GUILTY IN - Three Children Killed at School Bus Stop, Fulton County, Rochester, 30 Oct 2018 *Arrest*

I am not in any way defending the driver, but how many of us have driven, distracted by other things, arrived at the destination, completely surprised. I have driven while distracted. And after reading this, will make an effort to be mindful while driving. I have never been in an accident or caused one, but I can see how this could easily happen. Sadly.

I am not defending the driver but it doesn't help that in Indiana at the time of the accident, it was still dark. We are unfortunately on the most western part of the east time zone and we had daylight savings at the time. The pictures taken at the time of the accident shows how dark still was.

If it were still dark, the lights would have been more noticeable, IMHO, and all the more reason to stop. Even if someone isn't sure what type of vehicle was flashing its lights, whether it be a police car, ambulance, plow truck, or tow truck, those lights are there for a reason, to alert drivers to use caution. If someone doesn't know that, they have no business being on the road. If someone can't see them illuminating the darkness, they're not fit to drive.

I agree Alleykins. There was a driver directly behind Alyssa and she clearly saw the bus with all the lights flashing and the red Stop arm out. That same driver saw the children illuminated in Alyssa's headlights. Bottom line is she did not have her eyes on the road and 3 children are dead because of it. Alyssa did not swerve nor did she brake.

This story has really gotten to me.

I am not in any way defending the driver, but how many of us have driven, distracted by other things, arrived at the destination, completely surprised. I have driven while distracted. And after reading this, will make an effort to be mindful while driving. I have never been in an accident or caused one, but I can see how this could easily happen. Sadly.
ITA. Our streets and highways are full of distracted drivers. I have been one and it startles me when I realize it. The driver had three children with her and I wonder if this was her daily routine or a change and that's why the flashing lights didn't register in her brain.

There have been cases where there is a change in a parent's routine and tragedy results. The distracted parent totally forgets their child is in the car and they die in the heat. Years ago a woman was prosecuted in Iowa and the Judge found her not guilty because she didn't intentionally forget her baby was in the car. The community was outraged.

From every person pulled over, this is why they didn't stop:

If you didn't see it, then you must have been distracted and should get a ticket for that as well OR have a visual impairment and should not be driving.
30 tickets - one stop

Ten tickets is a lot in such a short period of time! At least that school district didn't require children to cross the busy highway to get to the school bus.

Ten tickets is a lot in such a short period of time! At least that school district didn't require children to cross the busy highway to get to the school bus.

What is really terrible about this story, is that the Mothers had to actually show video footage to the police, to get them to come out to the area and pull drivers over.

I do know a lot of people who drive with vision problems, sadly. They just don't want to give up driving and have numerous justifications and excuses for not giving up driving. And with the aging baby boomer population, it is going to be more of an issue.

Just wanted to share this link. It's a news report relating to the bus company I drive for and the school district regarding stop arm violations .

School districts report drivers ignoring bus laws
I wonder how much today's driver's ed instruction is emphasizing the importance of these laws and how many older people are forgetting them. There needs to be a public service campaign before every school year starts that is similar to the "baby in hot car" campaigns. I think we also need to get rid of daylight saving time. Kids should not be waiting at bus stops in the dark.

If it were still dark, the lights would have been more noticeable, IMHO, and all the more reason to stop. Even if someone isn't sure what type of vehicle was flashing its lights, whether it be a police car, ambulance, plow truck, or tow truck, those lights are there for a reason, to alert drivers to use caution. If someone doesn't know that, they have no business being on the road. If someone can't see them illuminating the darkness, they're not fit to drive.

In Indiana our school buses have bright white strobe lights on top along with the usual red flashing lights. You can actually see them better when it is dark than in daylight.

they should have a crossing guard in florescent vest riding on each bus who accompanies the children safely across the road just like they do at intersections - would take more time maybe and cost money but worth it

they should have a crossing guard in florescent vest riding on each bus who accompanies the children safely across the road just like they do at intersections - would take more time maybe and cost money but worth it

I think that would be a great idea. Speaking for my school district and bus company there would be no way they could hire people to do that. And it's not that there are so many buses but lack of willing people to do it. I also wonder if it would really help? In the incident local to me it would not have. But possibly another solution to consider.

Honestly if the driver in this case couldn’t see flashing red school bus light, and a white strobe light she wouldn’t have seen a crossing guard in a fluorescent vest.

The tragedy would have been even worse with five people hit.

There is a school bus stop on my route to work, before the stop, on both sides of the road, are signs that clearly indicates that there is a school bus stop upcoming. The road is also painted with large white letters, "School Bus Stop". I wonder if this stop was clearly marked, or just that the school bus stopped.

Not that it makes a difference, the driver should have stopped for the school bus. But the signs do make a difference.

Regardless of what she thought the flashing lights were, they ALWAYS mean slow the heck down. We have laws that you have to pull over a lane or slow down if a cop has lights flashing for a stop. She said she saw the flashing lights and the driver in the car behind said they could see it was a school bus.

There is a school bus stop on my route to work, before the stop, on both sides of the road, are signs that clearly indicates that there is a school bus stop upcoming. The road is also painted with large white letters, "School Bus Stop". I wonder if this stop was clearly marked, or just that the school bus stopped.

Not that it makes a difference, the driver should have stopped for the school bus. But the signs do make a difference.

I just read that the road this happened on has 2 signs that state "bus stop ahead"

Regardless of what she thought the flashing lights were, they ALWAYS mean slow the heck down. We have laws that you have to pull over a lane or slow down if a cop has lights flashing for a stop. She said she saw the flashing lights and the driver in the car behind said they could see it was a school bus.

I posted something similar, and I agree. Doesn't matter what vehicle the flashing lights were coming from, they're there for a reason, and drivers should at least slow down and use caution on approach.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineSteph
Back