Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess one of the shots could have gone thru the door and killed Mr. Closs. Minimum 2 shots (door/Mr Closs, then Mrs Closs). Maybe 3. Likely more than 3, but not all heard.
I'm wondering if Mr. Closs heard a car or some noise outside and was looking out the window or heading to the door to investigate when the perp shot through the door. The dad was found near the door, but it's not as if the perp knocked first, as we now know. I think he was looking for something he heard outside.

The perp clearly planned this out. So creepy to think of that.

jmo

I have upper Midwest roots and imo, it's more likely to be described as a "home" rather than a "cabin" if it's winterized and could be used as a permanent residence. Whether it was fancy or simple doesn't matter as much as the winterized info, imo.

(Grew up spending LOTS of winter weekends in a non-winterized cabin, FWIW! I can pee below zero, lol!)
I lived in the ECA (Eau Claire Acres) for over 7 years. These 'cabins' are lived in by few folks who are permanent residents but the vast majority are tourists from Barron, Chetek, the Twin Cities, Chicago. Barron has deep roots in the Gordon area however. I knew a group of 5 bear hunters that the only time they showed up at their cabin in the ECA was for fishing twice a year or running bears with dogs in the fall. They close up the place after bear hunting & you don't see them again til spring. It doesn't surprise me that this guy thought it possible to stay under the radar up in Gordon. Not at all.

Boom! Exactly.

He went to that house because he was aware of Jayme, he didn’t just get lucky.
I can't help but wonder if this was an incident similar to the Petit Murders. Maybe he saw Jayme and her Mom or Dad out shopping at some point and followed them home. Then later (hours or days) he attacked and in this case it wasn't a robbery but instead the attack was to take Jayme.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did he case the house? He couldn't sit in his car anywhere close to the house because it is highway and he would be totally exposed. Did he sit in the woods, then he wouldn't see the front of the house. That sort of leaves, being in or around the house when they weren't home.
Read up on the Groene case in Idaho. Lots of similarities to this case IMO

8 min ago
Authorities believe suspect acted alone in Jayme Closs kidnapping

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said investigators believe that suspect Jake Thomas Patterson acted alone in the murders of Jayme Closs' parents, as well as her kidnapping.

At least 30 investigators are currently searching a home in Gordon, Wisconsin, where the 13-year-old was believed to have been held captive.

Fitzgerald believes investigators will be on the scene for several hours.
Live updates: Missing teen Jayme Closs found alive - CNN

I'm not sure what you are saying. Winterized means that no one lives there. Water is turned off and pipes are protected from freezing. Gas valves are closed, etc. Winterized means the house is able to sit through the winter without damage.

Non-winterized would mean heat, water, etc. is turned on and it's likely lived in through the winter.

I live in the upper midwest and work in reality. What these types of places are called is generally up to the families that have had them and what they use them for. "Cottage", "Cabin", "Lake house", "River house", "House", "Vacation home", etc. are all common uses for these types of places that can be either or depending on who you are talking to.

Some families don't use any of those and name the house itself. lol Like ... "We're going to Hunts Swallow" which would refer to their cottage on the river.
Yes, I know. Sorry I wasn't clear. Not going to go off on a tangent on this except to say I'm super familiar with northern cabins and understand the water and heat issue (and spent time in cabins without running water in the winter).

Sorry I brought it up, not in a snarky way but in a off-topic way.

jmo

She will not feel safe for a very long time, if truly ever. Think about yourself at 13. If you can’t feel safe in your own home with your parents in the middle of a school night...WHEN could you? For many, a level of comfort is gone. Having P-PTSD, I never feel safe. Ever. Even 20yrs later. Never. So, I know she will never either. But, she can learn to tolerate it and live a wonderful normal life, with a lot of specialized therapy. I hope she’s protected at all costs. Especially for a while, as she tries to begin to recover from JP’s Hell on Earth. jmo
I'm sorry you have to endure that StarEyes.

IMO, LE is going to need to be more forthcoming with info. The truth is that the public has been at risk for the past few months. They need to reveal the connection to the Closs family at the very least. As happy as the locals are that she is safe, I see the public getting angry pretty quickly. And I wouldn’t blame them. (Maybe this will come in time...I hope so).

From the above article:
"Steve Lykken, president of the Jennie-O Turkey Store in Barron, issued a statement Friday saying 21-year-old Jake Patterson was hired one day but quit the next, explaining that he was moving away from the area".

Could this be how JP had initial contact with the Jayme Closs's parents?

Fitzgerald clearly said they havent
found any connection with JO and the suspect. He was there only one day anyway.

All he had to do is see her at a convenience store or getting on the bus. Seeing her anywhere when she was out could have started his obsession.

These creeps are out there but no one knows who they are or what they are thinking or who they may stalk and become obsessed with.

None of us pays close attention to everyone who may pass by our homes and are doing so with evil intentions.

I think once he saw Jayme out somewhere he started casing her home out. Imo he knew before he went in who all lived there and probably the layout of the home. The same tactic Joe Duncan did before he entered the Greone home. I think he had planned to do this for weeks or even possibly months and carefully planned how he was going to do it all.

Imo they would have no clue he was staking out their home. I think he did it covertly and late in the night or early morning where they wouldnt know he was spying on them.

Jmo

I can't help but wonder if this was an incident similar to the Petit Murders. Maybe he saw Jayme and her Mom or Dad out shopping at some point and followed them home. Then later he attacked and in this case it wasn't a robbery but instead the attack was to take Jayme.
I described a similar scenario a couple months ago.

I doubt that now, because this attack seems to have been planned for a length of time.

He certainly was aware of her, but I don’t think that’s how it happened.

ETA: This is what I said then:

“I’m a drug using criminal with a history of sexual deviance. I have a gun in my vehicle.

I encounter Jayme and her mother at some point during the day of the attack. I want Jayme.

I follow them home, and discover to my delight, that the house is relatively secluded.

I leave, get something to eat, and perhaps use drugs or alcohol.

I engage the house late that night, when I know the family will be sleeping. I kill the parents, and kidnap Jayme.”

Here are my notes from the presser at 4pm today
  • Monday, January 14th - Initial Appearance
  • Criminal Complaint will be available after court Monday
  • JC reunited with aunt this afternoon
  • Recovered gun consistent with gun used at Closs home
  • More than 1 gun was found at JP residence
  • JP went to HS in Gordon, WI area
  • Shaved head prior to killing and kidnapping
  • JP worked at Jenni O plant for less than 2 days - no contact with JC's parents
  • JP didn't know any of the Closs Family
  • No search warrants in Barron County
  • JC was targeted - no more info regarding that
  • Unemployed
  • No criminal record
  • Sibling has criminal record and LE is looking into it
  • Not looking for other suspects at this time
  • Main reason was to kidnap JC
  • 911 call - unknown who made it
  • No one in JP's family has contacted Barron SO
  • The residence had water and electricity
  • Human Services will determine where JC is placed
  • Looking at how he is connected to Barron
  • 30-40+ people still at the residence/scene
  • Poor cell signal at the residence/scene
  • Tipline set up for anyone needed help or struggling will be posted on Barron SO FB
jmo

Last edited:
She will not feel safe for a very long time, if truly ever. Think about yourself at 13. If you can’t feel safe in your own home with your parents in the middle of a school night...WHEN could you? For many, a level of comfort is gone. Having P-PTSD, I never feel safe. Ever. Even 20yrs later. Never. So, I know she will never either. But, she can learn to tolerate it and live a wonderful normal life, with a lot of specialized therapy. I hope she’s protected at all costs. Especially for a while, as she tries to begin to recover from JP’s Hell on Earth. jmo
I'm sad to say that I agree 1,000 percent. My dad died when I was 9. For YEARS I woke up with night terrors that my mom was also dead. Finally it got to the point where I had to sleep with my mom so I could wake up and immediately check she was still alive in the middle of the night. For what Jayme went through, seeing both of her parents murdered, and then God knows what for four months afterwards....my heart goes out to her and those caring for her. What a monster to do this to a family and little girl. A true monster.

The charging document would have to include such charges, I presume.

Sometimes, prosecutors choose to not pursue sexual assault or assault charges if they have a confession OR an open and shut life conviction on more severe charges.

They do this in part to protect minors and ALSO to hold back charges on the off chance that they don't get a conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks