Wiccan symbol on a soldier's grave

But surely there isn't a problem?

• VA settles dispute with 11 Wiccan families
• Families can display Wiccan symbol, a pentacle, on soldiers' graves
• Five-pointed star joins 38 other approved symbols
• Wiccans hope to get markers ready by Memorial Day

everyone has a right to believe in what they believe, yes? :)

"This settlement has forced the Bush Administration into acknowledging that there are no second class religions in America, including among our nation's veterans," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which represented the Wiccans in the lawsuit.

Wicca is a nature-based religion based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons. Variations of the pentacle not accepted by Wiccans have been used in horror movies as a sign of the devil.

quite!

The Wiccan pentacle isn't of the 'devil'. Wicca is a gentle religion. IMO.

Good, we should honor the requests of our fallen soldiers. In the end, a Pagan or Buddhist's blood is the same color as a Christian's blood after all. :twocents: :)

In the end, a Pagan or Buddhist's blood is the same color as a Christian's blood after all. :twocents: :)

Thank you, Kat... well said!

Good, we should honor the requests of our fallen soldiers. In the end, a Pagan or Buddhist's blood is the same color as a Christian's blood after all. :twocents: :)

That's the crux! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But surely there isn't a problem?

• VA settles dispute with 11 Wiccan families
• Families can display Wiccan symbol, a pentacle, on soldiers' graves
• Five-pointed star joins 38 other approved symbols
• Wiccans hope to get markers ready by Memorial Day

everyone has a right to believe in what they believe, yes? :)

"This settlement has forced the Bush Administration into acknowledging that there are no second class religions in America, including among our nation's veterans," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which represented the Wiccans in the lawsuit.

Wicca is a nature-based religion based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons. Variations of the pentacle not accepted by Wiccans have been used in horror movies as a sign of the devil.

quite!

The Wiccan pentacle isn't of the 'devil'. Wicca is a gentle religion. IMO.

Yes, indeed it is Floh!
I am so glad that is finally being recognized as such. For quite a long while, we have had to endure a stigma that was not deserved. Most associate Wicca with the devil....which is soo ironic because Wiccans don't believe in the devil! The Devil is a christianity figure and does not cross into our beliefs. In fact, most Wiccans are gentle because we truly believe in the 3 fold rule....and we harm none! Every day is Earth day when you're Wiccan.

Hooray for these families! I'm glad that the peolpe who have given their life for our country can now rest in peace...and be recognized for who they are.

I think many people confuse Wiccan with Satanism because many goth kids themselves are sporting that they are Wiccan...so people obviously draw erroneous conclusions.

I think many people confuse Wiccan with Satanism because many goth kids themselves are sporting that they are Wiccan...so people obviously draw erroneous conclusions.

You are so right! I said as much on one of the Wiccan boards one time and you should have seen the way the goth kids jumped on me. :eek:
I stood my ground. I told them that I not Wiccan because it's the "cool" thing to do. I am a third generation Wiccan and take my beliefs serioulsy. I told them that I am offended by the way they represent Wiccan beliefs as something dark and sinister. They think they can cast bad "spells" on people who have wronged them...which is so erroneous. If they were a true Wiccan they would know that putting negative vibes out there with the intent to harm is not allowed! Posers! :razz:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/washington/24wiccan.html

*Snip* quoting GWB:
“I don’t think witchcraft is a religion,” Mr. Bush said at the time, according to a transcript. “I would hope the military officials would take a second look at the decision they made.”
*end Snip*

He is so glib! (insert Tom Cruise joke here :D )
Thank the gods that Bush has spoken out against it in the past.....that is a sure fire way to get it passed! :dance:

A different artcle said that Wicca is one of the fastest growing "religions" in the US. More people are turning to the oldest religion.
hmmmm, I have to think that the saying is true that history repeats itself. At one time, long, long ago...Paganism was all there was... until Christianity took over. :silenced:

You are so right! I said as much on one of the Wiccan boards one time and you should have seen the way the goth kids jumped on me. :eek:
I stood my ground. I told them that I not Wiccan because it's the "cool" thing to do. I am a third generation Wiccan and take my beliefs serioulsy. I told them that I am offended by the way they represent Wiccan beliefs as something dark and sinister. They think they can cast bad "spells" on people who have wronged them...which is so erroneous. If they were a true Wiccan they would know that putting negative vibes out there with the intent to harm is not allowed! Posers! :razz:

Exactly. Thanks for elaborating on my comment.

The fact is that our soldiers fight in order for us to have these freedoms..
Ironic that then their families had to fight for these beliefs to be displayed on their grave stones.

Even is Wiccan was devil worship .. At last check in America you have the right to believe whatever you want.

HELP!

Is it appropriate to refer to those who practice Wicca as witches?

B/c CNN has video up with the title "Widow has OK for witch sign on soldier's grave"

That seems inappropriate to me.

I've emailed them b/c whether the term is OK or not, it seems most people says "Wiccan".

Here's the link if anyone wants to email too -
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/dotcom/

I submitted under Grammar - b/c I think they're most likely to look at it.
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form7.html?1

And here's what I said -
In your video posted about the recent decision on religious symbols on soldier's grave, the headline refers to "witch symbol".

"Witch" is not the appropriate term. "Wiccan" should be used. Please change immediately.

While all Wiccan's are Witches, not all Witches are Wiccans.

The term Witch is acceptable for all true Wiccans.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back