Found Deceased UK - Liam Smith, 16, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17 Nov 2018

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here, I am wondering if anyone has noticed that there may be a CCTV camera at Crathes Public Hall that points on the to the A93. I can see properly on google maps but it does seem like there is Camera or spot light pointing towards the road from the entrance doorway.

I only just heard about this and my sympathy goes out to his family. I have family in Aberdeenshire and niece around the same age as him, and it's rather scary how easily he has just disappeared.

A couple of things,

Firstly this 16 year old, left without his phone, not always unusual, but he clearly had time to go have McD's and buy drinks and chocolate. So if he forgot his phone accidently would he not have gone at got it. Maybe it was on charge. What I do find interesting is how little details on his habits or friends have been released. I assume if he has a computer they have looked at the history and who he has been talking to lately, but teens are tech savvy nowadays and not without realms of possibility that he has hidden it well, or that something has been found but its not been released for whatever purpose, why would he go to place he never usual goes? Why would he have lunch, then buy more snacks? its pure speculation but it does strike me like he was buying snacks for a journey. the junction at A93 and A957 seems like the type of place you would meet someone picking you up. It also happens to have a payphone there too, I assume all the in and outbound calls on that phone has been checked? guessing there would not be many calls made or received on a payphone in that location.

I spent a few hours looking on google maps and traveling along the road, looking for houses, shops and business with CCTV pointing towards the road. it might catch the bus passing and may help the police workout if he was still on the bus or not. There is also a payphone next to the bus stop at Drumoak. As you leave the village of drumoak, there is house on the left hand side on the A93, google maps is now showing an address or such. it has blue garage door and its before you reach the "Park Shop" as shown on google maps. it seems on the side of garage, there is security light and dome CCTV camera, wondering if it is facing the road?

There is also in Banchory, there is industrial unit next door to the left of "Buildbase" that seems to have CCTV pointing toward the road. Again maybe this can help if it has not been checked before?

It just strikes me as strange that he would buy a ticket for one place and possibly get off before hand, unless the ticket price was the same and it was easier to just say Banchory than explain to driver what stop he wanted to get off at. I don't know if there is bus heading to Stonehaven from the A93. Or from Banchory? or did he double back as way to elude detection. I do wonder what he told his parents where he was going or what he had plans for that day, but it just strikes me as odd that none of that has been released, maybe because there is more at play here that police are willing to share at this moment, but his behaviour does seem to point to that, He had been planning this, and the spotting of him with older woman does strike me as odd too.

My heart goes out to his parents and I really hope he is found alive and well,

Hi Everyone,

First time posting here, I am wondering if anyone has noticed that there may be a CCTV camera at Crathes Public Hall that points on the to the A93. I can see properly on google maps but it does seem like there is Camera or spot light pointing towards the road from the entrance doorway.

I only just heard about this and my sympathy goes out to his family. I have family in Aberdeenshire and niece around the same age as him, and it's rather scary how easily he has just disappeared.

A couple of things,

Firstly this 16 year old, left without his phone, not always unusual, but he clearly had time to go have McD's and buy drinks and chocolate. So if he forgot his phone accidently would he not have gone at got it. Maybe it was on charge. What I do find interesting is how little details on his habits or friends have been released. I assume if he has a computer they have looked at the history and who he has been talking to lately, but teens are tech savvy nowadays and not without realms of possibility that he has hidden it well, or that something has been found but its not been released for whatever purpose, why would he go to place he never usual goes? Why would he have lunch, then buy more snacks? its pure speculation but it does strike me like he was buying snacks for a journey. the junction at A93 and A957 seems like the type of place you would meet someone picking you up. It also happens to have a payphone there too, I assume all the in and outbound calls on that phone has been checked? guessing there would not be many calls made or received on a payphone in that location.

I spent a few hours looking on google maps and traveling along the road, looking for houses, shops and business with CCTV pointing towards the road. it might catch the bus passing and may help the police workout if he was still on the bus or not. There is also a payphone next to the bus stop at Drumoak. As you leave the village of drumoak, there is house on the left hand side on the A93, google maps is now showing an address or such. it has blue garage door and its before you reach the "Park Shop" as shown on google maps. it seems on the side of garage, there is security light and dome CCTV camera, wondering if it is facing the road?

There is also in Banchory, there is industrial unit next door to the left of "Buildbase" that seems to have CCTV pointing toward the road. Again maybe this can help if it has not been checked before?

It just strikes me as strange that he would buy a ticket for one place and possibly get off before hand, unless the ticket price was the same and it was easier to just say Banchory than explain to driver what stop he wanted to get off at. I don't know if there is bus heading to Stonehaven from the A93. Or from Banchory? or did he double back as way to elude detection. I do wonder what he told his parents where he was going or what he had plans for that day, but it just strikes me as odd that none of that has been released, maybe because there is more at play here that police are willing to share at this moment, but his behaviour does seem to point to that, He had been planning this, and the spotting of him with older woman does strike me as odd too.

Welcome to WS @KittenTakra, your post is interesting, especially mentioning possible CCTV footage available for LE to checkout. Wondering if all have been checked?
Prayers for Liam to be safe somewhere.

Hi Everyone,

A couple of things,

Dear KittenTakra,

Excellent and important information! Thank you for your post and I'm very glad you're here.

I am still of the thought that Liam ran away and is somewhere safe. I am truly hoping that this is the case. The snacks, as you mentioned, make me feel as well that he was preparing for a journey.

Quite a bit of time has passed and I am hoping and praying to read a police statement that Liam is safe somewhere and the case is closed. There is always hope.

Oh dear. I think the psychics giving his mum false hope are utterly disgusting people. How is he "camped out", you'd need a serious amount of supplies and gear to last this long outdoors and all he had was some Jaffa cakes and chocolate on him. If these cranks are so convinced they know where he is why haven't they gone out themselves and found him yet?

Absolute nonsense and the police will not entertain any of it thankfully.

Thanks for posting this. I find this part of the article interesting:

A passenger claimed he got off in Crathes, and he was spotted later that day in nearby woods.

Police have always said there was a credible sighting of Liam that afternoon in Crathes, but this is the first time i have heard of him being spotted in woods. This clearly does not bode well; If he did intend to stay out in the woods for a while he probably did not take into account the cold weather of a night and would have succumbed to the elements by now.

I hope this isn't the case but it doesn't look good for Liam.

I just read on facebook post made by someone in Aberdeen that Liam was spotted 1.5 weeks after going missing, they said he tried his hardest not to be recognised and that it was reported to the police!!! If there is some truth in this then it gives hope that hes alive!!

I just read on facebook post made by someone in Aberdeen that Liam was spotted 1.5 weeks after going missing, they said he tried his hardest not to be recognised and that it was reported to the police!!! If there is some truth in this then it gives hope that hes alive!!

If the above report is true it seems like this isn't your typical teenage runaway situation. I believe there is something more sinister at work here. Maybe Liam didn't runaway from home/parents but from some type of danger he was either involved in or witnessed. It seems Liam has gone through great lengths to hide himself from the public eye or maybe he has been helped or coerced to do so.
I could be totally wrong about this and maybe Liam is a disgruntled teenager on the run and did some planning in advance. Liam if you read this let someone know your ok.

Thanks for reporting this. Was this on a private page (which we cannot link here) or on an msm or other official page?

Could this be the post you're referring too perhaps?

From The Scottish Sun 25 November 2019:

A LAD matching the description of missing teen Liam Smith has reportedly been sighted heading to Inverurie with an older woman.

The 16-year-old Aberdeen schoolboy, described as white, 6ft 4ins tall and of slim build, has been missing from the Queen’s Road area since Saturday November 18. Liam Smith has been missing for over a week. But a post from a Donna Robson on Facebook brought fresh hopes that the schoolboy is still on the move.

The post read: “I hope the info I gave police will turn up some new leads. “I think I saw him on the 37 bus heading to Inverurie on Thursday 22 at 11.15 am approx. “He was wearing a north face jacket, and tried covering his face but looked at me before sitting down.

If it was a verofied sighting the police would have mentioned it and focused the search on it.

The thing about Facebook is anyone can post anything in comments and then it runs and runs. People bump old posts as well which leads to lots of confusion.

Thanks for reporting this. Was this on a private page (which we cannot link here) or on an msm or other official page?

It was on the Missing People Scotland fb page, a lady named Nicola, she said her friend spotted him as she was driving through Crathes, said it was his height and trainers that gave him away, said her friend reported it but as it couldn't be proven it can't be classed as a confirmed sighting, if that is the case then how did the "confirmed sighting"in Crathes the day he went missing come to be "proven"?

It was on the Missing People Scotland fb page, a lady named Nicola, she said her friend spotted him as she was driving through Crathes, said it was his height and trainers that gave him away, said her friend reported it but as it couldn't be proven it can't be classed as a confirmed sighting, if that is the case then how did the "confirmed sighting"in Crathes the day he went missing come to be "proven"?

So what do the police require for a confirmed sighting? Genuine question as I obviously am not understanding this.

Great point. Apart from the passenger saying they had seen Liam getting off the bus the police said there had been another credible sighting of him that afternoon in Crathes. But who was this person who had made this credible sighting? And why is it anymore credible than the woman who said she saw him on the bus with an older woman heading to Inverurie?

Great point. Apart from the passenger saying they had seen Liam getting off the bus the police said there had been another credible sighting of him that afternoon in Crathes. But who was this person who had made this credible sighting? And why is it anymore credible than the woman who said she saw him on the bus with an older woman heading to Inverurie?
I don't know, I'm wondering the same thing!! I'm also wondering IF it was him that her friend saw, was he clean, was he wearing a jacket? There's no way that he could've hid in those woods for 10 days just wearing that thin sweater , also she said her friend was driving when she spotted him so he must've been pretty close to the road to be spotted, can't see how he could stay in Crathes area for that long and not be found by the police or somebody out walking?

I don't know, I'm wondering the same thing!! I'm also wondering IF it was him that her friend saw, was he clean, was he wearing a jacket? There's no way that he could've hid in those woods for 10 days just wearing that thin sweater , also she said her friend was driving when she spotted him so he must've been pretty close to the road to be spotted, can't see how he could stay in Crathes area for that long and not be found by the police or somebody out walking?

I wonder what the criteria for a credible vs non-credible sighting is? The police have always believed the passenger who said they saw Liam getting off the bus and have seemingly concentrated all their efforts in searching in Crathes for him but is this at the possible detriment of looking further afield?

I wonder what the criteria for a credible vs non-credible sighting is? The police have always believed the passenger who said they saw Liam getting off the bus and have seemingly concentrated all their efforts in searching in Crathes for him but is this at the possible detriment of looking further afield?

I think so. I think everything needs to be at least considered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB
Back