Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems even back in school he displayed symptoms of something! He was a loner, he had an abrasive/abrupt temper.... I don’t know if we’ll ever know why he was let out of the military but I suspect it included a diagnosis.

I do know a DSM category of childhood Oppositional Defiant Disorder doesn’t haven’t a direct link to an adult diagnosis. I have no idea when he was younger, if he was given any kind of diagnosis, and others here are likely better versed on ODD might chime in. IMO.

Absolutely correct. The thing about their statement is that they seem to be able to remember it quite well in the criminal complaint

Yes, I’m having a hard time reconciling Fitzgerald’s statement with the rather detailed description in the criminal complaint.

Barron County sheriff: Not enough information to pull over Jake Patterson, search for car

Fitzgerald said Tuesday that the passing car was discussed during the investigation, but they didn't feel they had enough information to alert the public to it. It was dark, and police were traveling fast, so it was difficult to determine the make, model and other details, he said.

“We didn’t have any specific information about that car," he said.

I wonder if it differs court to court. I’m unable to forward sealed records when requested. We actually don’t keep them onsite. I’m convinced jp has some juvenile involvement, even if just diversion. But that’s just a hunch...I don’t have anything to back that up.

No, it’s state law in Ohio. I’m not sure what you do to say why you can’t forward them but they are available if requested through proper channels by an authorized person.

I DONT believe WI has adopted all of the newer models but JPs juvenile records would absolutely be available to law enforcement and the courts. (I looked it up early in the case).

No clues....what???.....he seemed troubled, very quiet, could not hold a job, discharged from military (why???) ,possibly killed animals....
There are a lot of people that don't make it through boot camp, very quiet, and unfortunately in his age range, can't seem to hold a job. None of those things, make someone a criminal. If its true he killed animals, that is a red flag.

I have to ask folks here- what are your thoughts on him keeping her under a bed? This is such a strange location to me. My first thought was it’s an incredibly uncomfortable location, his intention was to be extra cruel.

I can only think anything else (closet, closed off room, shed, customer built room) his dad could easily have access to, unknowingly walk into.
Yes, it does seem strange, and very cruel. Did we every get any verification on whether or not he actually kept her in that room in the basement? I only saw one news source, which was the DM, and I'm never sure about their accuracy.
In reading Jayme's description, it almost sounds like he kept her in his own room. She said he would get mad if she left the room without him. Or maybe he said that.
So my question is, do we know where he actually kept her most of the time? I imagine he must have allowed her in other parts of the house, as long as she stayed with him, but I haven't seen anything about that. Imo

‘Small, Close-Knit Town’ Of Haugen, Wis., Also Reeling From Closs Family Tragedy
On the day Jayme Closs escaped last week, court documents say Jake Patterson drove from Gordon to the town of Haugen, Wisconsin. It’s where his mom lives and where WCCO found more people are wondering what they might have missed.

Haugen is a town of just 300. The news of Jake Patterson’s connections here has rattled the people who call this place home.

JH has been a part of this tight community for 40 years. His grocery store is a staple for anyone looking for basic supplies, but, it’s an infrequent customer that people are focused on now.

“When I had seen him in the store like last summer — June or July — he didn’t look that way,” Hill recalled about Jake Patterson.

Patterson’s mom has lived in Haugen for the last few years. She didn’t answer the door when WCCO stopped by. In a strange twist, WCCO has learned she drives a school bus for the Rice Lake School District. Patterson told investigators he knew he wanted to take Jayme Closs after seeing her get on her bus in nearby Barron.

Online records show Jake’s parents divorced in 2007. He went on to graduate in 2015 in Minong where his yearbook lists him as “quietist” in his senior class. On another page, Patterson said, “I’m finally done with school,” and that he planned to join the Marines. The Armed Forces confirm Patterson served for one month that following fall. That’s about the time his mom would have moved to Haugen.

