GUILTY AZ - Sex abuse probe after patient in vegetative state has baby, Phoenix, 29 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

“Another big question being asked is how could staff here not known a patient was pregnant up until labor? Police have made no arrests and it's unclear if they've identified any suspects. A source tells KPHO investigators are now considering asking for warrants for people's DNA samples. A spokesman for Arizona's governor calls the situation ‘deeply troubling’ and promised a new focus on patient safety.” (BBM)

'Trust has been broken' after woman in vegetative state gives birth at nursing facility

I have been reading about this since early this morning on various sites. One thing that has been stated is that no one can be forced to give DNA samples (which surprised me), unless there is compelling reason to believe that a particular person was the one that raped her. The other thing that I read, which came from a doctor, is that it is not unusual for a person in a vegetative state to have extreme weight losses or gains. I was also curious about how a person with around-the-clock care could miss her menstrual cycle for so many months, but somebody else said that often cycles can be sporadic. Has anybody heard how old the lady is? I wonder what will happen with the baby. Just kind of thinking out loud.

It's not uncommon for menstruation to cease if in a vegetative state or even if just bedridden.

Deleting

I'm removing my post because I cant find the links I thought I had. What info I have points back to Multiple Sclerosis and not specifically to menstruation / lack of menstruation in a vegetative state; I think my information at this point is only anecdotal & can't be supported ; if I do find links I will repost.

@Gunslinging Granny

Last edited:
A person in a nursing home could easily be pregnant or abused and no one would notice. Usually the laziest nurses work in LTC. They sit in their station like a queen, and as for doctors, they just sign off whatever the nurse writes on the chart.

During bathing, CNA staff is so busy, it is like an assembly line, you get them in the chair, wash the "parts", and really don't even notice or think that is actually a "person". It is just a job to get done. CNA's are literally run ragged in LTC. Bath, dressed, fed, changed, med time, changed, recreation, feed, med, change, nap, wake up, change, feed, change bedding, it is constant work. Usually two CNA's per shift for 12-14 patients.

The nurse is supposed to do skin checks, daily and sign off if there are any problems for the doctor to review. I bet they will blame CNA staff for not doing the nurses job!

“Officials: DNA search warrants served on male Hacienda Healthcare staffers”

“In a statement, officials [with Hacienda Healthcare] said Phoenix Police served a search warrant on Tuesday to obtain DNA from male Hacienda Healthcare staffers. In addition, officials said they have consulted attorneys to determine whether it would be legal for the company to compel its employees to undergo DNA testing through Hacienda, or for the company to conduct voluntary genetic testing of staffers. In either case, company officials were told it would be a violation of federal law.“ (BBM)
Officials: DNA search warrants served on male Hacienda Healthcare staffers

Comatose woman who gave birth in Phoenix is Apache tribe member | Daily Mail Online

Police served a search warrant Tuesday to get DNA from all male employees at a long-term care facility in Phoenix where a patient who had been in a vegetative state for years gave birth, triggering reviews by state agencies and putting a spotlight on safety concerns for patients who are severely disabled or incapacitated.

Hacienda HealthCare said it welcomed the DNA testing of employees.

'We will continue to cooperate with Phoenix Police and all other investigative agencies to uncover the facts in this deeply disturbing, but unprecedented situation,' the company said in a statement.

[...]

I hope there are warrants for male staffers that worked there 9 months ago but perhaps don't currently work there. I actually wouldn't there there would be a whole lot of likely suspects. In fact, I bet if you asked other staff there, they would tell you that they probably have a pretty good idea who did this.

Last edited:
I hope there are warrants for male staffers that worked there 9 months ago but perhaps don't currently work there. I actually wouldn't there there would be a whole lot of likely suspects. In fact, I bet if you asked other staff there, they would tell you that they probably have a pretty good idea who did this.

I agree!

Absolutely agree.

The family of the Arizona woman who gave birth to a baby boy last month, despite being in a vegetative state for a decade, is still coming to grips with how their daughter’s trust was violated.

----------------------------------------

Micheaels also gave an update on the newborn writing, “The family would like me to convey that the baby boy has been born into a loving family and will be well cared for.”

Family of Woman Who Gave Birth in Vegetative State 'Outraged and Traumatized': Lawyer

I would feel better if it said previous and current male staffers.... I'm impressed they got a warrant at all. I was worried they would not be able to and would have to ask for voluntary submissions.

The facility can house up to 58 residents. I understand it's for younger residents with very high needs, so a high proportion of the residents may be infants and children. There are young adults as well, but many would have little mobility. The number of residents under suspicion would be few if any. I think the bigger concern is just how vulnerable these residents are.

I had to use Internet Archive Wayback Machine to even find out what demographic they cater for. They have pulled down almost everything, including their Facebook page. This wall of silence is not a good look right now. But from the archive of their website (on which most pictures are of children):

"Hacienda HealthCare is Arizona’s leading provider of specialized health care services for medically fragile and chronically ill infants, children, teens, and young adults as well as those with intellectual and developmental disabilities."

I don't think anything about the place's description indicates that all or almost all of the residents would be physically unable to do something like this, but I do think a resident would have been much more likely to have been caught long before now. Of course it's always possible that someone did know, but did not report it...

I don't think anything about the place's description indicates that all or almost all of the residents would be physically unable to do something like this

I also found something on one of their social media accounts stating that most of their residents are “bound to a wheelchair”. (Their term, not mine. I avoid the word “bound” when referring to wheelchair users)

I’ll find the link when I’m in front of a computer shortly.

I also found something on one of their social media accounts stating that most of their residents are “bound to a wheelchair”. (Their term, not mine. I avoid the word “bound” when referring to wheelchair users)

I’ll find the link when I’m in front of a computer shortly.

That is interesting. Because laws regarding physical restraints are very strict, and have to be written in a patient's chart, signed off by the doctor and a supervisory nurse manager.

Even wheelchair straps or putting someone in a locked desk is considered "Physical Restraints".

That is interesting. Because laws regarding physical restraints are very strict, and have to be written in a patient's chart, signed off by the doctor and a supervisory nurse manager.

Even wheelchair straps or putting someone in a locked desk is considered "Physical Restraints".

I think it's probably just a roundabout way for them to say 'wheelchair bound'.

It wasn't a reference to restraints. What they meant was that residents are either mobility impaired, or are wheelchair users for another reason. Basically, it's just a term that refers to people who use wheelchairs, although it's fast becoming an out-dated term. It can be an especially annoying term for wheelchair users who feel that their wheelchair has provided them with freedom and independence, as opposed to being something that they are "bound" to.

Anyway... it was on their YouTube account that I saw it. Below is the exact quote, and a link (still there right now, but it may be pulled down at some point).

“With our new Therapy Pool, for the first time our patients will be able to experience a sense freedom. Most of our patients are bound to a wheelchair and they don’t get to experience the freedom of movement and the pool will help them do that.” - Tyler Shupe, Physical Therapist

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back