CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know why they won’t officially call him a person of interest if they have established enough evidence to execute a search warrant. The sherrif saying he doesn’t want to take that leap to label anyone in the case at this point. That’s not meshing.

He was the last person to see her. That’s probably enough probable cause. If they broke up, that means they probably had a fight. Again, enough probable cause. That still doesn’t mean he is guilty, and if they had any REAL information, he’d be arrested. My guess is, they have little to nothing on him at the moment.

- KB and child went to Safeway around 12:30 MST on 11/22, as evidenced by store video.
- Her cars were parked in her driveway as of 12/2, as reported by her brother.
- Her suitcases and cosmetics were not removed from her home, as reported by her brother.
- Her purse and cell phone are missing, too.
- PF has the child that KB was last seen with.
- KB's phone sent two texts on 11/25, one to her boss and one to PF
- CB, KB's mom reported her missing on 12/2.- Phone ping in Gooding, ID on 11/25 at 5:13pm
- Cinnamon rolls on the counter, possibly made Thanksgiving morning (according to CB)

^ The facts of the case so far. (Thanks PommyMommy) Anyone else want to contribute?

I just thought about something. The texts were sent 11/25 and she wasn’t reported missing until 12/2. The phone company turned around that ping pretty quickly. Not that it means anything either way, but I always immediately think of pings being a somewhat live event. It could havebeen an IP or server ping and not a cell tower ping. I’d assume that is an easier record to obtain? I also wonder if she had any websites left open on her phone, so that when the phone was turned on, maybe one of the sites would refresh and submit an IP to the site. If she has an Apple phone, that information can be accessed remotely I believe (what websites are open on the phone)

It is possible PF isn't talking because someone he loves is responsible for her missing, others may have helped the initial perp, etc. We might have more than one person involved in this. I'm not thinking this at this point, but I'm leaving my mind open for other possible scenarios.
Imo

It isn't required to file a flight plan, but it is highly encouraged.
For instance, the weather in her area wouldn't have made a pilot need to use IFR, or instruments, but it was dark fairly early and flying at night definitely requires instruments.
I'm done with this line of thinking until we have some reason to think that K flew off or was taken away on a plane.
Chi

Last edited:
Guys, if you google ANY criminal defense attorney’s website on communicating with police, they advise against it.

Many state that police are not your friends and their MO is to make an arrest.

The fact that PF isn’t talking is not suspicious. What’s suspicious to me is that he did not report her missing.

Here is an example given by a criminal defense attorney’s website regarding cooperating with police:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gr...ate-with-the-police-won-t-they-just-clea.html

I'm innocent. If I cooperate with the police won't they just clear me?
It's possible, but not something you should count on especially not without an attorney present. In fact, if you are being investigated by the police, unless you have a lawyer by your side, answering police questions is more likely to end up with you being charged with a crime than clearing your name.”
Note the “without a lawyer by your side”. They’re not saying don’t talk to the cops at all - they’re saying to have your attorney with you.

From what we are being told, PF and his lawyer won’t even agree to sit down with police together. Which makes the statement about “not talking to media out of a desire not to impede the investigation” ring hollow

It is possible PF isn't talking because someone he loves is responsible for her missing, others may have helped the initial perp, etc. We might have more than one person involved in this. I'm not thinking this at this point, but I'm leaving my mind open for other possible scenarios.
Imo
I’d bet 1,000 dollars this has happened before which is why her mom didn’t report her missing either. I said this last night, but no one wants to hear it. They’d rather blame PF instead. If the cops had anything on him, he’d be in custody.

This would be understandable. I would rather have the father watch the child than a childcare facility.
I wonder if he provides childcare rather than contribute to the cost of daycare. Kelsey's mom told us that they had plans to get a home together but were unable to do so due to the economy (cattle prices). Maybe they were just trying to save money? MOO

Well said kk, and I completely agree that he needs an attorney. That he has hired one is not the only reason (or even the main one) that many of us find his behavior suspicious. The reasons have been posted over and over by numerous members but we seem to dwell on this one. Weird.
MOO

I don’t think it’s that he hired an attorney that we are defending, it’s that he is probably not talking, not attending vigils, not attending press conferences, based on what his attorney is telling him to do. A lot of what we are listing as red flags can be explained by his hiring of an attorney. I’d also be shocked in any case, if a spouse/significant other’s home is not searched when their other half is missing. Yes, there needs to be probable cause, but I don’t think it would be entirely difficult to prove probable cause for a significant other.

All of this said, I still feel that it’s most logical that PF is involved. But, worth considering the other side too

Just a few thoughts here: First, to me, it appears she may have not disappeared via her decision. Second, too many indicators she disappeared without many items most woman would not leave w/o taking with them. Also the fact BF is not visiting with LE is not unusual. There is nothing to be gained by him either way, and he could place himself in a bad situation even if he is not involved.
Another thing to consider here is if, a big if, KB did have alcohol or mental issues, it would damage her career being she is in the aviation field. If she were to consider outside help she could possibly attempt to do it privately. Leaving the area of her employment would the best answer. Also, considering her career field, there are going to other indicators if she had plans to leave the area. Most of us in aviation kept records and data on a planning calendar. There is much more that LE has that has not been let out. They have to keep investigations under reaps until they have what they need to close it out. JMO. Peace

The two press conferences together were less about giving information and more about applying pressure. I thought the first presser was obvious enough but now they’ve dropped all pretense: PF is a POI without the title. At some point isn’t it semantics? It’s obvious they at least want to dig deeper in regard to PF and they have enough information to search the property. PF very well could be innocent but the police have seemed to think, even since the first press conference, that there are significant questions surrounding him.

I'm still 100% sitting in Switzerland. I have no opinions, presumptions, nothing. And I will stay this way because there still not enough information to do anything but speculate. Since I'm old, it keeps the clutter down in my brain.:cool:
I enjoyed this post and laughed as I see myself. Have to admit, we know nothing about Kelsey’s life. But I’m going with the direction of LE here and the fact that PF isn’t helping. Guess I have left Switzerland for now.
I would love to be wrong. That baby needs her mother and her daddy. So sad.

That’s a non-starter for me bc others, including my brothers who live nearby, would not be able to look at my house and know for sure if I had another suitcase, additional makeup, more clothes, or another toothbrush. I have all these things, including a second set of makeup and toiletries I take to the gym or when traveling.

It would be for me as well. However, KB lived in a small home, and I believe her brother said 'suitcases' (plural). So it may be different for her. To me, the cars are a bigger clue - and the rolls. You leave the rolls out long enough to cool and then you cover them.

Another thought that occurred to me is that if she decided to visit family, she would more likely have brought her daughter. Yes, people will say it's hard to travel with a toddler. But I say, the grandparents would want to see their grandchild who they rarely get to see.

I’m often so torn on LE not needing help. While they are highly trained and likely good at their jobs, there is always benefit in “group think”. As an investigator/analyst, it’s helpful to try to identify any and all possibilities, especially early in an investigation. For example, who would have thought that Natalie Bollinger really did put a hit out on herself on Craigslist? Sometimes the most out-there possibilities happen, and they can’t all possibly be thought of by a small group. I guess if they feel that the public is required for that purpose, they release more information. While several groups are just people with no experience in crime, there are also places (like WS) where people have spent years studying cases and researching murders and missing people. It’s a missed opportunity of help sometimes.

The CBI and FBI and local police have multiple people - professionals - working on the case. They work as large groups, small groups and as individuals.

It is not a missed opportunity. To risk the integrity of a case by publicizing sensitive information in the off chance that certain well- informed amateurs will be able to assist would be ridiculous and the thought that they should do so sounds like hubris, IMO.

We cannot lose sight of the fact that a completely random person abducted her. When I was very young, I lived on a corner street. I had a little flower garden that I worked in very often. One night a guy kept beating on my door. He would leave and come back and start beating on my door again. I called the police, and he was arrested. He was married and lived 2 streets over from me. He had pages of arrests for all kinds of things.

Sadly, predators notice young women who are alone. A small town like this would increase this chance of a young, beautiful woman like KB being noticed by a predator who lived nearby who had noticed she was often alone.

PF may be guilty or he may be terrified that he will be implicated like CW because he was the SO. Whatever the circumstances, I hope so much that KB is still alive and in good condition. My heart feels sad for her family who is going through this traumatic circumstance.

Note the “without a lawyer by your side”. They’re not saying don’t talk to the cops at all - they’re saying to have your attorney with you.

From what we are being told, PF and his lawyer won’t even agree to sit down with police together. Which makes the statement about “not talking to media out of a desire not to impede the investigation” ring hollow

Actually, defense attorneys will not advise that a client voluntarily answer questions from the police.

Here’s a simple example from a defense attorney’s website:
Criminal Defense Lawyer for Police Interviews

SHOULD YOU VOLUNTARILY SUBMIT TO A POLICE INTERVIEW?
NO! The Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution and Article I, Section 9 of the Pennsylvania Constitution provides an absolute right against self-incrimination for a reason. Use it. Under no circumstances should you voluntarily submit to police questioning.

I know what you are thinking: "I'm innocent! There is no way they can arrest me. It's just a misunderstanding and I will simply go down to the police station, tell my story and they will let me go."

Sadly, many people have thought the same thing before you and have ended up serving life sentences for crimes they did not commit. How do I know this? Simple: Today, the Innocence Project reports that Over 250 people have been exonerated and released from prison after being convicted for crimes they did not commit. Some of the reasons the individuals were convicted included, eyewitness misidentification, false confessions/admissions and government misconduct.”

I am new to this site but, I have been following this sad case and this particular thread since day one. I always stay up to date with current events and as I read more and more about this whole thing the less I understand. I have been able to read almost every post, every question, every comment, etc. here. I may have missed a few here and there which means the questions I have may have been asked. If so, I apologize. Something the police chief responded with during the press conference yesterday kind of bugs me. When asked if it was "wise" to leave the baby with PF he answered with, "'I have no information at this time that I need to take that child away at this point." I don't understand how they had enough information to gain and execute a search warrant but, none of the info that made that possible raised concern for the welfare of the baby? That doesn't sit well with me. Makes me wonder about how strong their evidence or reasoning was/is.
You make a very good point! I did discover real evil in the world following Josh Powell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong