AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep coming back to wondering why they thought they were dealing with a suicide at first. Especially when there wasn't an obvious weapon.

About a year ago, there was a similar hang up 911 call. When officers arrived, they found a double murder/suicide. Maybe that was on their mind. They did not know the familial or marital status of D. Closs when they got to the scene.

Link: Autopsy results from Chetek, Wisconsin murder-suicide

Not so sure. I keep thinking of Israel Keyes, who had no connection to his victims. He’d fly cross country, rent a car, drive hundreds of miles to a site where he’d left a buried “murder kit” years earlier. In a way, he targeted the site, not the victims per se- hidden, like the Closs home. Interview footage was some of the most chilling I’ve ever seen. In MOO, I think he got sloppy & got caught because it became boring/ unsatisfying to never receive credit for his skill and cunning. Hopefully whomever did this to the Closs family will slip up soon so people can recover from this nightmare.
Yes, he had no particular reason for picking his victims, except in considering an easy escape route. It was part of the thrill. Other killers have targeted random houses as well, although they usually stalk their victims first. Jmo

I keep coming back to wondering why they thought they were dealing with a suicide at first. Especially when there wasn't an obvious weapon.
As far as I know the only person who ever suggested it might be a possible suicide was the first officer on the scene and only for a very short time as the full scene unfolded and he realized it was not a suicide. To be fair, knowing that he had just responded to a 911 open line and finding a body with an obvious gunshot wound and nobody else around - at first glance that’s the most obvious situation.

Wouldn’t people from Mexico stand out there? I imagine LE knows the routes and even the distributors

The cartels don't only employ other Mexicans, they also employ Americans and other "Caucasians". So the short answer is no, they wouldn't necessarily stand out because they are likely to look just like everyone else.

Do we know why Barron LE called off searches? I'm sure many locals are still willing to continue volunteering to search?

We had a missing woman near me. LE would not organize searches. Family was upset but no one knew where to look either except sketchy psychic tips. Even they were 7 mi off. (LE was looking 50 mi away.) She was found by a hunter just a day shy of the anniversary of her last known contact.

Jayme Closs and Cora Jones went missing 24 years apart. But their cases share tragic similarities.

Nov. 5, 2018

"Allen Kraeger of the Waupaca County Sheriff’s Department still gets choked up when he talks about the 1994 disappearance of 12-year-old Cora Jones.

“It’s hard to talk about it,” Kraeger said about Cora, who vanished while riding her bicycle on a rural road on Labor Day weekend 24 years ago. “All the emotions come rushing back. And there was the tragedy of watching her parents suffer.”

Five days after she went missing, Cora’s body was found in a remote area of Langlade County. Serial rapist and multiple killer David Spanbauer was later convicted of her murder, but the passage of time hasn’t healed the wounds from her horrific death.

Cora’s case bears some strong similarities to the ongoing disappearance of 13-year-old Jayme Closs from the small western Wisconsin community of Barron. Jayme has been missing since Oct. 15 when her parents, Denise Closs, 46, and James Closs, 56, were found dead from gunshot wounds in their home outside Barron. Their deaths have been ruled homicides. Jayme is considered to be endangered.

Even though the cases happened 24 years apart, they both:..."

Jayme Closs and Cora Jones went missing 24 years apart. But their cases share tragic similarities.
---

David Spanbauer

"..Victims:...

Cora Jones
On Labor Day, September 5th, a 12-year-old Cora Jones was riding her bike on Sanders Road near her grandma's house in Daytown township. He got Cora into his car and molested her. He drove 75 miles north up to Langlade County near Kempster. Five or six hours later he finally decided to end it. He strangled and stabbed her and threw her body into a steep ditch. Police organized a search for the missing girl and hundreds of volunteers helped canvass the surrounding woods in a ten mile perimeter. The FBI also joined the case. Her body was found body five days later."

David Spanbauer - Serial Killers of Wisconsin

7709618.jpg

(Cora Jones)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only was it a momentary impression of one person, and suicide being far more common than murder, perhaps initially he saw no signs of a struggle, thinking perhaps the gun caused the damage to the door. In any case...it is simply the first thoughts of a moment...and tells us nothing, jmo.

During a suicide, weapons frequently end up underneath a body. Not seeing a weapon right away, doesn’t necessarily mean that there isn’t one.

Upon further examination, they realized that they were not dealing with a murder/suicide.
True. Also, there’s only been 4 murders in 10 yrs in the entire county- not sure if that figure includes James & Denise or if the number is now 6 in 11 years. With stats like that, both 911 operators & LE would probably assume suicide first. MOO.

<modsnip - rumor >. It does show NAMUS last modified Jayme's info on November 4th, but I can't figure out how to tell if that is what was modified.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know the only person who ever suggested it might be a possible suicide was the first officer on the scene and only for a very short time as the full scene unfolded and he realized it was not a suicide. To be fair, knowing that he had just responded to a 911 open line and finding a body with an obvious gunshot wound and nobody else around - at first glance that’s the most obvious situation.
Had he found Denise at that time? Could have been her position in a different room that made him think that.

Yes, he had no particular reason for picking his victims, except in considering an easy escape route. It was part of the thrill. Other killers have targeted random houses as well, although they usually stalk their victims first. Jmo

I was reading quotes from some serial killers a few days ago. Absolutely chilling rabbit hole. I had to take a break for a bit after that. I don't recall which one, but they said they'd just pick the first person they found attractive. I think it was Dahmer.

In one of my early posts i asked why the neighbours didn't report the gunshots they heard at 12.30. I got a few replies saying that gunshots in rural areas in the middle of the night were quite normal and nobody would report them. A hunter would know this so wouldn't be too bothered about anybody hearing the shots.

Thought I heard gunshots at 9:30 pm yesterday. They were fireworks.

We had a missing woman near me. LE would not organize searches. Family was upset but no one knew where to look either except sketchy psychic tips. Even they were 7 mi off. (LE was looking 50 mi away.) She was found by a hunter just a day shy of the anniversary of her last known contact.

After my brother-in-law threatened to kill her, my pregnant sister went missing with her toddler son and it took us 3 days to get LE interested in it. It really is interesting how the various LE agencies react to crimes. (Not complaining about how quickly they reacted to Jayme's disappearance. I'm GLAD they were on the ball with it.)

So if the shells and casings left there have fingerprints on them, I assume they got the DNA and ran it through. Also Familial DNA has solved cases, matching the DNA to relatives at ancestry sites.

a search on msn says that there is a database being kept on test fired ballistics. I understand a firearm can change hands many times and many of the times there will be no hard trail of that, but it could be a starting point and at least some could lead to where firearm went from who to who etc.

<modsnip - rumor >. It does show NAMUS last modified Jayme's info on November 4th, but I can't figure out how to tell if that is what was modified.

Can you provide the link? <modsnip - rumor >. I'll write to reporter Paul Blume. He's been very responsive. I'll send him the link and ask him to follow up with the Sheriff's office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member