Found Deceased Canada - Thelma Krull, 58, Winnipeg MB, 11 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the local FB group's opinion, made up mostly of Winnipeggers, the consensus is we know areas of the province generally well, but not in detail unless we'll lived, worked, hunted or camped there. I see comments like: " I look at it this way, it is such a remote area that a person who didn’t know where they were going could get lost easily unless they are familiar with the area. " and "I agree (name) such a very very unkown and remote area. " (To me it's NOT very, very remote when you look at a map... but it isn't a place a person would go for a walk or hike even).
From looking at the map, it's only a 35 minute drive from where TK lived, and it seems the route is very straight forward. That's why I'm not getting why there would need to be some connection to the 'spot'. You have a body in your vehicle, you start driving, heading away from the city... look for a place that would hide a body well.. come to a treed area.. fits the bill... etc. Was it 300 feet in? My property frontage is 100', to think of walking 3 spans of that isn't much. Of course, it would be, to drag a dead body in rough terrain. But if that area was a swamp at the time, she may have been under water for a year or so, and moved over time, and with wild animals, etc.

I wonder if by LEs statement regarding prior knowledge of the location, they have reason to believe there’s a connection to someone involved who has a familiarity to one of the small towns nearby such as Lorette or Ste Anne.
RSBM

What I think those statements mean is, that LE's best chance for solving this crime is if someone who knows the perp, will recognize these two places as being associated with that person, and will have enough suspicion that he could be capable of this kind of thing, that they'll report him.

Say, for example, you were a hunter and you'd seen this weird local guy doing target practice there, and knew he'd worked in construction at the hospital near the crime scene, don't just dismiss that thought, phone him in.

From looking at the map, it's only a 35 minute drive from where TK lived, and it seems the route is very straight forward. That's why I'm not getting why there would need to be some connection to the 'spot'. You have a body in your vehicle, you start driving, heading away from the city... look for a place that would hide a body well.. come to a treed area.. fits the bill... etc. Was it 300 feet in? My property frontage is 100', to think of walking 3 spans of that isn't much. Of course, it would be, to drag a dead body in rough terrain. But if that area was a swamp at the time, she may have been under water for a year or so, and moved over time, and with wild animals, etc.
I think there might be some police experience and profiling involved in this theory. I suspect they believe this was planned, rather than spontaneous,and that part of the planning would have been what to do with the remains. Also perhaps, police know from experience that people who successfully hide bodies almost always take them to an area they already know about. It certainly seems to be a very familiar pattern on websleuths. For eg, just a few Canadians who come to mind: Dellen Millard, Bruce McArthur, Robert Picton, Douglas Garland, all had figured out that a key part of not getting caught was to successfully hide the body, and took the remains to a place they felt secure wouldn't be discovered. And they all succeeded, although they gave themselves away in other ways.

Whereas the people who don't know of a 'good' place, a) commit the crime spontaneously and b) seem to end up leaving remains, often in a bit of a panic, where others more quickly find them: in a ditch, on someone's land, and so forth.

I think there might be some police experience and profiling involved in this theory. I suspect they believe this was planned, rather than spontaneous,and that part of the planning would have been what to do with the remains. Also perhaps, police know from experience that people who successfully hide bodies almost always take them to an area they already know about. It certainly seems to be a very familiar pattern on websleuths. For eg, just a few Canadians who come to mind: Dellen Millard, Bruce McArthur, Robert Picton, Douglas Garland, all had figured out that a key part of not getting caught was to successfully hide the body, and took the remains to a place they felt secure wouldn't be discovered. And they all succeeded, although they gave themselves away in other ways.

Whereas the people who don't know of a 'good' place, a) commit the crime spontaneously and b) seem to end up leaving remains, often in a bit of a panic, where others more quickly find them: in a ditch, on someone's land, and so forth.
Personally, I can't see Thelma being a person that would have been targeted for murder. If she was, she likely would have known that someone had it in for her, and would have told at least someone close to her. jmo

Personally, I can't see Thelma being a person that would have been targeted for murder. If she was, she likely would have known that someone had it in for her, and would have told at least someone close to her. jmo

Just my opinion but I can’t get past my theory that working for an organization that specializes in outreach, transitional housing, and residential homes is somehow connected. Because of her familiarity with people requiring those types of services and the success that’s often achieved through those type of organizations, I think she’d be far more sympathetic, approachable and open towards people on the street, the type the rest of us would be leary of. If she was targeted, I feel it was only because she was a trusting person, somebody misread her kind nature and wanted more from her.

RSBM

What I think those statements mean is, that LE's best chance for solving this crime is if someone who knows the perp, will recognize these two places as being associated with that person, and will have enough suspicion that he could be capable of this kind of thing, that they'll report him.

