GUILTY Australia - Khandalyce Pearce (Wynarka) and Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #11

Two women, and a man.

Logically, they all fell out. Trivial sums, fighting over peanuts, but a fight to the death over that card, the bank account, and the fortnightly payments.

Let's say, it was divided among the four of them. Holdom, Hazel, Uknown Man, Unknown Woman. Single parent payment, and rent assistance.. I don't know what other benefits, but just those, say. Divvied up among four.

That would be about 80 dollars each, a week. Maybe. A little less, maybe a little more.

Arguments over who had access, arguments over who got more, who got less, arguments over who is owed what, and who owes who.

What a quartet.

Unknown man. Might be the cousin. Unknown woman, cousin, or sister, or both. Merely theorizing.

There's a motive for shifting that suitcase into the middle of the highway, right there. Someone didn't get their 'rightful' share.

"At least three people - two women and a man - are thought to have been involved in the identity theft"

My take on this is that:

1. The man, of course, is DH.

2. The woman who went into a Centrelink branch at Salisbury in South Australia was not in a wheelchair? Possibilities? DH's sister? His female cousin? Unknown woman to us. The first step was to get Karlie's daughter's Birth Certificate from Centrelink for proof of identity of there being a family. In early 2010, "a woman went into a Centrelink branch at Salisbury in South Australia and falsely represented that she was Ms Pearce-Stevenson." I guess all she had to do was to show KP's driver's licence to prove her identity. But I have never heard that CentreLink will give you a Birth Certificate. You usually have to apply for it from Births, Deaths and Marriages - not from CentreLink.
You'll need to provide basic information about the person, such as names of parents, and date and place of birth. You will need to advise if the information isn't available, for instance, an adult separated from their birth family at a young age.

If applying in person, you will need to prove your identity:

• current Australian driver’s licence (They had that and that was all they needed to prove identity at CentreLink. But as there is a photo on a Driver's Licence, you would have to find a female of a similar age and hair colour surely. )
If you don't have those, CBS will accept two of the following, showing your current name and address on one and your signature on the other:
  • Centrelink or Medicare card
  • pension card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • mobile phone account. (I guess he made sure he knew her passcode)
  • (I guess they also had all of these.)
Occasionally CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $49.75 for each ten-year period is charged.

SA.GOV.AU - Birth certificates

At CentrelInk, it says "We may also use any documents you provide for proof of identity to help us verify your age, residency, income and assets if needed."
Help For Customer details

Now we have to look at the sequence of events, where it occurred and the dates these events occurred.

First DH had to obtain KP's daughter's Birth Certificate. This event occurred in early 2010. KH was murdered in late December, 2008 - over one year after the murders while DH and Passmore were in a relationship again. It occured in South Australia and the woman who requested the Birth Certificate from CentreLInk was not in a wheelchair.

So far other posters have suggested that this woman is either DH's cousin or his sister. But they lived in Canberra, didn't they? and would probably have been much older than KP. Of course, one of them could have travelled to Adelaide for the purpose but it is unlikely and he would have had to explain his motive to either of them with further questioning perhaps. Just because the Birth Certificate was found in his sister's home does not necessarily mean that she was the woman who posed as KH. She could have simply agreed to allow DH to store his things at her home later. It is more likely that this woman could been a friend of Passmore's whom she could trust. IMO Passmore could have threatened to report DH to the police (as it appears that he told his version to HP what happened to Karlie and her daughter) if DH did not find some financial compensation for her after the car accident in which her two children died and she ended up in a wheelchair. So IMO they could have both concocted this plan together after they learned that Khandalyce's birth certificate was required by the Credit Union before the release of funds.

IMO it is also possible that DH himself found a 21yo female in Salisbury to do this by concocting some story or paying her to do so.

3. The woman who went to credit union impersonating Karlie was in a wheelchair and had Karlie's Birth Certificate as proof of identity. This woman definitely must have been HP and then she could have demanded payment. I think they split up later in 2010. Is that correct? The following year, she file this civil action against DH.

"In a civil action filed in the South Australian District Court in 2011, Ms Passmore is seeking damages from Marshall for the crash which she claims reduced her employment prospects and quality of life.

The case has been lodged against Marshall but it is understood any compensation ordered would be paid through a compulsory third-party insurance claim."

Adelaide woman sues Karlie Pearce-Stevenson's alleged killer

So I am now wondering whether DH gave HP all or some of the money they gained from the Credit Union or not? My guess is that he did and then she did not want him around any more. I don't blame her but I was surprised she took him back. Was her motive only for the money? What do you think?

"In May 2016, a woman (HP) linked to the Karlie and Khandalyce murder investigation has reached an out-of-court settlement for an undisclosed sum with the alleged killer (DH).

"No charges have been laid against Ms Passmore, who told The Advertiser she would face 'no charges in relation to murder'.

"Police alleged that Ms Passmore assumed Ms Pearce-Stevenson's identity in order to defraud her bank accounts after her death in December 2008.

Almost $100,000 was spent or withdrawn from the 20-year-old's bank account between November 2008, when she was last seen, and March 2012. "

Hazel Passmore reaches out of court settlement over South Australia car crash | Daily Mail Online

Why has HP never been charged for the fraud? Maybe police decided that she has suffered enough, maybe she committed to give back the money she took to KP's family after her out of court settlement or she made a deal with police so that she would give them information.

Terrific post, Estelle..

Hazels crimes , to me, seem so outlandish that the element of public discouragement from emulating her process would be the main driver of placing her under arrest and charged with a variety of crimes.

It is surely in the public interest for this kind of long term fraud using a murder victims identity, whilst actually living with the murderer, and both profiting to be bought to justice.

I expect SA to stump up , soon as.

‘Well-dressed man’ mystery in murders

The Karoonda highway in South Australia's Mallee country is a truck route between the South Australian grain belt and Port Adelaide.

"I used to travel that road nearly every day," Barry Edwards, who then ran Wynarka Transport with Denise told news.com.au.

"One day I saw this case on the side of the road and thought it had probably fallen of the back of a ute or a trailer.

"It was there for a while and then it disappeared and then it reappeared.

"I don't know how the guy who found it did find it because there are trees all on that side.

"The whole thing is a real mystery."

On Wednesday July 15, 2015, a man from the nearby town of Tailem Bend stopped his vehicle on the highway and picked up the battered suitcase.

In my opinion there were deals made, deals negotiated, in exchange for testimony, for telling what they knew. Deals to reduce or even remove altogether any criminal charges that may have arisen from the knowledge, the secret keeping - perhaps so all could share in the bounty....a dead girls money, a dead child’s money.
Every time they collected and spent that money they knew. And whenever a threat to that money came, they didn’t run. They came out fighting, desperate and greedy, prepared to keep it all costs.
Perhaps it (the creature) has now made another deal - it will come clean, admit to it all, save the tax payer the cost of a long and drawn out trial- as long as they leave certain people alone.
Certain people then don’t have to be forced to testify, to take the stand before the world and be named and shamed and forced to admit the knowing. We still don’t know who they are, those faceless ones. But we will, one day. If there is any justice.

I agree it's most likely there were deals done. Given the murders took place in NSW and the subsequent knowledge of the murders was given and held in SA, there would be jurisdictional problems in charging people in SA for failure to report serious crimes that occurred in NSW. There's no evidence they knew in advance of the murders, which might have different consequences. The fraud crimes were breaches of Federal law, so would apply wherever in Australia they occurred. My guess is that a deal was done by the NSW police to help them avoid prosecution for fraud by the AFP, in return for helping convict Holdom for the murders.

The sighting would lead to the solving of two murders, and ultimately see their perpatrator, Daniel Holdom, given two life sentences.

A Sydney court erupted in applause today as the brutal double murderer was sentenced for killing toddler Khandalyce Pearce and her mother Karlie Pearce-Stevenson.

The 44-year-old pleaded guilty in July to the murders of the girl and her mother, whose bodies were found 1200km apart, and is expected to die in jail for his crimes. But the mystery of the neat stranger carrying the suitcase remains.

Intuition: The only person, I have on my list for being perhaps the mystery suitcase man, is the well-liked business man from T****m B**d/Murray River, who's fatal crash in 2015 didn't count for the fatal accidents stat. LE should show some pics of him to Mrs. DE, who saw the suitcase man. MOO

I know from SM that she has moved back to Qld but I was not aware she had another child/children. Do you know her or is it just rumour?

Earlier reports said Hazel Passmore had a young daughter in the car, who survived the accident and who was about the same age as Khandalyce. There was a photo of her wearing a pink wool-lined jacket that was said to be the same or similar to one of Khandalyce's. I thought that daughter was her child with Daniel Holdom but that might be wrong.

I agree the Centerlink stuff, the tele stuff, the ABN thing seems federal, but in AU the law jurisdiction applies to states, it's why one reads every now and then of some hapless idiot being extradited from Qld to face charges in NSW, as much as if the situation and idiot was being extradited from Spain to Australia. The same process applies.

It becomes a Federal issue once it manages to be heard in the High Court of AU , should the High Court deem it proper, in Canberra , a costly and lengthy business , not for the likes of Holdom or Hazel.

Federal matters can be heard in the Federal Court and the Federal Circuit Court (formerly known as the Federal Magistrates Court) as well as the High Court. Any charges based on the Centrelink fraud would be brought in the most convenient registry of the Federal Court or Federal Circuit Court, probably Adelaide if that's where most of the fraudulent activity took place.

Daniel’s described as a ‘follower’. As ‘not very bright’.
The plan to defraud and deceive over such a long period took some serious chutzpah.
I think HP is more than complicit. I think she’s like a big spider spinning an evil web. She’s all over this.
The judge stated she knew about his sicko child rape fantasies even before the accident. Theres a fair chance she knew what he would do if left alone with Khandalyce.
We know Hazel knew about the fate of Karlie and Khandalyce, because he showed her the photos, and maybe even the suitcase as proof.
‘Here, they’re dead - I did it for you’
We know she wasn’t too worried, because she did not go to the police.
KP was murdered just 2 months after the accident, before Hazel was even out of hospital.
DH then promptly hurried back to be with HP. Karlie’s bank card was used to pay for Hazel’s care and ongoing medical treatments.
Hazel was instrumental in keeping the money flowing, by impersonating Karlie.
She only ended it, she says, over the drug use. Hah - more like cause the money ran out.

Side note, I find it interesting HP settled out of court with Daniel in 2015, the same year Khandalyce was found. Does anyone know if it wadd the same month or just before? Because it would appear that those two events are highly related.

The case would have been defended and settled by Holdom's third party car insurer. Holdom would have no say in the amount of any settlement.

AMATEUR SLEUTHS IDENTIFIED THE ITEMS OF CLOTHING

Posters on sites such as websleuths.com promptly identified them.

The suitcase brand was Lanza, a pair boxer shorts belonged to a Holden Commodore boys pyjama set and the black tutu dress came from Cotton On.

Members of the public pored over a badly degraded patchwork quilt, recognising patches of fabric sold at Spotlight outlets some years before.

Meanwhile at Sydney’s Forensic and Analytical Science Service (FASS), scientists had extracted a DNA profile from a tibia (lower leg) bone of the “Angel” found at Belanglo.

Karlie Pearce-Stevenson remains had lain in the forest.

Federal matters can be heard in the Federal Court and the Federal Circuit Court (formerly known as the Federal Magistrates Court) as well as the High Court. Any charges based on the Centrelink fraud would be brought in the most convenient registry of the Federal Court or Federal Circuit Court, probably Adelaide if that's where most of the fraudulent activity took place.

Yes.. as I said. Up to South AU, where the DPP of SA is responsible for bringing the charges, even though Centrelink is a Federal Org, the crimes committed against Centrelink are a matter for the State judiciary.

All courts are Federal Registry designated. One's local Magistrate's court is quite able to hear and adjudicate all manner of pleas, charges, rulings, orders, mentions, Federal and State.

For example, murder is murder right across the country, you could say that's Federal Law.. The High Court doesn't become involved unless the matter has already proceeded thru the Magistrates court, the County court and the State Supreme court. . and then , only at the express permission of the High Court, based on the merits of the case presented. Each state is responsible for the policing and prosecuting.

Fraud, kidnapping , manslaughter, theft, all the usual stuff, drunk driving, driving without a licence, failing to stop at a stop sign, drunk in charge of a lawn mower, ( a friend of mine was charged with this , once ) .. all Federal, and State in so far as it's all crime , the same crime, all across the nation.

Hazel's case, when she is charged , which I hope is soon, will probably begin at the County Court level, based on the seriousness of the crimes, and the actual amount illegally lifted from Centrelink. Over $50,000.00 and it's the County court, under that it's the Magistrates court.

She can get a hefty sentence from the Country court , particularly on the matter of using a commercial telemetry carrier to commit impersonation, extortion and fraud.

15 years is a fair cop.

(ps.Extortion is the thing that will send Hazel away for a fair while. It is a crime with a heavy penalty, much more than the fraud, the impersonation, withholding information , perverting the course of justice, wasting police time etc . The centrelink fraud was outstandingly brazen, makes one think she was an old hand at it, long practiced , and Karlie's identity was not the first or last to be appropriated. The claim for Khandalyce, as brazen, as smooth and practiced as any long time career criminal, ditto. )

The extortion component, while it's applicable to the Centrelink business, it mainly is directed to the time when Hazel, ( or someone )rang Karlie's mother, pretending to be her. Or was it the grandmother? The Mother, or Gran was persuaded to deposit money in Karlie's account, due to this phone call. That's extortion. And using a phone carrier to extort.

Last edited:
I don't take on board anything he said about Karlie's last day. Murderers have this one thing, they own that part of their victim's life, they can say anything about them, and who can contradict it? .

He makes out a sort of rationale for killing her, ' she was going to tell Hazel about their affair while he was still living with Hazel ( before the accident, I presume ) .. ' so, naturally , he had to kill her. You can see how the story is going go. That naughty Karlie.

Then, we are to believe that Karlie lay there in the car, while he got out, and removed the broomstick from the exhaust pipe , ( he had it stuck up there to keep the two parts together, and I have done that on farm vehicles , easy to insert , but you have to have a friend holding the two parts together, then you tie the broomstick inside the tube, very tightly because you don't want it falling out when you go up hill, or over a bump. )

So this is the scenario Holdom paints. That he drove Karlie to Belanglo, in the car, with the broomstick exhaust pipe, up hill and down dale along the freeway, in the dark , so we have to assume it was very well fixed inside the broken exhaust pipe. It didn't fall out, or shift, or break itself. Even going over the tracks into the Belanglo forest, which are rough.

Having done this, he , leaving Karlie all unaware of his intention removes the broomstick which is now his weapon of intent, and I am expected to believe this didn't include a lot of banging and shaking of the car, because it's tied in very securely, it takes a while to undo, then he proceeds to stroll back around to the car ,climbs in and kills Karlie with the stick.

Because he says he was provoked, by Karlie threatening to tell.

Rubbish. None of that story has a speck of truth to it. He had whatever he planned to kill her with in the car already. Karlie was going to be dead, whatever she said.

On several occasions now we’ve found out after the fact that the cops were reading our sleuthing.
It’s a perfect example of ‘two heads are better than one’.

The cops ask for any information large or small to do with a crime and with the way we can upend information then turn it inside out, it could be an ‘ahhh haaa’ moment the cops have been looking for.

Again Websleuths have been mentioned recently in MSM in helping solve a crime.

Two women, and a man.

Logically, they all fell out. Trivial sums, fighting over peanuts, but a fight to the death over that card, the bank account, and the fortnightly payments.

Let's say, it was divided among the four of them. Holdom, Hazel, Uknown Man, Unknown Woman. Single parent payment, and rent assistance.. I don't know what other benefits, but just those, say. Divvied up among four.

That would be about 80 dollars each, a week. Maybe. A little less, maybe a little more.

Arguments over who had access, arguments over who got more, who got less, arguments over who is owed what, and who owes who.

What a quartet.

Unknown man. Might be the cousin. Unknown woman, cousin, or sister, or both. Merely theorizing.

There's a motive for shifting that suitcase into the middle of the highway, right there. Someone didn't get their 'rightful' share.

that sounds exactly like what happened.... is it for sure he murdered Khandalyce in Nrrangarra? I feel like she could have been tucked away in the suitcase right there in Canberra for years...

"At least three people - two women and a man - are thought to have been involved in the identity theft"

My take on this is that:

1. The man, of course, is DH.

2. The woman who went into a Centrelink branch at Salisbury in South Australia was not in a wheelchair? Possibilities? DH's sister? His female cousin? Unknown woman to us. The first step was to get Karlie's daughter's Birth Certificate from Centrelink for proof of identity of there being a family. In early 2010, "a woman went into a Centrelink branch at Salisbury in South Australia and falsely represented that she was Ms Pearce-Stevenson." I guess all she had to do was to show KP's driver's licence to prove her identity. But I have never heard that CentreLink will give you a Birth Certificate. You usually have to apply for it from Births, Deaths and Marriages - not from CentreLink.
You'll need to provide basic information about the person, such as names of parents, and date and place of birth. You will need to advise if the information isn't available, for instance, an adult separated from their birth family at a young age.

If applying in person, you will need to prove your identity:

• current Australian driver’s licence (They had that and that was all they needed to prove identity at CentreLink. But as there is a photo on a Driver's Licence, you would have to find a female of a similar age and hair colour surely. )
If you don't have those, CBS will accept two of the following, showing your current name and address on one and your signature on the other:
  • Centrelink or Medicare card
  • pension card
  • credit or debit card, bank statement
  • mobile phone account. (I guess he made sure he knew her passcode)
  • (I guess they also had all of these.)
Occasionally CBS can't find a record to match an application. If this happens, a 'no record' certificate is issued and a search fee of $49.75 for each ten-year period is charged.

SA.GOV.AU - Birth certificates

At CentrelInk, it says "We may also use any documents you provide for proof of identity to help us verify your age, residency, income and assets if needed."
Help For Customer details

Now we have to look at the sequence of events, where it occurred and the dates these events occurred.

First DH had to obtain KP's daughter's Birth Certificate. This event occurred in early 2010. KH was murdered in late December, 2008 - over one year after the murders while DH and Passmore were in a relationship again. It occured in South Australia and the woman who requested the Birth Certificate from CentreLInk was not in a wheelchair.

So far other posters have suggested that this woman is either DH's cousin or his sister. But they lived in Canberra, didn't they? and would probably have been much older than KP. Of course, one of them could have travelled to Adelaide for the purpose but it is unlikely and he would have had to explain his motive to either of them with further questioning perhaps. Just because the Birth Certificate was found in his sister's home does not necessarily mean that she was the woman who posed as KH. She could have simply agreed to allow DH to store his things at her home later. It is more likely that this woman could been a friend of Passmore's whom she could trust. IMO Passmore could have threatened to report DH to the police (as it appears that he told his version to HP what happened to Karlie and her daughter) if DH did not find some financial compensation for her after the car accident in which her two children died and she ended up in a wheelchair. So IMO they could have both concocted this plan together after they learned that Khandalyce's birth certificate was required by the Credit Union before the release of funds.

IMO it is also possible that DH himself found a 21yo female in Salisbury to do this by concocting some story or paying her to do so.

3. The woman who went to credit union impersonating Karlie was in a wheelchair and had Karlie's Birth Certificate as proof of identity. This woman definitely must have been HP and then she could have demanded payment. I think they split up later in 2010. Is that correct? The following year, she file this civil action against DH.

"In a civil action filed in the South Australian District Court in 2011, Ms Passmore is seeking damages from Marshall for the crash which she claims reduced her employment prospects and quality of life.

The case has been lodged against Marshall but it is understood any compensation ordered would be paid through a compulsory third-party insurance claim."

Adelaide woman sues Karlie Pearce-Stevenson's alleged killer

So I am now wondering whether DH gave HP all or some of the money they gained from the Credit Union or not? My guess is that he did and then she did not want him around any more. I don't blame her but I was surprised she took him back. Was her motive only for the money? What do you think?

"In May 2016, a woman (HP) linked to the Karlie and Khandalyce murder investigation has reached an out-of-court settlement for an undisclosed sum with the alleged killer (DH).

"No charges have been laid against Ms Passmore, who told The Advertiser she would face 'no charges in relation to murder'.

"Police alleged that Ms Passmore assumed Ms Pearce-Stevenson's identity in order to defraud her bank accounts after her death in December 2008.

Almost $100,000 was spent or withdrawn from the 20-year-old's bank account between November 2008, when she was last seen, and March 2012. "

Hazel Passmore reaches out of court settlement over South Australia car crash | Daily Mail Online

Why has HP never been charged for the fraud? Maybe police decided that she has suffered enough, maybe she committed to give back the money she took to KP's family after her out of court settlement or she made a deal with police so that she would give them information.
DH & HP split up in mid 2011 after she started a relationship with the guy she is with now, the father of her two latest children.

Yes.. as I said. Up to South AU, where the DPP of SA is responsible for bringing the charges, even though Centrelink is a Federal Org, the crimes committed against Centrelink are a matter for the State judiciary.

All courts are Federal Registry designated. One's local Magistrate's court is quite able to hear and adjudicate all manner of pleas, charges, rulings, orders, mentions, Federal and State.

For example, murder is murder right across the country, you could say that's Federal Law.. The High Court doesn't become involved unless the matter has already proceeded thru the Magistrates court, the County court and the State Supreme court. . and then , only at the express permission of the High Court, based on the merits of the case presented. Each state is responsible for the policing and prosecuting.

Fraud, kidnapping , manslaughter, theft, all the usual stuff, drunk driving, driving without a licence, failing to stop at a stop sign, drunk in charge of a lawn mower, ( a friend of mine was charged with this , once ) .. all Federal, and State in so far as it's all crime , the same crime, all across the nation.

Hazel's case, when she is charged , which I hope is soon, will probably begin at the County Court level, based on the seriousness of the crimes, and the actual amount illegally lifted from Centrelink. Over $50,000.00 and it's the County court, under that it's the Magistrates court.

She can get a hefty sentence from the Country court , particularly on the matter of using a commercial telemetry carrier to commit impersonation, extortion and fraud.

15 years is a fair cop.

(ps.Extortion is the thing that will send Hazel away for a fair while. It is a crime with a heavy penalty, much more than the fraud, the impersonation, withholding information , perverting the course of justice, wasting police time etc . The centrelink fraud was outstandingly brazen, makes one think she was an old hand at it, long practiced , and Karlie's identity was not the first or last to be appropriated. The claim for Khandalyce, as brazen, as smooth and practiced as any long time career criminal, ditto. )

The extortion component, while it's applicable to the Centrelink business, it mainly is directed to the time when Hazel, ( or someone )rang Karlie's mother, pretending to be her. Or was it the grandmother? The Mother, or Gran was persuaded to deposit money in Karlie's account, due to this phone call. That's extortion. And using a phone carrier to extort.
HP won't do any time for her crimes, she made a deal that's pretty obvious

Daniel’s described as a ‘follower’. As ‘not very bright’.
The plan to defraud and deceive over such a long period took some serious chutzpah.
I think HP is more than complicit. I think she’s like a big spider spinning an evil web. She’s all over this.
The judge stated she knew about his sicko child rape fantasies even before the accident. Theres a fair chance she knew what he would do if left alone with Khandalyce.
We know Hazel knew about the fate of Karlie and Khandalyce, because he showed her the photos, and maybe even the suitcase as proof.
‘Here, they’re dead - I did it for you’
We know she wasn’t too worried, because she did not go to the police.
KP was murdered just 2 months after the accident, before Hazel was even out of hospital.
DH then promptly hurried back to be with HP. Karlie’s bank card was used to pay for Hazel’s care and ongoing medical treatments.
Hazel was instrumental in keeping the money flowing, by impersonating Karlie.
She only ended it, she says, over the drug use. Hah - more like cause the money ran out.
They were both drug users, more her than him

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie