CA - Multiple casualties after 'active shooter' opens fire, Thousand Oaks, 08 Nov 2018

“6 off-duty officers were in the bar last night
There were six off-duty officers from various agencies inside the Borderline Bar & Grill at the time of the shooting, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.”

Snip

“Suspect Ian Long served in US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013
From CNN's Ryan Browne
The suspected gunman Ian David Long was on active duty with the US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013, according to Department of Defense records.”

6 off-duty officers were in the bar last night

——

Gunman Who Killed 12 in Thousand Oaks Shooting Is Identified as a Former Marine

“THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — A Marine Corps veteran who had served in Afghanistan fatally shot at least 12 people Wednesday night when he stormed a crowded country and western dance hall in Thousand Oaks, Calif., the authorities said.

The Ventura County sheriff, Geoff Dean, said that the gunman, Ian David Long of nearby Newbury Park, Calif., apparently took his own life after being confronted by officers responding to the Wednesday night attack. The .45-caliber handgun he used was purchased legally, but had been outfitted with an extended magazine.“

——

“Also among the dead is 22-year-old Cody Coffman, his father, Jason Coffman, overcome with emotion, told reporters.

"I am speechless and heartbroken," he said. "I cannot believe that it's happened to my family."

"I just want him to know that he is going to be missed," Jason Coffman said of his oldest child in between tears. "Son, I love you so much."“

cody-caufman-victim-redacted-ht-jc-181108_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Thousand Oaks shooting live updates: 12 dead including officer, suspect identified

Last edited:
“11 patients with minor injuries released from area hospitals Thursday
Eleven victims from the Borderline Bar & Grill shooting in Thousand Oaks, California, were released from area hospitals Thursday.

Here's what we know about the victims:

Eight victims were treated for minor injuries at Adventist Health Simi Valley, according to hospital spokesperson Alicia Gonzalez.
Three victims were treated for minor injuries at St. John's Regional Medical Center, according to hospital spokesperson Megan Maloney. They suffered cuts while escaping the shooting.
All of the victims got to the hospitals on their own.”

Snip

“Neighbor said shooter's mother "lived in fear"
From CNN’s Scott Glover
Ventura County Sheriff's deputies stand outside the house of shooter David Ian Long in Newbury Park, California, on Thursday.
Ventura County Sheriff's deputies stand outside the house of shooter David Ian Long in Newbury Park, California, on Thursday. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)
Shooter Ian David Long’s mother “lived in fear” of what her son might do, saying when police were called to the house earlier this year “it took them about a half a day to get him out of the house," a neighbor told CNN.

Neighbor Richard Berge said Long’s mother told him she was concerned about her son, though not worried about her own safety, and that “she was… kind of beside herself, she didn’t know what to do because he wouldn’t get help.”

Berge continued: “When I saw the house this morning, I knew what it was,” referring to the police activity.“

Live updates: California shooting leaves 12 dead in Thousand Oaks - CNN

His mother will never get over this either. I can sit here and ask why he didn't get the help given it was obvious he had an issue but all the people that were involved in the April incident will have to live with that for rest of their lives

Edit to add - I guess the criteria he was measured against did not warrant action xx

“Helus and a Highway Patrol Officer headed into the club and exchanged fire with the attacker, Dean said. Helus, a 29-year veteran of the force with a grown son, had been on the phone with his wife when he got the call about the shooting and headed to the club, Dean said. During the shootout, he was struck several times.

“He died a hero,” Dean said, his voice cracking, “because he went in to save lives."

Helus had previously served on a SWAT team, said James Cochran, a deputy who was also on the team with him. Cochran, who said he knew Helus for 25 years, described him as an outdoorsman and “a great cop, a great dad,” Cochran said.“

12 people killed, including sheriff’s deputy, in ‘horrific’ California bar shooting

“6 off-duty officers were in the bar last night
There were six off-duty officers from various agencies inside the Borderline Bar & Grill at the time of the shooting, Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said.”

Snip

“Suspect Ian Long served in US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013
From CNN's Ryan Browne
The suspected gunman Ian David Long was on active duty with the US Marine Corps from August 2008 to March 2013, according to Department of Defense records.”

6 off-duty officers were in the bar last night

——

Gunman Who Killed 12 in Thousand Oaks Shooting Is Identified as a Former Marine

“THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — A Marine Corps veteran who had served in Afghanistan fatally shot at least 12 people Wednesday night when he stormed a crowded country and western dance hall in Thousand Oaks, Calif., the authorities said.

The Ventura County sheriff, Geoff Dean, said that the gunman, Ian David Long of nearby Newbury Park, Calif., apparently took his own life after being confronted by officers responding to the Wednesday night attack. The .45-caliber handgun he used was purchased legally, but had been outfitted with an extended magazine.“

——

“Also among the dead is 22-year-old Cody Coffman, his father, Jason Coffman, overcome with emotion, told reporters.

"I am speechless and heartbroken," he said. "I cannot believe that it's happened to my family."

"I just want him to know that he is going to be missed," Jason Coffman said of his oldest child in between tears. "Son, I love you so much."“

cody-caufman-victim-redacted-ht-jc-181108_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Thousand Oaks shooting live updates: 12 dead including officer, suspect identified

The article at end of this post says officer Ron was on with his wife and told her he had a call to handle and he loved her.. All of this is so awful

His mother will never get over this either. I can sit here and ask why he didn't get the help given it was obvious he had an issue but all the people that were involved in the April incident will have to live with that for rest of their lives

Edit to add - I guess the criteria he was measured against did not warrant action xx

It sounds like his mom wanted him to get help and she even called for help, but there's not much she or anybody can do when he's not legally required to get help.
I understand people can't just claim someone needs help without anything to back it up, but when there's clearly mental health issues the person with the issues shouldn't have a say in the matter. IMO

It sounds like his mom wanted him to get help and she even called for help, but there's not much she or anybody can do when he's not legally required to get help.
I understand people can't just claim someone needs help without anything to back it up, but when there's clearly mental health issues the person with the issues shouldn't have a say in the matter. IMO

Totally agree with you.. The criteria he was assessed against was either flawed or he knew how to answer the questions... I was in no way blaming his mum she is victim too xx

Totally agree with you.. The criteria he was assessed against was either flawed or he knew how to answer the questions... I was in no way blaming his mum she is victim too xx

I didn't take it that you were blaming his mom. Sorry if I came across like I did.
I feel horrible for all the victims including his mom. :(

Or, we need to change our perception of mental health help. While the stigma has lessened, there still is a reluctance to "admit" you need help. So, perhaps there is another way? What if we change the idea of mental health as something that everyone needs to pay attention to and provide for themselves and for each other all the time rather than something only broken people need. And change the idea of mental health care as something we provide not only professionally but as a culture. Instead of blaming and hating and criticizing all the time (which we do in our culture and it is escalating, imo), we get in the habit of building each other up and making that our culture's expectation. Can't be worse than how we currently treat each other, which is pretty crappy much of the time.

Yeah, I know this idea will get scoffed at. That's okay. ♥ I know it's not the solution to fix everything - no need to point that out. I know.

jmo

I didn't take it that you were blaming his mom. Sorry if I came across like I did.
I feel horrible for all the victims including his mom. :(

Xx no apologies necessary, you did not.. As you rightly said she tried to get help. There are not infinite resources to cope with institutionalising every person who shows violent tendencies but there must be a better way to work out if someone will act upon them. I feel horrible for them all too. Big hugs from the uk xx

Or, we need to change our perception of mental health help. While the stigma has lessened, there still is a reluctance to "admit" you need help. So, perhaps there is another way? What if we change the idea of mental health as something that everyone needs to pay attention to and provide for themselves and for each other all the time rather than something only broken people need. And change the idea of mental health care as something we provide not only professionally but as a culture. Instead of blaming and hating and criticizing all the time (which we do in our culture and it is escalating, imo), we get in the habit of building each other up and making that our culture's expectation. Can't be worse than how we currently treat each other, which is pretty crappy much of the time.

Yeah, I know this idea will get scoffed at. That's okay. ♥ I know it's not the solution to fix everything - no need to point that out. I know.

jmo

I am with you.. Something needs to change xx

One of the major problems is that we don't currently have laws that can intervene when people are beginning the slide into major distortions in their thinking and perceptions.

Some of these shooters, at the time of their shooting, and in the months/years leading up to it, do actually have mental impairments such as paranoia, delusions, mood disorders, etc.

It is possible for a person to continue to function while still having these internal problems. Only those closest to them will be aware that there is something "off" but the average person will not have the knowledge base to understand what they might be dealing with.

Then you get into the secondary problem. Let's say a family member is aware that something seems "off." As it currently stands, a person can only be placed on a psychiatric hold if they are determined to be a danger to self or others. It is very easy for someone to completely deny that they are having any such problems. And people who are paranoid and having delusions are even less likely to honestly share about this even if questioned.

This is the gray area that we're dealing with. Everyone talks about how there is a lack of resources for mental health, but that isn't exactly the problem.

The problem is getting the people who need it the most to be willing to get help for their mental problems. James Holmes had access to psychiatric treatment, yet he chose to drop out and commit his deadly act.

As someone who has worked in the mental health field for many years, I have seen up close and personal how this works. I have met individuals who were showing major red flags and after one or two sessions, they refuse to come back, despite the concern of their family members.

Ian Long: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Long had previously been the victim of a battery in 2015 at a bar in the area, the sheriff said. He also had some minor traffic incidents. He did not provide additional details of the battery incident.

That coupled with PTSD is my guess. If he didn't have a gun, he could have just used a bow and arrow, or a sword, or burned the place down with everyone inside. Weapons are plentiful. It is our hate, fear and disillusionment that fuels violence.

From the above link:

ian-long.jpg

ian22_censored.jpg

Ian Long

12 days and 26 lives
They were out just having fun,

Doing their things,
Spreading their wings

And then came the guns.

26 lives in less than 2 weeks.. How shockingly awful.

We have a knife issue in London 115 people so far this year, mainly kids killing kids. Off topic to this, apologies but think it does demonstrate violence is escalating everywhere xx

One of the major problems is that we don't currently have laws that can intervene when people are beginning the slide into major distortions in their thinking and perceptions.

Some of these shooters, at the time of their shooting, and in the months/years leading up to it, do actually have mental impairments such as paranoia, delusions, mood disorders, etc.

It is possible for a person to continue to function while still having these internal problems. Only those closest to them will be aware that there is something "off" but the average person will not have the knowledge base to understand what they might be dealing with.

Then you get into the secondary problem. Let's say a family member is aware that something seems "off." As it currently stands, a person can only be placed on a psychiatric hold if they are determined to be a danger to self or others. It is very easy for someone to completely deny that they are having any such problems. And people who are paranoid and having delusions are even less likely to honestly share about this even if questioned.

This is the gray area that we're dealing with. Everyone talks about how there is a lack of resources for mental health, but that isn't exactly the problem.

The problem is getting the people who need it the most to be willing to get help for their mental problems. James Holmes had access to psychiatric treatment, yet he chose to drop out and commit his deadly act.

As someone who has worked in the mental health field for many years, I have seen up close and personal how this works. I have met individuals who were showing major red flags and after one or two sessions, they refuse to come back, despite the concern of their family members.

Must be very frustrating for you at times...

But if they are not willing yet show red flags, what else could be done? As that is the grey area I see... Xx

“During his time in the military, Long, who was a corporal, was deployed in Afghanistan and received multiple awards including Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, an Afghanistan Campaign Medal, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and a National Defense Service Medal.“

Thousand Oaks shooting: What we know about the massacre at Borderline Bar and Grill

(Unbelievable, the Irony!
“Global War on Terrorism” and “National Defense” Service Medals... nobody had any “Defense” last night against this “Terrorist”.)

Yoga shooter last week was a vet too.

ETA:
(What the heck am I writing here? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone..“Defense” and “War on Terrorism medals”, “yoga shooter”...

It’s just like a poster’s signature here, sorry can’t remember who:

“the enemy is here. beware.”

Last edited:
Just FYI, Los Robles is the closest trauma center and it looks like they haven't yet released stats. I feel confident that's where anyone who was shot would have been taken
True. My daughter is a nurse and says that's where many were taken.

TO is my hometown and I have friends with children still missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back