Say, for example, you were a hunter and you'd seen this weird local guy doing target practice there, and knew he'd worked in construction at the hospital near the crime scene, don't just dismiss that thought, phone him in.

I’m not able to find a police report to indicate full recovery of her body, only the skull was found, is that correct? If so, I wonder if that’s indicating the body parts were disbursed in various locations?

Another thing I’m thinking, because it’s been more than three years since she disappeared, the perp/s could’ve hidden her body days, weeks, months or years after she was murdered. There’s no way to know for sure if she was placed in the treed area immediately after her disappearance.

Oh no sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest the search for Thelma extended 50 km in all directions around Winnipeg, or should’ve. Just that odds are such that bodies left on an open prairie are apt to be discovered far sooner than hidden in treed areas.

Media reports indicate her body was discovered in the Municipality of Tache. The discovery site appears to be about 3Q on the map indicated to be “undeveloped”, or so it appears to me.

Rural Municipality of Taché | Community

I wonder if by LEs statement regarding prior knowledge of the location, they have reason to believe there’s a connection to someone involved who has a familiarity to one of the small towns nearby such as Lorette or Ste Anne.

No need to be sorry. All I wanted to do was to illustrate that starting from the last point someone was seen or left traces, you have a lot to search before you have searched all of the area in a 50 km radius. I wonder if it can be done at all.

IMHO in the open prarie the perp would dig a grave or cover a ditch.

I don't think Thelma was specifically targeted because she was Thelma. The scenario is probably that the perp first planned what he would do with the remains, and then grabbed a victim. If I remember well, all other people who were allegedly seen in the area were together with someone else. Thelma walked alone and this may have made her a target. Wrong place, wrong time.

I think the meet up that morning was planned but the homicide itself not so much. I think something had been brewing, possibly from the month before, in mid-June and things just got out of hand. I think the older guy was at the end of his rope for some reason and in the end the younger guy help cover things up and helped out with hiding her remains.

I think that her bones were moved around by animals. Her mandible was not found attached to her skull which also supports this. I think her other remains will be found eventually.

I’m not able to find a police report to indicate full recovery of her body, only the skull was found, is that correct? If so, I wonder if that’s indicating the body parts were disbursed in various locations?

Another thing I’m thinking, because it’s been more than three years since she disappeared, the perp/s could’ve hidden her body days, weeks, months or years after she was murdered. There’s no way to know for sure if she was placed in the treed area immediately after her disappearance.

The question about the recovery of the remains was asked during the presser and Sgt. Rommel did not want to answer it. Around 5 - 6 minutes.

Around 12 minutes he mentions "there was other evidence" that "this may be her."Not saying what that was either.

Link to the press conference:

I don't see that either. I personally tend towards the theory it was random, tho I may be wrong. If it was unplanned, the perp was just very lucky it happened in that particular location, these days there's few places in a big city where there's be no cameras and no witnesses at 8 am.

The question about the recovery of the remains was asked during the presser and Sgt. Rommel did not want to answer it. Around 5 - 6 minutes.

Around 12 minutes he mentions "there was other evidence" that "this may be her."Not saying what that was either.
I wonder how long they were searching, it sounds like not that long. To me, that means they found all her remains. If not, I don't think they'd let people on the site so soon.

I think that her bones were moved around by animals. Her mandible was not found attached to her skull which also supports this. I think her other remains will be found eventually.

I don't think we are privy to what portions of TK's remains were located, they are only telling us about the skull, since there are witnesses to that. They were doing searches in the area and using dogs, so they may have potentially located a lot more. When Rommel talked about other evidence that it may have been her, I think he was referring to initially, when the skull was first found. jmo, but hoping they were able to obtain more that would give them more evidence and clues.

I wonder how long they were searching, it sounds like not that long. To me, that means they found all her remains. If not, I don't think they'd let people on the site so soon.
They found the skull over a month before the announcement was made, so they may have been out there for weeks, or not.

I think the meet up that morning was planned but the homicide itself not so much. I think something had been brewing, possibly from the month before, in mid-June and things just got out of hand. I think the older guy was at the end of his rope for some reason and in the end the younger guy help cover things up and helped out with hiding her remains.
You have lost me.. which older guy at the end of his rope and which younger guy are you referring to?

You have lost me.. which older guy at the end of his rope and which younger guy are you referring to?
It's just a theory I have. There was a younger male (in his 30s) who was sighted there that morning along with a female. I also believe an older male was present, most likely in an SUV in the parking lot. Again, it's just a theory.

I really appreciate the input of experienced websleuthers who can be objective. I'm way too emotionally involved as I live nearby, have close relatives and a good friend in walking distance of the hill, go to that area often, knew Thelma slightly years ago, she was my age and worked for mentally challenged adults as I did for many years (although she worked in the office, not in the group homes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth