GUILTY MO - St. Louis County - Man enters store, commits sexual assault & murder, 19 November 2018 *Arrest*

Could be? Guess we’ll find out on Wed.
I didn’t see anything on the protective order, thanks for the info.
MOO

Missouri Casenet is a great tool. I wish every state had it.

It's possible the evidence is so overwhelming against Bruce that his lawyers want to just move forward with a plea bargain ala Chris Watts. This case may move relatively quickly through the courts, without a lot of motions and battles between prosecutors and defendant's attys. It happens sometimes.

I'm hoping prosecutors are looking closely at the possibility of other crimes by Bruce and try to use their bargaining process to get as much information from him as possible.

Missouri Casenet is a great tool. I wish every state had it.

It's possible the evidence is so overwhelming against Bruce that his lawyers want to just move forward with a plea bargain ala Chris Watts. This case may move relatively quickly through the courts, without a lot of motions and battles between prosecutors and defendant's attys. It happens sometimes.

I'm hoping prosecutors are looking closely at the possibility of other crimes by Bruce and try to use their bargaining process to get as much information from him as possible.
It would be great if the two surviving STL victims could be spared a trial. I hope that happens, for their sakes. Jmo

If not for this alert employee, I wonder how long it would’ve taken LE to make this arrest....or if their investigation would’ve even led to TB at all? He must’ve perceived himself as such a respectable, upstanding human specimen that nobody would’ve ever connected him to an utterly vicious and depraved murder/attack at the nearby Catholic supply store.

“A former pastor, Bruce worked most recently as an insurance salesman. McGuire did not identify the business where the accused killer left his card. But KSDK reporter Jacob Long previously reported that he was a regular customer at a nearby location of Hotshots, and a waitress believed he had left his card with a bartender.....”
Catholic Supply Shooting Suspect Thomas Bruce Left Business Card at Mall

are you sure it is the same church? TB's old church was Calvary Chapel SeMo. they may have changed the name after he left, but CalvaryChapel.com's church finder didn't show it listed. were you able to find some common info between CCSeMo and Cape Bible Chapel?

i dug around for hours yesterday and came up with very, very little web presence for Calvary Chapel SeMo, mostly basic business listings and one open editorial letter in the local SeMo newspaper. i suspect like a lot of *church plantings* that it never really got off the ground. it seems he had a few congregants meeting for a few years, at 2 of his prior addresses. (HomeMetry & Manta showed it listed at 10800 Lacklink Rd and Manta showed it also listed at 2485 Old Toll Road, both in Jackson) Phone# 573-204-1633. Manta showed annual revenue estimates of 59k - 67k. i dont know how that's figured and given his lack of activity i dont see how those numbers could be realistic (BUT if accurate i'd sure love to know the income source)

perhaps the most interesting thing was an employee was listed by Manta, the name found at AllPeople.com, not sure if TOS allows name to be posted... but it does not seem to be a real person. at least, i could find no one by that name with any connection to Missouri. however, and FWIW (which is most likely nothing)-- Urban Dictionary has a very vulgar but contextually interesting definition posted for that name.
Well I found the name. When I googled the name + Missouri guess what pops up...
It isn't safe anywhere.

Received the following email from MO Court Case.net System via its “Track This Case” service last night:

11B07597-A1B0-4875-B400-CD7038136E1D.jpeg 612D1147-D655-4F6E-8F88-68941A68223D.jpeg

I found the following two orders particularly curious:

1. “Activity Date” 12/4/18 at 2:44 PM: “MEDIA ORDER SO ORDERED”: Does anyone know what the “SO” stands for? “Sketch Order,” perhaps?

2. “Activity Date” 12/4/18 at 2:04 PM: “DJS [Department of Justice] ORDERED TO ALLOW DEFENDANT TO DRESS OUT FOR HIS 12-4-18 @ 9 A.M. APPEARANCE IN THE ABOVE DIVISION. DEFENSE COUNSEL DIRECTED TO PROVIDE DJS CLOTHING BY NOON 12-4-18; SHIRT ONLY.”
Welcome to the Justices Services - Jail Page | St. Louis County

While the article linked below focuses on trials, rather than hearings such as the one TB is having this morning, I found some of the comments from the defense attorneys pretty interesting:

“These days, courtrooms have joined reality television shows as real-life examples of extreme makeovers.

The wrong appearance, many lawyers say, can prejudice a jury or potential jurors. Think 24-year-old James Holmes, who showed up in a Colorado courtroom after the Batman movie shooting last month with orange-red hair. Media outlets around the country stated that Holmes looked deranged and seemed to want to look like the movie chain's villain, The Joker.

What a defendant wears, Norfolk Public Defender Sherri Carr admits, rarely tips the scales for a jury between guilt and innocence. But it does matter, she said. Her office, along with many other local lawyers' offices, keeps closets and drawers filled with shirts, slacks and dress shoes to outfit their clients. They've also been known to make quick dashes to thrift stores.

‘The closer the case, the more difference it's going to make,’ Carr said. ‘It's a subtle thing.’ Their advice to clients, Carr and other attorneys say, is usually simple: Dress appropriately.

They also suggest, encourage and browbeat: Wear shirts with collars.

[SBM]

Some local jails allow families to deliver outfits to inmates, but the clothes must now arrive a few days in advance for security screening, a process [Attorney Shelly] Wood endorses.

[SBM]

One of [Norfolk defense attorney Jennifer]
Stanton's clients accused of robbery several years ago appeared in state court with long, mustard-colored shorts and a striped shirt of many colors. A bright and memorable outfit, Stanton said.

It was also the same one he wore to commit the crime, she said.

He was convicted.” (BBM)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/piloto...cce8832c-e861-5941-bcd7-fad3bedf2191.amp.html

I have also attached the rest of the docket for reference purposes:

FBD40531-43BB-4D41-B675-CCC978DFBD85.jpeg D965ED8B-8B32-4567-9194-8A04F6FC342B.jpeg

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/c....caseNumber=18SL-CR08574&inputVO.courtId=CT21

“Here are photos taken during a court hearing today for accused #CatholicSupply store killer Thomas Bruce. Coincidentally the store in Manchester reopened today. (photos courtesy of Robert Cohen) @KMOV”
Russell Kinsaul on Twitter

Dtq6PYjVsAEOIB1.jpg

Dtq6PYmU4AAIjIX.jpg

Dtq6PYjU8AApJks.jpg

Dtqog-kUwAA42Et.jpg

The last photo is from a different Tweet:
Chris Hayes on Twitter

Received the following email from MO Court Case.net System via its “Track This Case” service last night:

View attachment 158458 View attachment 158459

I found the following two orders particularly curious:

1. “Activity Date” 12/4/18 at 2:44 PM: “MEDIA ORDER SO ORDERED”: Does anyone know what the “SO” stands for? “Sketch Order,” perhaps?

2. “Activity Date” 12/4/18 at 2:04 PM: “DJS [Department of Justice] ORDERED TO ALLOW DEFENDANT TO DRESS OUT FOR HIS 12-4-18 @ 9 A.M. APPEARANCE IN THE ABOVE DIVISION. DEFENSE COUNSEL DIRECTED TO PROVIDE DJS CLOTHING BY NOON 12-4-18; SHIRT ONLY.”
Welcome to the Justices Services - Jail Page | St. Louis County

While the article linked below focuses on trials, rather than hearings such as the one TB is having this morning, I found some of the comments from the defense attorneys pretty interesting:

“These days, courtrooms have joined reality television shows as real-life examples of extreme makeovers.

The wrong appearance, many lawyers say, can prejudice a jury or potential jurors. Think 24-year-old James Holmes, who showed up in a Colorado courtroom after the Batman movie shooting last month with orange-red hair. Media outlets around the country stated that Holmes looked deranged and seemed to want to look like the movie chain's villain, The Joker.

What a defendant wears, Norfolk Public Defender Sherri Carr admits, rarely tips the scales for a jury between guilt and innocence. But it does matter, she said. Her office, along with many other local lawyers' offices, keeps closets and drawers filled with shirts, slacks and dress shoes to outfit their clients. They've also been known to make quick dashes to thrift stores.

‘The closer the case, the more difference it's going to make,’ Carr said. ‘It's a subtle thing.’ Their advice to clients, Carr and other attorneys say, is usually simple: Dress appropriately.

They also suggest, encourage and browbeat: Wear shirts with collars.

[SBM]

Some local jails allow families to deliver outfits to inmates, but the clothes must now arrive a few days in advance for security screening, a process [Attorney Shelly] Wood endorses.

[SBM]

One of [Norfolk defense attorney Jennifer]
Stanton's clients accused of robbery several years ago appeared in state court with long, mustard-colored shorts and a striped shirt of many colors. A bright and memorable outfit, Stanton said.

It was also the same one he wore to commit the crime, she said.

He was convicted.” (BBM)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/piloto...cce8832c-e861-5941-bcd7-fad3bedf2191.amp.html

I have also attached the rest of the docket for reference purposes:

View attachment 158473 View attachment 158474

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/c....caseNumber=18SL-CR08574&inputVO.courtId=CT21
Very interesting about the clothing - thanks for sharing that. I've noticed in other cases outfits that look like they were picked up quickly from the thrift store or from a stash kept in a lawyer's closet - not quite fitting, but better than prison garb.

I chuckled at the defendant who wore the same memorable outfit in court as we wore committing the crime. Not a smart choice! :)

jmo

Deleted Question answered above

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member