Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Blume‏Verified account @PaulBlume_FOX9 4m4 minutes ago
Douglas Co, WI District Attorney says more charges against Jake Patterson, that might have been committed inside the Gordon area home, still possible. Expects to make final decision before Patterson's next court appearance. #JaymeCloss – at Barron County Justice Center

I'm guessing that the decision whether or not to press additional charges will be in large part contingent upon what Jayme, her guardian aunt, and hopefully, her advocates feel is in her best interest.

Just now reading all the post...
Did anyone report or find out...

Indeed info ... is that his ??

Parents .. have they made statement saying anything...?? Sorry to jaymes family?? Jayme??

Have parents even acknowledged they knew Frankenstein??

Did anyone acknowledge they worked with him for last three years??

Sorry if this all answered... the posts are all people venting and hard to filter...or find
I hear what you're saying, but on WS, they are considered victims too.

I don't think that's 100% accurate. Douglas County may be determining charges but it seems all that has to happen is for one county to consent to another county handling the charges. What I have found indicates that any DA in any County in the state can charge a defendant. Then the question is where the trial will be held. That is dependent on the county where the crimes were committed but if they were committed in multiple counties, the cases will eventually be consolidated. It would make no sense to have two simultaneous trials involving the same defendant and chain of events.

Wisconsin Legislature: 939.03

2013 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations :: 971. Criminal procedure — proceedings before and at trial. :: 971.01 Filing of the information.

2013 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations :: 971. Criminal procedure — proceedings before and at trial. :: 971.19 Place of trial.
Well that may be true for the Wisconsin statutes, in this case, the Barron County prosecutor explicitly stated that the Douglas County prosecutor would be doing the investigative work to determine if there any charges related to activities in Gordon. That doesn't mean that the cases won't be consolidating in the future, but that the decision to charge out any crimes that may have been committed in the Douglas County area is deferred to that prosecutor.

I sobbed in the barn the night that Jayme - our collective daughter, sister, and friend - was located alive and homeward bound. We had a calf born the next night and decided to name her after such a heroic and courageous young lady. After reading the criminal complaint I 1) lost my appetite and 2) was shaking with rage that this happened in my community (let alone at all). That's when I grabbed my camera and had a photoshoot with my Jayme.

The only reason someone will pay $5 million to release this monster is to kill it themselves.
You should send her a card with that photo in it! Just a beautiful sentiment, she has no clue how much her story and rescue has impacted everyone.

Those eyes and lashes make me envious.

Nothing is sealed yet. According to the post-hearing press conference, the Douglas County Attorney's office has not yet filed charges, and is currently working with investigators to determine what, if any, charges will be brought against the defendant.

Given that the crimes that may have occurred inside the home happened in Douglas County, and the murder and kidnapping occurred in Barron County, Barron County can only charge what occurred in their locale.
The court ordered a document sealed today. Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

I'm trying hard to figure out what they can do here.

As I stated before it seems it's much easier in Wisconsin to seal than it is in other states. Typically around the nation facts in a complaint can be sealed to protect an on-going investigation. But other than a few super controversial federal terrorism cases, I haven't seen actual charges sealed in a compliant before trial. That would amount to a secret trial and that's typically deemed unconstitutional in the US.

My sense is the charges we can see are the only charges there are at the moment and that something other than an actual charge is sealed.

Here's the info I could find, some of which is otherwise super interesting:

Judges seal 200 cases from public view (Sealing in lieu of expungement).

Wisconsin Court System - eFile/eCourts - Redaction
Wisconsin Legislature: 801.21
(Motions to seal, what records can be sealed and how to file one. Lots of interesting stuff here that might be relevant).

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/968.pdf (Commencing the proceedings and the complaint).

Your Right to Know: Wisconsin needs rules for sealed warrants - WisconsinWatch.org (Sealing warrants UNTIL complaint is filed).

https://wcasa.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/resources/PSARB-final_10-28-09.pdf (Step-by-step sexual assault primer/guidebook for Wisconsin prosecutors. Nothing in there about sealing a charge).

Could they be sealed because she is a minor?

Just now reading all the post...
Did anyone report or find out...

Indeed info ... is that his ??

Parents .. have they made statement saying anything...?? Sorry to jaymes family?? Jayme??

Have parents even acknowledged they knew Frankenstein??

Did anyone acknowledge they worked with him for last three years??

Sorry if this all answered... the posts are all people venting and hard to filter...or find

In order of your questions:

- no one knows/not confirmed

- otherwise no to all the rest.

A very brief attempt (5 weeks, I think) at Joining the Marines has been confirmed.

I'm crying just reading the headline

Inside the Moment Jayme Closs Was Reunited with Family: 'Everyone Was In Tears of Happiness'

It was a joyous moment and there wasn’t a dry eye in the room.

For relatives of Jayme Closs, three months of agony ended last Friday, the moment the Wisconsin teen — abducted back in October after witnessing the fatal shootings of her parents and held captive until her escape last week— stepped through the front door of the house of her aunt, Jennifer Smith.

Inside, Jayme was greeted by a room full of her family members, who’d all gathered there to welcome the kidnapped teen home with open arms.

“Everyone was in tears,” Jayme’s cousin, Lindsey Smith, tells PEOPLE. “Jayme walked through the door with my mom and dad. Most of our family was sitting in my parents’ house. Jayme walked around. She had a smile on her face and she gave every person a hug. Everyone was in tears of happiness.”

Conditions of his bail if it were to be met and he were released pending trial. It is doubtful anyone will post his bail so fingers crossed he will sit right where he is now.
Why is there even the remotest chance that he could be bailed? Two murders, a kidnapping and who knows what else should never have the potential to get out and run/harm someone else!

Ughhhhh the complaint makes me absolutely sick. I always had a feeling this was someone who had seen her somewhere and became obsessed, and that he had been thwarted during previous attempts to take her. It felt like a last resort guns blazing im going to get her this time no matter what kind of crime.

And the even scarier thing is that this type of crime is incredibly hard to solve, of course as we saw. If it's completely random where does LE even begin? You have two options really- victim escaping or a tip from someone close to the perp. I was hoping LE would push harder for tips since I felt like that was our only option. But on the other hand, this dingo probably didn't show much change to the people around him since I'm sure he doesn't have a conscience.

What an absolute loser UGH. Sorry y'all but like all of us I've been incredibly invested in this case since it happened and now I just have so many emotions.

Omg more. The tears.

Inside the Moment Jayme Closs Was Reunited with Family: 'Everyone Was In Tears of Happiness'

Jayme’s cousins all worked together to set up her room. They purchased a mirror along with a blue glass butterfly “because there’s this thing with my Aunt Denise…she loved butterflies,” Smith says. “And I got her a little glass figurine angel that is by her bed. Just little things that I think will always be there. My aunt loved butterflies and angels. So I think that was probably pretty fitting.”

My question is not why the Taurus wasn't stopped en route to the scene. I would never expect that to have happened. They didn't even know they were driving into a double homicide/abduction yet.

But I do question the choice to not give out the car details to the public. It could have been released at the same time as the two other cars they were asking about. Perhaps it would have been enough for one of the neighbors living near him to go "Hmm, that guy down the street drives a car like that." We will never know, obviously. The ONLY reason I can think of to not reveal this car description is if they had a pretty good inkling it may be the perp's and were worried about him harming Jayme if the car descrip was released, as someone earlier said. So my next question is--were they trying to track down leads of this kind of car behind the scenes/privately?

I think he should have been in the courtroom today. I think he needs to face the family in person. If he’s so disinterested, why didn’t he go in person? Anyone know? Thanks.
Most courts use video for safety reasons. Even while shackled a defendant can cause bodily harm. It's also cheaper because the court has to pay the sheriff dept for each defendant to be brought and returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member