GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

FOX 13's Jordan Bowen
[...] The Airbnb owner told the family the guards witnessed Stefaniak get into an Uber at 5:30 a.m. the next morning, but there's no record of the ride on her account and she had already planned for a driver to pick her up at 8:30 a.m. The guards aren't talking to the family so now loved ones are pleading with the public answers as to what happened to Carla.

if a person willingly leaves, goes into a vehicle etc and there is no proof of wrongdoing and no trace of mental illness or violence then this person is not categorized as missing. certain criteria has to be present and if not its a runaway or just voluntarily left. Same with Michael Shine III in Tampa. he left to go to school 9 am and was never heard from again, this was August 15 2018. They are not doing much because he is considered a runaway

Does this mean that she had pre-arranged a ride at 8:30AM, but for some reason she left the Airbnb 3 hours earlier with another driver and the security guards are not revealing any information about what they witnessed at that time?

The driver of the 5:30AM car must be the answer to where she is.

Could it be that the power was still out throughout the night and she asked someone at the Airbnb to arrange another ride at 5:30AM?

FOX 13's Jordan Bowen

oh wow! The guards are not talking to the family, I wonder what the reason for that is. I read many different places it was said a private car or even a taxi or an uber. So if it was not an uber then a taxi or private car, whoever sent that car has her , at least that's how I feel. Did she meet someone, did the guards hook her up with someone...this whole story is weird, where was she going before her flight and did she even cancel the 8.30 ride? Did they say what car it was...

According to the last article, the family does not believe in the 5 am story at all . An Instagram post by her sister in law April said yesterday they got some new leads she was kidnapped. The guards might have hooked her up with someone? And those people got her. She was a model according to herself on IG, did the guards hook her up with something related to this? And we can think outside the box with the model word as well...:cool:o_O

Last edited:
When I sent to work tonight I could not get her off my mind.
What ever happened that her cell went down was a pivotal point. Even if it was electricity and or battery down, when it came back on she would plug it back in. Her sister-in-law posted that her phone was always connected to her. Seeing that this was her birthday bash, it was stated that she would constantly be looking at all the best wishes she was getting. So as soon as electricity came back on she plugged her cell phonein and she be right back on Facebook again. BUT SHE DIDNT and hasn't since.
I'm going to venture to guess that the person that somebody saw at 5 a.m. if they saw them at all, was someone dressed like her. I think she asked a security guard for help getting water and it was all downhill from there.
MOO

When I sent to work tonight I could not get her off my mind.
What ever happened that her cell went down was a pivotal point. Even if it was electricity and or battery down, when it came back on she would plug it back in. Her sister-in-law posted that her phone was always connected to her. Seeing that this was her birthday bash, it was stated that she would constantly be looking at all the best wishes she was getting. So as soon as electricity came back on she plugged her cell phonein and she be right back on Facebook again. BUT SHE DIDNT and hasn't since.

I'm going to venture to guess that the person that somebody saw at 5 a.m. if they saw them at all, was someone dressed like her. I think she asked a security guard for help getting water and it was all downhill from there.
MOO

What do we know about the Airbnb? Is it a group of building/rentals, or 7 rooms in one building? If this was a group of separate buildings, maybe only her power was out, and that was the start of something.

When you look at her pics and statements below them while there, she said it was so lovely she wanted to move there...hmmm... Then she said during the last phone call it was "sketchy". I think she meant it was sketchy that her power was out, possibly no storm and power out. Sadly she may have just started to charge her battery from the day giving it no time for use before it died. I think she went to get water and possibly question why her power was out, perhaps she could see power in other units. If leaving at eight thirty a.m. by a pre set up Uber the next day for airport and having no power she may have arranged something with the guards to find her a ride to go to town to eat breakfast prior to returning to her bnb but never made it back. I would love to know if they found her luggage at the bnb or the water bottle (empty), showing she returned after she went out to get that bottle of water. I would think this was a kidnap for ransom, but they would have contacted her family by now I would think. I hope she is still alive and holding on and somehow gets away or gets found. I know rewards don't usually work, but I think a reward would be worth a try in this case. Even a smaller reward for information. IMHO

I forgot to add, I wonder during graveyard shift how many guards work the gate. If more then one, they need to be seperated and grilled heavily. If only one guard working, they need to dig into his/her background in a big way. Also the reason I am sure the Costa Rican government wants to sweep this under the rug is tourism, two american females in one week essentially disappear (one found), they are trying to cover their butts. Greed. IMHO

I forgot to add, I wonder during graveyard shift how many guards work the gate. If more then one, they need to be seperated and grilled heavily. If only one guard working, they need to dig into his/her background in a big way. Also the reason I am sure the Costa Rican government wants to sweep this under the rug is tourism, two american females in one week essentially disappear (one found), they are trying to cover their butts. Greed. IMHO

Costa Rica is a huge tourism destination for many countries. If women disappear, and local authorities turn a blind eye because the women willingly entered a vehicle, Costa Rica will be viewed as unpopular and dangerous as Mexico and Belize.

I would love to know if they found her luggage at the bnb

rsbm

It said in an earlier post (which was a statement by the family iirc) that she took all her luggage with her - at least that's what the guard and Airbnb owner said.

I wonder what the reason was that her phone came only for a short time at midnight. Did the power come back, she plugged it in to charge, but the power immediately went out again? If she was kidnapped what would be the reason for her abductors to turn the phone on and off again? Or did she herself manage to turn it on but was found out?

Although I don't believe the 5am car story, I think family should still meet airport officials to review camera footage to ascertain whether Carla arrived at the airport or not. I fear she didn't but it needs to be ruled out and would make their case of kidnapping stronger.

Although I realize this isn’t likely, I can’t help but feel she could have planned this to start a new life (no thoughts on why). She stays a day longer, she posts her bnb is sketchy, states she’s going to ask guards for water, prearranges an Uber for 8:30 so it appears she is staying the night. This all would make anyone suspect an abduction. But...sneaks away at 5 willingly. Again, I know this isn’t likely, but it’s possible.

When my phone or camera is dead/dead battery, many times I can get it to turn on but not function. She may have tried to turn it on at midnight either to state something, whether something nefarious happening or just to try and text and then it shut off and failed. I have had this happen with both. It will turn on for a second, in the case of the phone the light comes on but as it loads it shuts back off or with the camera it turns on, I try and take a pic real fast and the lens retracts while it makes a ding ding noise. She may have been trying to call out for help, we just don't know. Even if the Air bnb owner is a bonehead he had many good reviews also, so I am not leaning towards his involvement. I just wonder how well they review/background search their guards. I say it again, I wonder how many guards man the gate at that hour. If only one guard how could they go to get her some water? And if they did have say an office that vended water from a machine, was she left alone while waiting on the water. I again would love to know if a bottle of water was found in her unit. There is more to this story, I hope they find more when they nose around down there. As mentioned previous they need a reputable PI from that area before evidence can disappear. Also if she walked down to the guards, this bnb is at the end of the road up next to a nature preserve right? Did she something she should not have? IMHO

According to the last article, the family does not believe in the 5 am story at all . An Instagram post by her sister in law April said yesterday they got some new leads she was kidnapped. The guards might have hooked her up with someone? And those people got her. She was a model according to herself on IG, did the guards hook her up with something related to this? And we can think outside the box with the model word as well...:cool:o_O
I could find no professional modeling links for her. Most days, any young, attractive woman who posts pictures of herself in swimwear and sportswear on Instagram calls herself a model. It doesn't mean though, that if someone offered her a professional shoot she would have turned them down but I doubt it would have involved leaving at 5 a.m. in my opinion. Hoping she is safe and found soon, what a lovely smile she has.

Family of missing Florida woman believes she was kidnapped in Costa Rica

The family of Carla Stefaniak, 36, who disappeared while on vacation in Costa Rica, tells 8 On Your Side's Gabrielle Shirley the investigating agencies in Costa Rica have found new evidence that she was kidnapped.

Authorities said they can not discuss the details. They also believe the authorities have some sort of surveillance video in their possession.

[...]

[AB] flew home on Tuesday because she had an obligation on Wednesday. She says Carla stopped responding to her on Tuesday night.

“I told her, ‘I think my flight is delayed,’ because I had a layover in Fort Lauderdale and she said, ‘That sucks!’ and that is all I heard from her and that was at 8:54 p.m.,” [AB] tells us.

[...]

Carla's brother, [CC], is currently in Costa Rica retracing his sister’s steps. He visited that Airbnb. He tells us what the guards shared with him.

“She went there the night before and left at 5 a.m.,” says [CC], “Everything is gone. She left with everything on hand.”

(*bbm, video at link)

Although I realize this isn’t likely, I can’t help but feel she could have planned this to start a new life (no thoughts on why). She stays a day longer, she posts her bnb is sketchy, states she’s going to ask guards for water, prearranges an Uber for 8:30 so it appears she is staying the night. This all would make anyone suspect an abduction. But...sneaks away at 5 willingly. Again, I know this isn’t likely, but it’s possible.
I was wondering why this hasn’t been discussed much. She stays an extra day after her sister-in-law leaves and then disappears in beautiful Costa Rica with all of her belongings. I think it is at least a possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back