NJ - Multiple Deaths in Mansion Fire, Monmouth County, Colts Neck, 20 Nov 2018 *Arrest*

Maybe he was also trying to destroy evidence in his own yard, and wind spread the fire to his own home. To try to “eliminate” a connection between his fire and the dead family he attempted to build a connection between the fires.

Silly though, a house like that has security cameras.

Good point. Perhaps he was burning bloody clothing or something in the back yard and accidentally caught his house on fire.

HOUSE FIRE
Colts Neck mansion fire: Deaths of 2 children, 2 adults believed homicide, brother in custody

Updated 1 hr 18 mins ago
COLTS NECK, N.J. (WPVI) --
Investigators believe that the two children and two adults found dead in the Colts Neck mansion fire are victims of homicide, per an official briefed on the probe.

Paul Caneiro, the brother of the man who owned the mansion, is now in custody at the Monmouth County jail, charged with setting his own home in Ocean Township on fire.

The criminal complaint says Caneiro's wife and two daughters were inside at the time.

Is it possible to successfully set up a fire to ignite much later? It seems that one could pour the gasoline or leave gas on (“gas leak”...ahem) and have something that would ignite the fire later.

This was done in a horrible murder of a priest in Eureka CA, but was unsuccessful. Gas burners were left on and a cigar placed nearby, but the cigar went out. The killer also tried to set the body on fire and failed.

California man charged with priest's murder allegedly tried to light body on fire, blow up rectory - NY Daily News

GUILTY - CA - Father Eric Freed, murdered in church rectory, Eureka, 1 Jan 2014

HOUSE FIRE
Colts Neck mansion fire: Deaths of 2 children, 2 adults believed homicide, brother in custody

Updated 1 hr 18 mins ago
COLTS NECK, N.J. (WPVI) --
Investigators believe that the two children and two adults found dead in the Colts Neck mansion fire are victims of homicide, per an official briefed on the probe.

Paul Caneiro, the brother of the man who owned the mansion, is now in custody at the Monmouth County jail, charged with setting his own home in Ocean Township on fire.

The criminal complaint says Caneiro's wife and two daughters were inside at the time.
The aggravated arson is because his own wife and two children were inside their home when he started that fire. Maybe he wanted them dead, too? It was 5:00AM, maybe the wife and kids were still asleep in bed? Yikes!

Is it possible to successfully set up a fire to ignite much later? It seems that one could pour the gasoline or leave gas on (“gas leak”...ahem) and have something that would ignite the fire later.

This was done in a horrible murder of a priest in Eureka CA, but was unsuccessful. Gas burners were left on and a cigar placed nearby, but the cigar went out. The killer also tried to set the body on fire and failed.

California man charged with priest's murder allegedly tried to light body on fire, blow up rectory - NY Daily News
Yes. IED (improvised explosive device) with an ignition that can be triggered with a cell phone call - popular among factions in Iraq.

If this played out the way we think it did, the murders took place at night. Was Paul at home? Will his wife “stand by her man” and claim he was home watching Netflix? What time did she go to sleep?

I look forward to hearing more about why LE knew he had started the fire at his own house.

Brother Of Colts Neck Neck Fire Victim Charged With Arson

Paul is quoted as saying “it must have been a gas leak” at his house...but LE found gas cans behind his house?
Wow.
And why did LE let Paul leave his house? Do you think PU then drove the 10 miles to Keith’s house?
Very sad. This time of year is stressful for many people.

JMO

Family Of Four Dead In New Jersey Mansion Fire, Victim's Brother Arrested For Arson

Press conference is at 2:00 p.m.

Chris Swendeman from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office told Radar, “There will be a press conference held at 2 pm at our Freehold Office. The brother is being charged with second degree aggravated arson. At this time we have not connected him to the family deaths. It is still an open investigation.”

If this played out the way we think it did, the murders took place at night. Was Paul at home? Will his wife “stand by her man” and claim he was home watching Netflix? What time did she go to sleep?

I look forward to hearing more about why LE knew he had started the fire at his own house.

I feel if their home was untouched or unharmed MAYBE but she is a mother and she and their children were in the residence. Not sure about that

I feel if their home was untouched or unharmed MAYBE but she is a mother and she and their children were in the residence. Not sure about that
Yeah. It’s pretty clear what the implication is here. Paul also tried kill his own family.

I doubt she would stand by him through that.

Family Of Four Dead In New Jersey Mansion Fire, Victim's Brother Arrested For Arson

Press conference is at 2:00 p.m.

Chris Swendeman from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office told Radar, “There will be a press conference held at 2 pm at our Freehold Office. The brother is being charged with second degree aggravated arson. At this time we have not connected him to the family deaths. It is still an open investigation.”

I hope someone on the east coast will post a link to the press conference. It should start in about 10 minutes.

Paul is quoted as saying “it must have been a gas leak” at his house...but LE found gas cans behind his house?
Wow.
And why did LE let Paul leave his house? Do you think PU then drove the 10 miles to Keith’s house?
Very sad. This time of year is stressful for many people.

JMO
I do find it odd that LE let Paul leave his house. I would have thought that they would have brought him in for questioning, especially if the fire appeared suspicious at the outset.

Arson investigations do take time though, and perhaps they wanted to wait for more evidence until they brought him in.

I’m sure that some people feel pretty bad about this, if this is how it went down.

So it seems that there was an explosion. I had missed this earlier.

• A neighbor in the rural Monmouth County horse country said she saw smoke coming from their property, but assumed the Caneiros were having a fire in their fireplace. Moments later, she told the Asbury Park Press she heard a "boom" and realized something bad was occurring at the property.

Inna Volshteyn’s house on Evergreen Lane abuts the Caneiros’ property. On Tuesday, the day of the fire, Volshteyn said her groundskeepers alerted her husband about fire at the Caneiros’ home. Her husband went to the Caneiros’ home and found the front door open. Inside, he saw a body face down on the floor, she said. He then called 911, Volshteyn said.

Colts Neck fire shakes town: 'It's so scary ... This doesn't happen here'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back