JonBenet Ramsey's Autopsy

lowanda

Reaction score
The initial autopsy of JonBenet Ramsey showed that her death was caused by strangulation and a skull fracture. Officially, cause of death was "asphyxia by strangulation associated with craniocerebral trauma'. There was, and still remains, a question of sexual assault because there was evidence that there had been a vaginal injury. Her death was officially ruled a homicide.
She was strangled by a length of nylon cord. Attached to this cord was the broken handle of a paintbrush. This was tied around JonBenet's neck. A fraction of the bristle end of the paintbrush was later found in a tub where Patsy Ramsey, Jonbenet's mother, kept her art supplies. But, the bottom third of it was never found, despite extensive searching of the house by the police in subsequent days.
Based on this Autopsy, Who do you think killed JonBenet Ramsey?

The initial autopsy of JonBenet Ramsey showed that her death was caused by strangulation and a skull fracture. Officially, cause of death was "asphyxia by strangulation associated with craniocerebral trauma'. There was, and still remains, a question of sexual assault because there was evidence that there had been a vaginal injury. Her death was officially ruled a homicide.
She was strangled by a length of nylon cord. Attached to this cord was the broken handle of a paintbrush. This was tied around JonBenet's neck. A fraction of the bristle end of the paintbrush was later found in a tub where Patsy Ramsey, Jonbenet's mother, kept her art supplies. But, the bottom third of it was never found, despite extensive searching of the house by the police in subsequent days.

After reading Chief Kolar’s book and the CBS 2016 presentation, I think the evidence points towards the family. The ruling was ‘homicide’ but, since I think the garrotting was staged, I would personally suggest a more accurate description of the crime as manslaughter or accidental death.
The principle victim was Jonbenet Ramsey; however, life would never be the same for the myriad persons of interest, the Boulder populace, the Boulder Police, and of course for her grieving family. When at first we do deceive, what a tangled web we weave.

Last edited:
I'm new to this site and honestly to reading anything about JonBonet (other than stuff here or there when it originally happened and through the years)… I started reading and watching yesterday.
I have a question and wonder what the estimated time of death was?

I think the father and son played a major role in the death. This is my theory on the matter. I think that the brother was jealous of JonBenet and how she was the "golden" child and getting attention that he was no longer getting. Then on Christmas eve JB did something that sent him over the edge and he hit her with something thus knocking her unconscious. He then freaked out and told his parents what had happened. When they noticed that JB was unconscious (thinking she was deceased) the father strangled her and staged the garrotte. The mother then created a fake ransom letter and alerted the police about their daughter. Once police arrives they invite family and friends over to create a rouse that they are mourning. Coincidentally, the father found her downstairs in the basement and carried her body to the main floor. I think the reason why they freaked out, panicked and did what they did is because they would only lose one child (JB) and not lose both of them. (one deceased and one in jail).

I think the father and son played a major role in the death. This is my theory on the matter. I think that the brother was jealous of JonBenet and how she was the "golden" child and getting attention that he was no longer getting. Then on Christmas eve JB did something that sent him over the edge and he hit her with something thus knocking her unconscious. He then freaked out and told his parents what had happened. When they noticed that JB was unconscious (thinking she was deceased) the father strangled her and staged the garrotte. The mother then created a fake ransom letter and alerted the police about their daughter. Once police arrives they invite family and friends over to create a rouse that they are mourning. Coincidentally, the father found her downstairs in the basement and carried her body to the main floor. I think the reason why they freaked out, panicked and did what they did is because they would only lose one child (JB) and not lose both of them. (one deceased and one in jail).

Derpina10,
You could be right. Just about everyone except John and Burke accept the crime-scene was staged.

The staging was so successful there is no smoking gun, we cannot point a finger.

It might really be PDI with John and Burke playing along knowing full well who killed JonBenet, but its become such a moneyspinner, they just keep the JonBenet case rolling, tossing out tweaks and nuggets of new information, e.g. flashlight, Burke snuck back downstairs ?

The autopsy findings:

The coroner found "deep ligature furrow encircles the entire neck'' and there were hemorrhages and abrasions around the marks, the autopsy report notes.

Jonbenet sustained a large hole in the skull and an 8.5 inch crack that was completely split open down either side of it.

There were two individuals who were present in the home the night JonBenet died who possessed the physical strength to cause the injuries that are noted in the autopsy report. John Ramsey and Patsy Ramsey.

From the autopsy report:

Vaginal Mucosa: All of the sections contain vascular congestion and focal interstitial chronic inflammation. the smallest piece of tissue, from the 7:00 position of the vaginal wall/hymen, contain epithelial erosion with underlying capillary congestion.

The body is trying to heal itself overtime. There is evidence of prior trauma as noted by chronic inflammation. The tissue of the vaginal wall contains erosion.

There was one individual who was present in the home on the night of the homicide who had a clear motive to keep JonBenet out of an ER were evidence of an additional crime would have been uncovered.

"Dr. Cyril Wecht, a well-known forensic pathologist, has no doubt that the 45-pound child was molested.“If she had been taken to a hospital emergency room, and doctors had seen the genital evidence, her father would have been arrested,” he has said."

Missing Innocence/Vanity Fair/1997

There is nothing unique about this case other than what became of it. The start point to this tragedy was what would have been a typical child abuse homicide caused by battering and caused by a parent. It happens all the time.

I'm new to this site and honestly to reading anything about JonBonet (other than stuff here or there when it originally happened and through the years)… I started reading and watching yesterday.
I have a question and wonder what the estimated time of death was?

Unfortunately the coroner did not do the eye test that could have estimated the time of death.

Unfortunately, this test was in use a few years later.
The Journal of Chemical and Experimental Pathology, ISSN2161-0681, states that using vitrous fluid to determine time of death has been a postmortem practice since the 1960's. The process was introduced by HN Nauman in 1959. Your comment, archiel, came across to me as being contradictory to the process being a practice at the time of JB's death, so it led me to do some fact finding. I lurk this forum regularly, and there are many times I am confused by your posts. In the event there are facts about this case that get posted inaccurately, whether intended or not, my "feathers are ruffled". Little JB was victimized beyond any shred of reason during and after her death due to intentional actions, and as the time goes by it just becomes more tragic that her case remains confusing and unsolved, giving her the justice that she deserves, IMO. Opinions are not the same as facts, so I respectfully reserve my responses to opinions regarding JB'S death, short of case facts being compromised. There are a few others on this forum which are usually quick with case fact corrections, and thankfully so. A special shout out to UK Guy, who I would tout as one of JB's heros in honoring justice for JB. UK clearly has a gifted ability to keep his facts lined up and to the ready. Besides that, he hangs in there and remains devoted to the discussion of this unsolved case, which is very honoring to JB'S memory. Some of us following this case, though doing so in lurk mode, will never give up hope of a confession coming forth, based on what we have carefully studied through many sources. And most here are RDI through and through. I, myself, am not BDI, but am nearly fully convinced JDI.

Last edited:
btw.

You should understand it was 6 years old moved from a cold cellar to a wormer 1st floor.

Children have a different temperature and eye humor is/was not widely spread in autopsies.

I found a report yesterday that only 60% autopsies are giving a time of death and even less are using eye humor. (2014 or so)

btw.

You should understand it was 6 years old moved from a cold cellar to a wormer 1st floor.

Children have a different temperature and eye humor is/was not widely spread in autopsies.

I found a report yesterday that only 60% autopsies are giving a time of death and even less are using eye humor. (2014 or so)

Points taken. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised that the process used by the Boulder ME was not as thorough as it might have been....much like the botched police work that prevailed, and has been duly noted by case reviewers. I can't help but wonder if JB's death had occurred under the same circumstances in a city with a more adept and staffed body of law enforcement, if she would have received her due justice long ago. MOO

Her brother, Burke.
It means someone tried to kill her three ways, and to me that is childhood stupidity as well as extremely personal.
Thirdly, I believe the person wasn't very strong, and had trouble executing their plan.

Her brother, Burke.
It means someone tried to kill her three ways, and to me that is childhood stupidity as well as extremely personal.
Thirdly, I believe the person wasn't very strong, and had trouble executing their plan.

Cherry,
You could be right. I think this is Kolar's unstated theory, as he references medical issues possibly then affecting Burke?

If you think the wine-cellar crime-scene has been staged then cui bono, who does it benefit? Certainly not Patsy who staged herself into the crime-scene.

That leaves Burke or JR, now speculating the case is JDI, does JR need to use so much violence and effect such an amateurish crime-scene staging, I reckon not.

That leaves Burke, after following Holme's advice, eliminating the improbable etc. One puzzling aspect to the staging is, was JonBenet sexually assaulted or is it staging?

I think it is both, she was sexually assaulted then as she was being staged she was injured internally by the use of the paintbrush. There is a piece missing, which might have been redacted from the autopsy report, as only the killer can explain its presence.

Many think because there is evidence from the paintbrush found inside JonBenet, i.e. splinter, Steve Thomas' description this means she must have been assaulted in the basement, not so !

It looks to me as if JonBenet was assaulted in her bedroom, then moved down to the basement and staged there.

Anyone who thinks the use of the paintbrush was part of the original assault has to explain its subsequent use as staging and what it was doing upstairs? Note it finds its way back to the paint-tote, such a considerate intruder.

The Grand Jury levelled Counts of assisting an offender against both parents suggesting they were implicated in the staging.

The thing to ask is why the wine-cellar, why not her bedroom or the breakfast bar? This implies nearly everything in the wine-cellar has been staged, right down to JonBenet's underwear.

Lots of staged crime-scenes are arranged, in place, to mask whatever happened, consider David Carradine who played Kwai Chang Caine, in the television series Kung Fu, who was found dead in a closet in his hotel room in Bangkok, Thailand due to a fatal autoerotic asphyxiation accident. Relatives in such circumstances usually stage the crime-scene to hide the autoerotic feature.

Sidebar: years ago there was a joke doing the rounds at parties and bars, etc. Master, yes Caine, Master when will I know I am enlightened? It was padded out with meditation allusions, eventually Master replies to Caine When your eyes are like mine !, e.g. it was a sexual allusion.

Very ironic indeed.

It does not appear JonBenet was staged where she was originally assaulted, suggesting this is a big clue?

JonBenet was redressed to match the parents version of events, but the staging was really amateurish, another clue implying another hand at work?

Meaning the case could be BDI with the parents staging away incriminating evidence and tweaking JonBenet's appearance to suggest she was assaulted by the paintbrush and asphyxiated both by the paintbrush and ligature, whilst this might simply represent staging?

Points taken. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised that the process used by the Boulder ME was not as thorough as it might have been....much like the botched police work that prevailed, and has been duly noted by case reviewers. I can't help but wonder if JB's death had occurred under the same circumstances in a city with a more adept and staffed body of law enforcement, if she would have received her due justice long ago. MOO

midwest mama,
Thanks for your kind words, I've got over blushing so can post now. I reckon BPD were already aware, i.e. prior to JonBenet's death, due to mandatory reporting, fact check JonBenet was seeing a therapist so stuff was going on and Dr. Andrew Sirontak, Chief of Denver Children’s Hospital Child Protection Team opined JonBenet showed signs of chronic sexual abuse after he examined JonBenet for a second time!

So there was a kind of quasi-legal conspiracy to sweep evidence under the carpet or just ignore it. I got to thinking if this is so, then why is Kolar spilling the beans?

Does Kolar have different ethics, etc or is it political?

IMO its the sexual abuse that is being covered up not who killed JonBenet?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back