GUILTY FL - Jerry 'Mike' Williams, 31, Tallahassee, 16 Dec 2000 *Wife Arrested in 2017*

Karl Etters
‏Verified account @KarlEtters
12m12 minutes ago

Denise Williams will not testify

She is being sworn to say just that

Defense will rest after lunch. State request jury instructions be worked through the rest of the day. Closing arguments in the morning "We are obviously way ahead of schedule," said Assistant State attorney Jon Fuchs

Karl Etters
9m9 minutes ago

And just like that the defense rests its case. That's all the evidence in the 18-year-old case of Mike Williams' murder. His disappearance started as a missing person and boiled over into a murder

At one point it seemed that Williams' disappearance would never be solved. Now we're at the point where his widow is charged with his murder. A jury will decide if she is responsible after closing arguments tomorrow

The defense is asking that part of jury instruction language be changed. Basically the argument is over whether words are acts. Interestingly, defense attorney Padovano dissented on the appeals court ruling which he is asking be changed.

Testimony concludes in Denise Williams trial, closing arguments to begin Friday
  • Dec 13, 2018
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Day three of testimony in the Denise Williams trial closed without a testimony from the accused.

Williams is the Tallahassee woman charged in the murder of her husband Mike.

Mike went missing after a hunting trip on Lake Seminole in Jackson County back in 2000. His body was found last December, 17 years after his disappearance.

[...]

Here's the latest:

12:50 p.m.:
The court is now back from lunch. Denise will not testify in the trial. The defense has rested their case. Court is dismissed for the day. Closing arguments will begin tomorrow morning.
[...]

Guilty, for sure, IMO.

Denise married Brian Winchester (and divorced him) - helped her take out a large life insurance policy (1.5 million) on Williams shortly before his disappearance......

220px-Jerry_Michael_Williams.jpg

Juror questions:
Watch Live: Murder Trial of Denise Williams
Day 3 (Part 1) -12/13/2018
Kathy Thomas testimony

1:41:49 Judge: Juror has a question of this witness; write your question down; sidebar.

1:46:51 Judge asks Kathy Thomas follow-up questions from the jury:

Date Mr Mike Williams disappeared, December 16, 2000, do you have any recollection from that timeframe that stuck out to you concerning either Ms Williams’ or Mr Winchester’s behavior or interaction?

Have you ever physically met Angela Stafford?

Did Ms Williams appear emotionally distraught about the disappearance of her husband . . . back in late 2000 and early 2001?

Today, I was hoping for a smoking gun during the testimony of Kathy Thomas - primarily the early 2018 tape recorded conversation between Kathy and Denise when Kathy was acting as a confidential informant for FDLE.
Nah. . . disappointed. Weak case. o_O IMO

Denise Williams declines to take the stand, trial to resume Friday with closing statements

Updated 3:46 p.m. ET Dec. 13, 2018
[...]
In early 2018, shortly after the discovery of Williams’ remains along the shore of Carr Lake was made public, Thomas started working as a confidential informant for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Special agents Will Mickler and Mike DeVaney gave her a recording device and a fabricated story that Thomas had been subpoenaed in relation to the Mike Williams' case.

In a recorded between call played for jurors, Thomas told Denise Williams she was "freaking out" about the upcoming subpoena date. She was worried, Thomas said, because her current husband would learn she'd been hiding the truth of what she knew about what happened to Mike.

Thomas told Denise how three years after Mike went missing Winchester - who was furious at Denise for cheating on him - told her about what really happened.

"What did he say?" Denise Williams asked. "I would love to know what happened to Mike. He never told me."

An emotional Thomas replied: “Brian told me you all planned it.”

“Planned what?” Williams replied. “Oh my gosh.”
[...]
Denise on the recording never said she knew about the murder or the plot.

Thomas then confessed to Denise not long before he vanished Mike called her. He'd found a lot of cash in Denise's purse and she'd lied about what it was for. He said he thought she had a boyfriend.

"I’ve always thought to myself if I told Mike I think Brian has a girlfriend, I always wondered if he’d still be here," Thomas said, crying. "Why didn’t you guys just get a divorce? I’ve always known you and Brian loved each other."

Denise Williams did not react or answer the question. Instead, she redirected the conversation. Not one time during the recorded phone call did she deny being involved.

“They’ve been lying to me,” Williams told Thomas regarding law enforcement. “They’re playing everybody against each other.”
[...]

Guilty, for sure, IMO.

Denise married Brian Winchester (and divorced him) - helped her take out a large life insurance policy (1.5 million) on Williams shortly before his disappearance......

220px-Jerry_Michael_Williams.jpg
Denise Williams charged with insurance fraud, pleads not guilty
August 10, 2018
[...]
Court documents state Mike Williams applied for life insurance coverage worth $250,000 in February 1995 due to his recent marriage to Denise. Brian Winchester is listed as the agent for the policy.
In March 2000, Mike applied for additional life insurance from a different company, with a policy amount totaling $500,000.
In April 2000, Mike completed another life insurance application worth $1 million, with Winchester listed as the agent.
[...]

‘Sex, Lies, and Deceit': Woman Allegedly Plotted Husband's Murder with His Best Friend — Whom She Married

December 13, 2018

"...In court on Tuesday, Assistant State Attorney Jon Fuchs reportedly told the jurors that the case was all about “sex, lies and deceit.” He said that although Denise did not pull the trigger, she was as culpable in his death as Winchester and, crucially, ensured that Mike went on that fateful hunting trip in 2000....

Denise’s defense, however, insists that the state has no case and is relying on the word of an admitted criminal with good reason to lie.

“There’s no tangible evidence or physical evidence to connect Denise Williams to this crime,” attorney Philip Padovano told jurors, according to the Associated Press. “No confession, no admission, nothing.”

Padovano added that for the jury to convict, they would “have to rely on the word of a murderer and a convicted felon.”
On Wednesday, Winchester took the stand and tearfully described the plan to kill Mike. He told jurors that he had originally intended to drown Mike but panicked as a struggle ensued. He said that he pulled out his gun and shot his former friend.

“When I shot him, it was dark and there was a bright flash,” Winchester testified, before claiming that he was pressured by Denise to kill her husband. “I had to make it happen,” he said. “I had no choice.”

The trial is expected to continue for about two weeks. The state rested its case early Thursday, after Thomas testified, the Tallahassee Democrat reports.

It is unclear whether Denise will take the stand in her defense."

‘Sex & Deceit': Woman Allegedly Plotted Husband's Murder with His Best Friend — Then They Married
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, Dec. 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) Closing Arguments (@ 9am ET) – FL – Jerry Michael “Mike” Williams (31) (Dec. 16, 2000, Tallahassee; found Dec. 9, 2017) – *Denise Merrell Williams Winchester (48/29 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (5/7/18) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & accessory after the fact. Plead not guilty. No bond (denied 6/19/18).
Also charged (8/10/18) with 3 counts of insurance fraud. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $50K for each count.
Trial starts 12/10/18 is just for Murder charges.
Skipping over other stuff....
12/10/18 Day 1: A jury of 6 men & 5 women was seated on Monday after 100 potential jurors were questioned by attorneys and Leon Circuit Judge James E. Hankinson. 2 alternates, both women, were also selected. The trial is expected to last 5 days.
12/11/18 Day 2: The judge admonished the jury after he says one of the jurors made a post about the case. He called the comment “innocuous” and said he would not take action, but warned them to stay off social media. Opening Statements. State Witnesses: Greg Morris, FWC officer who responded to missing duck hunter. Scott Dungey testified on tape (good friend of Mike's). Brian Winchester. Trial continues to 12/12.
12/12/18 Day 3: State witnesses: Brian Winchester. Angela Stafford (co-worker of Mike’s). Investigator Jason Newlin (went with Brian to where Mike’s body was). Ward Schwoob (FDLE crime lab analyst). Cheryl Williams (Mike’s mother). Trial continues on 12/14.
12/14/18 Day 4:
State witness: Kathy Thomas (Brian’s ex-wife). State rests their case. Williams will not be testifying. Defense rests. State request jury instructions be worked through the rest of the day. Closing arguments in the morning (12/14).

Karl Etters
58m58 minutes ago

Closing arguments in the trail of Denise Williams, in which she is charged in the 2000 murder of her husband Mike Williams, are going to start in about 10 minutes

SsfkGHgh

As jury instructions about considering the testimony offered by anyone with immunity, which Brian Winchester has, defense attorney Ethan Way makes eye contact with at least one juror who smiled at him

Winchester was the state's star witness and also the man who confessed to killing Mike Williams, leading to Denise's arrest in May.

link: Karl Etters (@KarlEtters) | Twitter

last post 30 minutes ago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998