GUILTY South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016 - #2

Oh I've just had a thought. Maybe the numbers are there for days when they have multiple short hearings, like people being charged, and they are given a case number and told where to sit. That could explain them sometimes being taken out of order and the magistrate or judge has those numbers on their paperwork. Anyway, I'm out of suggestions now.

It rather sounds to me as if he knew on the first day her family arrived at the hotel that he would end up in court and they would discover the affair, so he told them because he didn't want them to discover his deception later on and give them more reason to despise him. Although I suppose he had to give them Susan's motive for "hanging herself"too. Yes, I think having a young mistress gave him an ego-boost. Maybe she liked the fact he was the CEO. I can't think what else was attractive about him, being a cheat to boot.

Of course, he wanted to come across as credible and truthful. He did not have a choice. But why not say, the reason Susan committed suicide is because I had an affair with a lady / colleague / employee / Ms. Alterskye. Why use her first name in a situation like this?

Of course, he wanted to come across as credible and truthful. He did not have a choice. But why not say, the reason Susan committed suicide is because I had an affair with a lady / colleague / employee / Ms. Alterskye. Why use her first name in a situation like this?
Do you think he may have been trying to protect her full identity? IDK.

Well I cannot say what he was thinking, but protecting her identity? Doubt it. By that time everyone from the company - at least those present at the hotel- knew about the affair.
Sorry I thought you meant that is how he referred to her during his televised evidence in court. How do we know how he referred to her on the day? I must have forgotten it.

Sorry I thought you meant that is how he referred to her during his televised evidence in court. How do we know how he referred to her on the day? I must have forgotten it.

Oops, my bad, it was not the day of the murder at the hotel; it was during the family meeting on Friday. From Mark Holmes' (Susan's brother) testimony: "He also shared with us he'd been having an affair with a Jolene, that's what I know, her name's Jolene"

If you get a chance, listen to the video.
It appears VDS doesn't have a great deal to present.
All this would have been known previously.
Perhaps they may now also have a friend of Rohde, for a character witness, who VDS hasn't spoken to, and doesn't even know his name!!!!!
So perhaps still searching for someone.
Just a waste of time.
Glad Rohde is still in Prison, as the way VDS was speaking, I thought he would request a meeting away from this confined place, where only one person could sit.
What a pity, he doesn't have his own comfortable lounge room.

I thought 'victim statements' were only from family.
Would Rohde's friend, presenting a character witness statement be allowed?
The Judge did not say it wouldn't.:(

Thanks to all for the updates. Much appreciated.
I’m going to do it! I am! What is the purpose of those large numbers pinned up on the front of the Dock in SA trials? TIA
The guesses here are quite correct. In South Africa there are often multiple accused on trial. They are are then numbered and remain that way through the trial always sitting behind the designated number. The current case of Hannah Cornelius was a case in point. There were 4 accused and you will often hear them described as accused no 1 or 2 instead of by name. In the case of rape the accused may not be named until they have pled to the charge. In these cases they will then be refered to as number such and such

Rohde’s 18-year-old daughters Josie and Alexandra, who are writing matric exams at Diocesan School for Girls in Grahamstown, heard about their father’s fate as they walked into their Afrikaans exam.

I find this heartless and tactless and probably par for the course. Only a person who thinks only of them selves would be so calculating. Could this not have been kept from them until they had least written the exam. The trial has taken so long another few hours would not have mattered. Emotinal blackmail comes to mind

Yep, Wednesday 5th Dec.

Not sure what time, prob 10am, but best to set the alarm for 9:30am just in case.

That would be 4.00pm for me, but I’ll be on watch an hour before to be sure! :D

Morning all. Delay in proceedings because of loadshedding I'm reading on twitter.

It's taken me 10 minutes to get on the site! I hope we don't have problems here too.

Dto3q9GXgAAcrxw.jpg

Jason Rohde handcuffed and in running shoes arrives for sentencing proceedings. BUT load shedding halts proceedings and he is led down to cells again.

(@AJGMolyneaux) | Twitter

Rescheduled for 12:00am Wed. 5/12. That's 9:00pm for me!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back