Burke Ramsey Files 750 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against CBS #2

Tricia, we think very much alike on this one.
The Ramseys always do this. It’s to save face. CBS never backed down and Wood knew he had no case against CBS. CBS showed no maliciousness in its reinvestigation of the case. The experts simply gave their expert opinions. It’s important to put out that there were no falsehoods in the docuseries. Wood and Ramsey started out by saying they were going to clear Burke’s name and prove he was defamed by CBS. Team Ramsey, did neither. All claims against the producers(including the claim that Burke was defamed by them)were dismissed. No apology. No retraction. No banning of, or denouncing the series. This is the only thing they could do to save face.

I'll bet zero. I think this is all about perception on the Ramsey side. They don't want Burke deposed and everybody knows it. I'm sure CBS just agreed to never run the segment again. Public perception will always be that CBS folded because they were wrong, and the Ramseys and LW will use that.

The fact that neither side wanted to advertise how much money was exchanged is completely mute. Nevertheless, CBS saved a boat load of money by not running through a very costly trial which could have been a risk for either side. It's highly doubtful that an attorney would take a case like this and fold so quickly for zero dollars and zero cents. CBS would more than likely of paid something to make it stop. They wouldn't want the publicity, and if they did pay nothing then they would be screaming it from the rooftops.

Maybe the point at issue was whether or not he was a public figure, and CBS couldn't be sure they would win on that, so they agreed to silence if Burke withdrew the claim.

The fact that neither side wanted to advertise how much money was exchanged is completely mute. Nevertheless, CBS saved a boat load of money by not running through a very costly trial which could have been a risk for either side. It's highly doubtful that an attorney would take a case like this and fold so quickly for zero dollars and zero cents. CBS would more than likely of paid something to make it stop. They wouldn't want the publicity, and if they did pay nothing then they would be screaming it from the rooftops.
One just has to look at how Lin Wood operates. I don't think anybody in the Ramsey group wants Burke to publicly talk, much less be deposed. So Why would Lin Wood file this suit, knowing full well that Burke Ramsey would need to give a deposition if he was going to move the suit forward. So either he was hoping CBS would pay to make it go away or he was simply doing it to give the impression to the public that the accusations were nonsense and that the family would go to any lengths to defend him. The fact that this case has been going on for such a long time leads me to believe that CBS did not back down and that the Ramsey's settled. But you see that headline, "CBS settles $750,000,000 lawsuit with Burke Ramsey" and most people will think that he got a big chunk of that. Nonsense. But the Ramsey's win again, even if they didn't get a penny.

Maybe the point at issue was whether or not he was a public figure, and CBS couldn't be sure they would win on that, so they agreed to silence if Burke withdrew the claim.
Not sure how anybody could argue he wasn't a public figure. He'd just been on 60 Minutes and did an interview with Dr Phil. Those people don't interview non-public figures.

The Ramseys always do this. It’s to save face. CBS never backed down and Wood knew he had no case against CBS. CBS showed no maliciousness in its reinvestigation of the case. The experts simply gave their expert opinions. It’s important to put out that there were no falsehoods in the docuseries. Wood and Ramsey started out by saying they were going to clear Burke’s name and prove he was defamed by CBS. Team Ramsey, did neither. All claims against the producers(including the claim that Burke was defamed by them)were dismissed. No apology. No retraction. No banning of, or denouncing the series. This is the only thing they could do to save face.
Agreed.

And btw, trials likely cost CBS nothing as their lawyers are probably on staff. So unless they lose, there is no real cost to them.

And btw, trials likely cost CBS nothing as their lawyers are probably on staff. So unless they lose, there is no real cost to them.

No, but a trial would be costly, and you never know which way a jury will go. It's a coin flip.

No, but a trial would be costly, and you never know which way a jury will go. It's a coin flip.
True, but big companies only go to trial when they are reasonably sure of winning. They are not stupid. They know just as well as everyone else that Lin Wood will never let Burke Ramsey be deposed. Never going to happen. So for CBS it was just a matter of waiting for Lin Wood to flinch.

True, but big companies only go to trial when they are reasonably sure of winning. They are not stupid. They know just as well as everyone else that Lin Wood will never let Burke Ramsey be deposed. Never going to happen. So for CBS it was just a matter of waiting for Lin Wood to flinch.
Yes, and he did.

Yes, and he did.
Unfortunately time has now passed and the interest in the case has waned yet again. CBS put on a good special, it got people talking and thinking about the case again. Lin Wood put an end to that pretty effectively. So at the end of the day its a Ramsey win.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Ramsey v. CBS, that need to be cleared up. Defamation is extremely hard to prove. Remember, the burden of proof was on Burke Ramsey. The plaintiff(Burke) needed to prove with clear and convincing evidence that the claims or offending statements made by CBS, were made with knowledge of its falsity, or reckless disregard for whether or not it was false. This is an extremely high burden established in the 1964, landmark Supreme Court decision in the New York Times v. Sullivan Case. CBS said bring it, and they stood by the content and claims in their reinvestigation of JonBenét’s death, laid out in their docuseries. CBS was ready and willing to go to trial. The Ramseys were not. CBS wasn’t in the position of needing this “thing” to go away. They knew they had the law on their side and remained steadfast in their position. The only out here for Team Ramsey, was to blink first, and offer to “settle” before a trial where they would have had Burke deposed and on the stand. In the end, CBS docuseries stands. It is not banned or restricted. All claims against CBS were dismissed.

Wood bought two quiet Christmases in a row. That’s it.
Unfortunately time has now passed and the interest in the case has waned yet again. CBS put on a good special, it got people talking and thinking about the case again. Lin Wood put an end to that pretty effectively. So at the end of the day its a Ramsey win.

Not sure how anybody could argue he wasn't a public figure. He'd just been on 60 Minutes and did an interview with Dr Phil. Those people don't interview non-public figures.
Were those appearances before CBS made the documentary?

It states “without costs or attorneys fees” , doesn’t that mean CBS did not pay BRs attorneys fees ? Am I misunderstanding that?
It always says that on the dismissal after a private settlement. I work for an attorney. Every time we settle out of court, we ask the Judge to dismiss it with prejudice, each party to bear their own attorney’s fees and costs. From everything I’ve read it is obvious that the Ramseys got some satisfaction in return for dropping their lawsuit. Typical mediated settlement.

Not so fast. This is actually favorable to CBS.

An online register of actions in the case shows that Judge David A. Groner signed an order of dismissal on Wednesday, and that a settlement conference set for March 20 has been canceled, with the notation "case disposed."

A clerk in Groner's office on Friday said the order declares that the claims against those producing the documentary "are dismissed with prejudice and without costs or attorney fees. This is a final order and the case is closed."

A dismissal is always filed when a case is settled.

Odd as it sounds, some people have a stress response that causes them to smile and/or laugh about things that are deadly serious and not funny. I’ve seen it first-hand. It is bizarre, but genuine.

Good Post. This case is about opinions and people have strong ones about the different theories. I personally think the theory that Burke killed his sister as a child is a very poor one. It always surprises me how little sympathy people have for him including in my experience from other people who have also lost loved ones to terrible crimes.

I've been shocked by the judgement and anger that have been heaped on Burke Ramsey and especially on a forum like this one where people tend to be sensitive to child victims. I don't think there is any proof at all to support that he committed the homicide. I can't believe the way he's been torn down for stuff like not being able to recognize pineapple or for squirming and acting anxious as a child during police interviews.

I've been shocked by the judgement and anger that have been heaped on Burke Ramsey and especially on a forum like this one where people tend to be sensitive to child victims. I don't think there is any proof at all to support that he committed the homicide. I can't believe the way he's been torn down for stuff like not being able to recognize pineapple or for squirming and acting anxious as a child during police interviews.
Not really sure how you can say that? Burkes DNA is on the pineapple bowl and on JBs pyjamas. He has admitted using the flashlight that evening, and has lied about his presence during the 911 call. He is at the very least a very suspicious character. In my opinion, there were three people in that house and all three have clearly mislead authorities. Who exactly pulled the proverbial trigger is of little consequence to me anymore as I am certain that all three had some sort of involvement in the crime or the covering up of the crime. All three are equally as guilty. Discovering who actually did the deed is likely impossible at this point is pretty much impossible without the cooperation of either John or Burke, and that obviously will never happen. So, the best we can do is theorize. For me, the theory that makes the most sense starts with Burke hitting JB with the flashlight. I say this mainly because I just don't see Patsy and John coming together so quickly to stage the scene if either one of them had done it. I don't believe that their relationship was so strong that one would instantly forgive the other and forever keep their secret. I am convinced that the only reason these people would continue to lie like this would be to protect their remaining child. If you read Kolar's book there is plenty of evidence against Burke as well. Probably not enough to get a conviction, but certainly enough to say that he is a very viable suspect.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back