd will be getting out of prison before too much longer.

Listed witnesses include New Jersey forensic scientist Colleen Kumar who specializes in DNA analysis of damaged specimens.

Eric Boyd's own words may be evidence against him in Christian/Newsom torture slayings

"The presentment lists New Jersey State Police forensic scientist Colleen Kumar as a witness against Boyd. Kumar specializes in mitochondrial DNA testing, which allows for DNA matching even when samples are damaged, degraded or small.... But Newsom’s body was set on fire after he was fatally shot, damaging and possibly destroying DNA evidence in the rapes he endured. It is not yet known if Kumar performed additional testing specifically related to Boyd or Newsom."

Interesting. So presumably they have been able to link Boyd to Newsom's body via DNA in a way that couldn't be done before. I hope so. I always thought it was sad that while the other suspects were linked to and convicted of the car-jacking and rape and murder of Channon, no one was really held accountable for what happened to Chris. I followed this crime a lot because I was sickened by the absolute senselessness, brutality, and mercilessness of the crimes. They brutally tortured this completely innocent couple for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Wasn't Channon forced to watch Chris get raped or am I dreaming?
That rumor was out there all along, although I don't recall that any of the defendants admitted to it. Chris was brutally raped and that almost certainly occurred in the house. Since it is a small house, it is reasonable to conclude that Channon did witness it.

The judge delayed Boyd’s trial until Aug. 5.

A motion to dismiss the case will be heard and decided at a February status conference.

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty against Boyd. Instead, they have filed notice they intend to seek a sentence of life with the possibility of parole after a mandatory 51-year prison term if he is convicted.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...her-newsom-murder-eric-boyd-trial/2198257002/

Its amazing that its still the same prosecutors on this case. They did a great job in the other trials.

There is so much about this crime that is unknown. What exactly happened in that house that weekend. The defendants all clearly were withholding a lot of information. I continue to hold out hope that eventually one of them will eventually tell it all. I always thought that maybe Vanessa Coleman would roll over on the others.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back