CA CA - Nicolas Daniel Sonderegger, 28, Salton City area, 12 Sept 2018

Kano

Former Member
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the youtube channel Explore With Us. They helped crack the Jeffrey Kirkwood case by stumbling upon his camp while exploring.

Well, fastforward to this summer and they were exploring the Salton City area and live streaming it over youtube. They ran into a couple of locals that showed them around. Several months after Nicolas went missing. This area has a reputation of being pretty rough. The Explore with Us channel went back to the area in an attempt to bring attention to the case but so far it remains unsolved.

Missing person anouncment from the Imperial County Sheriff's Office
Imperial County Sheriff's Office

Explore With US video.

How is this not getting more attention? I want to do a video about his disappearance but can't find anything.

Hard to say, i have followed this for awhile and i search from time to time when i come to the forums but i had never seen it posted so far so i went ahead and put it out there. I hope i put it in the right forum lol that said i thought this one would get more attention since there other videos and a fairly large social media footprint related to this case.

There was a huge flash flood in Box Canyon on the highway the runs from that area to the SE LA area a couple weeks after he was last seen. One driver was swept off the road and killed. Did Nicolas have a vehicle? Missing El Centro man's car found in Box Canyon

I do believe he had a vehicle that was present in some of the other livestreams he was featured in and i am not sure what happened with it. It sounds like he left on foot to explore these supposed 'screams' he heard at night. They did find clothing items on what looked to be the shore of the salton sea (never found out if these items had blood on them etc). This area is pretty rough where he went missing. Rough people, weather and so on but. How to explain it, where he went missing looks more 'in town' than out in the canyons.

I was acquainted with Nic before he went missing, I see Austin nearly every day. First I would like to clear the air regarding his vehicle. The silver 4runner he is seen driving in the previous EWU livestream was not involved in his disappearance. He disappeared on foot, and his family has the 4runner at this point in time.

Secondly, I would like to address anyone who has placed their suspicions on Austin. You don't know either of these people. Austin had nothing to do with Nics disappearance. Him and Nic worked together and lived together. They did everything together and without Nic, Austin was stranded. Austin looked for Nic for a few days before he started calling family and the police(it wasn't unusual for one of them to wander off for large portions of a day). Imagine waking up expecting your best friend to be there, and having them just missing. And imagine staying at the site that your friend went missing from for multiple nights; wondering what the hell is going on. He had to leave with Nics family back to San Diego when they came out to look in the days following the disappearance. Austin initially filed the missing persons report with ICSD, and helped investigators look around the areas he was last seen, which is when the articles of clothing he was last seen wearing were found in bushes.

Nic is very much missing and not in hiding. People close to him are devastated, and hoping for answers. He was a smart, funny, kind to a fault. He wanted to like people and for people to like him. He was trusting and very likely happened upon some people who took advantage of his trust and kindness, for whatever reasons...

People need to understand that the ICSD isn't sitting around twiddling its thumbs idly. They have limited resources and unfortunately they cannot aimlessly canvass hundreds and thousands of acres of desert hoping to find something. The best they can do is collect leads and intelligence and properly follow up on those leads. They haven't forgotten about Nic, I guarantee. It's just lacking any solid leads they cannot do much but put their ears to the ground and hope the reward money will bring them information. Also note that it is extremely common for investigators to hold any valuable information close to their chests so that people who they may be investigating as suspects don't realize they are being investigated.

Finally I would like to mention that a close friend of Nic's has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his whereabouts. I will link the reward poster at the end of the post. Share it, send it around, print some out and put them up. Anything to get more exposure to this case. Hopefully the money will get people talking. Reward Poster

I will try to respond if there are any pertinent questions so long that it doesn't reveal personal details. Keep in mind there are still many unknowns surrounding all this.

I was acquainted with Nic before he went missing, I see Austin nearly every day. First I would like to clear the air regarding his vehicle. The silver 4runner he is seen driving in the previous EWU livestream was not involved in his disappearance. He disappeared on foot, and his family has the 4runner at this point in time.

Secondly, I would like to address anyone who has placed their suspicions on Austin. You don't know either of these people. Austin had nothing to do with Nics disappearance. Him and Nic worked together and lived together. They did everything together and without Nic, Austin was stranded. Austin looked for Nic for a few days before he started calling family and the police(it wasn't unusual for one of them to wander off for large portions of a day). Imagine waking up expecting your best friend to be there, and having them just missing. And imagine staying at the site that your friend went missing from for multiple nights; wondering what the hell is going on. He had to leave with Nics family back to San Diego when they came out to look in the days following the disappearance. Austin initially filed the missing persons report with ICSD, and helped investigators look around the areas he was last seen, which is when the articles of clothing he was last seen wearing were found in bushes.

Nic is very much missing and not in hiding. People close to him are devastated, and hoping for answers. He was a smart, funny, kind to a fault. He wanted to like people and for people to like him. He was trusting and very likely happened upon some people who took advantage of his trust and kindness, for whatever reasons...

People need to understand that the ICSD isn't sitting around twiddling its thumbs idly. They have limited resources and unfortunately they cannot aimlessly canvass hundreds and thousands of acres of desert hoping to find something. The best they can do is collect leads and intelligence and properly follow up on those leads. They haven't forgotten about Nic, I guarantee. It's just lacking any solid leads they cannot do much but put their ears to the ground and hope the reward money will bring them information. Also note that it is extremely common for investigators to hold any valuable information close to their chests so that people who they may be investigating as suspects don't realize they are being investigated.

Finally I would like to mention that a close friend of Nic's has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his whereabouts. I will link the reward poster at the end of the post. Share it, send it around, print some out and put them up. Anything to get more exposure to this case. Hopefully the money will get people talking. Reward Poster

I will try to respond if there are any pertinent questions so long that it doesn't reveal personal details. Keep in mind there are still many unknowns surrounding all this.

Nice info! Personally i wasn't much on the conspiracies around the friend and the friend seemed like a nice enough fellow.

I did have a clothing question, what condition were these clothes found in? I guess i am wondering if there any signs of a struggle and so on from the clothing found? Sorry it took me a minute to see your comment. I kinda hit websleuths here and there. Mostly when insomnia has me lol

I dont buy your excuses, anything can cause one person to murder another.
Maybe a fight broke out between the two.

You said austin spent “days” searching before contacting police.

Something stinks here:
1. Were you there while he searched?
2. Were you aware of him searching?
3. Did you know that missing persons reports can be filed 24 hours after someone is missing?
4. Did you consider his claim of “Days searching” might of been “Days hiding/dissolving the body and spreading his personal items around to mislead investigators”?
5. What proof does “Explore with Us” have that his own “KBAR in the car” existed other than claiming he had one like it in the video?
6. What happened to the repurposed wire austin pulled?
7. How did austin “just fall asleep”?
8. Who are you again? Other than what you claimed without evidence?
9. Read question 4 and 8 again.
10. Why do you assume anyone is innocent? Especially the guy who “spent days” “being useless” which were important time periods that cadaver dogs might of found a scent before it was buried/dissolved and even more important “tracks” being covered up?

Number 11.
Interesting that explore with us claimed part of the KBAR Nic had was missing a piece but failed to show his own during their debunk video.

“I fell asleep while my friend wandered off”
How convenient.

Number 12. Not a question, just a statement:One must make theories to suit FACTS not TWIST FACTS TO SUIT THEORIES....
For someone who would “of been completly stranded” without Nic, Austin sure did find a family to look after him quick....

Perhaps Nic was opposed to Austin or and himself moving back in with his family, though Austin felt it was his only way out of crapville USA....

Your demand we not look to as a suspect the one man who “would be stranded without Nic” yet somehow is doing better than before....after neglecting to “be with him” the night he supposedly wandered off...

Makes me think of my own opinion since apparently you think that should matter as far as you are concerned...
“Anyone who cannot exist well on their own means as an adult, without someone to depend upon... is a mooch, plain and simple”.

Perhaps nics family wanted them both to move back in with them, to get them off the streets,
But Nic, would never let Austin “mooch”
Or worse... set Austin off, by stating an INTENT, to do so and leave “Austin Behind” and do so, while both were in a drugged out drunken stupor...

You claim Austin and Nic were joined at the Hip,
Yet Austin was not on drugs as well?

Puh lease......
*kills best friend, waits days to call police or family,
Then asks family if he can move with them, no longer feels safe on his own... talks about how nic would “never abandun muh, is that what you gonna do”?*

Hook, Line, and Sinker.
Watch your back around Austin, he not from Texas....

Something stinks here:
3. Did you know that missing persons reports can be filed 24 hours after someone is missing?
4. Did you consider his claim of “Days searching” might of been “Days hiding/dissolving the body and spreading his personal items around to mislead investigators”?
5. What proof does “Explore with Us” have that his own “KBAR in the car” existed other than claiming he had one like it in the video?
10. Why do you assume anyone is innocent? Especially the guy who “spent days” “being useless” which were important time periods that cadaver dogs might of found a scent before it was buried/dissolved and even more important “tracks” being covered up?

Number 11.
Interesting that explore with us claimed part of the KBAR Nic had was missing a piece but failed to show his own during their debunk video.

How convenient.

Number 12. Not a question, just a statement:One must make theories to suit FACTS not TWIST FACTS TO SUIT THEORIES....
For someone who would “of been completly stranded” without Nic, Austin sure did find a family to look after him quick....

Perhaps Nic was opposed to Austin or and himself moving back in with his family, though Austin felt it was his only way out of crapville USA....

Your demand we not look to as a suspect the one man who “would be stranded without Nic” yet somehow is doing better than before....after neglecting to “be with him” the night he supposedly wandered off...

Makes me think of my own opinion since apparently you think that should matter as far as you are concerned...
“Anyone who cannot exist well on their own means as an adult, without someone to depend upon... is a mooch, plain and simple”.

Perhaps nics family wanted them both to move back in with them, to get them off the streets,
Or worse... set Austin off, by stating an INTENT, to do so and leave “Austin Behind” and do so, while both were in a drugged out drunken stupor...

Puh lease......
Then asks family if he can move with them, no longer feels safe on his own... talks about how nic would “never abandun muh, is that what you gonna do”?*

Hook, Line, and Sinker.
Hey @BigBadW0lF helluva first post... WELCOME!! Sounds like you may know Nic or are close to his family, I'm sad for you not knowing where he's been all this time! Does Austin still live with Nic's family? Please consider becoming a verified insider here, BBW!

If Nic and Austin were attached at the hip, why didn't Austin go with Nic when they 'heard the girl scream'?
Why would he let his good buddy go off by himself? If the place is so dangerous,and their very lives are dependent upon one another?
How could he just go to sleep knowing his attached at the hip buddy went off to rescue a screaming female, in such a dire situation?
How is it his knife sheath was found,but not his knife,and what was that knife Austin had after Nic went missing?

Something stinks here:

Number 11.

How convenient.

Puh lease......

Hook, Line, and Sinker.

First of all if you don't personally know someone then don't say a that oh well maybe this happened or maybe that happened. Don't go around saying Austin might have killed Nic, because you don't know what they were like or anything about them other than what ewu posted about them. Second of all how do you know that Nic left while Austin was still awake? He could have waited for Austin to fall asleep and then go look. I believe in one of ewu's videos about this they mentioned that Austin didn't want to go look.

If Nic and Austin were attached at the hip, why didn't Austin go with Nic when they 'heard the girl scream'?
Why would he let his good buddy go off by himself? If the place is so dangerous,and their very lives are dependent upon one another?
How could he just go to sleep knowing his attached at the hip buddy went off to rescue a screaming female, in such a dire situation?
How is it his knife sheath was found,but not his knife,and what was that knife Austin had after Nic went missing?
Maybe Nic left after Austin fell asleep

Not to be disrespectful or accuse anyone of anything... but has anyone asked or know if drugs were being used by anyone involved in this case? EWU Crew does mention that someone believes Nic possibly began using a week or so prior to his disappearance. That area is fairly rough with a high rate of meth use.

If methamphetamine was being used by either of these young men, who knows what really happened or if the “facts” so far are even accurate.

I remember watching a First 48 episode titled House of Cards. If you want an example of just how difficult it is to investigate a homicide where a drug such as that was involved watch that episode. (Link Below)

Like I said earlier, I am not here to point fingers or accuse anyone involved of anything. Just curious if there is a possibility that either of these men were possibly under the influence at or around the time of Nic’s disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back