CO CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

Woman called suspect in '83 abduction, death
August 2, 2006

Viola Moya has been a target of investigators since the early years of the case - one of the most nagging mysteries in Colorado for nearly a quarter-century - said Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden, who was an agent with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation from 1992 to 1998.

At least two investigators, however, believe Moya could have participated in Miller's kidnapping, killing and the hiding of her dismembered body west of Empire. They believe Miller was assaulted in the back of a truck by Moya's friend, Edward Apodaca, while Moya drove.

Apodaca was killed by his wife and mother-in-law in New Mexico in 1990. But five or six years before he died, Alderden said, Apodaca allegedly confessed to former Denver police officer Rafael Benfante.

http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=9188

There was also a kidnapping in Greeley, Colorado in December of 1983 I believe and the girl was about 14. I can't remember her name, but I never heard that she was found either.

I couldn't find anything for Dec. 1983, but I did find Jonelle Renee Matthews who disappeared at the age of 12 in Dec. 1984:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/198dfco.html

Could that be the one you were thinking of?

Hi
May I please ask if anyone knows any more information,newspaper articles anything at all on the remains found in Empire, Colorado in 1994 and does any one know or can find out about the hair being tested by the FBI.Did they get get DNA? If these remains arent beth maybe they are my sisters who came up missing in 1983 also.

suzanne

I couldn't find anything for Dec. 1983, but I did find Jonelle Renee Matthews who disappeared at the age of 12 in Dec. 1984:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/198dfco.html

Could that be the one you were thinking of?

Yes Gina_M! That is the one!!!!

Thank you for posting all the info about Beth's case. I never knew about the suspects until today. What kind of sick freak is this woman?:furious::furious::banghead::banghead:

Hi
May I please ask if anyone knows any more information,newspaper articles anything at all on the remains found in Empire, Colorado in 1994 and does any one know or can find out about the hair being tested by the FBI.Did they get get DNA? If these remains arent beth maybe they are my sisters who came up missing in 1983 also.

suzanne

Suzannec: I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Where did she go missing from?

I looked up all the links that Gina_M posted, but I couldn't find out if a match was made on the DNA. The only recent news was about the Grand Jury that is now investigating the case.

Apodaca was a former cop...

Insiders believe the case hinges on Edward Apodaca, a politically connected former cop who was slain in 1990, and his girlfriend, Viola Moya, who twice confessed being involved with Miller's disappearance to investigators but later recanted.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_4252698

This guy sounds like he was a real peach. His own wife and her mother killed him. I hope the Grand Jury is able to get a statement from his former wife about this case, maybe he told her something.

This Moya woman was around 38 when this happened. I wonder how she would feel if it were one of her kids or grandchildren that this happened to? I think she is involved up to her eyeballs after reading the Denver Post article. She led investigators to where the bone fragments, piece of hair, and remnants of the shirt were. Plus, she failed a polygraph about her involvement.

I remember when Beth disappeared and the news about the truck with the camper shell and out of state license plates was released. I also remember how the investigation was mishandled from the very beginning, just like the JonBenet murder investigation.

It seems this Edward Apodaca sure may have been less than respectable. A former cop? How did this happen? Does anyone know his background?

It seems this Edward Apodaca sure may have been less than respectable. A former cop? How did this happen? Does anyone know his background?

I googled his name last night, but couldn't come up with anything. I also tried his ex-wife's name, and nothing showed up about either one of their histories.:waitasec:

Bumping for Beth....

Trino, as I type this, I am trying to find out some more information on Edward Apodaca. It is possible he has a brother who did time in New Mexico for sexual assault.

Bumping for Beth....

Trino, as I type this, I am trying to find out some more information on Edward Apodaca. It is possible he has a brother who did time in New Mexico for sexual assault.

This is so interesting because I was just today reading about the case of Kait Arquette. She was killed in 1989, and her murder remains unsolved. Her mother is Lois Duncan, a famous author. You can read about Kait's murder in the book Who Killed My Daughter by Lois Duncan. Lois Duncan also has a website devoted to the case.

One of the principal suspects is Paul Apodaca. He had, according to Duncan's website, a violent history with women. He is currently incarcerated because he sexually assualted his 14-year-old stepsister. Is this the brother from New Mexico you are referring to? Kait's murder took place in Albequerque.

This is so interesting because I was just today reading about the case of Kait Arquette. She was killed in 1989, and her murder remains unsolved. Her mother is Lois Duncan, a famous author. You can read about Kait's murder in the book Who Killed My Daughter by Lois Duncan. Lois Duncan also has a website devoted to the case.

One of the principal suspects is Paul Apodaca. He had, according to Duncan's website, a violent history with women. He is currently incarcerated because he sexually assualted his 14-year-old stepsister. Is this the brother from New Mexico you are referring to? Kait's murder took place in Albequerque.

Yes, he's the one. Only he's out on parole now. I read over at the Arquette's site a lot. I have a great deal of respect for the Arquette family. Lois Arquette is a very wonderful person.

I really don't think Kait's case is unsolved. I think the DA and the other "Powers that Be" in New Mexico didn't want their drug connections to be found out. I also think that Matt Griffin, the former police officer and bank robber might have had something to do with Kait's murder. Of course, that is just my opinion.

If these two are brothers it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I wonder when the Grand Jury in Colorado concludes? I haven't heard anything else about this case. Anyone???

Anything new on this investigation?

Hi
I am interested in this too.Did they ever check the hair for DNA with her mother?Did it match?Do you have more information on the hair and bones found?Are these bones,hair considered an unidentified Jane Doe?What date was this hair and bones found?

suzanne

Anything new on this investigation?

A Clear Creek County grand jury has issued a short but scathing report accusing law enforcement of "a clear lack of professionalism" in the investigation of the 1983 disappearance of Idaho Springs teenager Beth Miller.

The jury also found insufficient evidence to indict anyone in the 24- year-old mystery, which has been investigated at various times by the Idaho Springs police, the Clear Creek Sheriff's Department, the FBI, Denver police and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

"Jurisdictional disputes were particularly at fault in slowing and eventually sabotaging the investigation," the jurors wrote.

"During the 24-year investigation involving five agencies many documents and statements became hard to corroborate, and others were lost and destroyed."

The jury's conclusion that there is no one they could indict likely brings to an end a vexing and highly publicized investigation into the Aug. 16, 1983, disappearance of the 14-year-old who vanished while on a morning jog.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5740990,00.html

A Clear Creek County grand jury has issued a short but scathing report accusing law enforcement of "a clear lack of professionalism" in the investigation of the 1983 disappearance of Idaho Springs teenager Beth Miller.

The jury also found insufficient evidence to indict anyone in the 24- year-old mystery, which has been investigated at various times by the Idaho Springs police, the Clear Creek Sheriff's Department, the FBI, Denver police and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

"Jurisdictional disputes were particularly at fault in slowing and eventually sabotaging the investigation," the jurors wrote.

"During the 24-year investigation involving five agencies many documents and statements became hard to corroborate, and others were lost and destroyed."

The jury's conclusion that there is no one they could indict likely brings to an end a vexing and highly publicized investigation into the Aug. 16, 1983, disappearance of the 14-year-old who vanished while on a morning jog.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_5740990,00.html

Its a pity the Grand Jury cant penalize the L.E. supervisors responsible for this mess.Utter ego tripping arrogance.

I just found this thread again. I am so angry that no one will ever be held responsible for Beth's kidnapping and death. And so angry that local LE didn't accept the help they so obviously needed to investigate her kidnapping.:behindbar

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back