CA - Bakersfield 3: Disappearance of Baylee Despot and murders of James Kulstad & Micah Holsonbake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catching up.From the above link:

“Family last saw Holsonbake, 34, on March 23. A month later, Baylee Depot, 21, was last seen by family. In between the two disappearances, on Apil 8, James Kulstad was found shot and killed.

Here is the text of the news release from the Bakersfield Police Department:

The Bakersfield Police Department is investigating the disappearance of Micah Holsonbake. Investigators have received information leading them to believe Micah Holsonbake is deceased, and that he was murdered.”

Catching up.From the above link:

“Family last saw Holsonbake, 34, on March 23. A month later, Baylee Depot, 21, was last seen by family. In between the two disappearances, on Apil 8, James Kulstad was found shot and killed.

Here is the text of the news release from the Bakersfield Police Department:

The Bakersfield Police Department is investigating the disappearance of Micah Holsonbake. Investigators have received information leading them to believe Micah Holsonbake is deceased, and that he was murdered.”

Olivia LaVoice KGET 17 News
December 20 at 4:29 PM ·
BREAKING: Family of Micah Holsonbake says an arm found in the Kern River this summer has been identified as belonging to the missing man. The news comes after DNA analysis done by a private lab. BPD says the case is now being investigated as a homicide. Now more than ever, the mothers behind the Bakersfield 3 need someone to step up and give them answers.
Meanwhile, an update on the restraining order request against Baylee Despot's mother.

People use murder and homicide together a lot, because they don't know the difference. The case is being invesigated as a homicide along with James Kulstad case. Misquote perhaps....

Very true but are we dealing with someone who is done this before or a first time offender?
Well if a person or group of people killed all 3 at different times then that main someone is definitely capable at easily going the next level to dismember a body.

Plus the person who did dismember one of the bodies may have done it to instill fear in the others so they wont cooperate with law enforcement.

So possibly look for the crazy alpha male of the group that has been to prison before and most likely has a girlfriend that is scared to talk.

Well if a person or group of people killed all 3 at different times then that main someone is definitely capable at easily going the next level to dismember a body.

Plus the person who did dismember one of the bodies may have done it to instill fear in the others so they wont cooperate with law enforcement.

So possibly look for the crazy alpha male of the group that has been to prison before and most likely has a girlfriend that is scared to talk.

Now that was quite interesting.

Four months ago, James Kulstad died in his brother's arms after being shot to death in a quiet Southwest Bakersfield neighborhood. It was a drive-by shooting, James was shot in his car and crashed into a parked trailer. Family says James was always a very family oriented person and his top priority was being a good father to his daughters. There are so many unanswered questions that make the Kulstad family's grief that much more agonizing. If you know anything about the murder of James Kulstad, call BPD at (661) 327-7111 or Secret Witness at (661)-322-4040. Any bit of information could help.

News Credit: Olivia LaVoice KGET 17 News

The first thing that stands out to me here is MO: Drive by shooting.

Trying to get caught up here, from the above link:

“BAKERSFIELD, CA - The mother of missing woman Baylee Despot was in court this morning, fighting accusations that she is harassing Baylee's ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend.“

Snip

“The last time Jane Parrent saw her 20-year-old daughter Baylee Despot, it was in the front yard of Baylee's boyfriends home, 42-year-old MQ. Now, another young woman, SW, who's referred to herself as a friend of Baylee's, is in a relationship and living with MQ. She feels Jane Parrent is harassing her because of Baylee's disappearance.”

—-

“Sheriff's officials say leads continue to be investigated and a number of people have been interviewed. Also, deputies have conducted ground, air and K9 searches.“

—-

“The mothers of Micah, Baylee and James connected when they realized their three children ran in the same friend circle.

Since then they have spanned much of Bakersfield, posting fliers, creating a Facebook page and urging investigators to look into the possible connections.“

——

“The mothers have embarked on a public outreach campaign, asking anyone with information to come forward to the police.

They have labeled their children as the Bakersfield 3.“

—-

“The mothers of Micah, Baylee and James connected when they realized their three children ran in the same friend circle.

Since then they have spanned much of Bakersfield, posting fliers, creating a Facebook page and urging investigators to look into the possible connections.“

“On Aug. 18 a group of young people was playing in the Kern River near Hart Park discovered a bag weighed down with rocks. Inside the bag was a human arm, from the forearm to the hand. Though the bag has been on the bottom of the river, it was moving with the current, so investigators say it could've been dropped anywhere upstream.“

[Admin Note: names changed to initials for individuals who are not victims or officially named POI/suspect]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I remember parts of that case, but not all the details involving Jessica.

(Trust me, you don’t want to know. :(

(ETA: Warning Graphic:

Since you had asked about dismemberment and we were talking about it I’ll go ahead and say that he took sexual liberties with her body parts.)

“James John Kulstad II
August 9 1979 - April 8 2018

On April 8, 2018, the La Jolla surf traded their most passionate surfer to shred the pipeline in Heaven. James is a Bakersfield native and attended West High School, Class of '98. His reason to live was for the future of his daughters and to surf (regardless of weather conditions). He moved to La Jolla in search of a dream and to hunt for the next best surf break. James was an entrepreneur who never stopped brainstorming to grow his dreams into reality.

Among his many designs, the two nearest and dearest to his heart were his Less Mess Bibs and his developed and patented product for the Action Sports Industry (Torch Skateboard Trucks). He also enjoyed pipeline welding in between his sick days (playing hooky to surf). All those who knew James appreciated his love for the water, golf, fashion and extraordinary culinary skills. James was always a sucker for table games and the desire of chance amongst the dazzling lights and excitement of Las Vegas; this is where he earned the name, "Joe Vegas."

His idea of success was measured by achievements and acceptance; never by wealth. He would never turn a shoulder to one less fortunate than himself. James has striking blue eyes, a heart of gold and a smile to last a lifetime. James was a caring and thoughtful soul and a role model to aspire to. In his last days, James labeled himself an Indigo Child. May he rest in paradise and live on in our hearts forever.

James was a beloved father, son, sibling and uncle who is survived by his daughters.”

Source: legacy obituary

—-

From Oct.7:

Candlelight vigil honors 'Bakersfield 3'

“Bakersfield Police say 38-year-old James Kulstad was shot and killed in a Southwest Bakersfield neighborhood in a possible drive-by shooting.

Micah Holsonbake went missing in March and was last seen in March 2018, in the area of Flower Street and Mount Vernon Avenue in East Bakersfield.“

—-

From April 10:

Shooting victim identified as James Kulstad II

“Around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, BPD responded to call for a car crash on Cobble Mountain Road near Sandstone Lane. It is there officers found a man behind the wheel of a car suffering from a gunshot wound. BPD says he died from his injuries.

Although the investigation is still ongoing, BPD says they believe the man was driving though the area when he was shot at by another car. He then crashed into a parked car. BPD says the vehicle that fired the shots left the are before officers arrived.“

—-

The Bakersfield 3:The disappearances of Micah Holsonbake, Baylee Despot, and murder of James Kulstad

“35-year-old Micah Holsonbake had been missing for a week when 38-year-old James Kulstad was gunned down in a quiet Southwest Bakersfield neighborhood on April 8. James was driving near Sandstone Lane and Mountain Ridge Road when someone fired into his vehicle.”

Snip

“If you have any information on the murder of James Kulstad or the disappearance of Micah Holsonbake, call BPD at 327-7111.

If you know the whereabouts of Baylee Despot call KCSO at 861-3110.You can always remain anonymous by calling secret witness at 322-4040. The mothers have also set up an email account for anyone who'd like to contact them, the account is kerncountyjustice@gmail.com

The mothers have also created a Facebook page called the Bakersfield 3: “

Last edited:
So, all this is really just thoughts put of my own head. It isn't any kind of researched information.

The reason, to me, "drive by" shooting is important is because micah was found dismembered. So one, they targeted and shot while he was driving. And one, they at some point cut up into pieces and dumped. So, we aren't looking at someone who uses the same way of killing. That, to me, is somewhat advanced. For there to be 3 in such a short timeframe, this suggests to me it has been done before or at least it is someone with a history of violence and rage.

As for where are the other body pieces, I'm going to guess more of the same. All in bags weighted down. Maybe all in different water, maybe some thrown in dumpsters. They were hoping there was no "body" to find. Unluckily for them, they basically changed it from 1 in a million chance of finding to 12 (or however many pieces) in a million chance of finding. They actually increased the odds of fnding him.

I don't know how big town is, but I hope the police have looked at the type of bags used for him and reviewed purchase history at local stores for that item. And it won't just be bags. They had to have tape and rocks or something .

I also hope they went door to door to find out if anyone has house cameras or door bell cameras. If he was shot in the middle of the neighborhood , someone probably caught another car coming tomorrow from around that time!

“James John Kulstad II

On April 8, 2018, the La Jolla surf traded their most passionate surfer to shred the pipeline in Heaven. James is a Bakersfield native and attended West High School, Class of '98. His reason to live was for the future of his daughters and to surf (regardless of weather conditions). He moved to La Jolla in search of a dream and to hunt for the next best surf break. James was an entrepreneur who never stopped brainstorming to grow his dreams into reality.

Among his many designs, the two nearest and dearest to his heart were his Less Mess Bibs and his developed and patented product for the Action Sports Industry (Torch Skateboard Trucks). He also enjoyed pipeline welding in between his sick days (playing hooky to surf). All those who knew James appreciated his love for the water, golf, fashion and extraordinary culinary skills. James was always a sucker for table games and the desire of chance amongst the dazzling lights and excitement of Las Vegas; this is where he earned the name, "Joe Vegas."

His idea of success was measured by achievements and acceptance; never by wealth. He would never turn a shoulder to one less fortunate than himself. James has striking blue eyes, a heart of gold and a smile to last a lifetime. James was a caring and thoughtful soul and a role model to aspire to. In his last days, James labeled himself an Indigo Child. May he rest in paradise and live on in our hearts forever.

James was a beloved father, son, sibling and uncle who is survived by his daughters.”

Great tribute.

So, all this is really just thoughts put of my own head. It isn't any kind of researched information.

The reason, to me, "drive by" shooting is important is because micah was found dismembered. So one, they targeted and shot while he was driving. And one, they at some point cut up into pieces and dumped. So, we aren't looking at someone who uses the same way of killing. That, to me, is somewhat advanced. For there to be 3 in such a short timeframe, this suggests to me it has been done before or at least it is someone with a history of violence and rage.

As for where are the other body pieces, I'm going to guess more of the same. All in bags weighted down. Maybe all in different water, maybe some thrown in dumpsters. They were hoping there was no "body" to find. Unluckily for them, they basically changed it from 1 in a million chance of finding to 12 (or however many pieces) in a million chance of finding. They actually increased the odds of fnding him.

I don't know how bug town is, but I hope the police have looked at the type of bags used for him and reviewed purchase history at local stores for that item. And it won't just be bags. They had to have tape and rocks or something .

I also hope they went door to door to find out if anyone has house cameras or for bell cameras. If he was shot in the middle of the neighborhood , someone probably caught another car coming tomorrow from around that time!

Whether it was a drive by shooting or not who truly know's what happened that night maybe we should look the other way ambush or maybe he was sitting in a car in the neighborhood then approached then being shot and then trying to flee which might explain why he perhaps might of crashed into the trailer. I don't know the facts of the night but I explore the all the angles.

I don't know how big town is, but I hope the police have looked at the type of bags used for him and reviewed purchase history at local stores for that item. And it won't just be bags. They had to have tape and rocks or something .

I also hope they went door to door to find out if anyone has house cameras or door bell cameras. If he was shot in the middle of the neighborhood , someone probably caught another car coming tomorrow from around that time!

I would agree with the bag theory find out what kind, where it was made, was it sold in town, review receipts and security footage.

“Together, the mothers go through various emotions together.

"It's constantly there. Where is she? Whats happening to her? Is she trying to contact me? Does somebody have her? said Jane Parrent, Baylee's mother.

"How dare anyone take my family away from me. How dare they. What makes you more valuable than my son?" said Cheryl.

"I know where my son is. He's cremated, but I don't know where his friends are," said Diane.

Jane and Cheryl need to know what happened, even if it means learning their children are buried in shallow graves. "I will drive straight from here, I will go there and I will dig him up with my own hands," said Cheryl.

"I'm never gonna stop hanging flyers because that's the only thing I know how to do to find her. If I had a place to go look for her i'd go look for her, but I don't have a place to go look for her. The day she disappeared everything stopped," said Jane.”

The Bakersfield 3:The disappearances of Micah Holsonbake, Baylee Despot, and murder of James Kulstad

“James John Kulstad II

—-

From Oct.7:

Candlelight vigil honors 'Bakersfield 3'

“Bakersfield Police say 38-year-old James Kulstad was shot and killed in a Southwest Bakersfield neighborhood in a possible drive-by shooting.

Micah Holsonbake went missing in March and was last seen in March 2018, in the area of Flower Street and Mount Vernon Avenue in East Bakersfield.“

—-

From April 10:

Shooting victim identified as James Kulstad II

“Around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, BPD responded to call for a car crash on Cobble Mountain Road near Sandstone Lane. It is there officers found a man behind the wheel of a car suffering from a gunshot wound. BPD says he died from his injuries.

Although the investigation is still ongoing, BPD says they believe the man was driving though the area when he was shot at by another car. He then crashed into a parked car. BPD says the vehicle that fired the shots left the are before officers arrived.“

—-

“35-year-old Micah Holsonbake had been missing for a week when 38-year-old James Kulstad was gunned down in a quiet Southwest Bakersfield neighborhood on April 8. James was driving near Sandstone Lane and Mountain Ridge Road when someone fired into his vehicle.”

Snip

“If you have any information on the murder of James Kulstad or the disappearance of Micah Holsonbake, call BPD at 327-7111.

If you know the whereabouts of Baylee Despot call KCSO at 861-3110.You can always remain anonymous by calling secret witness at 322-4040. The mothers have also set up an email account for anyone who'd like to contact them, the account is kerncountyjustice@gmail.com

The mothers have also created a Facebook page called the Bakersfield 3: “

James was found in the street when he passed not in his car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley