Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately, I do think we will get some of these answers.

He’s alive to talk (if he chooses), Jayme might be able to fill in some gaps, and there may be evidence that is recovered that also sheds some light on this.

I have little doubt that had Jayme not escaped, she would have met the same fate as her parents.

Then this guy would eventually do this again.

Her escape not only saved her life, but may have also saved the lives of others.
If you look at the aerial view of the property, it makes you wonder what else could have happened there. It's large and secluded enough to make someone disappear forever.

Here are some of my theories that have some credibility to it -

1. What if the person that broke into the Closs home would have given notes on the layout to JTP? If this was a purely random attack, JTP would haven't have known the layout and would have had a harder time to conceal his steps.

2. Perhaps JTP was trying to break in the same way the prior thief did, but realized that way was blocked, so he shot the door open with the shotgun and accidently shot James. He then knew that with Denise and Jayme as witnesses, he would have been found guilty if LE found him. Then, trying to conceal his steps, shot Denise to death then kidnapped Jayme because he wasn't sure if she would be able to testify against him.

3. Expanding on the fact of the break-in, would it have been possible that James saw JTP and grabbed his gun (This is hunting territory btw) in case he would have came to the front door. JTP shot down the door, and potentially James could have shot JTP in the leg or anywhere (Non-fatal) After he shot James dead, she shoots Denise dead (same reasons as before) and takes the gun because the gun would potentially give his position away, and runs away. He is able to go to the hospital or treat himself, and he is able to survive. He keeps Jayme in the basement because he is afraid that he would get a longer time in jail. He doesn't do any physical harm to Jayme, but inside, Jayme knows she has to escape in case he did.
Someone broke into the Closs home before the murders? I think JP might have, but haven't heard that anyone else broke in except the panty thief and that was after JP committed his crimes.

I'm pretty sure there was no accident in shooting JC.

Weren't all of JC's guns put away?

If I recall, the response of LE after the 911 call was made was fast, within 4 minutes.

Has LE released how long they believe the perp was at the house before that 911 call?

I usually find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with you on just about every case we both follow.

But on this subject I respectfully disagree. We are seeing an uptick on home invasions being done by complete and total strangers with dastardly devastating results for all of the victims inside.

Some of the most recent cases discussed here have been some of the most gruesome overkills involving stranger intruders.

I do believe we will see many more cases where the suspect is a stranger to the victims. At one time people who entered homes made sure the residents weren't home but now it seems they know they are inside but no longer care and it results in tortures..rapes and even kidnappings. Many of these cases never received national attention yet they were very similar. Not every cases will make the national news even though they were huge stories on local news outlets.

Perhaps you dont watch ID as often as I do. I have been an ID and OWN addict for years since their inception.

This isnt as uncommon as you may think. The only rare difference in so many cases I've seen is Jayme was able to escape her kidnapper and tormentor while most kidnapped victims were later found murdered or their bodies have never been located.

Imoo it will continue to rise.

Imo
I’m not aware of any statistics supporting this conclusion.

Violent crime is nowhere near peak levels of just a few decades ago.

We are simply more aware of these crimes than we used to be.

ETA: The Bureau of Justice Statistics shows a precipitous drop in violent crimes involving strangers.
Bureau of Justice Statistics Violent Victimization Committed by Strangers, 1993-20100

Last edited:
Wow where did you read that?

Just about every account, many very, very repetitive, (from the moment the story broke) report that Jayme ran up to a dog walker saying she needed help and frantically (my word frantically) described who she was and who captured her and that she was/had been held against her will by a man named Jake Patterson that drove a red car. The dog walker further, in countless articles and accounts, describes what Jayme said and what she looked like...matted hair, thin bedraggled etc. Countless articles since last Thurs reiterate that she was wearing shoes way to large, other articles say they were men's shoes. If you go back to when the story broke you can read various accts. For me to post where I read these accounts and provide links would take forever as all of this information is all over the internet. Just do a search.. Respectfully.

Last edited:
I usually find myself wholeheartedly agreeing with you on just about every case we both follow.

But on this subject I respectfully disagree. We are seeing an uptick on home invasions being done by complete and total strangers with dastardly devastating results for all of the victims inside.

Some of the most recent cases discussed here have been some of the most gruesome overkills involving stranger intruders.

I do believe we will see many more cases where the suspect is a stranger to the victims. At one time people who entered homes made sure the residents weren't home but now it seems they know they are inside but no longer care and it results in tortures..rapes and even kidnappings.

Perhaps you dont watch ID as often as I do. I have been an ID and OWN addict for years since their inception.

This isnt as uncommon as you may think. The only rare difference in so many cases I've seen is Jayme was able to escape her kidnapper and tormentor while most kidnapped victims were later found murdered or their bodies have never been located.

Imo

Totally get what you are saying, blue eyes. This case seems so odd to me from the average break-ins. I know there are way too many, to be sure.

He is 21 and there is some evidence he was stealing from neighbors, like siphoning gas. Did he need the gas or was he just doing it for the thrill of it?

I read here and saw on 48 Hours-he is a loner, was voted most quiet in high school, and had parents that seem to have up and left him (IMO). What was he like? Is he evil? Was he lonely? Don’t know, but do have an interest in understanding personalities who do this sort of crime. I guess we will find out more tomorrow *hopefully*.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is an important part of this as well. I give a lot of credit to the deputy that pulled over JP and arrested him. It appears they did not wait for backup and did this all on their own. Here you are pulling a person over you know has murdered 2 people/kidnapped a 13 YO so they don't have a lot to lose. Granted they have bullet proof vests but if he had a shotgun laying on the seat who knows what could have happened. They had no idea whatsoever if JP was armed or not. I think it was a very brave action on the part of the deputy to arrest the perp alone. We just take these arrests for granted but when dealing with a person like this with nothing to lose I think it shows and incredible amount of courage and bravery on the side of the deputy that made the arrest. Thank you deputy!

Last edited:
Something that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is an important part of this as well. I give a lot of credit to the deputy that pulled over JP and arrested him. It appears he did not wait for backup and did this by on their own. Here you are pulling a person over you know has murdered 2 people/kidnapped a 13 YO so they don't have a lot to lose. Granted they have bullet proof vests but if he had a shotgun laying on the seat who knows what could have happened. He had no idea whatsoever if JP was armed or not. I think it was a very brave action on the part of the deputy to arrest the perp alone. We just take these arrests for granted but when dealing with a person like this with nothing to lose I think it shows and incredible amount of courage and bravery on the side of the deputy that made the arrest. Thank you deputy!
Best sensible post of the day so far. Thank you for it.......MOO

Something that I haven't seen mentioned that I think is an important part of this as well. I give a lot of credit to the deputy that pulled over JP and arrested him. It appears he did not wait for backup and did this all on their own. Here you are pulling a person over you know has murdered 2 people/kidnapped a 13 YO so they don't have a lot to lose. Granted they have bullet proof vests but if he had a shotgun laying on the seat who knows what could have happened. He had no idea whatsoever if JP was armed or not. I think it was a very brave action on the part of the deputy to arrest the perp alone. We just take these arrests for granted but when dealing with a person like this with nothing to lose I think it shows and incredible amount of courage and bravery on the side of the deputy that made the arrest. Thank you deputy!

You are completely right. Job well done, deputy!

Regarding whether or not she had any concept of time or if it was day or night. She most likely knew a long period of time had passed but not the exact day. She made a comment to the woman she ran to, that he would hide her when people would come over. That tells me she was not put in a dark room 24/7. I believe when she made a run for it, she knew it was daylight, because she could see out a window.

Also, if I recall, she told the woman she ran to his name. Do we know if the name she gave is the name police released or if it was NOT his actual name?

Is it just possible that maybe he was seeking revenge on the parents? Maybe they had a hand in his short tenure at Jennie-O? Blamed them for his bad fortune job-seeking thereafter? Then after killing the pair realized their child, Jayme, was there, and couldn't bring himself to kill her too? Maybe she somehow appealed to him?
This is just a thought, MOO or maybe MODT-My Own Diverse Theory.
More likely she was the target, but still...
He quit after just one day, said he was moving out of the area.

I do believe we will see many more cases where the suspect is a stranger to the victims. At one time people who entered homes made sure the residents weren't home but now it seems they know they are inside but no longer care and it results in tortures..rapes and even kidnappings. Many of these cases never received national attention yet they were very similar. Not every case will make the national news even though they were huge stories on local area news outlets.

Imo

I agree that you are absolutely right about the current, (home invasions), way crimes are committed. And we will see more, I absolutely agree. I sadly think it is a great method. I don't think a lot of people realize how at risk they are in the safety of there own homes if a thief,killer, robber, kidnapper and so on wants to commit a crime or victimize a household. The unexpected .....sure way to get the upper hand and secure the goods.

Regarding whether or not she had any concept of time or if it was day or night. She most likely knew a long period of time had passed but not the exact day. She made a comment to the woman she ran to, that he would hide her when people would come over. That tells me she was not put in a dark room 24/7. I believe when she made a run for it, she knew it was daylight, because she could see out a window.

Also, if I recall, she told the woman she ran to his name. Do we know if the name she gave is the name police released or if it was NOT his actual name?

She was spot on with his name and identifying his car was red. That’s what caught him.

I’m not aware of any statistics supporting this conclusion.

Violent crime is nowhere near peak levels of just a few decades ago.

We are simply more aware of these crimes than we used to be.

ETA: The Bureau of Justice Statistics shows a precipitous drop in violent crimes involving strangers.
Bureau of Justice Statistics Violent Victimization Committed by Strangers, 1993-20100

I believe the latest data will definitely show an uptick in strangers who invade homes to murder...rape and kidnap. This one only goes through 2010 right?

While overall violent crime is down overall I believe who commits such violent crimes have changed. Imo

Jmoo

I'm a bit hermitess - I don't watch anything, & try not to follow so-called 'news' & even for me I am aware in just couple months of similar plots...since Jayme's abduction there were two men, young men, who were foiled in their plot, while on their way: to abduct the girl in question - both of these however were fueled by social media.....and thankfully did not get to fulfill their 'mission'....

still: they would have killed anyone in their way.....

JMO: it's a brave new world... ok: sick new world...

Just about every account, many very, very repetitive, (from the moment the story broke) report that Jayme ran up to a dog walker saying she needed help and frantically (my word frantically) described who she was and who captured her and that she was/had been held against her will by a man named Jake Patterson that drove a red car. The dog walker further, in countless articles and accounts, describes what Jayme said and what she looked like...matted hair, thin bedraggled etc. Countless articles since last Thurs reiterate that she was wearing shoes way to large, other articles say they were men's shoes. If you go back to when the story broke you can read various accts. For me to post where I read these accounts and provide links would take forever as all of this information is all over the internet. Just do a search.. Respectfully.

Many have read the news links right here about what you have describe.

It heartbreaking to know how inhumanely he treated her.

Imo she had no shoes of her own. She was barefooted when he kidnapped her and he kept her that way the entire time. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas