CA - Multiple casualties after 'active shooter' opens fire, Thousand Oaks, 08 Nov 2018

My daughter just checked in. She wasn't there but has a friend who was. His phone shows inside the club and they havent heard from him.
Thanks for the check-in. So glad to hear your daughter is safe, though I know she must be worried for her friend. I hope he will check-in as safe too. Perhaps he dropped his phone in the chaos and that's why it shows it being there and also why he isn't in contact with anyone.

jmo

In the past when people became severely mentally ill they were sent to live in institutions. They were not kept out in the public where they could hurt themselves or others
Modern laws resulting from civil rights complaints have made it pretty much impossible to commit someone to a mental institution against their will. Likewise, forcing people to receive treatment is also legally very difficult.

Last edited:
Well planned and premeditated -

A witness told KABC-TV that the gunman entered the bar and threw a smoke grenade before opening fire. The witness told the news station he saw a security guard get shot before the witness ran away from the shooting.

<cut>

Winnett told the news site that Long had gone to the bar where the shooting occurred before and used to practice dance moves alone in his garage.

Ian Long: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

It’s a complex issue and I don’t think it can be tied to one thing. The US does have a gun issue and a mental health issue IMO. Why do mentally ill people have access to semi-automatic and automatic weapons? I also think these people seek attention on their way out and because mass shootings are so “popular” in the US, that’s the method they choose. I’m in no way trying to blame the media, but because these situations draw so much media attention, I think it’s attractive to these guys (and occasionally gals).

A big gun issue. Sadly these events will keep happening and the same discussions will go around and around as nothing is done.

My sympathies for everyone involved in this.

Modern laws resulting from civil rights complains have made it pretty much impossible to commit someone to a mental institution against their will. Likewise, forcing people to receive treatment is also legally very difficult.

Yes, this I know unfortunately first hand. If the mentally ill and/or addicted person believes they are fine and you are crazy....there is literally nothing you can do. Sadly, a lot of people can absolutely hide how they really feel when faced with the option of going inpatient. Our society is just broken. There is not much worse than watching someone you love kill themselves and being absolutely powerless to stop it (and usually the target of that person's hatred as well)

(Hugs Katy)

My daughter just checked in. She wasn't there but has a friend who was. His phone shows inside the club and they havent heard from him.

Thank goodness your daughter is safe, (big hugs) I hope her friend is ok and just left his phone. So heartbreaking for all the parents who's children won't make it home.. Xx

Yes, this I know unfortunately first hand. If the mentally ill and/or addicted person believes they are fine and you are crazy....there is literally nothing you can do. Sadly, a lot of people can absolutely hide how they really feel when faced with the option of going inpatient. Our society is just broken. There is not much worse than watching someone you love kill themselves and being absolutely powerless to stop it (and usually the target of that person's hatred as well)
That must have been rough. I also have experience in that area, but not with any addiction of risk of death to the relative.

We did, however, see him deteriorate mentally (long rambling conversations about nothing, always agitated, obsessed about trivial matters etc) and steadily lose his life savings to a business “investment”. We explored getting a power of attorney regarding his finances and making his wife a needed co-signer on loans etc. We were told that there was nothing that could be done.

Last edited:
I don't know how it can be stopped if the perpetrators can't acknowledge these thoughts are not typical and that taking another's life should never be a choice.

In this instance that line is blurred due to active service but these kids weren't to blame for whatever this guys issues were... Feel very sad for the human race today xx

If he'd had a bow and arrow, a sword, or tried to burn down a place, the good guys with guns including the cop he murdered would have been able to stop him.
The thing is, he was a good guy with a gun before he wasn't.

Before we debate it too much though, I am reminded that the gun debate won't find any resolution here on WS. No matter what you believe or I believe, there are deeper problems that drive people to do horrible things and that is the point I was making in my post. This forum is our reminder that the good guys can't always stop the bad ones before something bad happens. We have to solve the underlying reasons for people being in fear, in distress, or in rage. I am sad for all those hurt in this event, including the perp.

October 27, 2018 11 dead - Pittsburgh, PA synagogue

November 2, 2018 2 dead (+ gunman) - Tallahassee, FL yoga studio

November 5, 2018 1 dead - San Rafael, CA detox center

November 8, 2018 12 dead - Thousand Oaks, CA bar & grill

Something is terribly wrong with this picture.

“11 patients with minor injuries released from area hospitals Thursday
Eleven victims from the Borderline Bar & Grill shooting in Thousand Oaks, California, were released from area hospitals Thursday.

Here's what we know about the victims:

Eight victims were treated for minor injuries at Adventist Health Simi Valley, according to hospital spokesperson Alicia Gonzalez.
Three victims were treated for minor injuries at St. John's Regional Medical Center, according to hospital spokesperson Megan Maloney. They suffered cuts while escaping the shooting.
All of the victims got to the hospitals on their own.”

Snip

“Neighbor said shooter's mother "lived in fear"
From CNN’s Scott Glover
Ventura County Sheriff's deputies stand outside the house of shooter David Ian Long in Newbury Park, California, on Thursday.
Ventura County Sheriff's deputies stand outside the house of shooter David Ian Long in Newbury Park, California, on Thursday. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)
Shooter Ian David Long’s mother “lived in fear” of what her son might do, saying when police were called to the house earlier this year “it took them about a half a day to get him out of the house," a neighbor told CNN.

Neighbor Richard Berge said Long’s mother told him she was concerned about her son, though not worried about her own safety, and that “she was… kind of beside herself, she didn’t know what to do because he wouldn’t get help.”

Berge continued: “When I saw the house this morning, I knew what it was,” referring to the police activity.“

Live updates: California shooting leaves 12 dead in Thousand Oaks - CNN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back