NY - Officers pry 1-year-old from Brooklyn mom's arms during arrest, 7 Dec 2018

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Jazmine Headley, 23, is now facing a slew of charges. Headley is now in jail and is barred from seeing her son, Damone. Headley had gone to the HRA building on Friday morning to ask for day care vouchers for her baby so she could work as a cleaner. Eyewitness News was told the city agency was slow and crowded, so there were no chairs available, and Headley sat on the floor with her son to wait her turn.

Headley and her son were not blocking any doors or passageways. When security guards ordered Headley to stand, Eyewitness News is told the mother refused because there were no seats and she had her baby. A supervisor was called - and then police.

Officers pry 1-year-old from mom's arms during arrest

That was horrible to watch. While watching LE try to wrestle the baby away was horrible I have to ask, WTH is wrong with that mother? She has her baby in her arms and is willing to be defiant and refuse to get off the floor? Refuse to leave the building when asked? I don’t understand a mom holding her child putting herself in that situation to start with!! Did she think everyone would just walk away and let her do as she wanted? I just don’t understand.
I’m aware this isn’t a popular stance but she holds most of the responsibility here.

That was horrible to watch. While watching LE try to wrestle the baby away was horrible I have to ask, WTH is wrong with that mother? She has her baby in her arms and is willing to be defiant and refuse to get off the floor? Refuse to leave the building when asked? I don’t understand a mom holding her child putting herself in that situation to start with!! Did she think everyone would just walk away and let her do as she wanted? I just don’t understand.
I’m aware this isn’t a popular stance but she holds most of the responsibility here.
For sitting on the floor?

Are you a mother? Nothing is wrong with that mother. She was protecting her child.

You call the police, or Security guards, they often seem to escalate a situation. They expect to people to obey their commands, if you don't follow the commands, you are defying LEO authorities, and that starts the escalation.

When I was in training for Special Education we were taught non violent de-escalation, perhaps that should be part of LEO training as well.

However, it is a sad comment on our society that no one in the office, offered a chair for a Mother with a child. And, I don't understand why the Mother was so insistent on sitting on the floor.

You call the police, or Security guards, they often seem to escalate a situation. They expect to people to obey their commands, if you don't follow the commands, you are defying LEO authorities, and that starts the escalation.

When I was in training for Special Education we were taught non violent de-escalation, perhaps that should be part of LEO training as well.

However, it is a sad comment on our society that no one in the office, offered a chair for a Mother with a child. And, I don't understand why the Mother was so insistent on sitting on the floor.

Probably tired from holding a child

For sitting on the floor?

I have no idea why there was an issue with her sitting on the floor but she was told she needed to get up. She refused. She was asked to leave the building, she refused. I am horrified that the baby was put in such a position! Security and LE can’t just smile and walk away when someone refuses to do what they are told. Im not sure what else could have been done but I’d be open to hearing ideas.
The point is the whole thing could have been avoided had the mother simply done as she was asked/ told in the first place.

Are you a mother? Nothing is wrong with that mother. She was protecting her child.

I am absolutely a mother, 2x in fact. Who was she protecting her baby from when she refused to get off the floor? Who was she protecting the baby from when she was asked/ told to leave the building and she refused?
I’m not trying to be argumentative. I just don’t see her as an innocent trying to protect her child. JMO

She was sitting in a walkway. She was asked to get up. But no, she wanted to do what SHE wanted. It wasn't about the baby. She should have stood up and moved. PERIOD. She thought she was entitled to do what SHE wanted. Nope... and yes, I AM a mother. She did NOT put her baby first. She USED her baby.

The woman has no job and almost certainly has no transportation. So she's traveled most likely a great distance with a 1 yo and is freaking exhausted. I have a 1 yo and no way could I imagine traveling on a bus or whatever to a building in which I couldn't even sit to hold him and was required to just stand indefinitely.

I think she just lost it and was refusing to obey because it was an unjust request to begin with. What were the security supposed to do? You seriously think that if someone makes a request in a position of power even when there is no law backing their request everyone is just supposed to blindly obey or it's ok to rip their children away from them? Attitudes like this are what's wrong with the LE in this country.

I know police wrongly threw flash bang grenades in a home in my state and could have killed a baby. The baby was badly injured and it turns out they didn't actually have the legal right to do what they did and no proof that someone they were searching for was even in the home. And then they were refusing to even pay medical expenses for the BABY they burned and maimed. Blind obedience to authority is never good and how you end up with serious abuse of power. And I saw plenty of people who supported hurting that baby because people like to pretend that LE are never responsible for anything. If only everyone would immediately respond to them like groveling slaves then they'd never get hurt by them. Jackapples who work in places like this shouldn't be able to get away with playing God and calling in security to force people to leave when they do something as benign as sitting on the floor.

I have a lot of health issues myself and my 1 yo is big and strong. I could not physically handle doing what she was doing without needing to sit either. She was trying to get help so she could get a job and attempt to support her son. If she'd left him alone in the apartment it would have been child abuse. If she'd left him with some random neighbor and something happened she'd be the horrible mom. Instead she took her baby and was tired and SAT ON THE FLOOR. And someone couldn't think critically and calmly address the situation. Everyone in power had to stupidly and foolishly escalate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back