NY - Officers pry 1-year-old from Brooklyn mom's arms during arrest, 7 Dec 2018

If the mother is so emotionally disturbed she cannot conduct herself in a civil manner in public perhaps the child should be removed from her custody.
It seem extreme to say the child should be removed from her custody because the mother was sitting on the floor and refused a request by security to stand.
Seems extreme that she was treated this way for sitting versus standing. Not civil at all.
Do we even know if she had a chance to hand over her baby before she was tackled and dragged around on the floor?
It wouldn't be the first time LE has acted quickly and a citizen didn't have time to process the situation.
Should she have handed off her baby when we don't know how they approached her?
Any signs posted saying no sitting on the floor?
IMO

It seem extreme to say the child should be removed from her custody because the mother was sitting on the floor and refused a request by security to stand.
Seems extreme that she was treated this way for sitting versus standing. Not civil at all.
Do we even know if she had a chance to hand over her baby before she was tackled and dragged around on the floor?
It wouldn't be the first time LE has acted quickly and a citizen didn't have time to process the situation.
Should she have handed off her baby when we don't know how they approached her?
Any signs posted saying no sitting on the floor?
IMO
I cannot believe this. Sitting on the floor? You get tackled and thrown in jail for that in the land of the free?

BBM. I thought that the article said that she was not blocking any doorways or thoroughfares and that she was there for vouchers for childcare.

There are articles that say she wasn’t blocking anything, and articles that say she was blocking a hallway. No way to know right now which is truth honestly. I’m not sure it matters.

Last edited:
Jazmine Headley was released from Rikers Island on Tuesday night and reunited with her young son.

“I just want to thank everybody for all the support I’ve been getting in New York,” she said. “I’m just so grateful — to everyone. And I’m just happy to be free. I just need to see my boy.”

Earlier Tuesday, the Brooklyn DA dropped their case against Headley and a judge ordered her to be released from the jail.

Headley, 23, was arrested on Friday.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/11/mom-whose-baby-was-snatched-away-by-cops-released-from-rikers/

https://www.ebony.com/news/nypd-officers-tear-1-year-old-baby-from-mothers-arms-in-video/

The video was horrible! The whole incident was horrible! It’s unbelievable that ANY of it had to happen. No matter why security told her to get up mom obviously didn’t respond well. That was mom’s first opportunity to de escalate it. Then mom is asked/ told to leave the building and refuses. Mom missed a second opportunity. LE shows up. Mom is told to leave the building and refuses. Mom missed the 3rd opportunity to de escalate the situation.
I wish LE had been able to just haul her to her feet and drag her out of there. Unfortunately I doubt she would have made it easy, and she could very well have dropped the baby.
My point is mom had opportunities to stop this but chose not to. It doesn’t even matter if the initial request made sense to her. She was the one holding the baby. She was the one refusing to do what she was asked/ told. She should have done better by HER child.

Picture this..... I go to get groceries. The store is crowded, the lines are long. I am tired and hungry. Does anyone think it would be okay for me and mine to plop down on the floor and have a picnic? I refuse to get up, refuse to leave the building. After all I’m tired and hungry.
I’m pretty sure I would get hauled out of there pretty quickly.

I thought mom was also being held for that open warrant from NJ? Welcome to NY where we are spongy on crime. Smdh

Right or wrong, it's obvious to me she was using her child as a shield.

Someone posted above about the age demographic of people here. Funny thing, my 19 year old’s opinion was mom was using the baby as a shield so she could do what she wanted. At 19 that’s what he saw.

If the mother is so emotionally disturbed she cannot conduct herself in a civil manner in public perhaps the child should be removed from her custody.

Ok I cant stand for long periods ( back issue) and I am severely emotionally disturbed, however I am an excellent mother, I would be afraid of letting Social services even KNOW that after some of the stories Ive seen for the very reason OF WHAT YOU JUST SAID !

Since when is anyone supposed to think they are putting themselves in danger with LE.

When I was in school decades ago, we were taught LE is your friend. Now we are supposed to be terrified of them.
Yes apparently we are now to fear them , This is a GREAT POST!! Shes already a young mother with young mother struggles , shes trying to get daycare so she can do something other than sit on her A$$ and yes I realize she put herself in that position , but what happened to a little kindness ? its hard to consider following instructions when they don't make much sense and its being presented in a hateful and commanding manner to make you feel less human !!! Again whats wrong with a little kindness

We don’t know that mom was asked/ told to get up in a hateful manner, unless I missed something. Could the original security guard have been a nasty &*$& ? Sure, maybe he was even combative, but maybe mom was too.

Picture this..... I go to get groceries. The store is crowded, the lines are long. I am tired and hungry. Does anyone think it would be okay for me and mine to plop down on the floor and have a picnic? I refuse to get up, refuse to leave the building. After all I’m tired and hungry.
I’m pretty sure I would get hauled out of there pretty quickly.
Except that is not vaguely like what happened here.

Just to clarify...I personally never said her child belongs in foster care. I do think the mother was wrong. It would have been so freaking easy to just stand up. Certainly not worth all of this drama.
As for the charges being dropped, I’m sure public outcry was the driving force behind that. I think I’m actually okay with at least most of the charges being dropped, maybe even all the charges. I do think she should have been handed to NJ for her credit card theft warrant though.

Except that is not vaguely like what happened here.
I’m not sure it’s really different?
Another example, my local DMV does not allow people to talk on their cell phones inside. They also do not allow food or drink inside the building. That have securitythat stays on top of the issue. Should I be able to make calls, eat a donut, and drink a coffee?
I’m trying to see both sides but.... maybe I’m just tired of folks not following policies they don’t want to. Maybe I’m missing something.

We can all just agree to disagree. That’s why I like it here.
FWIW, I like this about WS, also. :)

I am glad she is no longer in jail, but I believe the mother is at fault for putting her child through that traumatic experience. Regardless of who (mom, security, LE) did or didn't do anything (sit, stand, yell, demand, wrestle), IMO, the mom should have ended the insanity before her child had to experience that ridiculous wresting match. The child's well being was sacrificed (by the mom) like a pawn in a chess game.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back