Terri-Lynne McClintic sent to healing lodge 25 September 2018

supercharge
o.png
o.png

This makes me want to vomit.

should not be in a healing lodge, and most certainly should not be exposed to children.

Can't go there emotionally, but, had to spit it out, as I have been watching from afar.

I am glad to see there was alot of outrage over this, that went right to the top, even if it wasn't the outcome we wanted.

People are watching, we are still here.

Has anyone heard anything about the other in this case?

Justin Trudeau is a despicable excuse of a human being. He arrogantly scoffed at the appeals of Tori's family, other victims of violent crime and the entire nation to right this heinous wrong. I am absolutely ashamed of my country's current government. Disgusting.

Unfortunately, the bold statement doesn't belong in this conversation. McClintic self-identifies as aboriginal. As an aboriginal, she has the same right to be at the healing lodge as any other prisoner who claims to be aboriginal. The real problem seems to be that the healing lodge did not draw a hard line specifying that some damaged people cannot be healed. I understand why the healing lodge has open doors to every type of prisoner, violent pedophile or other, but in a world where self-identifying trumps reality, Terry McClintic has the law on her side.

"Nekaneet First Nation Chief Alan Francis shared the same concerns in an interview with Gormley guest host Murray Wood on Wednesday. He said there could have been a very different outcome if elders were still involved in the process.

When asked if this case harms the reputation of healing lodges as part of the justice system, Cherish Francis said it is unfortunate Canadians are disconnected from their true purpose of reducing the incarceration rate of Indigenous people."​

Band member concerned over McClintic healing lodge transfer

Good for her brother, speaking up. I really hope McClintic is removed from this healing lodge. She doesn't deserve to be there.

On what basis does she not belong in the healing lodge. She self-identifies as an aboriginal. Are there other instances where a first time offender and convicted murderer is not allowed to join the healing lodge?

So the message to the disadvantaged youth of our country, indigenous or otherwise, is to commit a heinous murder and your living conditions will improve ten fold. Certainly seems to have worked for TLM. I bet this is the nicest place she's ever lived in.

It's pretty simple to amend the law that allows a convicted first degree murderer to be transferred to any medium security facility or healing lodge. But I don't expect the current federal government to bother trying to change anything.

I hope RS is able to get a lot of people to back him up and make some noise in Ottawa next month. Perhaps fighting for a change to the law that allowed this to happen is going to be his next project on behalf of Victoria. I wish him well.

MOO

I don't think the aboriginal community wants a law preventing first degree murderers from living at the healing lodge. I'm pretty sure McClintic isn't the first 1st degree murderer to benefit from this system. The only difference is that, in the past, everyone accepted that this option is important for the aboriginal community. Today there seems to be a backlash that some aboriginal people should not be eligible.

I'm glad they finally came to their senses and are sending this murderer back to prison where she belongs. She is not aboriginal and had no right to serve out her sentence in a 'healing lodge' or anywhere else but a prison cell. She helped a pedophile rape an 8 year old girl, and then helped beat that little girl to death and then disposed of her body. She deserves a blanket, a cot and 3 meals a day. That's it. I hope that these changes will prevent other murderers from taking advantage of the system by pretending to be aboriginal to get moved out of prison to 'healing lodges'.

I'm glad they finally came to their senses and are sending this murderer back to prison where she belongs. She is not aboriginal and had no right to serve out her sentence in a 'healing lodge' or anywhere else but a prison cell. She helped a pedophile rape an 8 year old girl, and then helped beat that little girl to death and then disposed of her body. She deserves a blanket, a cot and 3 meals a day. That's it. I hope that these changes will prevent other murderers from taking advantage of the system by pretending to be aboriginal to get moved out of prison to 'healing lodges'.

We live in a world where anyone can identify however they choose. If a man says that he is a woman, then he is a woman. If someone identifies as indigenous, that's who he or she is.

What this change means is that violent offenders, regardless of how they identify, will no longer be eligible for transfer to a healing lodge. Is that consistent with the original intent of the healing lodge?

What I means is - my understanding of the healing lodge concept is that it is premised on the belief that aboriginal people are disadvantaged from early childhood onward, and that exposure to traditional teachings in a healing lodge will set them on a better path. Those who suffered most in childhood may be the same people who are more inclined towards violent offences, so aren't they most in need of the healing lodge?

"In speaking to the FSW, we find that the profile of an Aboriginal FSW is generally: a young woman under 30, single, a good percentage have children, come from non-supportive backgrounds, have fragmented families, fostering situations, physically/sexually abusive backgrounds. When looking at what would make this woman function without getting into conflict with the law, you look at a different standard. If you look at educational background and job preparation, they still have all the other baggage that goes along with what they grew up with -- their alienation from who they are as Aboriginal women.

What can we do to bring these women to a point where they can function without the conflict? One of the main ingredients to do so is teaching them that being an Aboriginal woman is okay, in fact darn good. To do that they have to be immersed in something they have never had. The Aboriginal traditions include very special processes for women, and if you have pride in how special it is to be an Aboriginal woman and have the traditional teachings, you do not run into the abuses -- drug abuse, selling your bodies, etc."​

Proceedings - National Workshop to Develop a Community Strategy for Federally Sentenced Women

Last edited:
We live in a world where anyone can identify however they choose. If a man says that he is a woman, then he is a woman. If someone identifies as indigenous, that's who he or she is.

What this change means is that violent offenders, regardless of how they identify, will no longer be eligible for transfer to a healing lodge. Is that consistent with the original intent of the healing lodge?

No, we cannot identify in any way we choose.

No, we cannot identify in any way we choose.

Rachel Dolezal is a white woman who identifies as a black woman. How is that different from Terri McClintic identifying as an indigenous woman?

Rachel Dolezal is a white woman who identifies as a black woman. How is that different from Terri McClintic identifying as an indigenous woman?

The government of Canada gives certain benefits and rights to people in this country who are truly indigenous. Not just anyone can apply for these benefits by "identifying" as indigenous.

Benefits and rights for Indigenous peoples

The government of Canada gives certain benefits and rights to people in this country who are truly indigenous. Not just anyone can apply for these benefits by "identifying" as indigenous.

Benefits and rights for Indigenous peoples

Regardless, I suspect that this means change that may contradict the original intent of the healing lodge as a place for all indigenous peoples.

Edmonton Institution for Women is a multi-level facility with minimum, medium and maximum security wings.

According to the Correctional Service Canada website, it has "a minimum security residential-style apartment unit and residential-style small group accommodation houses for minimum and medium-security inmates in an open campus design model."

Child killer Terri-Lynne McClintic moved from healing lodge to Edmonton prison | CBC News

Still don't think these are adequate accommodations for a first degree murderer of an 8yr old stranger. Not to mention that she should also be considered a sexual offender since she knew that rape was why she was kidnapping a young girl.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave