Nine-year-old commits suicide over bullying

OMG!!! why aren't we ALL on this thread, angry and ready to act?!!! How does this keep happening???

Please read the article @doublestop posted above, please, for Maddie...

A family in Birmingham, Ala., is mourning the loss of 9-year-old Madison “Maddie” Whitsett, who took her own life on Friday after reportedly having “a bad day.”

Madison, who was “energetic, funny, and loved dance,” according to her mom, had struggled with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), which appeared to make her a target for her peers, who had taken to calling her “stupid” and “dumb,”

OMG!!! why aren't we ALL on this thread, angry and ready to act?!!! How does this keep happening???

Please read the article @doublestop posted above, please, for Maddie...

A family in Birmingham, Ala., is mourning the loss of 9-year-old Madison “Maddie” Whitsett, who took her own life on Friday after reportedly having “a bad day.”

Madison, who was “energetic, funny, and loved dance,” according to her mom, had struggled with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), which appeared to make her a target for her peers, who had taken to calling her “stupid” and “dumb,”

We're not ALL of on this thread, angry and ready to act, because we do NOT understand all that goes on, suicide has many causes. For article mentioned the medication that can cause suicidal thoughts. Depression, chemical depression, can cause suicide - I tried it at 10, hello? 'Course in my case, aside from clinical depression, I could not deal with the life I was living - at 10 years old. Wake up, smell the coffee. There are MANY reasons a child commits suicide besides bullying. Maybe we should start looking into the drugs we pump into our children first, then try to find out if they are chemically depressed. Maybe there is no ONE cure all. FGS, don't run around screaming, look into it, study it - you may find there are a lot of reasons, some not even mentioned here. IMO

wait, so you're BULLYING me about my post here? lovely. Wow. "Wake up, smell the coffee."??? Be the solution, not the problem.

How dare you assume anything about me.

We're not ALL of on this thread, angry and ready to act, because we do NOT understand all that goes on, suicide has many causes. For article mentioned the medication that can cause suicidal thoughts. Depression, chemical depression, can cause suicide - I tried it at 10, hello? 'Course in my case, aside from clinical depression, I could not deal with the life I was living - at 10 years old. Wake up, smell the coffee. There are MANY reasons a child commits suicide besides bullying. Maybe we should start looking into the drugs we pump into our children first, then try to find out if they are chemically depressed. Maybe there is no ONE cure all. FGS, don't run around screaming, look into it, study it - you may find there are a lot of reasons, some not even mentioned here. IMO

WHY do so many these days have ADHD/ADDD? WHY are they on so many drugs? Tons of WHY"S. I think part of the reason we are seeing so many younger and younger suicides is because these kids want INSTANT action. Just like Instant gratification. Our kids today are not taught to 'stand strong' or be tough... There was JUST as much bullying 50 years ago, its a 'kid' thing. Its a PARENTING thing. But we need to raise our kids to be stronger. They are coddled, misguided generation(s) and its up to parents to change this behavior. QUIT giving 6 yr olds iphones and let them sit on a computer all day. Playing outside, rough and tumble activities strengthen both mind, and body... and soul.

QUIT giving 6 yr olds iphones and let them sit on a computer all day. Playing outside, rough and tumble activities strengthen both mind, and body... and soul.
I agree with the phone part. I have 2 friends that their girls are being bullied by SnapChat and other SM. Kids today don't bully so much in person they do it over SM. Take away the phone period. imo

How does a 9 yr old even think about suicide as an option? I don't remember being 9 yrs old and thinking about death as a way out. I was a bullied kid. It is crazy that this is such common place now that a young baby knows this as a way away from the pain. My goodness this saddens and angers me all at the same time. Why can't people try to be kind to each other? I am so glad my son grew up with a big heart and was kind to everyone. Even when they weren't to him. It is a scary to be young this day and age.

47575431_2175029149381110_6733882243313303552_n.jpg

Pine Hill Police Department

Sometimes I really despair when I read posts at WS. 9 years old and expected to pull herself up by her bootstraps.
IMO
I don't see that sentiment at all. I see it falling to the parents to put her boots on CORRECTLY to begin with... and her PARENTS to be on top of this. A 9 yr old shouldn't have the freedom or responsibility to deal with this on her own. Thus why i said PARENTS need to raise kids, not put them in front of electronic babysitters. They have no social skills to be able to work out typical kid issues anymore. They hide behind computers and Social Media. You can't read inflection into the t yped word, especially as a child. And putting them on meds that CAUSE suicidal thoughts... um... watch your child more especially at that point. I'd know what my child was doing every second of the day if she had to be on meds for something like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back