GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

I wonder what exactly she was referring to when she said it is sketchy. The place, neighborhood, the guard, other people, or maybe just the power outage?

Last edited:
I also wonder if this air AirBnB she supposedly stayed in that night is a new one and not the same AirBnB she rented with her sister-in-law?

And if it was a different AirBnB then why?? What was the purpose of moving for one night? Had she always planned to stay a day later? If not, what made her want to stay ONE more day? This whole situation is very odd.

Published in Spanish
Dan permiso de viaja a padre de joven desaparecida

En una conferencia de prensa el Sr. [CC], padre de la joven venezolana, dijo que hará todo lo posible por llegar a Costa Rica. [CC] llegó el lunes al Centro de Servicios para Ciudadanos e Inmigración con la intención de obtener un permiso especial para poder viajar a Costa Rica debido a su situación migratoria.

Poco después de la conferencia de prensa el hombre entró a la oficina para presentar su petición y fue aceptada por lo cual el hombre buscará ahora la forma de poder viajar a Costa Rica para ir tras el rastro de su hija.

(Translated by Google Translate)

At a press conference, Mr. [CC], father of the Venezuelan girl, said he will do everything possible to get to Costa Rica. [CC] arrived on Monday at the Center for Services for Citizens and Immigration with the intention of obtaining a special permit to travel to Costa Rica due to his immigration status.

Shortly after the press conference, the man entered the office to present his petition and was accepted. The man will now look for a way to travel to Costa Rica to follow his daughter's trail.

(*video at link of father speaking, in English)

From your link:

Bojorquez asked, "Do you feel like they are doing enough right now to try to figure out what happened?"

"We don't know; that's totally classified," Caicedo replied. "They won't release any information. It feels like it's kidnapping, but it also seems like it could be human trafficking."​

I have to take issue with the "human trafficking" comment. This is a 36 year old woman, clearly no spring chicken, so I'm pretty sure this is not human trafficking.

Questions about why she remained an extra day have me wondering - I'm curious whether she had a lot of debt, or something else that she wanted to avoid at home. It does seem odd that communication stopped when she went to look for a water bottle, and that she was seen leaving the Airbnb with all her luggage at 5:30AM, 3 hours prior to a pre-arranged Uber pick-up.

Having lived in both CR and Nicaragua, I can comment on this a little. Costa Rica is actually not that safe. Nicaragua prior to this year was safer. While people don't generally disappear, in the cases of home invasions (happens a decent amount in CR) and robberies, about 75% of the time there was some sort on involvement with security or guards. Usually some sort of set up. People weren't usually hurt although I can definitely recall rape occurring at least once.
When I lived in Nicaragua the power went out fairly frequently. I remember the first time it did I went outside and my landlady flipped out at me because that is the time you will tend to be attacked. She told me that is when I need to sit inside and make sure my door was locked. Now this was considered at the time a relatively safe time, especially in comparison to CR.
Like I said I have no idea what could have happened, but wandering around with all your luggage makes you a huge target for robbery at the very least. I highly doubt this is human trafficking, there are tons girls from about 12 years and up who work as prostitutes in CR and Nicaragua. They are everywhere if you have ever visited and/or lived in either country.

And if it was a different AirBnB then why?? What was the purpose of moving for one night? Had she always planned to stay a day later? If not, what made her want to stay ONE more day? This whole situation is very odd.

It is starting to look really odd. You ask really good questions - why change accommodations for one night, why stay one more might and then go to the airport at 8:30AM for a 1:30PM flight when the airport is 30 minutes away, why not keep the rental car, why describe the Airbnb as "sketchy", where was the water that she had to ask the security guard to get it ... too many questions that make everything about her disappearance seem like it could be staged.

Published in Spanish
Dan permiso de viaja a padre de joven desaparecida

En una conferencia de prensa el Sr. [CC], padre de la joven venezolana, dijo que hará todo lo posible por llegar a Costa Rica. [CC] llegó el lunes al Centro de Servicios para Ciudadanos e Inmigración con la intención de obtener un permiso especial para poder viajar a Costa Rica debido a su situación migratoria.

Poco después de la conferencia de prensa el hombre entró a la oficina para presentar su petición y fue aceptada por lo cual el hombre buscará ahora la forma de poder viajar a Costa Rica para ir tras el rastro de su hija.

(Translated by Google Translate)

At a press conference, Mr. [CC], father of the Venezuelan girl, said he will do everything possible to get to Costa Rica. [CC] arrived on Monday at the Center for Services for Citizens and Immigration with the intention of obtaining a special permit to travel to Costa Rica due to his immigration status.

Shortly after the press conference, the man entered the office to present his petition and was accepted. The man will now look for a way to travel to Costa Rica to follow his daughter's trail.

(*video at link of father speaking, in English)

This is an interesting twist. Is it normally difficult for someone in Venezuela to get a visa to leave the country?

_104601022_carla4.jpg
_104601632_carla.jpg
_104601630_47214239_322969501633023_8034588921125928960_n.jpg

more photos.

Her final text to a friend around 21:00 local time indicated it was raining hard and the power in her Airbnb accommodation had gone out.

Family and friends texted Ms Stefaniak for her birthday on 28 November, but received no response.

US tourist vanishes after 'sketchy' text

The family set up a FB page:
Finding Carla

I wonder what exactly she was referring to when she said it is sketchy. The place, neighborhood, the guard, other people, or maybe just the power outage?
Difficult to say. I thought at first she meant the neighborhood, rental...but then it makes sense that she could be talking about the storm and the power going out..sketchy meaning in and out.

Maybe her traveling companion had driving privileges in Costa Rica.
Ah this is true. Perhaps she is not the one who rented the car. When Hubby and I travel and rent cars, he does the driving and I do the navigating. Often, I'm not permitted to drive in that case. Especially in a foreign country. So she went with SIL to return rental and then needed an Uber to get back. Any info on where the two were staying previously? Maybe traveling around so she needed one night in the new place/area before returning home.

Difficult to say. I thought at first she meant the neighborhood, rental...but then it makes sense that she could be talking about the storm and the power going out..sketchy meaning in and out.

Sketchy isn't the word that comes to mind when there's a power outage due to weather. From reading tripadvisor comments, there doesn't seem to be anything sketchy about the Airbnb. In fact, it seems like it's a 5 star place.

Isn't anyone over the age of 25 with a credit card and ID able to rent a vehicle at an airport?

Sketchy isn't the word that comes to mind when there's a power outage due to weather. From reading tripadvisor comments, there doesn't seem to be anything sketchy about the Airbnb. In fact, it seems like it's a 5 star place.

Isn't anyone over the age of 25 with a credit card and ID able to rent a vehicle at an airport?
I can see using sketchy as a word for power outages. We have them quite often and Electric Company usually gives info on line for when will be restored...then changes it and changes it again. One definition of the word is "not thorough or detailed." That's what it is to me when they don't tell us enough or keep changing the details..

And yes, I'm not saying I couldn't have rented a car or been put on the list of drivers...but when we have rented, they usually ask who will be driving the car and if you don't list yourself, then you shouldn't be driving. I want no part of driving in Europe so I never list myself. In USA, yes I do, just in case he gets tired and needs me to drive a bit. But it's the way we prefer it and perhaps she and her SIL also preferred same.

ETA She could also have wanted to deal with the rental return while she was at the airport dropping off her sister-in-law and not have to take care of it the next day when she was leaving...Time and/or money reasons.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998