Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted and murdered, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point; but Ted Bundy managed to sire a child while he was imprisoned.

So, instead of imprisoning Ted, instant death penalty, then no time to sire a child. We also had a murderer in our town, shot and killed/injured multiple motorists after he flagged them down one by one late one night. He was found guilty by reason of insanity, committed to a mental hospital, collected social security and bought lots of nice things, got married, sired children, got cured of schitzophrenia (spelling), and then released back to society. And the families of the victims fought to keep him in that hospital year after year. Why do the victim's families have to suffer more by feeling the need to keep these murders from being let loose? All these feelings inside me got stirred up again when it appeared Hania's mother was in the courtroom with this psyco. She has been through enough, and society should take over from here, reassuring Hania's family that justice will be done.

So, instead of imprisoning Ted, instant death penalty, then no time to sire a child. We also had a murderer in our town, shot and killed/injured multiple motorists after he flagged them down one by one late one night. He was found guilty by reason of insanity, committed to a mental hospital, collected social security and bought lots of nice things, got married, sired children, got cured of schitzophrenia (spelling), and then released back to society. And the families of the victims fought to keep him in that hospital year after year. Why do the victim's families have to suffer more by feeling the need to keep these murders from being let loose? All these feelings inside me got stirred up again when it appeared Hania's mother was in the courtroom with this psyco. She has been through enough, and society should take over from here, reassuring Hania's family that justice will be done.
But (civilized) society does take over. He‘s on trial. Or do you mean by ”instant death penalty“ there should be no trial? That would be unconstitutional.

BTW: 164 people on death row have been exonerated since 1974, many through DNA. Those don’t matter?

I also found this website memorial for murdered children and was amazed how many horrible murders have taken place. Maybe we are doomed to have horrible things like this happen no matter what we do. Maybe the death penalty would reduce the genetics of violent tendancies in the human gene pool over time?
Murder Wall....Honoring Their Memories

Welcome to Websleuths, pjextrom !!

Could Hania’s murder have been prevented? 2016 evidence ‘fell through the cracks.’
Using a federal database in 2017, the North Carolina state crime lab discovered that a 2016 rape kit sent from Robeson County matched McLellan’s DNA, which was already in the system due to an earlier felony conviction, Robeson County District Attorney Johnson Britt said.

Those results were sent to the district attorney’s office, then forwarded on a disc to the sheriff’s office, according to Britt. Normally, he said, that “hit” would prompt investigators to locate McLellan and take a new DNA sample to confirm the test.

“At some point, it obviously fell through the cracks,” Britt said. “You hate it. You punch yourself.”

The discovery of evidence in the Aguilar case led to the earlier DNA match in the database, triggering charges in the 2016 rape, Britt said.

In the 2016 rape, Britt said, a man removed an air-conditioner and crawled through a window, assaulting a woman at knifepoint after she tried to defend herself with a gun that did not fire.

Whether more action on the 2016 rape case might have prevented Aguilar’s death, Britt said, “That is something we have talked about.”

Please forgive if this is a repeat --
---------------------------
Could Hania’s murder have been prevented? 2016 evidence ‘fell through the cracks.’
By Josh Shaffer
December 11, 2018 07:44 PM

LUMBERTON - Investigators had DNA evidence linking Michael Ray McLellan to a 2016 rape a year before charging him in the murder of 13-year-old Hania Aguilar, but the sheriff’s office did not follow up, the county district attorney said Tuesday.
[...]
Using a federal database in 2017, the North Carolina state crime lab discovered that a 2016 rape kit sent from Robeson County matched McLellan’s DNA, which was already in the system due to an earlier felony conviction, Robeson County District Attorney Johnson Britt said.
---------------------------
Read more here: Could Hania’s murder have been prevented? 2016 evidence ‘fell through the cracks.’

Artist remembers Hania Aguilar in portrait

An artist, who usually creates portraits of fallen police officers and service members, painted a different picture this weekend-- one of Hania Noelia Aguilar.

On Saturday, Dec. 8, the day of the 13-year-old's funeral, Jonny Castro posted a photo of the portrait on Facebook.

"Hania's favorite color was purple, so I painted her wearing an outfit that she would've liked," Castro said in the post. "I added a White Nun Orchid, the Guatemalan National Flower, to her hair."

Arrangements have already been made to ensure that prints of Hania's portrait are hand delivered to her family in North Carolina and Guatemala.

Those results were sent to the district attorney’s office, then forwarded on a disc to the sheriff’s office, according to Britt. Normally, he said, that “hit” would prompt investigators to locate McLellan and take a new DNA sample to confirm the test.

“At some point, it obviously fell through the cracks,” Britt said. “You hate it. You punch yourself.”

The discovery of evidence in the Aguilar case led to the earlier DNA match in the database, triggering charges in the 2016 rape, Britt said.

In the 2016 rape, Britt said, a man removed an air-conditioner and crawled through a window, assaulting a woman at knifepoint after she tried to defend herself with a gun that did not fire.

Whether more action on the 2016 rape case might have prevented Aguilar’s death, Britt said, “That is something we have talked about.”

Ugh.
This explains why Mr. Britt was not reelected DA of Robeson County.
If he intends to practice law in Robeson County after his term ends, he should devote his time to those in need of a lawyer. Pro-Bono. JMO

JMO - Mr. Britt needs to pay for his inability to keep cases from "falling through the cracks".

JMO

Sorry I am showing up late here, but why hasn’t he seen his daughter since she was a baby? Thanks

Hania was born in the US. Her father lived here when she was born but he traveled back to his home country of Guatemala at some point and he has not been allowed to return to the US since then. The US embassy ruled that he could not come for the funeral because they did not think he would leave and go back to Guatemala after that. They said his bank account was too low showing he does not have strong enough ties to Guatemala (despite him having a business there). This is a reality for many who live in poorer countries-- if they are not super wealthy they will be denied an entry visa.

Ugh.
This explains why Mr. Britt was not reelected DA of Robeson County.
If he intends to practice law in Robeson County after his term ends, he should devote his time to those in need of a lawyer. Pro-Bono. JMO

JMO - Mr. Britt needs to pay for his inability to keep cases from "falling through the cracks".

JMO

I hate playing the blame game but seems to me the Robeson County Sheriff at the time amd perhaps investigators are to blame as well. Not sure if this falls under the Lumberton Police Dept too. SMH! I guess if Hania's death serves to improve things in Robeson Co/Lumberton, then it wasnt in vain.

DA's are highly political. If they don't think they can convict, they won't prosecute. They have old bias against women and children and a victim blaming attitude that makes it easy for them to assume that a jury will look negatively at the female victim for character "flaws" and be reluctant to convict. It's outdated and it hurts women and children.

But! The DA dismissed charges. I want to understand why the DA would dismiss?

I would bet it is probably the same guy. He has a history of violence against women. I don't think this was his first murder. It just doesn't seem like it.

This may be reaching but I was doing a little research and I believe MM was out of prison from 02/09/2016 through February 2018. The bodies of Rhonda Jones, Christine Bennett and Megan Oxendine were all discovered in April/June of 2017.

Here is a link which includes photos of Ms. Jones, Ms. Bennett and Ms. Oxendine:

Autopsy: Cause of death undetermined for Lumberton woman

To me, all 3 are similar in appearance to Hania. Although Hania was MUCH younger, at 5'2" and 126 pounds she was the size of a grown woman

someone should lose their job over this. If only crimes against women and children mattered to the legal system. There is enough evidence and research that certain behaviors and acts predict homicide and MM displayed all of them over and over. This is absolute negligence and should be considered aiding and abetting a murderer.

It was a beautiful and very moving service. Hania was so very loved.

MM is 34 years old and would have been approx 16 (depending on the date of the 2000 crime and his birthday). Crime Online laid it out nicely in this article: Suspect accused of killing teen girl Hania Aguilar has tried to kill, injure others before: Police
MOO

Judge denies bond for man accused of kidnapping, raping, killing Hania Aguilar - WWAY TV
A judge today denied bond for a man accused of kidnapping, raping and killed a Lumberton teenager last month. Meanwhile no decision has been made yet on whether he will face the death penalty.

Michael Ray McLellan, 34, showed no emotion during his first court appearance as the judge read through his charges, which include with first-degree murder, first-degree forcible rape, statutory rape of a person under 15 years of age or younger, first-degree sexual offense, statutory sex offense with a person 15 years or younger, first-degree kidnapping, felony larceny, felony restraint, abduction of child and concealment of a death in the death of Hania Aguilar.

In Robeson County Court this morning McLellan asked for an attorney. The judge said McLellan will likely have two attorneys.

District Attorney Johnson Britt said that because he is leaving office later this month, he cannot decide whether this is a capital case. Instead, he will leave the decision whether to seek the death penalty up to Matt Scott, who won November’s election. Britt, though, said that based on McLellan’s previous record, the death penalty could be a possibility.

He didn’t “show emotion” because he's never had to pay for past crimes he’s done so why worry this time? It’s just part of the process to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member