Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know anything more about the neighborhood? Residential houses, vacation/hunting cabins? I pictured the house as a shack she was being held in, but the neighbors paint a different picture.
Gordon is a remote town of fewer than 700 people about 40 miles south of Superior. Jayme was taken from her home in Barron, about 70 miles south of Gordon.

KARE-TV in Minneapolis reported that Jayme was found at Eau Claire Acres, a small development about six miles east of Gordon on County Y, according to the Town of Gordon board chairman.

Town of Gordon Chairman Denny Kline told The Associated Press the area where Jayme was found is populated by single-family, cabin-like homes.

Jayme Closs found alive in Douglas County; teen had been missing for nearly three months

Google Maps

I’m a little perplexed by some of the details — The Daily Beast article doesn’t seem to square with the Star Tribune or reports that the suspect apprehended in 11 minutes. But it’s a fluid situation, and I’m guessing the overall narrative will make more sense once Fitzgerald speaks.

Considering there's at least one article referencing someone who learned she was located thanks to having been listening to scanner traffic, I'm guessing the timing (to the minute) is probably related to some media source(s) having used scanner traffic themselves, as well.

I actually didn't look to see if it's available on Broadcastify in the archives from earlier today, but even if it's not, at least in my state, much of our local media listens to it via actually scanners, and a few even record it in case of a big case where they want to at least be able to pull that prior to it being released via other means.

Some combination of the above may well be why some have extremely specific timelines and others don't, IMO.

And some may also be going by local reports (such as those involved knowing what time 911 was called and the timing within which LE responded) in which case other than the time the call was placed, the other time could be more approximation than as specific as had been stated (though I'm more inclined to think scanner info may be the real source)

Seattle1 posted this last thread. It's amazing that JC just happened to approach a dogwalker who is a social worker married to a retired police officer. Even in rescue she was blessed to encounter tbe exact right people.

Wisconsin Teen Jayme Closs Found Alive: ‘The Girl Just Came Out of the Woods’

"...The break in the disturbing case came in the late afternoon as social worker J N was walking her dog near the cabin she owns with her husband Forrest, a retired police officer.

“The girl just came out of the woods,” Forrest told The Daily Beast.

“She [Jeanne] kept her composure and took the girl to a safe place and called the sheriff’s department,” he added. “She called and said they found Jayme and she was going to the hospital.”

He said his wife had worked in child protective services in the past and knew how to react in the moment. But still, he said, “it was really very stressful for her and she is not up to talking about it.” ..."

Article Updated: UPDATE: Couple describes Jayme Closs being found

A Wisconsin couple is describing the dramatic moments when a neighbor pounded on their door to say she had stumbled across Jayme Closs, a 13-year-old girl who had been missing nearly three months.

A town official says a Wisconsin girl who turned up safe after being missing nearly three months was found in a small forested area of cabin-like homes about 6 miles east of the small Town of Gordon.

Denny Kline, board chairman in the Town of Gordon, says he first learned Jayme was found while listening to a police scanner, which he has for work. He says he heard Jayme was walking down the road and someone stopped near her.

Kline says he heard on the scanner that Jayme told them who she was, and they brought her to their home.

Douglas County Sheriff Tom Dalbec made the following post on Facebook Thursday night:

"I am very pleased to announce that Jayme Closs was located late this afternoon within Douglas County. I cannot release anymore details at this time as the investigation is ongoing. Great job to the members of the DGSO who helped in locating Jayme and the citizen who phoned in the information."

Considering there's at least one article referencing someone who learned she was located thanks to having been listening to scanner traffic, I'm guessing the timing (to the minute) is probably related to some media source(s) having used scanner traffic themselves, as well.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Do we know anything more about the neighborhood? Residential houses, vacation/hunting cabins? I pictured the house as a shack she was being held in, but the neighbors paint a different picture.

The Star Tribune article seemed to suggest vacation/seasonal homes with not many year-round residents. Looking at Google satellite images, I see some homes and some smaller structures that look like they could be cabins or shacks. Assuming the Daily Beast and Star Tribune reports are accurate, I’m guessing it must be a middle-class neighborhood if a teacher, retired social worker, and police officer all lived there. (I previously lived in that general region of Wisconsin-Minnesota, and having neighbors with those occupations would suggest a relatively nice neighborhood to me). Just my speculation.

Since Jayme is an orphan by definition she is a ward of the state. There would likely be someone there to look after her interests but I don't believe it would be a family member. Law enforcement is going to want to get as much of the story they can get from her before she is around people who might know other information about the case or her access to any news of the case so that nothing she says is contaminated by outside knowledge.
Her aunt is perfectly capable of looking after Jayme's interest while being interviewed by LE. JMO

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying!

The Star Tribune article seemed to suggest vacation/seasonal homes with not many year-round residents. Looking at Google satellite images, I see some homes and some smaller structures that look like they could be cabins or shacks. Assuming the Daily Beast and Star Tribune reports are accurate, I’m guessing it must be a middle-class neighborhood if a teacher, retired social worker, and police officer all lived there. (I previously lived in that general region of Wisconsin-Minnesota, and having neighbors with those occupations would suggest a relatively nice neighborhood to me). Just my speculation.

Agreed. My brother owned a place on a lake in Northern Wisconsin that was very remote. I walked around the lake one day, and saw small places, as well as larger, custom-built places.

Many people from the Chicago area come up to the North Woods to vacation and possibly retire. So, one might see dwellings of all shapes and sizes.

Last edited:
That one says it's "Off Market" -- meaning it's not for sale. There is another one for sale nearby though that has been on the market for 252 days: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa....564694,46.221177,-91.681939_rect/12_zm/1_fr/

I wonder if they kept her in a vacant outbuilding of property that is for sale?
That would be my guess.

The description of her appearance was such that I would be surprised if she was kept in any sort of comfort.

I’m imagining a shed or small cabin. A place without the amenities you would expect in a house.

Heard the great news here on local Orlando news and my heart just stopped, same as when they announced Elizabeth Smart had been found alive. Could hardly believe it, I was expecting the worse in both cases and so happy I was wrong. Looking forward to tomorrow's press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail