GUILTY MO - Clauddinnea 'Dee Dee' Blancharde, 48, Springfield, 10 June 2015 - #3

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 35m35 minutes ago
#GodejohnTrial - The jury has been deliberating 2 hours. No questions.

DsKCBQYVYAIHX7y.jpg

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

Brea Douglas on Twitter
Brea Douglas‏ @BdouglasTV 32m32 minutes ago
2 hours later and the jury is still deliberating in the #GodejohnTrial

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 25m25 minutes ago
#GodejohnTrial - Godejohn waives is right to have the jury sentence him on the 2nd count IF it's a guilty on 1st degree.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 21m21 minutes ago
#GodejohnTrial - The jury finds Nicholas Godejohn GUILTY of 1st-degree murder.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 19m19 minutes ago
#GodejohnTrial - Two female jurors haven't looked up this whole time. Godejohn is staring forward. Godejohn's father and cousin have their heads down.

Jenifer Abreu on Twitter
Jenifer Abreu‏Verified account @jeniferabreutv 17m17 minutes ago
Jury: Nicholas Godejohn guilty of first degree murder. #GodejohnTrial

Jenifer Abreu on Twitter
Jenifer Abreu‏Verified account @jeniferabreutv 16m16 minutes ago
Jenifer Abreu Retweeted Jenifer Abreu

Jury recommends life in prison without parole. #GodejohnTrial

Jenifer Abreu added,
Jenifer AbreuVerified account @jeniferabreutv
Jury: Nicholas Godejohn guilty of first degree murder. #GodejohnTrial
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Great job jury!

The only concern I have is if this tweet from Emi's link is true then could Godejohn's attorney appeal based on the argument that the judge "told" them to recommend LWOP?
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

#GodejohnTrial - The judge tells the jury that if they find Godejohn guilty of murder in the first-degree they must set the penalty at LWOP. I've never heard a judge tells jurors before they deliberate in the guilty phase, what the penalty will be.
Cathy Russon on Twitter

Otherwise, IMO the jury made the correct call according to the definition of premeditation. Whether or not any mental issues will mitigate the sentence is anybody's guess but I'm leaning towards no.

Logically speaking (as opposed to what the law may dictate) Godejohn's actions clearly illustrated that he had the capacity to think the murder through. The defense tried to argue that he wasn't "smart" in some of his decisions but that's irrelevant - we see murderers make dumb mistakes in most of the cases here. In fact Godejohn showed that he could plan well enough to come up with a list of items needed and he even chose the type of knife he wanted to use.

Anyway, I'm glad justice was done. Like the prosecution said, Dee Dee should have been punished for her actions in a courtroom and not in her bedroom in the middle of the night.
MOO.

Thanks Emi and Jewels! You were both terrific in your updates!

Great job jury!

The only concern I have is if this tweet from Emi's link is true then could Godejohn's attorney appeal based on the argument that the judge "told" them to recommend LWOP?
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson

#GodejohnTrial - The judge tells the jury that if they find Godejohn guilty of murder in the first-degree they must set the penalty at LWOP. I've never heard a judge tells jurors before they deliberate in the guilty phase, what the penalty will be.
Cathy Russon on Twitter

Otherwise, IMO the jury made the correct call according to the definition of premeditation. Whether or not any mental issues will mitigate the sentence is anybody's guess but I'm leaning towards no.

Logically speaking (as opposed to what the law may dictate) Godejohn's actions clearly illustrated that he had the capacity to think the murder through. The defense tried to argue that he wasn't "smart" in some of his decisions but that's irrelevant - we see murderers make dumb mistakes in most of the cases here. In fact Godejohn showed that he could plan well enough to come up with a list of items needed and he even chose the type of knife he wanted to use.

Anyway, I'm glad justice was done. Like the prosecution said, Dee Dee should have been punished for her actions in a courtroom and not in her bedroom in the middle of the night.
MOO.

Thanks Emi and Jewels! You were both terrific in your updates!

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is according to Missouri law, it has to be life without parole since the death penalty was off the table. So, though it was odd to mention, it was a statement of fact of what the penalty would automatically be and not a suggestion.

I had actually wondered if the judge said that in case the jury was sympathetic--to remind them what the automatic penalty was going to be if they went with 1st degree instead of a lesser charge.

I am glad it worked out how it did. He's obviously not fully functional, but he clearly was fully capable of joining in the planning and by his own words premeditated.

Cathy Russon on Twitter
Cathy Russon‏ @cathyrusson 11h11 hours ago
#GodejohnTrial - This trial won't leave me for a while.The victim was completely unsympathetic.Gypsy suffered horrific abuse her entire life. Godejohn will spend the rest of his life behind bars and I'm still not sure how I feel about that

bbm
I am like Cathy I am not sure how I feel about Godejohn spending the rest of his life in prison. If you watched him and his actions he seemed like he wasn't sure what was going on. The way he waved to his father and cousin was more childlike. He also had to have things repeated to him. I feel like he should be punished just maybe not life. I hope he is not put in general population as I really don't think he will do well. jmo

How did she made herself out to be innocent when she admitted it was her idea to kill her mother and she talked him into it?
That was maybe a poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps I should say as others have made her out to be. I see a lot of stuff saying she should have served no time, and I disagree with that. I suspect she did manipulate him, but I also suspect she doesn't really know any other way to treat people because of the way her mother raised her. It's a sad situation all around.

If you can share, scammed how?
She and her family ran a local charity for kids with cancer. They provided Dee Dee and Gypsy with an all-expenses-paid vacation when Gypsy was about 13, about 14-15 years ago. No documentary or journalist has ever contacted her or her family, though some of her pictures of Gypsy have been used. Probably because the photos were found with the Blanchards and nobody realized who originally took them. In her official debriefing, my former boss wrote that you would never think Gypsy was sick! Prophetic words! She and her family were sick with grief when the murder and Gypsy's disappearance were first reported.

Last edited:
I think someone like Gypsy is very hard to evaluate due to the extent and depth of the abuse she went through. She essentially was taught/pressured/forced to lie from the time she was a small child. What sort of mind should we expect her to have based on that?

In her mind, she was escaping captivity. It would be difficult to try to put ourselves in her shoes to know exactly what her life felt like in the months leading up to to the murder, and then to understand why murder was the option she chose. People have murdered for much smaller reasons.

It will take her decades, if she is motivated, to try to undo the damage and distortion that has been inflicted on her mind and personality.

I think someone like Gypsy is very hard to evaluate due to the extent and depth of the abuse she went through. She essentially was taught/pressured/forced to lie from the time she was a small child. What sort of mind should we expect her to have based on that?

In her mind, she was escaping captivity. It would be difficult to try to put ourselves in her shoes to know exactly what her life felt like in the months leading up to to the murder, and then to understand why murder was the option she chose. People have murdered for much smaller reasons.

It will take her decades, if she is motivated, to try to undo the damage and distortion that has been inflicted on her mind and personality.
ITA. She seems to be doing better in actual captivity (prison) than with her mother. She certainly looks a lot better, like a normal woman her age, rather than mentally disabled child. At least she should get out while still young so she can experience life while not imprisoned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back