GUILTY IA - Michelle Martinko, 18, stabbed to death, Cedar Rapids, 19 Dec 1979

DNA evidence leads police to charge Iowa man with murder in 1979 killing of Michelle Martinko (with clip)

Dec. 20, 2018

"Exactly 39 years after Michelle Marie Martinko was killed and left in her family's car in a Cedar Rapids mall parking lot, police arrested and charged a Manchester man with first-degree murder.

Police arrested Jerry Lynn Burns, 64, on Wednesday morning in the decades-old fatal stabbing. Burns, who was 25 when Martinko died, will make his first court appearance Thursday morning in Linn County.

In a statement announcing the arrest, police said Burns was questioned at his job Wednesday in Manchester and denied killing Martinko. He could not offer a "plausible explanation" for why his DNA was found at the crime scene, authorities said....

Burns was held Wednesday night at the Linn County Jail, records show. He did not yet have an attorney listed in court records who could be reached for comment. ..."

DNA evidence leads police to charge Iowa man with murder in 1979 killing of Michelle Martinko
---

Michelle Martinko: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

"...Here’s what you need to know:..."

Michelle Martinko: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
---

Michelle-Martinko-Cedar-Rapids-Police-Department-FB1-e1545270750825.jpg

Mitch Fick‏Verified account @MCFick 16h16 hours ago
This is a picture of Jerry Burns' yearbook photo (taken by @EvaCBS2Iowa) from West Delaware High School in 1972, seven years before the death of Michelle Martinko. Burns was charged with Martinko's murder this morning, exactly 39 years after her body was found.

Du4DAiwXcAERpJZ.jpg

-----

fa763bf0-8acb-427c-a363-83fb77b32d49-large16x9_DNAPHENOTYPINGGRAPHIC.png

(New composites of the man suspected of killing Michelle Martinko created by Parabon Snapshot. From the left, the renderings show the suspect at age 25, the suspect at age 25 with long hair, and the suspect at age 50. [Photos courtesy CRPD])
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
DNA evidence leads police to charge Iowa man with murder in 1979 killing of Michelle Martinko (with clip)

Dec. 20, 2018

"Exactly 39 years after Michelle Marie Martinko was killed and left in her family's car in a Cedar Rapids mall parking lot, police arrested and charged a Manchester man with first-degree murder.

Police arrested Jerry Lynn Burns, 64, on Wednesday morning in the decades-old fatal stabbing. Burns, who was 25 when Martinko died, will make his first court appearance Thursday morning in Linn County.

In a statement announcing the arrest, police said Burns was questioned at his job Wednesday in Manchester and denied killing Martinko. He could not offer a "plausible explanation" for why his DNA was found at the crime scene, authorities said....

Burns was held Wednesday night at the Linn County Jail, records show. He did not yet have an attorney listed in court records who could be reached for comment. ..."

DNA evidence leads police to charge Iowa man with murder in 1979 killing of Michelle Martinko
---

---

This is a picture of Jerry Burns' yearbook photo (taken by @EvaCBS2Iowa) from West Delaware High School in 1972, seven years before the death of Michelle Martinko. Burns was charged with Martinko's murder this morning, exactly 39 years after her body was found.

Du4DAiwXcAERpJZ.jpg

-----

(New composites of the man suspected of killing Michelle Martinko created by Parabon Snapshot. From the left, the renderings show the suspect at age 25, the suspect at age 25 with long hair, and the suspect at age 50. [Photos courtesy CRPD])
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see what would happen with the image if they add some weight to him.

One of the most troubling things about this case is what some other girls were doing after the murder. The issues at the grave site, and the calls to the family at Christmas time were so cruel. Her sister said girls would call and ask for Michelle. When they were told she was dead, they would giggle and hang up. Being stabbed so many times in the face really speaks to the hate of her beauty.

Attachments

• Michelle.jpg
    Michelle.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 85
Here's from the court site on what's been going on.

Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
Appearance GRINDE DAVID ERIC 12/21/2018 12/21/2018 12/21/2018
Comments: AND MOTION FOR DISCOVERY
Appearance SISSEL BRIAN K 12/21/2018 12/21/2018 12/21/2018
Comments: AND MOTION FOR DISCOVERY
App for Counsel/Financial Statment BURNS JERRY LYNN 12/21/2018

12/21/2018 12/21/2018
ORDER APPOINTING PUBLIC DEFENDER JONES CASEY D 12/21/2018

12/21/2018 12/21/2018
Comments: COPY TO DEFT 12/21/18
Other Order GRADY PATRICK 12/20/2018 12/20/2018 12/20/2018
Comments: GRANTING EXPANDED MEDIA COVERAGE; COPY TO MEDIA COORDINATOR
12/21/18
Media Coordinator's Notice

12/20/2018 12/20/2018 12/20/2018
Hearing for Initial Appearance JONES CASEY D 12/20/2018 12/20/2018

12/20/2018
Comments: PH 12/28/18 @ 8:30; BOND $5,000,000.00 CASH ONLY
Criminal Complaint MAYBANKS NICHOLAS GEORGE 12/20/2018 12/20/2018

12/20/2018
Comments: IN CUSTODY

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

No next court date yet - but I'll keep my eye out!

Dec. 20, 2018

---

---

Du4DAiwXcAERpJZ.jpg

-----

burns_composite.jpg
Check out how similar the digital/DNA composite is when you put it side by side with the high school senior photo (keep in mind the crime was committed roughly seven years later when he was married and 25 years old). Some impressive work with the rendering and genealogy DNA work to crack this case.

Is this cold case linked to the murder. Possibly Brian knew something.

Brian Burns
I wondered this too. I know they had a face face composite from DNA, but don't really say it helped them find the guy. What if his cousin did an online DNA test or was talking about doing one and the suspect thought making him disappear would stop that process so that it wouldnt connect back to him.

Also, the stabbing of her face and lack of any type of sexual assault and finger prints still makes me think it was a jealous woman and it was a planned attack. I read elsewhere that the back door to the car was unlocked, but that was someone's comment, not an article. The fact that he committed no other crimes (that we know of) causes me to wonder if he held the girl down while she was being killed. Maybe he asked her to drive him to a broken down car and she was attacked by someone else entirely who then got in her car to leave. It might explain why no one saw a man covered in blood, but there was blood on the gearshift after he drove her car back to the mall.

The suspect was married at the time of the murder. His wife committed suicide in 2008.

I read up on this case the other day after I saw the anniversary in the headlines. I was shocked and elated when I saw that DNA had led to an arrest. DNA might solve two murders, in this case. Brian disappearing on the anniversary of Michelle's disappearance just days after an anonymous tipster who police felt was very credible ... I'm intrigued to see the details unravel.

I read up on this case the other day after I saw the anniversary in the headlines. I was shocked and elated when I saw that DNA had led to an arrest. DNA might solve two murders, in this case. Brian disappearing on the anniversary of Michelle's disappearance just days after an anonymous tipster who police felt was very credible ... I'm intrigued to see the details unravel.
It sounds like the tipster tried to finger someone else that was at the mall that day. I wonder if the perp knew he left DNA and that he was going to get caught soon. The attempt to pin it on someone else appears to be one more evil act by the perp. I'm guessing the perp knew the tipster. The police did not fall for that because the DNA did not match. Who was the tipster? He must had knowledge about the scene, because police knew he was credible.

Dec. 20, 2018

---

---

Du4DAiwXcAERpJZ.jpg

-----

Thank goodness for DNA. I can’t imagine waiting 39 years for justice for the death of your loved one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back