Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if LE didn’t think about this car until later ... they could have ask for help. They game info out about other cars ... they didn’t have a lot to go on with those either.
Im not bashing LE. Just this one thing completely baffles me
I was hoping after Jayme escaped LE would say what made them put those cars out there (the red car and dark SUV)

I can't say what they were thinking that night, every situation seems reasonable until you look back on it. But... in retrospect this has got to be a lesson-learned- Get on the radio and ask for everyone to look for the car you just passed.
Nodding..I hope this causes them to assess changes in protocol. I know they believed they were headed to a possible suicide, but now they've learned something for the next time.

right but as soon as they knew it was 2 homicides that car should have been found and the driver questioned.
After they realized there were two homicides, they were notified that there should also be a 13 year old girl in the home, they had to look for her first. It would be more likely that she would be either in the house somewhere or on the property, so they prioritized their actions based on probability. I do agree once they had time to assess the entire situation, they should have reflected on that vehicle and given it more credence than they did at that time. But I'm also realizing that I'm armchair quarterbacking.

Just listened to the 911 call which was remarkable. Rarely am I able to concentrate on audio/video for longer than a few minutes and I was rapt through the entire call. I didn't want it to end. WOW.
I realized I was holding my breath as I was listening. I can't even begin to understand the fear these people had while waiting for LE to arrive. They all did a stellar job.

After they realized there were two homicides, they were notified that there should also be a 13 year old girl in the home, they had to look for her first. It would be more likely that she would be either in the house somewhere or on the property, so they prioritized their actions based on probability. I do agree once they had time to assess the entire situation, they should have reflected on that vehicle and given it more credence than they did at that time. But I'm also realizing that I'm armchair quarterbacking.
Exactly this. Hindsight and all.

Just listened to the 911 call which was remarkable. Rarely am I able to concentrate on audio/video for longer than a few minutes and I was rapt through the entire call. I didn't want it to end. WOW.
Either she lucked out and ran into exactly the right people or everybody else in WI except Jake Patterson is really really nice.

JP said I did it as soon as an officer stopped him. Book smarts cant buy you street smarts.

IMO this has nothing to do with smarts. Street or otherwise. He's an odd bird. Doesn't live in the same world as you or me.

Great post.

May I add: we do not know, and I keep emphasizing it, what - if any - alarming “issues” JP may have had or shown, NOR do we know how his parents dealt with them, or whether they successfully or unsuccessfully sought help.

True. His grandfather says he was normal. Nothing unusual. An ex says he slashed her mom's tires. Others have said he was quiet and blank but nothing to indicate he was insane or dangerous.

But something is up. He did not work. he has no work history to speak of. How was he supporting himself? Where was his dad living? Why was he living in that house alone? If his dad moved, why not sell it? Did the parents decide their errant son could live there rent free because he was - what as the word @MassGuy used? Failed to grow up or be independent.

Seems some enabling going on. That sure doesn't mean they're to blame. But it creates a fuller picture of this weirdo.

Anybody else think jtp May have been on unemployment compensation from his first job and was filling out applications to fulfill requirements set by the program?

No. He would've had to have been laid off AND had worked for enough time to be eligible for benefits. It doesn't appear he worked anywhere long enough.

How did he eat? Were his parents giving him money too? Free housing and money? Did he get food stamps? A lot of isolation. Why? I see a lot of these types are enabled by family to not remedy their issues. Like the Newton coward. His mother wrapped bubble wrap around him and made it easy for him not to get help.

Same with the Umpqua shooter:

"He was born in Torrance, California to Ian Mercer and Laurel Margaret Harper, and lived with his mother during the separation and divorce of his parents, who agreed to shared legal custody. Harper-Mercer continued to live with his mother and remained with her when she moved to Oregon for work.[45] His father had not seen him for about two years following his son's move out of state.[46][47][48]

Harper-Mercer joined the U.S. Army in 2008, but was discharged after five weeks for his failure to meet the "minimum administrative standards" of basic training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.[32][49] Officials linked to the investigation said that he was discharged as the result of a suicide attempt, but Army officials did not comment on this.[50] In 2009, he graduated from Switzer Learning Center, a school for teenagers with learning disabilities or emotional issues.[19][51] Laurel Harper was reportedly protective of him[52] and tried to shield him from various perceived annoyances, some of them minor, in their neighborhood in Torrance, California.[49] From early 2010 to early 2012, Harper-Mercer attended El Camino College in Torrance.[53]

Umpqua Community College shooting - Wikipedia (Emphasis mine).

BTW, I know this guy isn't a mass shooter but I see a lot of similarities.

I thought his brother and he look alike and he definitely has his father's nose. jmo

I Looked again and you're right. I saw it here in this video: Video: Jake Patterson's older brother and father arrive for court hearing | Daily Mail Online

He is very unattractive in comparison with the rest of his family, though and that likely added to whatever rage he had.

IMO this has nothing to do with smarts. Street or otherwise. He's an odd bird. Doesn't live in the same world as you or me.

True. His grandfather says he was normal. Nothing unusual. An ex says he slashed her mom's tires. Others have said he was quiet and blank but nothing to indicate he was insane or dangerous.

But something is up. He did not work. he has no work history to speak of. How was he supporting himself? Where was his dad living? Why was he living in that house alone? If his dad moved, why not sell it? Did the parents decide their errant son could live there rent free because he was - what as the word @MassGuy used? Failed to grow up or be independent.

Seems some enabling going on. That sure doesn't mean they're to blame. But it creates a fuller picture of this weirdo.

No. He would've had to have been laid off AND had worked for enough time to be eligible for benefits. It doesn't appear he worked anywhere long enough.

How did he eat? Were his parents giving him money too? Free housing and money? Did he get food stamps? A lot of isolation. Why? I see a lot of these types are enabled by family to not remedy their issues. Like the Newton coward. His mother wrapped bubble wrap around him and made it easy for him not to get help.

Same with the Umpqua shooter:

"He was born in Torrance, California to Ian Mercer and Laurel Margaret Harper, and lived with his mother during the separation and divorce of his parents, who agreed to shared legal custody. Harper-Mercer continued to live with his mother and remained with her when she moved to Oregon for work.[45] His father had not seen him for about two years following his son's move out of state.[46][47][48]

Harper-Mercer joined the U.S. Army in 2008, but was discharged after five weeks for his failure to meet the "minimum administrative standards" of basic training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.[32][49] Officials linked to the investigation said that he was discharged as the result of a suicide attempt, but Army officials did not comment on this.[50] In 2009, he graduated from Switzer Learning Center, a school for teenagers with learning disabilities or emotional issues.[19][51] Laurel Harper was reportedly protective of him[52] and tried to shield him from various perceived annoyances, some of them minor, in their neighborhood in Torrance, California.[49] From early 2010 to early 2012, Harper-Mercer attended El Camino College in Torrance.[53]

Umpqua Community College shooting - Wikipedia (Emphasis mine).

BTW, I know this guy isn't a mass shooter but I see a lot of similarities.

I Looked again and you're right. I saw it here in this video: Video: Jake Patterson's older brother and father arrive for court hearing | Daily Mail Online

He is very unattractive in comparison with the rest of his family, though and that likely added to whatever rage he had.
BBM
I feel the same. I called him an Enigma the other day because he seems to be a hodgepodge of infamous killer stereotypes IMO. Fits certain criteria here...but not there. Strange.

idk that just seems like 101 to me.
It's all about assessing risk, which LE and/or James couldn't do in that moment. A few minutes of time, then maybe. As humans, we don't do a good job of assessing immediate risk to ourselves, and taking appropriate response. We just aren't good that way. No blame from me, I just think that no one is prepared for such an extreme situation.

Couple says they wouldn't accept $50,000 reward because Jayme Closs 'got herself out'
Authorities are deciding what to do with a $50,000 reward for information about 13-year-old Jayme Closs, the Wisconsin girl who was found alive nearly three months after authorities say she was abducted from her home and her parents killed by an intruder.

Milwaukee FBI spokesman Leonard Peace said Tuesday that the reward remains under review. Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald says the reward is being discussed with the FBI and will be determined later.

PK told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the couple does not want the reward. He says if anyone gets it, Jayme should because "She got herself out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708