Jerry Buting interview on Arm Chair Expert Podcast

proudfootz

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been cited already, but I found this discussion of the justice system to feature some interesting aspects relevant to the case against Steven Avery in Teresa Halbach's disappearance.

About 22 minutes in Buting mentions a study by the FBI which showed a shocking percentage of cases where FBI employees misrepresented 'scientific' evidence to help convict defendants. In some of the cases the accused ended up being executed!

Jerry Buting

I did actually listen to this. I didn't do a write up for it though. It was Ok, but more of a primer for the general brokenness of the justice system as opposed to Avery/Dassey specific stuff. I don't think it has anything too new to people familiar with the criminal justice boondoggle.

Dax Shepard is much more personable than you'd think just by looking at him. Also his wife comes in at the end and fact checks things he says during the interview and tells him all the things he got wrong, which is a wonderful gimmick.

The discussion is pretty far ranging, including some biographical information.

I do find the general brokenness of the system to be significant for me. What happened to Steven and Brendan is not a one-off.

Just MOO

The discussion is pretty far ranging, including some biographical information.

I do find the general brokenness of the system to be significant for me. What happened to Steven and Brendan is not a one-off.

Just MOO
Oh yeah, definitely. Just saying, if you want new insights into this case, you won't get it here. If you want to hear first hand experiences of a trial lawyer working within a broken system, the interview has some good stuff for that. It is quite listenable, but nothing most of us here probably haven't heard before. If you know someone just getting into true crime, you might try recommending it. It is educational and it doesn't really feel like it overstays its welcome. Shepherd comes across as really thoughful and genuinely interested/well-versed in the subject.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back