Found Deceased SD - Alicia Hummel, 29, found near boat ramp, Myron Grove / Meckling, 1 Jun 2015

margarita25

Reaction score
Friends and family seek answers in murder of Iowa woman Alicia Hummel
JUN 25 2018

34268712_1024342997714168_1140860059618639872_n_4d21825db3b6850d95aa0a4a3686fd52.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

“Clay County Sheriff Andy Howe told Dateline police believe Alicia was indeed fishing alone that day. He added that around 2:20 that afternoon, a state park employee at Myron Grove, who was cleaning the area, found a body at the edge of the Missouri River near a dock. It was Alicia. She was only 29 years old. Sheriff Howe told Dateline the employee immediately reported the discovery to police.

Alicia had suffered neck wounds and blunt force trauma to the head. Sheriff Howe said an autopsy concluded the actual cause of death was drowning. Alicia’s death has been ruled a homicide by the Clay County Sheriff’s Department, Sheriff Howe told Dateline.“

—-

One year after Hummel's death, friends, police still seek answers

574e31822eaa5.image.jpg

(See additional photos at link, including boat ramp, etc.)

“It's been one year ago today since Hummel's body was found in the Missouri River near the shore at a boat dock at Myron Grove, also known as the Highline Area, about seven miles west of Vermillion, South Dakota.

An autopsy showed that Hummel, 29, died of drowning, with contributing circumstances of blunt-force head injuries and an incised wound on her neck. Toxicology reports were negative for alcohol and controlled substances.

There have been no arrests.“

—-

South Dakota authorities seek answers in unsolved 2015 death
June 8, 2018

“Hummel is thought to have been killed sometime between 1 and 3 p.m.“

Snip

“A state Game, Fish and Parks employee who was cleaning up the area found her body around 3:30 p.m. at the edge of the water by the boat ramp at Myron Grove, also known as the Highline Area, about seven miles west of Vermillion.“

——

(I have flagged a moderator to please correct the location in the thread title, thanks in advance.)

Last edited:
@margarita25
i am not sure what to correct? She went missing in Sioux City, Iowa, and yes, she was found in South Dacota. But the titles are related to the missing, so it looks fine for me (we are not changing them after found somewhere else etc)

@margarita25
i am not sure what to correct? She went missing in Sioux City, Iowa, and yes, she was found in South Dacota. But the titles are related to the missing, so it looks fine for me (we are not changing them after found somewhere else etc)

(Ok thank you Darling136. I got confused there for a second.)

As pointed out on the Abbie and Libby forum, there are definite similarities between her case and Delphi. I hope someone in LE has looked into this.

(Thanks to the keen eyes and minds who mentioned Alicia’s case in Abby’s and Libby’s thread. It’s because of this I learned about her case and was able to create a thread.)

Bringing this over from Abby’s and Libby's Thread:

The incised neck wound.

She also has quite a bit of geocaching photos on her Pinterest page. She seemed to love the outdoors.

I'm wondering about the same thing, a few buildings near the boat ramp, otherwise a isolated area. A young women enjoying fishing alone. The killer is a outdoorsman who preys on young women alone. He's going out of his way looking for women alone. The sheriff dept. isn't releasing certain information to the public.

A 10 to 11 hour drive from Myron Grove, South Dakota to Delphi, Indiana. This murder of Alicia Hummel
happened MondayJune 1, 2015.

You know what's smack in the middle of the route from Myron Grove to Delphi? Waterloo, Iowa, where Lizzy and Lyric were murdered.

I get such a cold feeling and a feeling of connection.

the victim profile
the similarity in the events and landscape
the similarity with lone females in rural or nature park like settings
the complete inexplicable motive or reason
zero suspects.

such a cold feeling. mOO

I don't see enough similarities with the Alicia Hummel case, but I've always been bothered by the Collins/Cook murders as a connected case. The investigators in Delphi seem to ALMOST dismiss it, but not outright rule it out. Lizzy and Lyric were found so much later that very little was apparently learned due to the advanced state of decomposition. I don't think LE has enough to say one or another about a connection. With all the missing in the country if this is the same killer there could be other cases that no one has made a connection to at this point. With his face and voice all over the country, he has probably gone quiet and considering another area hundreds of miles away.

Then again, I'm not 100% convinced this is a serial KILLER, but someone with a history of violence and sexual assaults and this may be his first kill. IOW, a serial offender, but not necessarily a serial killer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is someone who has never been convicted, but those who know him have stories to tell.

This is creepy!
Lizzy Collins and Lyric Cook murdered Friday July 13, 2012 Evansdale, Iowa.
Alicia Hummel murdered Monday June 1, 2015 Myron Grove, South Dakota.
Liberty German and Abby Williams murdered Monday Feb. 13, 2017 Delphi, Indiana

Lizzy and Lyric's bikes were found on a isolated Evansdale Nature Trail near Meyers Lake.
Hunters found the girls bodies Dec. 5 2012, 25 miles away in a extremely remote area of
Seven Bridges Wild Life Park.
Driving time from Evansdale, Iowa to Myron Grove, South Dakota is 4 hrs and 10 mins.

Alicia Hummel was found in a isolated area near a boat dock.
Driving time from Myron Grove, South Dakota to Delphi, Indiana is 10 hrs and 9 mins

Liberty German and Abby Williams found outside of Delphi near the Monon High Bridge Trail,
50ft from the north bank of Deer Creek.

Similarities to each case,
All victims killed on a friday or monday,
He works 10 hour days, Friday thru Monday off.
Finds his victims in isolated areas, providing outdoor recreation and close to bodies of water.
Females between 8 years old to 29 years old.

A serial killer, above- average intelligence, organized, skill employment, doesn't display strange behavior
around people. I wonder is he's married and tells his wife he's going hunting or fishing over a long weekend.

Last edited:
I really don’t see the connection between the cases mentioned above. The murders took place with several years between them, the victims were of different ages, and the distances between the murders were large. The only thin that is in common is that the victims are female and that the murders took place in rural/nature areas. I am sure there are a lot of tragedies that fulfill these conditions.

I beg to differ, a killer can operate for years on end, i don't think unsolved cases should ever cease to be looked at and compared to other crimes, there is so much to be learned.

it's another kind of thing where you can't find the dissimilarities either so you have to consider the possibilities.. even if the ages are different. mOO

Last edited:
Margarita 25 thank you for starting this thread for Alicia Hummel.
The autopsy report concluded drowning with blunt force trauma to the head and incision wound on the neck.
She was in the middle of a divorce, LE has ruled out her husband as a suspect early on.

June of 2018 Seattle Times article " South Dakota authorities seek answers in unsolved 2015 death"
one interesting comment; she had mentioned in a few messages that there were others around, but its
not known for sure she went fishing herself, that June 2015 day, Hummel good friend, Bethany Svacina, said.

I really don’t see the connection between the cases mentioned above. The murders took place with several years between them, the victims were of different ages, and the distances between the murders were large. The only thin that is in common is that the victims are female and that the murders took place in rural/nature areas. I am sure there are a lot of tragedies that fulfill these conditions.
I remember Ted Buddy, his victims were of different ages and different states and years apart.
In 1975 Ted Buddy abducted and killed girls in Vail, Co., Snowmass, Co. and Grand Junction, Co. He knew how to fit in with the local skiing community. That same year 1975, a girlfriend and I stayed in Vail, Colo. skiing, ice skating and enjoyed meeting friends.. We never felt unsafe. Just two girls have a great time.

exactly.

Bundy got around, and nothing intimidated him. He was stealth. IK also remarked that he couldn't always get what he wanted, so sometimes would settle.

actually now that i think about it, multiple victims in a single sexual assault , murder scenario, isn't completely unusual either.

mOO

There are not as many murders in nature areas as you would think. Body dumps, yes. Murders in the nature area where the body is left near the water, not nearly as common. Yes, still many of them, and yes, quite likely to be unrelated, but still odd.

So it sounds like they have eliminated people close to her as suspects, so this was likely a stranger? I am interested too in the fact that she said other people were there. I wonder if anyone has come forward to LE saying they were there around that time on that day and remember seeing her specifically.

this is what i mean...once you realize it's likely a stranger murder , it changes the whole stage.

it's a person who is just out there. whether it was a spur of the moment attack , or a long planned and premeditated serial killing , it's a person who is out there and perhaps he is moving around , or he drives that straight shot truck route, and he likes to find places to pull off and just kind of wait and see..maybe he does it weekly, patiently waiting for his moment or maybe he is always watching, waiting and looking.

but once you start looking at a stranger, you have to ask...one guy? one guy did all this?

or a stranger in every corner everywhere?

i wish there was a way we could know.

mOO

So it sounds like they have eliminated people close to her as suspects, so this was likely a stranger? I am interested too in the fact that she said other people were there. I wonder if anyone has come forward to LE saying they were there around that time on that day and remember seeing her specifically.
Not one person has come forward to say they were at Myron Grove that day, and Howe is still puzzled as to how nobody would have been there that day, as Myron Grove is a relatively busy area for locals.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.argusleader.com/amp/659367002
It’s a long article but may give you some perspective.

Thinking about Alicia and trying to find out more info about her case.

In this article below, it mentions that she asked a few friends to accompany her and none of them could go. It also says "Clay County (SD) Sheriff Andy Howe said other names that came up also have been cleared." I wonder who the "other names" are? Have the friends mentioned above been cleared? (The article does not list names for the friends, by the way). I'm just trying to think of people who would know she would be there. Otherwise, it looks like a totally random/opportunity crime which is going to be really hard to solve IMO.

Alicia Marie Hummel | Iowa Cold Cases

Thinking about Alicia and trying to find out more info about her case.

In this article below, it mentions that she asked a few friends to accompany her and none of them could go. It also says "Clay County (SD) Sheriff Andy Howe said other names that came up also have been cleared." I wonder who the "other names" are? Have the friends mentioned above been cleared? (The article does not list names for the friends, by the way). I'm just trying to think of people who would know she would be there. Otherwise, it looks like a totally random/opportunity crime which is going to be really hard to solve IMO.

Alicia Marie Hummel | Iowa Cold Cases

Thanks for the link.

From above:

upload_2019-2-1_19-23-47.jpeg

Alicia Hummel (Courtesy Sioux City Journal)

Alicia Marie Hummel
Homicide
Alicia Marie Hummel
29 YOA
Home Residence: Sioux City, Iowa
Body Found: Myron Grove, South Dakota
Clay County, South Dakota
Date: June 1, 2015

—-

“The boat ramp at the Myron Grove access at the Missouri River southwest of Meckling, South Dakota, is shown Tuesday, May 31, 2016. The body of Alicia Hummel, 29, of Sioux City, was discovered near the boat ramp May 31, 2015, and there have been no arrests.
A state boat ramp attendant made the discovery around 3 p.m. Monday, and authorities are investigating Alicia’s death as a homicide.”

The above says person who made the discovery was a state boat ramp attendant. Below quote from post 1 describes it as follows:

““A state Game, Fish and Parks employee who was cleaning up the area found her body around 3:30 p.m. at the edge of the water by the boat ramp at Myron Grove, also known as the Highline Area, about seven miles west of Vermillion.“”

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10