CANADA Canada - Wayne Greavette, 43, killed by flashlight bomb,Ont,12 Dec.1996

dotr

Reaction score
‘National’ documentary to probe 1996 murder
89d274a8494ca61fbe45ee4958a0_Gallery.jpeg

"43-year-old Wayne Greavette was killed by a bomb that arrived in the mailbox at his Moffat-area farm.

Disguised as an early Christmas present, the unpretentious parcel contained a flashlight and a typewritten note with an ominous closing line: “…may you never have to buy another flashlight.”

Stuffed between the box — an emptied cardboard wine container — and the flashlight were crunched up flyers. One was for a Milton store, Copeland Lumber, now the Rona Cashway on Main Street near Wilson Drive. The bomb detonated when Greavette turned on the flashlight, killing him instantly in front of his wife and 21-year-old son.

The case was investigated by the OPP, but remains unsolved. There’s a $75,000 reward being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible."

doc016.jpg

The bomb that killed Wayne Greavette (2009)
"Case Summary:
Wayne Greavette opened what seemed like an early Christmas present on December 12th, 1996. The package contained a bomb that was disguised as a flashlight and when he turned it on, it exploded, killing him instantly. A letter that accompanied the bomb contained the names of some people Wayne knew along with a fake business proposal and return address. To date, the case is unsolved. At the time of his murder, Wayne and his family were developing a spring water business near Moffat, Ontario. Wayne’s widow Diane, and his two children Justin and Danielle have been tormented and consumed by the murder for thirteen years. In this program they confront the case together for the first time in an emotional and personal investigation of Wayne’s turbulent business past and secret private life. Take a front row seat as the Greavettes and filmmaker David Ridgen, examine one of the country’s most coldly horrifying murders and bring to light potentially important new evidence in the case."
wayne-greavette1.jpg

July 12 2018
img0039.jpg

Typewriter Forensics | Someone Knows Something
Could there be a lingering clue in the bomber's letter? Typewriter collector and historian Uwe Watchendorf examines the letter delivered with the flashlight bomb that killed Wayne Greavette in 1996. Uwe explains how forensic experts identify typewriter fonts and link them back to specific makes and models. Is there something about the way the letter was written that could reveal new details about the bomber? Listen to season 4 of Someone Knows Something: The Murder of Wayne Greavette from CBC Podcasts: http://www.cbc.ca/1.4517196

Well that's an unusual case. I wonder if any of the podcasts have looked into it. I can't recall having heard it on any of them so far.

The fourth season of the Canadian CBC series Someone Knows Something was about Wayne Greavette.

Listen to Season 4: Greavette | CBC Radio

The podcast just kind of petered off at the end though, which was pretty disappointing. I felt like there should have been at least one more episode.

Here's a Youtube related to the podcast:

I don't know how that family can be so bold as to approach old business associates and ask them if they killed their husband/father. Pretty brave.

Hella mystery!!!!

Have to learn more.....wow.

Last edited:
It's rare to have this much information available on an unsolved case - quite a whodunit imo.

While the planning was meticulous, it's hard to believe this case has never been solved.

It's awful how close WG's son, wife and brother came to also being killed or permanently injured by the bomb and had to see what the bomb did to WG's body. Horrible.

The fourth season of the Canadian CBC series Someone Knows Something was about Wayne Greavette.

Listen to Season 4: Greavette | CBC Radio

The podcast just kind of petered off at the end though, which was pretty disappointing. I felt like there should have been at least one more episode.

When David Ridgen interviewed Ed Galick Snr, Wayne Greavette's former boss, I got the distinct impression he was the guy.

However, when Ridgen interviewed Ed Galick Jnr, who had worked under Greavette, I was just as convinced he was the guy.

I would be surprised if it was neither of them.

Interesting that you should mention Galick (pronounced Gaelic, same as the culture/language) Cliff Hardy - the name on the letter that was sent with the bomb is French.

Surprised that there has since been 3 flashlight bomb incidents in Phoenix, also with no apparent motive or care as to who may get hurt. fwiw..
Flashlight bombs leave Phoenix authorities puzzled
June 9, 2012 rbbm.
"PHOENIX – Flick the switch on these flashlights and they don’t light up. They blow up.

Three of these bombs have exploded within the last month in the Phoenix area, causing minor injuries to five people and raising fears of more serious ones."
“The nature of the bombings are so random,” said Tom Mangan, a special agent at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Phoenix.

Mangan said the agency has ruled out any connection to terrorism because the targets have been random and there have been no messages or demands."

"Meanwhile, the bombings have stopped. The attention may have scared off those responsible, or they may gain confidence and strike again as the investigation stretches on without an arrest, criminal profiler Gregg McCrary said.

Details of the case lead the former FBI agent to think the culprit is either a man or two men, with one of them being a dominant leader and the other a follower.

As for motive, whoever is responsible may be bombing at random for various reasons, said McCrary, who teaches at Marymount University in Virginia.

“Typically these things are about wanting to feel superior and smarter than other people,” he said. They also might revel in the news coverage.

“There’ll be a vicarious thrill or excitement watching news coverage, and it’s kind of like: ‘Look what I’ve done.’ It’s a sense of empowerment that ‘I made all this happen,’ ” he said."

Thinking about the items contained with the flashlight, ie. a wine box, flyers for Rona and Copeland lumber and the items packed with the Phoenix flashlights bombings, and wondering what the message might be, if in fact there was one. The wine box was interesting, imo.fwiw..
A Serial Bomber in Phoenix
"There are reports that a pair of dice was found at the scene of one of the Glendale explosions, which has led some to speculate that the dice were left by the bomber as a calling card. Similarly, the box containing the booby-trapped flashlight in the Salvation Army attack also held books that were predominately concerned with murders and serial killers; this may also prove to be some sort of calling card."

Hmmm, somewhere in one of the podcasts, there is mention that Galick Sr regularly spent time in the states and WG and family looked after his house as well as his business while he was away.

Pretty sure the US destination was Arizona - not exactly sure where though. Also not sure where to listen for that segment now either.

Found the mention of EG going on extended vacations to Arizona. Quite a coincidence.

Episode 3 - The Deer.
At 5:54 - 'a couple of months vacation'
At 7:00 - '6 month vacation and WG and family moved into the Galick home'
At 8:55 - 'the vacation spot was Arizona'.

When David Ridgen interviewed Ed Galick Snr, Wayne Greavette's former boss, I got the distinct impression he was the guy.

However, when Ridgen interviewed Ed Galick Jnr, who had worked under Greavette, I was just as convinced he was the guy.

I would be surprised if it was neither of them.

I was picking up on the name Galick from here - Sr and Jr, and adding that the surname on the letter sent with bomb is William J. French. Both names are also cultures/languages.

sketches.png

"These two men were seen at the Acton, Ontario post office asking for Wayne's address a month before his murder in 1996. (Ontario Provincial Police)

In the fall of 1996, two men were seen at the Acton, Ontario post office asking two separate people for Wayne's address. One of the men was inside asking, while the other was outside asking."
The Sketches | CBC Radio

Maybe sketches generally all look similar, but the sketch of the man on the right in above post, reminds me of this sketch of a man wanted for murder.
Complete speculation, imo. fwiw.
Photos: Canada's most wanted for murder, attempted murder

4184867.jpg

"Murder Suspect: On Tuesday January 27, 1998, at 11 am., a 23 year old female clerk working at an Adults Only Video in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada was stabbed to death. The victim was Renée Sweeney, a fourth-year Laurentian University student. Cash and other items were missing from the store.Courtesy / RCMP"

sketches.png

"These two men were seen at the Acton, Ontario post office asking for Wayne's address a month before his murder in 1996. (Ontario Provincial Police)

In the fall of 1996, two men were seen at the Acton, Ontario post office asking two separate people for Wayne's address. One of the men was inside asking, while the other was outside asking."
The Sketches | CBC Radio

These sketches really seem like they should have been more usueful. They are probably not that accurate, given that people were being asked to recall what they looked like a month after seeing them. But these guys are SO distinctly different looking from one another. And I bet that part at least is accurate. Who knows what their role was. Maybe they were paid simply to get this information from the post office. Or maybe they were hired to do the job. The guy on the right looks like the muscle while the guy on the left looks like the possible bomb builder. Either way, it’s strange to me that no one has thought of a pair of friends, or business associates that were kind of an odd couple, like these two seem like they would have been. Maybe because the sketches aren’t. that accurate it never dawned on the right person to think outside the box. Not just if they knew these two, but if they knew two guys whose physical appearances stood in such contrast to one another. I’d love to see high school year books from the area from like the late 80’s early 90s. Imagine finding a pair of friends somewhere in one of them that could be these two? It’s kind of a stretch but if I lived in Acton, I’d try it.

Surprised that there has since been 3 flashlight bomb incidents in Phoenix, also with no apparent motive or care as to who may get hurt. fwiw..
Flashlight bombs leave Phoenix authorities puzzled
June 9, 2012 rbbm.
"PHOENIX – Flick the switch on these flashlights and they don’t light up. They blow up.

Three of these bombs have exploded within the last month in the Phoenix area, causing minor injuries to five people and raising fears of more serious ones."
“The nature of the bombings are so random,” said Tom Mangan, a special agent at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Phoenix.

Mangan said the agency has ruled out any connection to terrorism because the targets have been random and there have been no messages or demands."

"Meanwhile, the bombings have stopped. The attention may have scared off those responsible, or they may gain confidence and strike again as the investigation stretches on without an arrest, criminal profiler Gregg McCrary said.

Details of the case lead the former FBI agent to think the culprit is either a man or two men, with one of them being a dominant leader and the other a follower.

As for motive, whoever is responsible may be bombing at random for various reasons, said McCrary, who teaches at Marymount University in Virginia.

“Typically these things are about wanting to feel superior and smarter than other people,” he said. They also might revel in the news coverage.

“There’ll be a vicarious thrill or excitement watching news coverage, and it’s kind of like: ‘Look what I’ve done.’ It’s a sense of empowerment that ‘I made all this happen,’ ” he said."

This is interesting, considering the sketch of the two guys. But they were definitely looking for him. He was targeted. I personally do not think business was enough of a reason for a person to do this to someone. Especially when they had no idea if his children or wife could have opened it. This had to be motivated by pure hatred. So much anger and hate that they did not care what happened as long as it hurt him. He had many affairs, some with married women. My money based on what I know about this case is that a husband did this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back