CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why he hired an attorney! I'm not so sure he's guilty of anything! In Michelle Parker's disappearance I was sure Dale was guilty but now I wonder if just being the last one to see them makes you guilty. MAybe their just a..holes but not murders!

I totally agree. He is innocent. Until proven otherwise. But here's the thing, there are consequences for acting like an a-hole during an investigation like this. They are not legal but social. But for the last 2 weeks local LE has protected him from the social consequences by not informing the public that he was not submitting to a personal interview with the police. Given how little time there is to find a missing person and the late start they got on this investigation why LE didnt come forward as soon as PF lawyered up and inform the public is a mystery. All I can think of is perhaps on the outside chance she really was abducted by someone else by reporting PF wasn't talking may have caused some people to not be on the look out for KB.

I am pretty sure that her bank accounts and credit card use would have been looked at.
Without her cell phone being active, it’s their best bet to locating her if she is still alive.

If they’re used, LE will know.

I don’t anticipate any activity though, for obvious reasons.

So I wonder then, if on WiFi and VPN without cell service (or in airplane mode on VPN), if the ping would report the IP address and not physical location of the phone?

IMO..a “ping” would be the IP address. It’s all in the terminology though. If LE says they “pinged” in Idaho, that would seem to say that it was triangulation because it points to a specific location (are they using the word pinged in a general sense (shrug?)).

Verizon said that it would be a real ping, but they were speaking generally, not about this ping. I am not sure how much weight you can give that though, because false pings have been recorded.

It was a real ping. Otherwise the FBI would not be involved in the search of PF's property. The only thing bringing them in at this stage is if the crime crossed state lines. If it was a false ping you wouldn't see the FBI

IMO..a “ping” would be the IP address. It’s all in the terminology though. If LE says they “pinged” in Idaho, that would seem to say that it was triangulation because it points to a specific location (are they using the word pinged in a general sense (shrug?)).
No matter the terminology, I think the main takeaway is that they believe her phone was in Idaho on the 25th.

Not an expert but:

triangulation - meaning the device was in the area (within a certain radius)

ping - a remote ping is sent to the device to locate it.

Re: pings. I'm also no expert, but there's a matter of semantics.
ping can refer to a utility that is used to see if another computer exists or is online, etc. I use it most days at work.
The common usage is when cell phones try and contact the nearest cell tower to say "I'm here"
for GPS, call management, getting notifications, etc. This is always referred to as pinging. I guess that's a good term.

I suppose a phone switch, a switch technician or other tech type person could "ping" a cell phone to help
locate it. There's a subtle nuance between pinging a phone, and the phone pinging a tower. I just see the
terms being confused and conflated often.

Pinging and triangulation aren't bulletproof either.
See here: What Your Cell Phone Can’t Tell the Police (A good read for technical aspects of cell phone systems).
Relevant to this case, it can put KB phone within a radius of a cell tower somewhere near the location in Idaho.
Doesn't tell who had it, or where that person was. Could I ship a phone somewhere, have a third party turn it on,
send messages, have the phone contact the cell tower? Absolutely.

This case reminds me of a couple of recent cases in terms of behavior of PF,
as well as phones pinging in unexpected places. Neither scenario is encouraging. MOO

It was a real ping. Otherwise the FBI would not be involved in the search of PF's property. The only thing bringing them in at this stage is if the crime crossed state lines. If it was a false ping you wouldn't see the FBI
The FBI can become involved in a case regardless of if a crime crosses state lines.

All a local law enforcement agency has to do is ask.

They have resources that aren’t readily available to most police departments.

The ping and crossing state lines has nothing to do with the presence of the FBI Response Team. The FBI is assisting the WPPD in the investigation. MOO

I for one, won’t regret calling out the bizarre and incriminating behavior from PF here.

Normal people file police reports when their fiancé has gone off the grid for over a week, especially with a baby involved.

When a police report is filed, normal people make an effort to help locate the missing person.

If one is unwilling or unable to speak to the media, normal people appoint someone to speak for them, as publicity can help to locate the missing.

Normal people do not go radio silent when a loved one is missing.

No, we don’t know for sure that a crime has been committed, but it sure as hell looks that way.

I know where I’m looking.

@MassGuy, but you assume KB is PF’s fiancée. All we know is that they have a baby together and leave separately. We have no proof he is her fiancé. I suspect he is not.

It is true that normal people will do everything to help locate a missing person if it is their SO. What if it is an “ex”?

Same about “loved one”. What if they are not in love? What if PF does not know where KB is, but suspects something, and merely does not want to disclose too much personal information, in case she is alive? He could have said it all to the LE.

Not that I exonerate PF, I merely think we have zero information about the arrangement of that couple, if indeed they are a couple.

Not necessarily. Local LE can request FBI assistance.

Edit: I’m late to the reply party again I see. Don’t mind me

At the press conference the chief did say it was a "multi-state" investigation. So I assume they believe the Idaho "ping" to be legit. So there is investigation going on there and perhaps Wyoming and Utah as well since someone driving to Idaho from Colorado would need to go through them. I believe the FBI is involved because they have been asked to help by local police. Not based upon independent federal jurisdiction (though that could change).

No matter the terminology, I think the main takeaway is that they believe her phone was in Idaho on the 25th.

I’m not sure since they said it could be a false ping. I think they probably have one data point and that’s it, so they can’t 100% confirm. I think they acknowledge the possibility in the event that it was a correct location.

That would mean 3 day duration from last seen (at Safeway) until “ping” on the 25th. Interesting there is no footage of her leaving the store...did she have a few groceries or enough to last a while without needing money?

@MassGuy, but you assume KB is PF’s fiancée. All we know is that they have a baby together and leave separately. We have no proof he is her fiancé. I suspect he is not.

It is true that normal people will do everything to help locate a missing person if it is their SO. What if it is an “ex”?

Same about “loved one”. What if they are not in love? What if PF does not know where KB is, but suspects something, and merely does not want to disclose too much personal information, in case she is alive? He could have said it all to the LE.

Not that I exonerate PF, I merely think we have zero information about the arrangement of that couple, if indeed they are a couple.
I can throw out the “fiance” and “in love” things, as I actually believe that might be the case anyways.

It still doesn’t explain not reporting the mother of his child missing, nor his unwillingness to help locate her.

If he told the police information of a personal nature, information that allowed for an alternate explanation as to her disappearance, they clearly didn’t believe him.

They wouldn’t have served a search warrant otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5280life