UK - Adam Rickwood, 14: "I can't last much longer"

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
The youngest child to die in British custody wrote a heart-breaking letter to his parents threatening to kill himself two weeks before his death.

Adam Rickwood was 14 when he was found by staff at a juvenile detention centre hanged by his shoe laces from a curtain pole.
The vulnerable teenager, who had a history of self-harming and was a regular cannabis user, had tried to take his life on a number of previous occasions.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...+prison+'suicide'+boy+wrote+to+mum/article.do

I honestly believe drugs have played a large part in this boy's history of self-harming. :(

I wonder if he was claustrophobic (undiagnosed) and his being locked up caused him to wig out?

His mother is very manly looking.

Er, yes. i noticed that too.

he could well have been claustrophobic. i do think he should have been kept an eye on more carefully.

The youngest child to die in British custody wrote a heart-breaking letter to his parents threatening to kill himself two weeks before his death.

Adam Rickwood was 14 when he was found by staff at a juvenile detention centre hanged by his shoe laces from a curtain pole.
The vulnerable teenager, who had a history of self-harming and was a regular cannabis user, had tried to take his life on a number of previous occasions.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...+prison+'suicide'+boy+wrote+to+mum/article.do

I honestly believe drugs have played a large part in this boy's history of self-harming. :(

Pot doesn't make you suicidal. Have you tried it?

Pot is generally a way to self medicate when you are have mental health issues. Obviously plenty use it just for recreation but just like alcohol pot is abused too.

Pot is generally a way to self medicate when you are have mental health issues. Obviously plenty use it just for recreation but just like alcohol pot is abused too.

So is eating.

How sad.. he was so young... way to young actually... and yes, his mom looks like a man... I thought it was before I read the caption...

In the article, his Mom said he started to spiral downwards after the death of grandparents. I think his pot-smoking was a coping mechanism he used to handle his issues - I don't think it WAS the issue.

So sad - my prayers to his family.

I deleted my previous post, I should not have snickered at the remark, it was insensitive of me.

My sympathies to the family also.

How very sad. This little boy must have just felt helpless.

I think they have the wrong photo, as if this is really a female she is also dressed like a man, in a dress shirt with tie. Odd, but I doubt it has anything to do with the case.

Scandi

How very sad. This little boy must have just felt helpless.

I think they have the wrong photo, as if this is really a female she is also dressed like a man, in a dress shirt with tie. Odd, but I doubt it has anything to do with the case.

Scandi
I just googled her name and found a family photo. That is his mom.

I just ran across this article at Fox about marijuana:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269340,00.html
Doctors: Pot triggers psychotic symptoms

(excerpt)
Doctors at Yale University in the U.S. tested the impact of THC on 150 healthy volunteers and 13 people with stable schizophrenia. Nearly half of the healthy subjects experienced psychotic symptoms when given the drug.
While the doctors expected to see marijuana improve the conditions of their schizophrenic subjects — since their patients reported that the drug calmed them — they found that the reverse was true. (more at link)

I just ran across this article at Fox about marijuana:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269340,00.html
Doctors: Pot triggers psychotic symptoms

(excerpt)
Doctors at Yale University in the U.S. tested the impact of THC on 150 healthy volunteers and 13 people with stable schizophrenia. Nearly half of the healthy subjects experienced psychotic symptoms when given the drug.
While the doctors expected to see marijuana improve the conditions of their schizophrenic subjects — since their patients reported that the drug calmed them — they found that the reverse was true. (more at link)

Interesting article. The article says the "psychotic symptoms" marijuana can induce are paranoia and hallucinations.

Pot can definitely make you paranoid and have hallucinations. In someone with a normal brain chemistry, a little paranoia and minor visual disturbances are actually kind of funny and enjoyable. But to someone with schizophrenia, I'm sure these side effects are more severe and dangerous from a mental health standpoint.

I don't think the mom is all that manly looking but just has a very angular face. She's got a nice hairstyle and wearing big hoop earrings. Also, I noticed that the boy was restrained "using" a tweak on the nose. The poor boy needed help and probably medication instead of being locked up.

Poor little guy. He must have suffered horrible depression. The articles says that he tried to commit suicide several times.

Peace to his family.

sad for this boy.

reading the article, several things struck me.

the boy was suicidal before he was incarcerated.
Quote: 'taken seven overdoses between November 2001 and October 2003" and "sent to Hassockfield on July 10, 2004,"

this was disturbing.
Quote: 'taking my own or someone else's life but either way it will happen, believe me. I can't stay."

this happened nearly 3 years ago. is the mama trying to sue? looks that way to me.

ETA i found this not so much heartrending, but more manipulative. still, sad..

Pot doesn't make you suicidal. Have you tried it?

Yes i have. often. no it doesn't make you suicidal. in most cases.

i suppose i should have homed in on this paragraph:

Mrs Pounder, 38, told the inquest at Chester-le-Street, Durham, that he had taken seven overdoses between November 2001 and October 2003 and on two separate occasions he was admitted to hospital having cut his wrists.

Overdoses of some form of drug. how was he allowed access to any drug? legal or illegal? in his state of mind? pot can also take you to a point of depression.

have you tried it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back