GUILTY COSTA RICA - Carla Stefaniak, 36, American tourist, San Antonio de Escazú, 27 Nov 2018

I think there was no first car. I think that was a made up story. Sounds like this was a story dreamed up by the owner and security guard. I’d bet this isn’t the first time either. I may be in the minority but I believe the bad reviews and think the owner sounded so disrespectful in his comments about the reviewers. MOO

Thanks! I'm just catching up with the news about the body. It was her birthday. What a tragedy.

It does sounds like the owner and the security guard were both involved given that they both claimed they saw her get into a car with her luggage at 5-5:30AM.

Thanks! I'm just catching up with the news about the body. It was her birthday. What a tragedy.

It does sounds like the owner and the security guard were both involved given that they both claimed they saw her get into a car with her luggage at 5-5:30AM.

Just watched ABC world news, can’t link yet, but they said “blood found in room”.....

I guess she didn't get into a car at 5AM, and I guess whoever put her in the garden did not know that she had pre-arranged a ride at 8:30AM.

That is pretty sketchy, both the owner and the Security guard state they both saw her get into a car at 0500?

Blood found in Airbnb.
Body found outside.

I wonder if they can look at the other appointments for the Airbnb at the same location, verify that other young women did not mysteriously disappear.

Sounds like there was no real efforts to find her until the Dad and brother went down there. What were the odds she would stay where there was a murderer in her midst. So terribly sad if the body is hers, and I can't imagine that it's not.

Sounds like there was no real efforts to find her until the Dad and brother went down there. What were the odds she would stay where there was a murderer in her midst. So terribly sad if the body is hers, and I can't imagine that it's not.

I think police need to have a good look at this residence for other bodies.

Even if it isn't her body, she was certainly right about the place being sketchy with bodies half-buried on the property.

That is pretty sketchy, both the owner and the Security guard state they both saw her get into a car at 0500?

Blood found in Airbnb.
Body found outside.

I wonder if they can look at the other appointments for the Airbnb at the same location, verify that other young women did not mysteriously disappear.
Nor sure whether the owner is saying he saw her personally get into a car in the early morning. His words tend to sound like he was told this. "She was last seen getting into said vehicle." I'm not letting anyone off the hook yet, but I find it strange that the owner would even be there that early in order to witness anything. I'm going with the theory that the security guard told the owner this, and that since the security guard was the one she was going to confront in order to ask for water, he is the only one she interacted with at the time she would have been killed and buried. Well before dawn. IMO...JMO

ETA Meant to add link. Florida woman vanishes during trip to Costa Rica

Nor sure whether the owner is saying he saw her personally get into a car in the early morning. His words tend to sound like he was told this. "She was last seen getting into said vehicle." I'm not letting anyone off the hook yet, but I find it strange that the owner would even be there that early in order to witness anything. I'm going with the theory that the security guard told the owner this, and that since the security guard was the one she was going to confront in order to ask for water, he is the only one she interacted with at the time she would have been killed and buried. Well before dawn. IMO...JMO

That makes sense - that the security guard said that she got into a car at 5-5:30AM, and the owner and Uber driver simply repeated what they were told.

ETA Meant to add link. Florida woman vanishes during trip to Costa Rica

I agree. I doubt the owner of the property is involved.

Maybe it’s just the translation, but even before she was found I got a weird feeling reading his responses to reviews. It was very aggressive. I spent a couple years in the service industry just not standard practice. MOO but to explain why some, including myself, cast some side eye towards the property owner.

Body found in area where U.S. tourist went missing in Costa Rica

Costa Rican authorities have discovered a body near the area where U.S. resident Carla Stefaniakdisappeared last week. The body, which has yet to be identified, was partially buried and inside plastic near the city of San Jose, a local official told CBS News.

Authorities are working with Stefaniak's family members in an effort to identify the body, said Marisel Rodriguez, a spokesperson for the Costa Rica Judicial Investigative Office.

[...]

Maybe it’s just the translation, but even before she was found I got a weird feeling reading his responses to reviews. It was very aggressive. I spent a couple years in the service industry just not standard practice. MOO but to explain why some, including myself, cast some side eye towards the property owner.
He was most likely being defensive in responding to negative reviews of his property. Those reviews could cost him money by losing business. Murdering a client and burying her on (near) his property is definitely a business killer. Don’t seriously think he is involved.

Another possibility is that the security guard was paid to let the killer in and cover for the killer.

I suppose this could be a case of random violence against an unsuspecting tourist, but I still suspect there may be more to this story.

I was going to post that I didn’t buy beleive she left at 5am, then saw the news...
I think “sketchy” was a reference to it being dark and quiet when power is off...
I am thinking it’s the guard...wish she would have drank from the faucet :(

Not to go off subject, but one should NEVER drink from the faucet in Central America. You should even use bottled water to brush your teeth. You’ll end up on the show Monster Inside Me.

Following... hope SHE is found safe !
Edited for mistake

So sorry to read about the body found.
I don't like to cast doubts on others ... but I feel like she'd have been safer with friends.
Still not sure why she stayed behind one more day ? And moved from her previous hotel/AirBnB ?
For just that one night ?
Trying to put a timeline together for her last movements. Poor Carla. :(

Edited for mistake

So sorry to read about the body found.
I don't like to cast doubts on others ... but I feel like she'd have been safer with friends.
Still not sure why she stayed behind one more day ? And moved from her previous hotel/AirBnB ?
For just that one night ?
Trying to put a timeline together for her last movements. Poor Carla. :(
And sadly, it was her birthday.

It is quite aggressive. He accuses three separate similar posts of being complaints about some other place, and describes the fourth criticism as an insurance scam by an elderly woman.

Under the circumstances, where the Airbnb owner has stated that Carla got into a vehicle with her luggage at 5-5:30AM, is he fair game to sleuth at this point? A body, maybe her body, was wrapped in plastic and half buried in the backyard of his home, and there is blood in her room. He claims she left at 5ish, so doesn't that mean he is not on the up and up and sleuthable here?

Maybe a moderator can weigh in on this question.

Last edited:
I lean that way as well.

I mean, blood found in her room? What kind of owner would leave that in his expensive airbnb home, unless he's a nutcase. A local security guard, on the other hand, isn't going to be too bright, or able to notice his mistakes.

I do think the owner should have been more careful in who he hired as a security guard, and not left a solo female guest so evidently isolated and unable to ask someone else for help.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back