Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the WS forum - but have been following along with interest. I agree with your post and also profiler James Wright's assessment that one of the suspects was known by one of the women. My opinion - it was Mrs. Levitt (also suggested to be the target) that was familiar with one of the suspects. If unknowingly the girls had interrupted the crime in progress and unwittingly and calmly proceeded to get ready for bed - and hadn't encountered the suspects - and Mrs. Levitt couldn't ID - wouldn't the usual type random crime suspects flee given the opportunity? But since Mrs. Levitt could ID the "familiar" one - fleeing wasn't an option and forced the crime to escalate in order to remedy the dilemma.

I also agree with you that the initial encounter with Mrs. Levitt was planned - and that the "familiar" one was in the dark regarding the purpose.

Regards,

BK2

Welcome to Websleuths, Bookkeeper. I was wondering if you’d show up here. I think you are on the right track with your thinking, but let me tell you where I believe you are wrong.

If it was someone Sherrill knew, I think he would most likely have been alone. I have read before that Sherrill was a very “security minded” person. The police website has the last known contact with her as a phone call with a friend at 11:15pm so it is safe to say it would have taken place after then. I highly doubt Sherrill would have allowed any strange men into her house after 11 pm no matter if they were with someone she knew or not.

If someone knocked on her door any time between say midnight and 2am, do you really believe there is any chance Sherrill would have let them in? Or even have answered the door? I don’t.

If Sherrill was the target of some plot or a planned out event by someone she knew, and they were let into the house before midnight, they would have been able to subdue her and leave well before Suzie and Stacey arrived home a couple of hours later. I seriously doubt they’d hang out and wait for a couple of hours and risk being caught even if they wanted to get Suzie also. After all, it was graduation night and Suzie was supposed to be spending the night at a hotel in Branson.

However, if it was just one man whom she considered to be a “friend” that came by before midnight I can see her letting him in, but still most likely hesitantly.

If it was one or two people really late at night I believe they wouldn’t have to have been “familiar” or known to Sherrill at all and could have found a different way in. Possibly an unlocked door or open window due to the earlier furniture varnishing she was doing. They would easily have been able to hide and keep her subdued and quiet in her room after being interrupted when the girls arrived unplanned and got ready for bed.

Welcome to Websleuths, Bookkeeper. I was wondering if you’d show up here. I think you are on the right track with your thinking, but let me tell you where I believe you are wrong.

If it was someone Sherrill knew, I think he would most likely have been alone. I have read before that Sherrill was a very “security minded” person. The police website has the last known contact with her as a phone call with a friend at 11:15pm so it is safe to say it would have taken place after then. I highly doubt Sherrill would have allowed any strange men into her house after 11 pm no matter if they were with someone she knew or not.

If someone knocked on her door any time between say midnight and 2am, do you really believe there is any chance Sherrill would have let them in? Or even have answered the door? I don’t.

If Sherrill was the target of some plot or a planned out event by someone she knew, and they were let into the house before midnight, they would have been able to subdue her and leave well before Suzie and Stacey arrived home a couple of hours later. I seriously doubt they’d hang out and wait for a couple of hours and risk being caught even if they wanted to get Suzie also. After all, it was graduation night and Suzie was supposed to be spending the night at a hotel in Branson.

However, if it was just one man whom she considered to be a “friend” that came by before midnight I can see her letting him in, but still most likely hesitantly.

If it was one or two people really late at night I believe they wouldn’t have to have been “familiar” or known to Sherrill at all and could have found a different way in. Possibly an unlocked door or open window due to the earlier furniture varnishing she was doing. They would easily have been able to hide and keep her subdued and quiet in her room after being interrupted when the girls arrived unplanned and got ready for bed.

Welcome to Websleuths, Bookkeeper. Thank you for your civility – much appreciated. I was wondering if you’d show up here. You were? Why? I think you are on the right track with your thinking, but let me tell you where I believe you are wrong. I can understand that - however, please see my rebuttal notations.

If it was someone Sherrill knew, I think he would most likely have been alone. No offense intended, however my bet is on renowned profiler James Wright assessing more than one – with one familiar. I have read before that Sherrill was a very “security minded” person. The police website has the last known contact with her as a phone call with a friend at 11:15pm so it is safe to say it would have taken place after then. I highly doubt Sherrill would have allowed any strange men into her house after 11 pm no matter if they were with someone she knew or not. Not two standing side by side at front door – only the familiar one.

If someone knocked on her door any time between say midnight and 2am, do you really believe there is any chance Sherrill would have let them in? Not two with one unknown. One at the door - the familiar one - using a ruse. So, yes. Or even have answered the door? I don’t. I do. Knowing Suzanne was out and about - parents with daughters especially worry – Mrs. Levitt would have answered the door under certain circumstances.

If Sherrill was the target of some plot or a planned out event by someone she knew, and they were let into the house before midnight, they would have been able to subdue her and leave well before Suzie and Stacey arrived home a couple of hours later. Although most burglaries occur during the day to avoid an encounter with occupant(s) – nite time break-ins etc. occur between 2-4 am - when occupants are thought to be deep asleep. I seriously doubt they’d hang out and wait for a couple of hours and risk being caught even if they wanted to get Suzie also. 12 – 2? Timing? After all, it was graduation night and Suzie was supposed to be spending the night at a hotel in Branson. Correct – the suspects (the familiar one) may have thought they had all the time needed – why that particular nite?

However, if it was just one man whom she considered to be a “friend” that came by before midnight I can see her letting him in, but still most likely hesitantly. Not one. Profiler – more than one.

If it was one or two people really late at night I believe they wouldn’t have to have been “familiar” or known to Sherrill at all (I’ll bet on profiler - one was known) and could have found a different way in. Possibly an unlocked door or open window due to the earlier furniture varnishing she was doing. They would easily have been able to hide and keep her subdued and quiet in her room after being interrupted when the girls arrived unplanned and got ready for bed. And run? Why didn’t they? Why did they escalate the crime into a triple abduction/homicide when they could have very easily fled? Because Mrs. Levitt would have ID’d. Serious jail time - possibly strike 3?
With two or more - with one as a sentry/lookout – there was ample notice and opportunity - window(s) open – at least one would have heard the sound of two cars pulling in very near to the house, lights shining thru front windows, car doors slamming, girls entering Delmar – run. Or they could have hid and escaped after the girls got ready and/or went to bed. But they didn't - they stayed. I believe at that point in time fleeing wasn’t an option. They needed time to plan their next move and so let the girls prepare for and/or go to bed.

It's highly unlikely that some perpetrators could have been hiding in that tiny little house while the girls were getting ready for bed. Not to mention that two girls who had been out partying all night would most likely of awoken Sherrel if she wasnt all ready awake. Infact, Sherrel probably would of had to open the door to let the girls in the house.

Hi Everyone! I've been reading/lurking here for years and have followed all the various theories with interest as I was roughly the same age and lived in MO. With little evidence to go on it seems the discussion, unfortunately, becomes a game of probabilities, but anything can happen in this world. That being said, I happened to read of an interesting coincidence. Nigel Kennedy was Suzie's best friend. Nigel's uncle, Walt, was also married to Cheryl Ann Kenney who's missing person case from 1991 has never been solved (along with Angela Hammond). What are the chances of that, someone losing both an Aunt (I believe it was a step-aunt, but nonetheless) and then her best friend, her best friend's Mom and another friend/classmate via unresolved disappearance? Bound to be some pretty steep odds.

Now I'm not saying Nigel was aware of anyone threatening, but maybe some connection/acquaintance involved on one side was unwittingly introduced to the other?

It's highly unlikely that some perpetrators could have been hiding in that tiny little house while the girls were getting ready for bed. Not to mention that two girls who had been out partying all night would most likely of awoken Sherrel if she wasnt all ready awake. Infact, Sherrel probably would of had to open the door to let the girls in the house.
We know that Sherrill made a phone call at 11:15. We know that it looked like her bed was slept in. We know the girls were in the house and began the process of undressing. We know there was a small dog in the house who would almost certainly have barked when the girls came home--and what security-minded single mother sleeps through the sounds of a kiddo coming home unexpectedly at night? I don't recall if Suzie had a key but it seems likely that either she had one or woke up her mother because we know the girls got in the house.

The whole "the intruder was already in the house" I think is aimed to support the idea that there was some motive to attack Sherrill--that she was the target and grad night was an opportunity. But the girls would almost certainly have noticed a vehicle in the driveway. After all, some vehicle was needed to get the 3 women out of there. An attacker would probably not have walked. No passerby in the middle of the night would have taken any notice of the kind of cars in the driveway. They were new in the neighborhood. But Suzie would have noticed. And it seems out of character for Sherrill to have had a booty call when she was varnishing furniture late at night. Certainly one or more of the 3 might have been acquainted with the intruder(s).

Hi Everyone! I've been reading/lurking here for years and have followed all the various theories with interest as I was roughly the same age and lived in MO. With little evidence to go on it seems the discussion, unfortunately, becomes a game of probabilities, but anything can happen in this world. That being said, I happened to read of an interesting coincidence. Nigel Kennedy was Suzie's best friend. Nigel's uncle, Walt, was also married to Cheryl Ann Kenney who's missing person case from 1991 has never been solved (along with Angela Hammond). What are the chances of that, someone losing both an Aunt (I believe it was a step-aunt, but nonetheless) and then her best friend, her best friend's Mom and another friend/classmate via unresolved disappearance? Bound to be some pretty steep odds.

Now I'm not saying Nigel was aware of anyone threatening, but maybe some connection/acquaintance involved on one side was unwittingly introduced to the other?
You used two different spellings. Could you clarify whether it's Kennedy or Kenney? Is Walt a suspect in his wife's disappearance?

I was wondering if you’d show up here. You were? Why?
Well, you kinda bashed Websleuths while on the other page.

No offense intended, however my bet is on renowned profiler James Wright assessing more than one – with one familiar.
No offense taken. James Wright is certainly more experienced at profiling than I am. I can understand your thinking, even though I disagree.

Knowing Suzanne was out and about - parents with daughters especially worry – Mrs. Levitt would have answered the door under certain circumstances.
That late at night, I think it would have to be a very well known and trusted individual for Sherrill to open the door. Like a very good friend or perhaps even a very good friends husband.

why that particular nite?
If it was someone known to Sherrill, they probably had prior knowledge she was going to be alone all night. Perhaps a client or close friend she talked to shortly before that night.

And run? Why didn’t they? Why did they escalate the crime into a triple abduction/homicide when they could have very easily fled? Because Mrs. Levitt would have ID’d. Serious jail time - possibly strike 3?
With two or more - with one as a sentry/lookout – there was ample notice and opportunity - window(s) open – at least one would have heard the sound of two cars pulling in very near to the house, lights shining thru front windows, car doors slamming, girls entering Delmar – run. Or they could have hid and escaped after the girls got ready and/or went to bed. But they didn't - they stayed. I believe at that point in time fleeing wasn’t an option. They needed time to plan their next move and so let the girls prepare for and/or go to bed.

I agree with your thinking here. If this is the case I would think it involved 3 people with a past criminal history. Perhaps with a history of violence or sexual assault. For instance: 3 people fresh out of prison and already on the radar of LE with no desire to leave any witnesses behind that could pick them out of a lineup or identify them by their mugshots and send them right back.

Well that’s certainly an interesting connection. Has it ever been followed up on?

I was wondering if you’d show up here. You were? Why?
Well, you kinda bashed Websleuths while on the other page.

No offense intended, however my bet is on renowned profiler James Wright assessing more than one – with one familiar.
No offense taken. James Wright is certainly more experienced at profiling than I am. I can understand your thinking, even though I disagree.

Knowing Suzanne was out and about - parents with daughters especially worry – Mrs. Levitt would have answered the door under certain circumstances.
That late at night, I think it would have to be a very well known and trusted individual for Sherrill to open the door. Like a very good friend or perhaps even a very good friends husband.

why that particular nite?
If it was someone known to Sherrill, they probably had prior knowledge she was going to be alone all night. Perhaps a client or close friend she talked to shortly before that night.

And run? Why didn’t they? Why did they escalate the crime into a triple abduction/homicide when they could have very easily fled? Because Mrs. Levitt would have ID’d. Serious jail time - possibly strike 3?

I agree with your thinking here. If this is the case I would think it involved 3 people with a past criminal history. Perhaps with a history of violence or sexual assault. For instance: 3 people fresh out of prison and already on the radar of LE with no desire to leave any witnesses behind that could pick them out of a lineup or identify them by their mugshots and send them right back.

To refresh your memory - I posted information gleaned from WS on the other forum and it was Olddog – in his usual and inaccurate fashion - and for whatever his reason - attempting to attack me for being a WS forum member? Which clearly wasn't the case - since I only posted here for the first time yesterday. He then continued on to bash WS with HIS derogatory twist on the name. Sound familiar? Certainly, your untruthful statement that I "kinda" bashed WS was unintentional and not an apparent agenda.

To refresh your memory - I posted information gleaned from WS on the other forum and it was Olddog – in his usual and inaccurate fashion - and for whatever his reason - attempting to attack me for being a WS forum member? Which clearly wasn't the case - since I only posted here for the first time yesterday. He then continued on to bash WS with HIS derogatory twist on the name. Sound familiar? Certainly, your untruthful statement that I "kinda" bashed WS was unintentional and not an apparent agenda.
How about anything from a past website gets put aside? Cheers, to new beginnings!

You used two different spellings. Could you clarify whether it's Kennedy or Kenney? Is Walt a suspect in his wife's disappearance?
My apologies - both should have been "Kenney." You can confirm this on Nigel's FB page as her maiden name is listed in parentheses on her profile.

Well that’s certainly an interesting connection. Has it ever been followed up on?
Very hard to say. There are a couple of threads here on WS re: the Cheryl Kenney case and there definitely are some negative comments around LE and some curiosities involving her husband. Her son is on here, as well. But even if there's nothing concrete there it sure strikes me as an odd coincidence that Nigel would have family/friends involved in two, separate, unsolved disappearances. Again, casting no aspersions her way - just that there may be a common thread amongst the cases.

Last edited:

I remember that, Olddogs comments along with a couple others. I also remember yours and they were not very positive. New page new start though so welcome.

This didn’t happen 26 years ago. My memory is still pretty good regarding the content of your recent posts. But hey, the past is the past and that website is gone. I’m certainly not the one to criticize anybody about their past statements.
New year, new site, new beginnings and all that. Welcome.

I remember that, Olddogs comments along with a couple others. I also remember yours and they were not very positive. New page new start though so welcome.

Obviously, it's not new beginnings. Since your post demonstrates that like your husband - you've attempted to again bring the baggage and discrediting to this forum. As expected - SOP - joining him in the sandbox to kick sand when others don't follow his or your collective lead. Now that you've opened the subject for discussion - let's be clear that my "not very positive" comments on the other forum were not about the WS site or WS forum - it was about you and your husband misrepresenting yourselves and pushing your false agenda on WS.

Very hard to say. There are a couple of threads here on WS re: the Cheryl Kenney case and there definitely are some negative comments around LE and some curiosities involving her husband. Her son is on here, as well. But even if there's nothing concrete there it sure strikes me as an odd coincidence that Nigel would have family/friends involved in two, separate, unsolved disappearances. Again, casting no aspersions her way - just that there may be a common thread amongst the cases.
For the sake of argument, let's say that someone in Nigel's friends/family possibly had a hand in either case. As Nigel was graduating, too, it's possible this person(s) was in Springfield attending the graduation. That doesn't guarantee they crossed path with any of our "Three," either at the ceremony or later at a party, but there is a possibility.

For the sake of argument, let's say that someone in Nigel's friends/family possibly had a hand in either case. As Nigel was graduating, too, it's possible this person(s) was in Springfield attending the graduation. That doesn't guarantee they crossed path with any of our "Three," either at the ceremony or later at a party, but there is a possibility.
I don't think these cases are related even remotely. I have researched extensively on this case and quite a bit on that one as well. The odds are a lot higher than you think too. The Ozarks aren't that big. Many connected to many.

I find the Kenney case to be a lot closer to home (family member/Nevada MO resident/frequenter), where the Springfield Three case is convoluted with a lot of moving parts.

Good observation of Nigel being connected to two missing person cases.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that the couple that dumped the stolen van at the campground in Indiana, might have something to do with this case.

Also if this was a random person he didn’t even need to take all 3 which carried a even greater risk than taking 1 and could of tied them up and left them to be found hours later.

MOO

Good point.....why take all 3? unless,,,,,, all 3 knew the perpetrator(s)......long shot....who would all 3 have known?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla