Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have first-person experience in helping/knowing how a victim like this rebuilds? I found myself wondering about her return to school. Would she return? Would she be in the same grade? Surely they wouldn’t fail her??

I’ve been lurking this case from the beginning but haven’t posted. I do have experience with this though, so I thought I’d share. I wasn’t kidnapped, so certainly not the same trauma, but after a brutal sexual assault during high school I was given a tutor to finish the year at home. I’m not sure of the services her school provides, but I lived in a very small town & they definitely did everything they could to help me finish my work while going through hospitalizations & intensive therapy. Im guessing they will give her the option of whether to return or not. As for the rest of your question, it takes time, focused therapy, possibly medication, etc to get a sense of normalcy back. Im 20 years past my attack & still suffer from ptsd, but everyone is different. I’m incredibly happy that it seems she has a great support system, because I truly believe that helps more than anything.

I don't know if that has been nailed down.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/jake-patterson-family-erik-brother-father/

This article says:

"Neighbor Daphne Ronning told USA Today and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that “Patterson’s parents moved to the home about 15 years ago and that Jake and his brother were raised there.”

She told the newspaper that the parents moved to a different home, but Jake Patterson and his brother stayed in their childhood residence.

“We had some problems with them when they were teenagers – we caught them siphoning gas,” Ronning said to the newspaper. “My husband talked with them and there was never anything else.”

So, they moved there as a family in 2003 or 2004, and the parents divorced in 2007 when Jake was 10 and the brother was 13, or so. One or both of the parents must have stayed for a few more years at least. The neighbor says they were teenagers when they were there by themselves, so maybe 5 or 6 years later, they were on their own for a while before the brother went to CO and JTP was alone? Maybe they were on their own when the brother committed the sexual crime?

All in all, my feeling is that these men had very little guidance at a crucial juncture in their lives, and maybe the parenting prior to leaving them on their own wasn't so great either. The crimes are different but the general lack of goals, being unable or unwilling to hold a job, etc. does seem to be shared by both of them.
Not to mention both of their seeming disregard for the rights of females, among other things.

I speculated about him potentially enlisting yesterday because of a comment on that Facebook photo of him, his mom, and sister.

He may have enlisted and never shipped off to boot camp. If he had actually served, we would probably know by now.

Jake Thomas Patterson: Jayme Closs suspect was quiet student who hoped to join Marines
It happens, sometimes after shipping off. I personally know of one person who signed up on a delayed enlistment program in high school, received uniforms and reported to Reserve drills, then shipped to Basic some months later - only to return almost immediately discharged because of a shoplifting charge as a minor that hadn’t been disclosed.

JMO respectfully. To my knowledge JP has 3 charges (unless more were recently added). Some of what has been discussed (not bringing more attention to it by saying it) has reminded me of my own children and how they would worry about what others may be thinking or saying about them. I hope we can use caution when bringing up topics that have thus far been unfounded. Maybe I am being too sensitive and maybe I am totally off base but on top of all the immediate trauma I can imagine a child in this situation worrying that others think this or that happened whether it happened or not (especially when so young and something so sensitive). This is one of the ways victims are re-victimized. Sorry for the vagueness. I hope I made sense. I know some things will and have been discussed in respectable manners. It's just something to keep in mind.

I certainly see your point and respect it greatly. Even if true none of us aware of any detail that may have transpired.

While shielding victims is a wonderful gesture every victim is not the same.

I feel Jayme is much stronger than we may think. She reminds of Elizabeth Smart in many ways. Elizabeth always knew she had nothing to be ashamed of for what happened to her was none of her fault. She didnt cower at all when testifying about every graphic detail of what they did to her. She told the police everything.

It empowered her knowing in the end her goodness would overcome evil resulting in her receiving the justice she knew she deserved. She knew no one else could tell what she had gone through. Telling her story on the stand only made her stronger....not more fragile. Shasta too wanted to testify to everything Duncan had done.

I think Jayme will also show the same courage and will tell the investigators every tiny detail without hesitation.

If there is a trial she will step up to the witness stand...raise her right hand..sit down and will go through everything no matter how difficult it may be.

She knows she is the only one who can testify against this monster and expose all that he has done.

She wants justice for what she had to endure and will also go into great detail about what happened when he killed the two people she loved more than anyone.

I saw a trial one time years ago where a 5 year old girl testified. All you could see was her feet which she swung back and forth. But she sat up there and told how her mother had been raped and then murdered when the suspect cut her mom's throat but he also raped her and cut her throat too leaving her to die but miraculously she lived. I have never forgotten her courage. Her voice although soft was strong. She came there to get justice for her mom and for what he had also done to her and she did.

Children are more courageous and resilient than we may think. Being able to speak about it often can be healing for some abused victims.

Imo

Last edited:
'She is doing as well as circumstances allow': Jayme Closs reunited with aunt
"She is doing as well as circumstances allow," Fitzgerald said.

Family friend MS said there was lots of screaming and crying when Jayme’s aunt first contacted her with the news. The family is ecstatic, said MS, of Rice Lake, Wisconsin.

Relatives spent Friday preparing so Jayme felt safe and comfortable when she came home.

"It was miraculous," MS said. "Just miraculous."

Patterson was arrested after Jayme provided the Douglas County Sheriff's Department with his name and a description of his vehicle. Police believe Patterson may have been driving around looking for her when an officer spotted the car, pulled it over and arrested him, authorities said.

"Jayme is the hero in this case," Fitzgerald said. "There’s no question about it."

(Names changed to initials by me. Also, 26 photos at the end of the article.)

Oh, my. I got to the photo of the Closs's little house and just lost it.
3 happy people should be starting 2019 together there.

This dude has to be a psychopath to kill her parents like they were raccoons in his garbage just to get to Jayme. He's so sick I REALLY hope the FBI profilers get hours and hours of video interviews with him because not all psychopaths are cut from the same cloth.

This guy, at 21, with no history of even murdering someone went into a very radical mode just to get to Jayme, who was NOT an isolated child.

I do wonder sometimes, but not overly so, if he did ever meet them and had words with them, or some sort of clash.
Maybe he simply depersonalizes others, with their lives having no value unless they can give him something he wants, which is a hallmark of a psychopath.

As horrific as this has been, I thank God with all my HEART that he didn't commit a mass shooting in a school or church, or other public place. He certainly looks like he could to me, both on paper and in his photo.

The DA would determine that. Her wishes would be considered as much as they could be. If she didn't testify and her testimony was pivotal to a conviction as to specific charges, that could lead to an inability to obtain a conviction on certain charges.

It seems like she would have to, at a minimum, identify him as the individual who killed her parents and kidnapped her, since there is no one else who could do that. No idea how it works in the case of a minor, if there's any way she can be spared facing him.

That poor girl, thinking ahead to what she may have to endure.

JMO respectfully. To my knowledge JP has 3 charges (unless more were recently added). Some of what has been discussed (not bringing more attention to it by saying it) has reminded me of my own children and how they would worry about what others may be thinking or saying about them. I hope we can use caution when bringing up topics that have thus far been unfounded. Maybe I am being too sensitive and maybe I am totally off base but on top of all the immediate trauma I can imagine a child in this situation worrying that others think this or that happened whether it happened or not (especially when so young and something so sensitive). This is one of the ways victims are re-victimized. Sorry for the vagueness. I hope I made sense. I know some things will and have been discussed in respectable manners. It's just something to keep in mind.

We all know why she was taken. It wasn't to have her clean his house. We all know further charges are likely to come. This forum is very respectable and unlikely to be something JC reads. It's the least of what she would be likely to see on FB, media article comments, etc.

While I deeply hope she is able to have agency over the dissemination of any details (hopefully he will plead guilty and she can then decide for herself to a larger degree, what details are released and when if any or ever), being that protective over a child unlikely to ever read here, is illogical, under the circumstances, which are that other charges are almost without a doubt coming and this forum is the least of what's out there that could make her unhappy.

I think both could be true.

The people coming to his house possibly weren't really people from town or also weren't those people in town really knew (people who lived even more on the outskirts, really kept to themselves, etc.)

You make a very good point.

In addition, let’s not forget that very few of the neighbours are year-round residents; the actual neighbourhood is not “in town”, and none of the neighbours quoted in the various MSM articles have specified (or MSM has failed to qualify statements) when the “comings & goings”/people visiting happened.

We don’t know if there were multiple/repetitive visitors during the time JC was kept there, or whether the “comings & goings” were part of a general observation.

It seems like she would have to, at a minimum, identify him as the individual who killed her parents and kidnapped her, since there is no one else who could do that. No idea how it works in the case of a minor, if there's any way she can be spared facing him.

That poor girl, thinking ahead to what she may have to endure.

I'm not sure of Wisconsin protocol but we've come far in victim advocacy in this country. Sometimes minor victims are allowed to testify via video, or with a screen between them and the perp. Etc.

I'm hoping he pleads. I have a feeling he talked. Younger perps usually do.

I'm not sure of Wisconsin protocol but we've come far in victim advocacy in this country. Sometimes minor victims are allowed to testify via video, or with a screen between them and the perp. Etc.

I think he talked as well.

The tidbit about the planning that was involved here, especially the comment about him shaving his head, definitely makes me think that he talked.

We all know why she was taken. It wasn't to have her clean his house. We all know further charges are likely to come. This forum is very respectable and unlikely to be something JC reads. It's the least of what she would be likely to see on FB, media article comments, etc.

While I deeply hope she is able to have agency over the dissemination of any details (hopefully he will plead guilty and she can then decide for herself to a larger degree, what details are released and when if any or ever), being that protective over a child unlikely to ever read here, is illogical, under the circumstances, which are that other charges are almost without a doubt coming and this forum is the least of what's out there that could make her unhappy.
Could she, as a minor child, testify and be cross-examined per live video and not be in the courtroom with him, ever?

I'm thinking about how he got money. If he was selling pot he wouldn't have made enough money to survive. Could he have been on SSDI or getting help from his parents? Maybe that's why they let him live there? They knew he wouldn't be able to support himself?

I don’t think he got SSDI because no classmate that has been interviewed said that he had special education.

The supt said he had great friends whereas classmates said he was a loner. I go with the clasmates.

It is difficult to get SSDI.

What was he using for money to eat, heat the house, pay electricity, pay for gas?

Even though you cannot be shut off for heat in the winter, in order to get assistance for the year, you have to catch up on past bills . So over the summer he could have been shut down. Furnaces use electricty to run.

That is a big house and it appears that there may be a fireplace. Keeping a house warm in Wisconsin in the winter
Bolded by me: This is what is on my mind. The brother's sex crimes happened at a time when Jake was especially impressionable. I do think the brother was an influence in this crime against Jayme - not that every younger sibling is destinted to follow in a sibling's footsteps (please don't assume I'm making that statement), but that the brother's actions were an influence that then festered and grew into a fantasy that JP then put into action, like his brother put his desires into action.

I'm not stating this well, but I hope ykwim.

jmo

It was plead down which happens all of the time in crimes that I know for sure are actually the more serious. Why they get to plead is not something I understand.

Rather than having a relationship with a girl, he thought it was OK to drive three hours and have sex with a girl he met online. She may have not thought that was a good idea but he did. Hence, the charges . That is IMO

View attachment 163915 View attachment 163916

The isolated woodland home where kidnap victim Jayme Closs, 13, was held captive as new family photos show her settling into life with her aunt and dogs and flashing 'big smiles'

Pictured: The home where kidnap victim Jayme Closs, 13, was held captive for 88 days | Daily Mail Online

I’m so glad Jayme has her family and furry friends around to provide comfort.

Great photos and great post!!! That’s one epic aunt....

Attachments

• E596640E-A620-4228-B725-8576A446C6E6.jpeg
    E596640E-A620-4228-B725-8576A446C6E6.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 60
I followed the ES case closely at the time. Elizabeth Smart dealt with her ordeal quickly. She did a Katie Couric interview within a week or so of her return. She was amazingly strong and, according to her, empowered by her faith. ES is now part of the MeToo movement that encourages survivors to tell their stories.

Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus also told their stories (sans sexual assault "details), within 2 years.

I pray by some miracle JC was spared sexual assault.

I don't think the general public wants to hear details of anyone's rape, especially that of a child. I think people just want to know if rape was involved.

Elizabeth Smart gave no interviews or testimony about the details of what she went through until eight years later. She did not undergo any therapy either. So no details were discussed even with a counselor.

Those are facts. Amanda and Gina were full grown adults when they talked. Not 13 year old girls.

I do think the public wants details. One post here stated "I can't wait to see inside" where she was held. A subsequent post clarified that that apparent excitement was due to morbid curiosity.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty obvious why she was taken, we all know she was likely assaulted (unless we're naive) and it's clear further charges as to that are probably coming soon. I don't think it's wrong to talk about that.

This conversation was about the desire to have her testify because it somehow is "healing" and to suggest otherwise is to shame and stigmatize sexual assault victims. That's what I'm discussing and I disagree with that point.

I'd like this child to be protected as much as is practicable and I disagree that it is healing for a child to testify about trauma she just endured.

I hope he pleads guilty so she can choose or at the least, trial won't happen for a long time so she can have time to recover.

That's just my opinion.

I was thinking of video as well, plus restrictions from the judge on how far she can be cross-examined, if at all.

I too hope he pleads. I bet he does, though I don't know what the prosecutors can offer him to entice him to do so. He seems awkward, shy and reclusive, maybe those traits alone will cause him to not want to be the center of attention in a courtroom.

I was thinking of video as well, plus restrictions from the judge on how far she can be cross-examined, if at all.

I too hope he pleads. I bet he does, though I don't know what the prosecutors can offer him to entice him to do so.

They can't refuse to allow her to be cross examined. We have a constitutional right to face our accusers and question them. But some courts allow certain protections. And a defense counsel would be insane to upset a child victim/witness on the stand.

ETA — Sorry, I completely messed up the quote.

I know she’s needs time with her family to grieve, talk, feel safe, and begin some sort of new normalcy. But if she is ever ready it would be wonderful to see her take part in a nonthreatening but fun atmosphere away from home.

Some posters have mentioned Jaycee Dugard’s program. If that is appropriate for Jayme it sounds wonderful. If not, maybe something that would offer help in a similar way.

The last I heard, which was early yesterday evening, the family had not set up anything like a go fund me account. I hope they do since people will indeed donate and the help may give Jayme more current opportunities along with the ability to make any choice she wishes for her future.

All MOO (I certainly don’t know the family’s take on this).
In regards to the fund, one was set up yesterday via fb and this morning already has more than $50k![/QUOTE]
What about those of us who want to give and abhor Facebook?
Why would they not go to Go Fund Me, I wonder? People leaving FB in massive numbers now.

I read in one of the Wisconsin papers the father did not pay his taxes on the property for over a year. So he probably lost it to that.

In MN it takes seven years of not paying taxes, I imagine it is similar in WIsconsin.

I don’t know why he wouldn’t sell it if he was having financial issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288