GUILTY AZ - Sex abuse probe after patient in vegetative state has baby, Phoenix, 29 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Comatose woman who gave birth in Phoenix is Apache tribe member | Daily Mail Online

Police served a search warrant Tuesday to get DNA from all male employees at a long-term care facility in Phoenix where a patient who had been in a vegetative state for years gave birth, triggering reviews by state agencies and putting a spotlight on safety concerns for patients who are severely disabled or incapacitated.

Hacienda HealthCare said it welcomed the DNA testing of employees.

'We will continue to cooperate with Phoenix Police and all other investigative agencies to uncover the facts in this deeply disturbing, but unprecedented situation,' the company said in a statement.

[...]

That is just the beginning, are they going to court order every single male who has visited a family member in the facility? Go through the log books for every male that could have been in the building? Maybe they had a company who came in to fix HVAC, they don't usually have every worker sign in...I hate to say this, but it may be unlikely to identify the rapist.

They WILL be able to identify the rapist. I have no doubt about that. They don't actually NEED DNA from the suspect to do that. It will just make it faster and simpler. I'm guessing it's more likely to be someone comfortable in the facility with frequent access. So likely somebody they will know about and get a warrant for their DNA. Obviously if the employees all come back clean they will branch out from there.

How Police Learned Woman in Coma at Ariz. Facility Had Given Birth: Baby Had 'Coded' and Mom Was 'Helpless'

On the same day that the baby boy was born, officers responded to a call that an infant had “coded” and was in “distress” with troubles breathing. “The baby was born having issues, that was the nature of the call,
that’s what started this on the 29th of December,” Thompson told reporters of how their investigation began.

The mother, who has been in a vegetative state for 14 years after a near-drowning, was “unable to move [and] unable to communicate, in other words, she was helpless and incapacitated,” according to Thompson.

“As far as I know it was a natural birth,” he said.

When asked if the mother had a full-term pregnancy, Thompson said “[she] was quite a ways along.”

Both the baby, who is now 11 days old, and his mother are currently recovering at a local hospital.

“She was not in a position to give consent,” Thompson said of the mother, calling her a “helpless victim who was sexually assaulted.”

Ugh, I have a friend of the family in the same situation of having drowned, been resuscitated and now incapable of doing anything for themselves or communicating. They can laugh and cry though and are not without sound. They moan plenty. They get full time care at home though. It's horrific to think of this whole situation. I first heard of it when my husband sent me a link to the news article and said things like this made him ashamed to be a man.

Personally I find it hard to believe that a one off visitor decide to just randomly rape a patient. Someone comes to fix the AC and sees a woman in a bed who can't talk or move? Nah. This place was still full of people. I'd wager it's most likely someone with time to really assess how the place is run and know they'd have time to do something like this and not get caught or have anyone notice. I just highly doubt a one time visitor did this.

They should start with the night workers, aides, nurses, cooks,
cleaners, etc. Lots of weird things happen at night in nursing
homes because they drug the patients to sleep and be quiet
and there are fewer medical personnel scheduled on duty.

Over the years I've heard of elderly women (2) who reported to
their family that they were being raped at nursing homes and
the families laughed about "momma losing her mind" and tee-heed that she had dementia. When I, in both incidents, asked
the family member if it could be true and are they 1000% sure
it could not be true, I got the deer in headlights look.
Another incident involved an elderly male in my family who
got beat up and thrown on floor by a male orderly/aide.
everyone at the facility denied anything happened until I
started asking another resident there if they had seen
anything and then I was told exactly what had happened.
the facility immediately suggested my family member needed
to go to hospital for treatment and he could not come back
to this facility because he required too much care.

Comatose Woman Was Last Examined by Doctor More Than 8 Months Prior to Giving Birth in Facility — People

“The 29-year-old Native American woman has been a resident of the facility run by Hacienda HeathCare for more than 27 years, almost double the length of time that appeared in previous reports.”

“According to the documents, the woman suffers from quadriplegia, recurrent pneumonia and a seizure disorder”

She must have been under the age of 2 when the near drowning occurred.

The two main ways someone becomes quadriplegic is by trauma resulting in a spinal cord injury or as a result of a medical issue/disease. 90% of spinal cord injury cases are due to trauma.

Last edited:
Didn't we read she was this way due to drowning not spinal injury? My family friend who is this way is due to drowning. There was no damage to the spine but severe enough brain damage due to lack of oxygen that they have no use of limbs. This study sounds similar to what he dealt with. He was also called comatose for the longest time but gradually regained minimal function enough to not be called comatose. He follows people with his eyes and likes tv. But can't actually do anything to communicate other than laugh and cry. It made me wonder how they ever determine what's really comatose in a situation like this since there was no real defined period of comatose and then not comatose. Functional integrity in children with anoxic brain injury from drowning. - PubMed - NCBI

I am so pleased that the suspect will probably be located soon.
This 'care centre' requires a complete overhaul, if the pregnancy was unknown.
The care here is absolutely lacking.
Do doctors and nurses just have cups of coffee?
Any other patient, in the centre, and families must be informed and appropriate measures taken to
alter standards.
New management immediately.
MOO.
There are likely no doctors in this type of facility. They may see a Nurse Practitioner a couple times a year or more when ill. Remember this patient has been there since she was three. I'd be surprised if family looks under the covers very often.

"The caretaker, who was not identified by the station said the victim couldn't walk or even use sign language and her nursing home room and a day room where she was taken in a wheelchair were the only worlds she knew.

San Carlos Apache Tribal Chairman Terry Rambler said: 'On behalf of the tribe, I am deeply shocked and horrified at the treatment of one of our members'

'I can't believe that somebody would bathe her daily for nine months and never know that she wasn't having a period, that she [was] growing in her midsection, that nurses weren't keeping track of her weight,' the caregiver said.

'Those things are shocking to me.

The former caregiver said hearing the woman had had a baby was 'like a punch in the gut' especially as the victim could never know who had assaulted her.

The woman's family visited every few months, usually in a large group of some 15 people, the caregiver said."

"Records show the woman's last court-ordered medical examination took place on April 16, 2018 — eight months and 13 days before she gave birth."

Frantic 911 call nurses made as they rescued newborn after mother in vegetative state gives birth | Daily Mail Online

There are likely no doctors in this type of facility. They may see a Nurse Practitioner a couple times a year or more when ill. Remember this patient has been there since she was three. I'd be surprised if family looks under the covers very often.

Still thinking of family friend here...but he basically wears adult diapers and is given sponge baths. I'm not that surprised she'd go that long without seeing a doctor. Though I'd expect she'd been seen for seizure disorder and frequent pneumonia. Someone had to be regularly bathing her body and cleaning private parts though. I'd not expect family to look under covers necessarily, unless you want to check on family members. I'd never trust strangers like that with my family. But someone in that facility should have been seeing and cleaning her body regularly. :/

I would expect the parents to look under the covers or take a second look at her abdomen while sitting in a wheelchair.
Especially with 15 family members there at one time - this sounded odd to me. We split up visiting instead of everyone going on one day every few months.
Had this family group been there since the doctors visit?
(The timing of the doctors visit caught my eye too)

Yes, though I also noticed "court ordered medical examination". Surely those are not typically court ordered?

My husband is the guardian for his severely disabled brother who is in a home somewhat similar. He has cerebral palsy, blind and mentally disabled. He has a meeting yearly with caregivers, head of facility, and the person who is his case manager for the state since he is on medicaid as an incapacitated adult. He has court ordered doctor exams, dental and other care listed on the paperwork which is signed and notarized by husband and sent back to the court. It's part of the system checks and balances.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back