Found Deceased NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. Not sure why he seems to be getting special treatment. Or maybe he's not; is name suppression usual in NZ?

He isn't getting special treatment

Any accused can apply for name suppression

It was refused in the district court but he appealed so it will continue until he files his appeal and loses or the time for the appeal runs out.

But how are people meant to come forward with potentially vital information, if nobody knows who he is? What if there's another girl who had a narrow escape from him, or felt threatened, or knows he can be violent? He's been charged with Grace's murder, so it's not like he's just a POI or been arrested 'on suspicion of'. Do other countries allow name suppression?

NZ has carefully managed justice system with a solid history, one which I believe the people of NZ can be proud of. I have no fears that, if the accused is found guilty, he will be held to account within a system that is fair and right.

NZ is near the top of the list on the World Justice Project 2017/18 'Rule of Law' index. New Zealand ranked 7th out of 113 countries, ahead of Canada (9th), Australia (10th), and the UK (11th), United States (19th).

https://worldjusticeproject.org/sit...ments/WJP-ROLI-2018-June-Online-Edition_0.pdf (pg 6-7)

My concern is that he will likely only get 17 years in prison so he will be out in his 40s which gives him the chance to kill another young woman.

But how are people meant to come forward with potentially vital information, if nobody knows who he is? What if there's another girl who had a narrow escape from him, or felt threatened, or knows he can be violent? He's been charged with Grace's murder, so it's not like he's just a POI or been arrested 'on suspicion of'. Do other countries allow name suppression?

I'd suggest to listen to the excellent Prof Mark Henaghan who explains this in a balanced way. There are some cases where name suppression is appropriate.

And in this case, name suppression will soon end when the appeal is lost.

Grace Millane murder-accused 'innocent until proven guilty' - law expert

Otago University law professor Mark Henaghan warned there were serious consequences to sharing his identity and said there were important reasons why the accused got suppression in the first place.

"The judge in this case thought there wasn't even an arguable case for suppression but the lawyer - and the lawyer is just doing their job as defence lawyer - said 'I'm going to appeal that'," he says.

"That meant the judge was stuck with suppression."

My concern is that he will likely only get 17 years in prison so he will be out in his 40s which gives him the chance to kill another young woman.

While I get your point, this debate comes up every single time a shocking murder happens and everyone wants even an stricter sentence than last time.

Judges can already set non-parole periods, but obviously they will have regard to previous tariffs.

20+ years is more likely for multiple murders or other aggravating factors.

Remember also if there is evidence of other crimes, he can get consecutive sentences.

/snip/ Do other countries allow name suppression?
In Sweden it's very unusual that the name of a suspect is published in the newspapers before they have been sentenced. It's not a real name suppression as it's possible for anyone who wants are allowed to get the information (the name and for what) when a person has been arrested for a crime as that's part of public information. But the names are usually not published in the media until after the trail, and the sentencing.

I realise this appears frustrating but the world is not ending.

He will lose his appeal soon enough, and will come to trial in Nov.

Then for the first time, we will hear the police case in outline. I don't expect significant detail to appear in the papers before that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth