SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

I hope so. Given the highly unusual fact patterns involved in this case, i am just shocked that they have been so quick to allude to suicide as the likely cause of deaths.
Completely agree and share your view as many questions still remain.

Your comment about the press coverage is interesting as the NYC press is generally better than most IMO based on past cases. But over the past few years it seems that budget levels at most media outlets for true old style investigative journalism have been slashed and so getting quality reporting on anything but the most high profile cases has been challenging at best. Maybe this case will be lucky and get some investigative journalist to delve into the story and address the wonderful questions you have raised. I hope so as I believe these sisters deserve better from the NY press than they have received.

If you have access to SM then I would suggest sending your fantastic questions to some of the reporters following the case via Twitter as this has been an effective tactic on other missing cases. Oftentimes the reporters will see the WS comments but not always so using SM can be quite effective in my experience.

Completely agree and share your view as many questions still remain.

Your comment about the press coverage is interesting as the NYC press is generally better than most IMO based on past cases. But over the past few years it seems that budget levels at most media outlets for true old style investigative journalism have been slashed and so getting quality reporting on anything but the most high profile cases has been challenging at best. Maybe this case will be lucky and get some investigative journalist to delve into the story and address the wonderful questions you have raised. I hope so as I believe these sisters deserve better from the NY press than they have received.

If you have access to SM then I would suggest sending your fantastic questions to some of the reporters following the case via Twitter as this has been an effective tactic on other missing cases. Oftentimes the reporters will see the WS comments but not always so using SM can be quite effective in my experience.
Thanks, OneEye. So true about the investigative reporting these days - a lot fewer people/resources to cover just as many, if not more, stories. I don’t use it all that often, but I do have a Twitter account. Will check it now

I hope so. Given the highly unusual fact patterns involved in this case, i am just shocked that the NYPD has been so quick to allude to suicide as the likely cause of deaths.

I have a high regard for the NYPD so this post isn’t meant to knock them, but I also think it’s a bit naive of posters (not insinuating you, Kaen...a couple others a ways back in the thread) who discount (“conspiracy theory”) the fact that there may be some geopolitical factors/pressures at play in a case like this. The 3 issues that I struggle with the most are:

1) Usually, 12 days into an investigation, even when police are being tightlipped, the press has put together a high-level profile of the individuals involved. With this case, there is still almost nothing known about Rotana and Tala - No digital footprint; no friends, classmates, acquaintances who have come out to say they know even the slightest bit about them (e.g. “I took a class with her. She seemed nice but kept to herself.”; etc).

2) I have zero forensic psychology experience, but the profile that we do know - 16/22 (or maybe 23?) year old women > no digital footprint for first 3 years in US > spending spree in NY for 60 days while looking “healthy” > taping themselves together as part of a joint drowning suicide in the Hudson River - just feels like it has disconnects to me.

3) How do 2 people with duct tape wrapped around their ankles and waists physically get themselves into the Hudson River?? Did they roll in from the grass over the rocks along the embankment? Did they tape themselves on the rocks and tip over - would that get you far enough out to catch the current? And as others have mentioned, where is the left over duct tape, scissors, etc?

Additional Questions. . .
**As Sherlock previously asked, who identified the bodies? One article referenced that the Mom did based on the sketch (which, as Sherlock noted, looks nothing like Tala and Rotana’s passport photos). Or did the Dad? The Arab news article references that he arrived in New York on Oct 26th, but they seem to be intentionally vague about the Dad in the press conference.

**There are hundreds of people walking their dogs and going for morning runs along Riverside Park at 7a. Have there been any corroborating reports of people having seen this “haunting” scene of the girls praying? Presumably no witnesses who would have witnessed the far more haunting visual of two girls duct taped together rolling/falling into the Hudson together in broad daylight? Even for desensitized New Yorkers, that scene would be startling.

**The Saudi Consulate references Rotana and Tala as being “students accompanying their brother in Washington DC.” What exactly does that mean, especially in the context of their mom living in Fairfax as well (and their Dad also being referenced in the “alleged” abuse cases that put the girls in “shelter-like” facility, as well as his reportedly traveling back and forth between SA and US at least on occasion)? Who is the brother?

**Exactly when (date/time) and where did Rotana and Tala submit their request for asylum? And what CC/video/etc evidence exists after this event?

**If they spent all 60 nights at hotels in NYC (plus food and shopping), then it’s easily $15k of expenses. As others have asked, if so, who’s the guarantor on the CC? If they didn’t stay at hotels the entire time, where else did they stay? Where did they stay the night of Oct 23rd?

**What is the “shelter-like” facility in which the girls allegedly stayed for the 9 months leading up to their NYC trip and what triggered their decision to leave for NYC (different articles have referenced different reasons for the latter)?

Speaking about the asylum request, everyone has denied that they told the media or discussed that. Even the 'cross configuration' of how they were connected, that was quoted for days in the media, was not disputed by the police. So there's also the questions of who is leaking false information to the press.
The police also didn't say when the credit card use stopped. They mention it being maxed out, but not when. Or if they had used other forms of payment. For two women trying to live under the radar, you'd think using a credit card would be the last thing they'd do.
Edit: If anyone wants to see the condition of one of the bodies, seen from a distance, there's a photo in this article. You can see how the duct tape was wrapped around them. The individual is face down, which tells me that this was the one who was on the bottom and after they removed the one on top (being carried away in the same photo), they rolled her over to take more photos.
The larger version of the image can be seen by right clicking, getting the image info, pasting it into a new browser window and deleting everything after .jpg.
Cops Seek Surveillance Video For Two Dead Sisters Found Bound By Duct Tape In River

Last edited:
I hope so. Given the highly unusual fact patterns involved in this case, i am just shocked that the NYPD has been so quick to allude to suicide as the likely cause of deaths.

I have a high regard for the NYPD so this post isn’t meant to knock them, but I also think it’s a bit naive of posters (not insinuating you, Kaen...a couple others a ways back in the thread) who discount (“conspiracy theory”) the fact that there may be some geopolitical factors/pressures at play in a case like this. The 3 issues that I struggle with the most are:

1) Usually, 12 days into an investigation, even when police are being tightlipped, the press has put together a high-level profile of the individuals involved. With this case, there is still almost nothing known about Rotana and Tala - No digital footprint; no friends, classmates, acquaintances who have come out to say they know even the slightest bit about them (e.g. “I took a class with her. She seemed nice but kept to herself.”; etc).

2) I have zero forensic psychology experience, but the profile that we do know - 16/22 (or maybe 23?) year old women > no digital footprint for first 3 years in US > spending spree in NY for 60 days while looking “healthy” > taping themselves together as part of a joint drowning suicide in the Hudson River - just feels like it has disconnects to me.

3) How do 2 people with duct tape wrapped around their ankles and waists physically get themselves into the Hudson River?? Did they roll in from the grass over the rocks along the embankment? Did they tape themselves on the rocks and tip over - would that get you far enough out to catch the current? And as others have mentioned, where is the left over duct tape, scissors, etc?

RSBM. No offense taken at all or thought that you were insinuating anything toward me.

I am usually not a believer in whatever I am told. And, I am not in this case. However, diving into a conspiracy and not trusting the info given to date doesn't make sense to me.

These girls weren't high profile. I can't imagine that the Saudis would be out doing things like Khashoggi on US soil. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. IMHO.

So, was this an honor killing? Maybe. But, we are not aware of any evidence that these young women were near anyone, even strangers, in the time they were in NY. We do hear NYPD say that they are still putting the last five or six days together. Could they have met with killers? Totally. Could they have been shamed into killing themselves or guilted into it? Absolutely, we know that abused people can be highly susceptible to influence and harm others or themselves.

Might many here be correct that the girls died days earlier? Yes. We have not seen the autopsy and the estimated time/day of death. The LEO/ME are holding many things close.

Could witnesses have seen others? Yes. Do I think that the NYPD would give us a bit of that info if they were not absolutely sure? No, as it is not what usually happens.

My thinking is to go with what the police are giving us. Ask questions. And, not get so bogged down in conspiracy that we miss the obvious.

As to your questions--- I do think they may have had a footprint but it was probably very well hidden and unless you know them you won't find it. Many people are very careful. They had family watching and, potentially, the government watching.

The older sister was said to have been at George Mason University. Did she make friends outside of the Saudi community? If yes, I think people would be talking (just like the neighbor that the mom talked to). However, women in the Saudi community know that you can't speak up or act out without repercussions, so I would expect that if this woman's contacts/friends were within her community, we won't hear of it. (We know that reporting abuse was handled very quietly-- as it should be.) If you don't make friends in western communities, the idea is that people will hold your secrets and also keep themselves safe from repercussions.

The credit card and spending is very odd, especially since they had been living in a shelter for nine months. That to me is the biggest conundrum. Did they make a deal that they could live in NYC for a period of time and come home? Was it a ruse to have them come home or get them home because everything could be traced--- so dad or brother or someone could show up and force them home? Or, was it a credit card in one of their names and unconnected? We don't know. I think this is what the NYPD is working on still.

The part of the river they were at (if the playground women in prayer were them) is a walk in site with a rocky, sandy shore. It is possible to wrap themselves there with the tape and enter the water? Yes. The roll of tape would sink. ( I never use scissors for duct tape, but that is me.) Did they drown with water in their lungs or the windpipe closing (leaving the lungs not filled with water for a period of time)? We don't know. Were they in the water for hours or days? Maybe they had a floatation device with them and maybe the device separated from them after the died. Maybe they died of hypothermia and not drowning so they didn't sink? I don't know and I am not a forensic scientist. But, somehow the NYPD thinks they died on the day they were found and without evidence to the contrary we can only conjecture.

Last edited:
Even the 'cross configuration' of how they were connected, that was quoted for days in the media, was not disputed by the police. So there's also the questions of who is leaking false information to the press.

The NYPD does not do what many LEO do when it comes to cases. They don't comment unless they want to do so at intervals. They did say unequivocally that the young women were not in a cross like position and that there was no evidence to support a fall from the GWB.

Many outlets (the NY POST as one outlet that sourced the cross-like position, IIRC) work to get the scoop on others. Since it is sources that are referenced, we know sources can be reliable or unreliable so unless it is said outright (like much early on in this case) we can only go with the official statements.

I think it is telling that the credit card use stop date was not disclosed. I would guess that it was the 5 or 6 days prior as that it the last official word from NYPD. And, I have no doubt we will find out about those days before the case is closed.

The last I had read was a few days ago I believe in the NYP that the bodies had not been claimed. That was around the time that the father was supposedly en route to NYC. I had assumed that he would claim the bodies but I just did another search and could not find an article about him claiming the bodies. Is it possible that the bodies are undergoing further testing and are being held by the ME in NYC?
I guess somehow all was accomplished wrt their burial.

Last edited:
I agree. I'm not a fan of where this investigation is trying to go, because the science doesn't support how they could have drowned and floated within several hours of 'being seen' praying. That usually takes a number of days. No evidence of where they went in, no duct tape roll, no scissors, no other effects they probably left behind if they 'just walked in'.

Yes, I still have questions and doubts as well.
I just hope, now that the burial/services have been accomplished, that the NYPD will let the public know their final report of this sad incident. Let's hope we'll soon hear more. And can a report on an incident such as this ever be definitely determined?

I'll believe double suicide when the NYPD tells us how they arrived at that conclusion, if it does turn out to be their conclusion. I'm still not convinced.

But I recall NYPD statement about seeing the sisters on CCTV. My suspicion is that NYPD is continuing to look for CCTV in the area where they last believe the sisters to have been staying and we just haven't heard about this aspect of the investigation yet. The last PC made it appear that there were still areas of inquiry in process.
There's got to be a lot of CCTV, etc., to see and evaluate. And how far out and around did NYPD want to observe? Is NYPD sure of where they were living those last several days?
Maybe the sisters decided that before they left for KSA or their double suicide (who knows which??) that they would live it up for a few days -- good food, shopping, luxury hotel, movies, sight seeing, etc., etc.

Here in San Diego, the body ‘belongs’ to the ME. So either the ME or one of the ME’s investigators has control. Legally we aren’t allowed to touch, move it, nothing. If we need to photograph the other side of the body, we wait until the ME arrives and can do their initial investigations before it’s moved. After the body is removed we take a picture of the floor/ground under the body to show whether anything was present or not.

Thanks, and a belated
Welcome to Websleuths, SammieJean!!

Good info! That protocol is essentially how it is where I live, too. The ME is in charge of the bodies and scene until he/she gives the scene over to LE. The ME will direct LE what to do with the body -- which is to have it delivered to the ME's office for autopsy if the scene and/or COD is suspicious.

Totally agree.

During their two-month stint in New York City, the two sisters stayed at pricey Midtown hotels — the Hilton, the Hyatt, the Knickerbocker — ordered room service twice a day and maxed out their credit cards shopping.

Saudi Sisters, Fleeing Abuse and Seeking Asylum, May Have Committed Suicide, Police Say

“It is entirely credible that the girls entered the water alive,” Chief Shea said. “We have them praying a short distance from the water, we also have sources that detectives have developed thus far, statements that they would rather inflict harm on themselves, commit suicide, than return to Saudi Arabia.”

Good points, Elley Mae, thanks for the article.

A couple of things in the article confuse me, and please know that nothing in your post confused me at all! :)

I may have missed an MSM article somewhere...
This article says the women were seen by a jogger on Oct. 24th with their heads down, apparently praying, and later the same day, the bodies were found. An earlier report said that their bodies had been exposed to the water for some time.

Now which is it -- or did I mis-read the earlier MSM article? Or was the jogger mistaken about when s/he had seen two women probably praying or were the two women not the two sisters? Or is it that I have misunderstood or imagined something? D'oh is me. :confused:

Last edited:
Well, now I'm confused... I may have missed an MSM article somewhere...
This article says the women were seen by a jogger on Oct. 24th with their heads down, apparently praying, and later the same day, the bodies were found. An earlier report said that their bodies had been exposed to the water for some time.

Now which is it -- or did I mis-read the earlier MSM article? Or was the jogger mistaken about when s/he had seen two women probably praying or were the two women not the two sisters? Or is it that I have misunderstood or imagined something? D'oh is me. :confused:

The easiest way that I have justified the information from prior to the NYPD press conference is that the news outlets were stringing side conversations and anything they could conjecture. The officer at the press conference cleared up a couple of fallacies out there.

Saudi Arabia’s Madina residents bury sisters found dead in New York river

Residents of Saudi Arabia’s Madina have buried the bodies of the two Saudi sisters who were found dead last week in the Hudson River in New York.

Is this even a real story? I mean, we've been told that the family came from Jeddah. Medina is a 4 hour drive north of Jeddah. Wasn't the mother and father involved in the ceremony? Nothing is even mentioned of them in the article. Very strange.

Good points, Elley Mae, thanks for the article.

A couple of things in the article confuse me, and please know that nothing in your post confused me at all! :)

I may have missed an MSM article somewhere...

The police claim that the eyewitness was 'credible', but haven't really given us much to believe anything more than perhaps two women were seen praying, but how can they say it was these two sisters?
And yes, the bodies would have been in the water for more than just a day if they were floating in the river. A drowning victim, especially fully clothed (even in boots) would sink, unless they were attached to some flotation device. The only way they would float is after some decomposition had taken place, bacteria in the bodies would have created enough air inside to make the bodies buoyant.

Is this even a real story? I mean, we've been told that the family came from Jeddah. Medina is a 4 hour drive north of Jeddah. Wasn't the mother and father involved in the ceremony? Nothing is even mentioned of them in the article. Very strange.

The police claim that the eyewitness was 'credible', but haven't really given us much to believe anything more than perhaps two women were seen praying, but how can they say it was these two sisters?
And yes, the bodies would have been in the water for more than just a day if they were floating in the river. A drowning victim, especially fully clothed (even in boots) would sink, unless they were attached to some flotation device. The only way they would float is after some decomposition had taken place, bacteria in the bodies would have created enough air inside to make the bodies buoyant.
It will be interesting to see what the NYPD release about the timeline of the last 6 days before the sisters were found. One of the MSM articles made the statement that the sisters hadn't been in the water for long and frankly I was never sure what this meant exactly. Could the sisters have been in the water for 5-6 days and this mean they 'weren't in the water for a long time'?

What I find very fascinating about this situation, is the bodies. They were obviously meant to be disposed of permanently, yet they floated back to the surface, even with waterlogged clothing.

Not unlike Laci Peterson, who was found months later, with her baby, no less, after being in a bay filled with all kinds of creatures.

It seems like there is a spirit, or a sign, that dead bodies "want" to be found, for some type of closure. How random was it that Caylee Anthony's body was found, in a ditch, in a garage bag? Sorry if this is off subject, but it is just so interesting to me.

That's a reason why I was surprised at the police so readily accepted that the sisters were seen the same morning 'praying' at a park several miles upstream. They kept saying at the news conference how the sisters could easily just walk into the water. But gave no explanation as to how they would have floated down stream in less than 5 hours, if they would have sunk. And if you look at google satellite view, you will see a long pier directly north of where their bodies were found, so that would have been a barrier.
Their bodies were only on the rocks after the tide went out, according to all the news reports of that day, the bodies were seen floating and that's when the police were alerted. The police must know about how drowning victims sink, I think the preliminary examination indicated they must have been dead for some time, long enough to float from George Washington bridge until they ruled that out due to lack of video footage of them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back