Hill said Patterson didn’t come in often, but that he noticed a change the last time he stopped by. “I seen him once when he was shaven clean. I don’t remember what date it was or nothing,” Hill said.

Neighbors told me they haven’t seen the school bus Jake’s mom drives by her driveway since Thursday. They believe they are staying away as they try to cope with all that’s happened.
I wonder, if he was clean shaven sometime last summer, if he thought about doing this earlier.

I wonder if it differs court to court. I’m unable to forward sealed records when requested. We actually don’t keep them onsite. I’m convinced jp has some juvenile involvement, even if just diversion. But that’s just a hunch...I don’t have anything to back that up.
Juvenile records are always available to LE and courts. Expungements are the same. People think things records go away but they dont

I hadn't listened to the 911 call from the people who found JC until now. Wow. I would've been terrified. And there were other kids present. Knowing he blew away her parents I would've been just waiting for him to come in and kill everyone.

I don't know how they all managed to stay so calm. But you could hear the social worker start to tear up in relief at the end, I think.
Incredible courage, they must have been as terrified as Jayme at that point!

Last edited:
I have to ask folks here- what are your thoughts on him keeping her under a bed? This is such a strange location to me. My first thought was it’s an incredibly uncomfortable location, his intention was to be extra cruel.

I can only think anything else (closet, closed off room, shed, customer built room) his dad could easily have access to, unknowingly walk into.
I feel like it way his way of showing total domination over her, purposely tormenting her IMO

Yes, I think they did. I've always thought that the neighbors misread the clock thinking it said 12:38, when it actually said 12:58. I think it was about 7 minutes fast, so that would have been around 12:51 when they heard the two gunshots. Those would have been the first two shots, and the third one was within the house so they didn't hear it.
That would fit with the time of the 911 call and the amount of time the killer spent in the house, although I think it would have been more like 7-8 minutes. I can't remember the exact time they arrived.
It was never a popular theory but now they we have heard both Jayme's and Patterson's versions I am even more convinced. I don't think he could have spent up to 20 minutes in that house, and LE has always said he was in and out quick. Imo

Dear god, jayme rescued, perp in jail and we’re back to the smerkars ...

If there’s a trial, one question to either smerkar and we’re probably looking at 45 minute answer that ends with judge falling asleep......

I am sending them an oversized alarm clock with jumbo numbers.

Last edited:
I love your details....we know he said in the Complaint that he made 2 previous attempts at the Closs home. It's here:

The defendant stated he drove to the Closs home twice with the intent to kidnap J.L.C. prior to October 15, 2018. The defendant stated that, several days after quitting Saputo Cheese, and about one week to one and one-half weeks before he went through with his plan to kidnap J.L.C., he drove to the Closs home, but there were all kinds of cars in the driveway and it scared him off. The defendant stated on another night, maybe a day or two later, he again drove to the Closs home and noticed the lights were on in the house and people were walking around in the house so he decided not to do it then.

Perhaps the first time he attempted his plan, when the cars were in the driveway, was over the weekend of Oct 6-7. That would have been one week before the actual crime.

jmo

Someone else provided a great answer to what I wanted to know- thanks' y'all.

Billboard in Madison honors Jayme Closs
A billboard along the Beltline in Madison is honoring Jayme Closs. :)
jayme%20billboard_1547600628476.jpg_29811850_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Last edited:
He did nothing that would lead to Stockholm Syndrome. Instead, he continued to shove her under the bed and threaten her which is why she fled.

JMO

Snipped by me...

FWIW, we don't actually know precisely went on during those 88 days. We have very little information. We know he was keeping her under the bed while he was gone and when people were over, but we don't know what he did during the interim. It's possible that he was doing some things that might have eventually laid the ground work for gaining her trust. Stockholm Syndrome doesn't happen overnight, it's usually gained by doling out tiny slivers of trust and controlled freedom at a time. Seemingly "kind" gestures mixed in with really horrible ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa