GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assisted living doesn't mean nursing home some just go there for the security of having people closer to keep an eye on them and if a medical issue happens they have nurses to handle it. They are basically apartments in a retirement community. Owning a 3000 square foot house at that age is a lot of work too.

Yes I guess they were getting rid of a lot of stuff . I believe it was on 1 of the podcasts i'll try to find it some cold night.
Ok that's news to me Hockeyguy, I guess that would explain the immaculate house..........so you basically pay rent, it can get spendy, and then times 2.......hmmm

Here's 1 of the best articles on the murder that I have read so far and complete with coroners report. still trying to find the article where they were getting rid of stuff months before.
GONE COLD | A lake with no leads: Who killed the Dermonds?
Yes hockeyguy, a great, thorough article.
The fact that no foreign DNA was found is troubling. The perp(s) either knew what they were doing or they got incredibly lucky or it was someone who has been in the house and garage
before.

If not murdered at home, then where and how did they transport the bloody bodies? This doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps a rental car was used? I always thought they should have taken an inventory of vehicles returned to the airport on that Saturday or Sunday.
And checked them for blood.

It means no home maintenance too and thats the biggest for Independent living which is what the Dermonds were probably going for initially, later when they need some kind of assistance, assisted living and when incapacitated or ill, Nursing home or therapy nursing............stages some of my family have been thru, each level and location varies in cost, can get spendy

ok, this detective in the peterson case:

Robbers will come forward for very little money to rat someone out .......they tend to just flee

Can we then assume this case wasn't likely a robbery then? Because fleeing doesnt mean beheading, then again nothing is set in stone but

Also the children never offered a reward, remember somewhere in this forum I posted the donators of the reward money, mostly was the owner of great waters or something and a few thousand by Tex McIver and another large donator, the initial one , the FBI, total was only 30k or 50k? Cant recall

So if Scott Peterson had murdered his wife Laci...no amount of reward money was going to bring forth a narc/nark, lol, how do you spell that?

And no plea for his wife, no plea from family

and many other things

Assisted living doesn't mean nursing home some just go there for the security of having people closer to keep an eye on them and if a medical issue happens they have nurses to handle it. They are basically apartments in a retirement community. Owning a 3000 square foot house at that age is a lot of work too.

everything points to someone very close to family

DOes there have to be blood to transport a body

I mean I dont know what it takes to kill someone by hitting in the head, SD was clearly hit several times with something hard like a hammer as it was stated but how much blood did that have to be to knock out an 88 yr old?

I dont know, just asking adn there was blood in the garage so maybe any splatter of hers is mixed in

I dont think it would have to be a LOT of blood, Im sure if transported dead, she was in a tarp or something, if not led down to boat alive, wow, if she'd watched what happened to RD, there would be no worry for her fleeing or screaming, she may have passed out from the shock or atleast was just in shock and zoned out

If at night, no one would see her being carried to a boat most likely on the cove, i lived on the lake for 20 years, you dont pay attention to boaters, they can sneak up on your lot with trolling motors and you dont even know it til they are upon you

Horrible scene to imagine is all I know
Yes hockeyguy, a great, thorough article.
The fact that no foreign DNA was found is troubling. The perp(s) either knew what they were doing or they got incredibly lucky or it was someone who has been in the house and garage
before.

If not murdered at home, then where and how did they transport the bloody bodies? This doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps a rental car was used? I always thought they should have taken an inventory of vehicles returned to the airport on that Saturday or Sunday.
And checked them for blood.

everything points to someone very close to family

DOes there have to be blood to transport a body

I mean I dont know what it takes to kill someone by hitting in the head, SD was clearly hit several times with something hard like a hammer as it was stated but how much blood did that have to be to knock out an 88 yr old?

I dont know, just asking adn there was blood in the garage so maybe any splatter of hers is mixed in

I dont think it would have to be a LOT of blood, Im sure if transported dead, she was in a tarp or something, if not led down to boat alive, wow, if she'd watched what happened to RD, there would be no worry for her fleeing or screaming, she may have passed out from the shock or atleast was just in shock and zoned out

If at night, no one would see her being carried to a boat most likely on the cove, i lived on the lake for 20 years, you dont pay attention to boaters, they can sneak up on your lot with trolling motors and you dont even know it til they are upon you

Horrible scene to imagine is all I know

I agree. Things tend to point to someone in the family. But, I don't
think anyone in the family personally carried out this heinous crime. I do feel however, that someone in the family may have been a target of those who did this. The elderly Ds were collateral damage.

Assisted living is extremely expensive but in my experience people go for one of two reasons.

1.) No stairs

2.) Spouse passes away and no partner to look out after you.

Those are the reasons my grandfather went back in 1992. He passed away 3 years ago and would have been 101 years old this March. My father designed the assisted living facility in Nashville and my grandfather unit cost 72K a year.

It means no home maintenance too and thats the biggest for Independent living which is what the Dermonds were probably going for initially, later when they need some kind of assistance, assisted living and when incapacitated or ill, Nursing home or therapy nursing............stages some of my family have been thru, each level and location varies in cost, can get spendy

ok, this detective in the peterson case:

Robbers will come forward for very little money to rat someone out .......they tend to just flee

Can we then assume this case wasn't likely a robbery then? Because fleeing doesnt mean beheading, then again nothing is set in stone but

Also the children never offered a reward, remember somewhere in this forum I posted the donators of the reward money, mostly was the owner of great waters or something and a few thousand by Tex McIver and another large donator, the initial one , the FBI, total was only 30k or 50k? Cant recall

So if Scott Peterson had murdered his wife Laci...no amount of reward money was going to bring forth a narc/nark, lol, how do you spell that?

And no plea for his wife, no plea from family

and many other things

I believe they just mentioned the D's getting rid of a lot of thing in the months before their murder. I may have just thought if they were getting rid of things they might have been planning on moving and assisted living would be the logical next home. I still haven't found where I saw it but i'm looking

I'm leaning that way. The way everything worked out with no evidence left behind, the security camera being out, the alarm being off, and nothing stolen it had ro be someone close to them. The beheading also suggests rage and who would hate an elderly couple so much?
I read somewhere Mr D had gun powder on his shirt and detectives believe he was shot in the head and his head removed to get rid of that evidence (bullet).

My question would be then, what sort of gun was used that would lead back to a particular person?

A professional hit person shoots and goes. This was much too involved, IMO.

This is perplexing GONE COLD | A lake with no leads: Who killed the Dermonds?
"
Upon further inspection, Sills notices something peculiar about Russell’s finger.

His left index finger has a severe gash. Tangled within his wound’s blood, Sills finds strands of Shirley’s sandy blonde hair—giving him a clue into what may have happened during the struggle between him and his killer and his wife's assailant"

According to his autopsy report, that gash resulted in his joint being separated in his finger. I would assume he was trying to stave off the blows to his wife's head when he was hit.

Assisted living is extremely expensive but in my experience people go for one of two reasons.

1.) No stairs

2.) Spouse passes away and no partner to look out after you.

Those are the reasons my grandfather went back in 1992. He passed away 3 years ago and would have been 101 years old this March. My father designed the assisted living facility in Nashville and my grandfather unit cost 72K a year.
Wow, that's something, he had a full life! Yes so there are some that cost about 1k per month that i am aware of but the D's probably would have gone for a more high end location, my aunt's is 4k in Atlanta includes physical therapy, but is assisted living, not sure if independent living is same or less......they are basically just tenants there STS I would say....but for my aunt, that is 48k per year for one, costly enough IMO, but if the D's were to stay in one like your father, that would be about 140k per year, 5 years would be 700k plus whatever other costs they might have and at their stage in the game, they were looking like they'd live to be the age of your grandfather ......so 10 years for 2 over a million bucks 1.4 actually and that is just independent living, Assuming assisted or straight nursing home life is more expensive but IDK for sure.........so point is that is the money of the home, GONE......Their parents could have been around for quite some time ! Well they got their inheritance and atleast found the bodies if not the head, just need to find out who wanted them dead.

This is perplexing GONE COLD | A lake with no leads: Who killed the Dermonds?
"
Upon further inspection, Sills notices something peculiar about Russell’s finger.

His left index finger has a severe gash. Tangled within his wound’s blood, Sills finds strands of Shirley’s sandy blonde hair—giving him a clue into what may have happened during the struggle between him and his killer and his wife's assailant"

According to his autopsy report, that gash resulted in his joint being separated in his finger. I would assume he was trying to stave off the blows to his wife's head when he was hit.
What happened to the initial report that the kids told SS that his finger deformity was an old war wound??

Yes, I believe it was family or someone the family hired, JMO
May 15th or ealier, this article was updated on this date....The mother had not yet been found

“They were so devoted to each other,” KD said. “If there’s any saving grace to this, maybe it’s that they died together. I don’t think my mother could bear going on without my father.”

“There were plenty of things still in the house of value they could’ve taken,” Dermond said. “If they stole something, it was minor.”

Dermond said he believes his parents might have been targeted because of their location inside the exclusive community — on a cul de sac, with no next door neighbor.

ok, if something was stolen it was minor and he thinks they were targeted but the article also says it wasnt financially motivated........targeted for what and even a cult doesnt haul one off and dump in the lake

“The not knowing is horrible,” he said. (I would think the murder, beheading and kidnapped mother would be more horrible)

The Dermond children are resigned they’ll never see their parents again. A funeral for their father is on hold until their mother is found.

They are RESIGNED????? WTH, havent even found her yet......weird.......that was a smart move to wait to find the body of their mother that they didnt know they'd ever find or if she was even dead.........

Son of Eatonton couple: ‘The not knowing is horrible’

Besides Brad speaks to his father everyday yet no one made that call for a welfare check, WHY........we all know the killers or anyone affiliated cant be the ones to find the body...

Daughter didnt call either to discuss the KY Derby winner or affairs that she too always invovled in, still is, went to KY derby in KY last year, or was it this year? And she was the last one to visit with them 10 days before

Thursday was the last day Brad spoke to his father, Friday possibly murdered, was that the farewell call

no one made a plea to help find their mother or to anyone that might have seen something, until 4 years later .......who waits 4 years??

oh so much more

Wow, that's something, he had a full life! Yes so there are some that cost about 1k per month that i am aware of but the D's probably would have gone for a more high end location, my aunt's is 4k in Atlanta includes physical therapy, but is assisted living, not sure if independent living is same or less......they are basically just tenants there STS I would say....but for my aunt, that is 48k per year for one, costly enough IMO, but if the D's were to stay in one like your father, that would be about 140k per year, 5 years would be 700k plus whatever other costs they might have and at their stage in the game, they were looking like they'd live to be the age of your grandfather ......so 10 years for 2 over a million bucks 1.4 actually and that is just independent living, Assuming assisted or straight nursing home life is more expensive but IDK for sure.........so point is that is the money of the home, GONE......Their parents could have been around for quite some time ! Well they got their inheritance and atleast found the bodies if not the head, just need to find out who wanted them dead.

After reading your experiences with assisted living, and the high costs that come with it, made me think of a possible motive for the murders. If Russell and Shirley were preparing to move to assisted living, they could have used up the family inheritance, assuming they lived a long time.

IMHO

May 15th or ealier, this article was updated on this date....The mother had not yet been found

“They were so devoted to each other,” KD said. “If there’s any saving grace to this, maybe it’s that they died together. I don’t think my mother could bear going on without my father.”

“There were plenty of things still in the house of value they could’ve taken,” Dermond said. “If they stole something, it was minor.”

Dermond said he believes his parents might have been targeted because of their location inside the exclusive community — on a cul de sac, with no next door neighbor.

ok, if something was stolen it was minor and he thinks they were targeted but the article also says it wasnt financially motivated........targeted for what and even a cult doesnt haul one off and dump in the lake

“The not knowing is horrible,” he said. (I would think the murder, beheading and kidnapped mother would be more horrible)

The Dermond children are resigned they’ll never see their parents again. A funeral for their father is on hold until their mother is found.

They are RESIGNED????? WTH, havent even found her yet......weird.......that was a smart move to wait to find the body of their mother that they didnt know they'd ever find or if she was even dead.........

Besides Brad speaks to his father everyday yet no one made that call for a welfare check, WHY........we all know the killers or anyone affiliated cant be the ones to find the body...

Daughter didnt call either to discuss the KY Derby winner or affairs that she too always invovled in, still is, went to KY derby in KY last year, or was it this year? And she was the last one to visit with them 10 days before

Thursday was the last day Brad spoke to his father, Friday possibly murdered, was that the farewell call

no one made a plea to help find their mother or to anyone that might have seen something, until 4 years later .......who waits 4 years??

oh so much more

Actions speak louder than words. It didn’t sound like there was much devotion to the parents, of late. Perhaps it was different in the past.

IMHO

I had never thought of it from that angle but that a lot of money and could’ve been a lot of the kids inheritance. My grandfather was the best guy I’ve ever met. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge. He then became a successful businessman, had my father and uncle and then my grandmother passed away in 1991.

Papa decided to “date” again at 92 years old. If something had happened to him the way the Dermonds were taken out it would take multiple Sicaro’s from the Cartel to keep my mouth shut.

That’s perplexing and all that money could be a motive. These independent living facilities are top notch. Hospital next door via covered walkway. Indoor Pool, Library, Exercise Room, Billards, Card Room, Salon, Ice Scream shop.

His unit was on the top floor closest to the elevator but was big. Close to 4000 square feet. Anyway that certainly could be motive imo.

oh so much more
What about their dead son's family? Was he married?? Did he have a child/children?

What about their dead son's family? Was he married?? Did he have a child/children?

The Dermonds had a son, who was killed, some years ago. I don’t believe he was married, but there was some speculation as to whether he had any children. I can’t remember, maybe another member has a better memory.

IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members