Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, April 16th. 14 more weeks. For Mollie’s family’s sake, I hope it’s on time.

I’m guessing the actual trial will be brief, a few days maybe. Other than tech, forensics & autopsy experts, there seems to be no real history between Mollie & CBR, just acquaintence familiarity. May justice yield a swift & harsh sentence.

Trial scheduled to begin Tuesday, April 16th. 14 more weeks. For Mollie’s family’s sake, I hope it’s on time.

I’m guessing the actual trial will be brief, a few days maybe. Other than tech, forensics & autopsy experts, there seems to be no real history between Mollie & CBR, just acquaintence familiarity. May justice yield a swift & harsh sentence.

Joe I hope so. This crime hopefully, will be dealt with in an unbiased manner. That means no politics, no views of anyone pushed in the process. It happens behind, beside and smeared all over cases like this.

And if it truly appears and is proven CBR has a black out defect as he’s historically claimed, give him 10 days off a life sentence.

He brazenly stalked MT, he murdered her and deprived her of 56 years of living. If found guilty, he needs to pay for it in terms of the remainder of his life.

I hope it goes to trial as scheduled. But I don’t think the surprises are over. Just all my opinion.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ale-ia-mollie-tibbetts-des-moines/2260073002/
It was a busy 2018 for the handlers, Hansen said, likely because more and more police personnel have learned of them through word of mouth. Recently, some assisted in searches for a kayaker among two overturned on a Cedar Rapids creek and Mollie Tibbetts, the University of Iowa student whose disappearance and killing drew national attention.

During the Tibbetts search, one of the largest in state history, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said the number of missing juveniles was in line with historical trends, despite concerns spurred when the Brooklyn woman vanished.

Joe I hope so. This crime hopefully, will be dealt with in an unbiased manner. That means no politics, no views of anyone pushed in the process. It happens behind, beside and smeared all over cases like this.

And if it truly appears and is proven CBR has a black out defect as he’s historically claimed, give him 10 days off a life sentence.

He brazenly stalked MT, he murdered her and deprived her of 56 years of living. If found guilty, he needs to pay for it in terms of the remainder of his life.

I hope it goes to trial as scheduled. But I don’t think the surprises are over. Just all my opinion.
I second your opinions, Charliegizmo!! I have a feeling (not anything legit) that it will be a short trial, on schedule and within state budget constraints, politics set aside based on predecessor cases with legal counsel advising on how not to set yourself up for a fall. I'm truly looking forward to this trial of the person who stands accused of murdering Mollie. It's about tine that a horrific murder of a young person with clarity on the perpetrator goes to trial 'right away' (within less than a year).

[URL='https://www.kcci.com/article/man-accused-of-killing-mollie-tibbetts-asks-for-trial-delay/25918991']Man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts asks for trial delay
A judge set a trial date for April 16, with a pretrial conference on April 4.

Rivera’s attorneys argued that much of the state’s evidence in the case had not been shared with the defense until the last 30-45 days, meaning the defense needs more time to review the material before trial.

The judge has not yet made a decision on the request.
[/URL]

Defense Requests New Trial Date in Murder of Mollie Tibbetts
Attorneys for the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts are asking for a new trial date to be set.

The request was made as part of an application filed Tuesday for an extension to complete discovery, file pretrial motions, and designate notices of defense.

In the filing, Rivera’s attorneys say many of the discovery documents have only been disclosed in the last 30-45 days including the most recent version of the DCI investigative file, which was only received last week.

Because of the large amount of material the defense still needs to review they’ve asked that the deadline, which had been set for Tuesday, January 15, be extended. The filing says the state is offering no objection to the request.

The judge in the case has not yet responded to the application.

Rivera’s trial date is currently set for April 16, 2019.

Last edited:
Mollie’s Movement: Finding Others brings light to other missing person cases
Life is a lot quieter now in the town of Brooklyn, which was thrust into the national limelight for the community effort behind finding Mollie but her memory can still be seen in the blue ribbons wrapped around light poles downtown.

JV, owner of Brooklyn’s Live Now Photography & Design, will never forget the days her shop was full of people. VandLandschoot said she remembers the feelings carried in by the people that came in; feelings of determination and caring.
MOLLIE-TIBBETTS-218x300.jpg

She and her team plus volunteers worked tirelessly printing shirts, buttons and missing posters for Tibbetts.

“You don’t give up and you don’t give up hope,” VanLandschoot said. “It was just a huge community effort. I know I had volunteers put in up to 17 hours in a day.”

Life may have quieted down but now JV is finding a way to remember Mollie by helping to find others by making the same products to be shared online and in-person.

JV runs the Facebook page Mollie’s Movement: Finding Others and a Facebook group Remembering Mollie Tibbetts. Altogether it has more than 80,000 members, a large platform for other missing people.

JV’s business is not a non-profit but proceeds from the site go back to the Mollie Movement and other missing person’s case.

JV also has a goal making semi-trucks the “new milk carton” by putting missing people stickers on the back of the trucks. Truck drivers can sign up for free stickers to put on the trucks here.

Attorneys for Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect ask for trial delay after disclosure of investigative file
Since Bahena Rivera was arraigned in September, his attorneys have received volumes of information from the prosecution, they said.

Much of the information has been disclosed to them in the last month to 45 days, the two wrote. The most recent report, identified as "Version III" of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation file, was produced within the last week, they said.

The attorneys said they have not yet fully reviewed the information in the disclosure, which they have been told included "results of testing and a myriad of interviews."

Now with all the material from prosecutors, Bahena Rivera's defense team said it can "formulate a more complete defense," saying they would consult with their own experts.

Attorneys for Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect ask for trial delay after disclosure of investigative file
Since Bahena Rivera was arraigned in September, his attorneys have received volumes of information from the prosecution, they said.

Much of the information has been disclosed to them in the last month to 45 days, the two wrote. The most recent report, identified as "Version III" of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation file, was produced within the last week, they said.

The attorneys said they have not yet fully reviewed the information in the disclosure, which they have been told included "results of testing and a myriad of interviews."

Now with all the material from prosecutors, Bahena Rivera's defense team said it can "formulate a more complete defense," saying they would consult with their own experts.
Thanks PM. Although I am sooooo disappointed, I'm not surprised. I'd rather see them have the appropriate time verses a ground for appeal. Justice is still coming to Mollie I have no doubt. :)

Thanks PM. Although I am sooooo disappointed, I'm not surprised. I'd rather see them have the appropriate time verses a ground for appeal. Justice is still coming to Mollie I have no doubt. :)
It's bittersweet news, I think. Although we may see a delay, they have "volumes of information." :) Hopefully, they don't push the date back too far.
MOO

Prosecutors propose July trial date for man accused of murdering Mollie Tibbetts
Prosecutors have requested a July trial date for the man accused of killing 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts, according to court records.

"The State does not resist Defendant’s request to continue the trial," Assistant Attorney General Scott Brown wrote in a Thursday morning court filing. "If the Court continues the trial, the State requests the Court schedule trial for Monday, July 29, 2019."

The filing also notes that prosecutors anticipate a trial length of six to eight days.

Rivera's defense team, in documents filed earlier this week, wrote that recent disclosure of evidence warrants additional time in order to prepare any pretrial motions and notice of defenses.

Article includes the document - State's Response to Defendant's Motion to Continue:

https://www.weareiowa.com/news/loca...cused-of-murdering-mollie-tibbetts/1707871479

Last edited:
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ifer-frese-chad-iowa-crime-courts/2604703002/
Assistant Attorney General Scott D. Brown proposed Thursday morning that the trial begin July 29, according to court records. The request comes two days after attorneys for Cristhian Bahena Rivera, the man charged with first-degree murder, asked the court to push back the previously scheduled April trial date.

The original deadline to complete discovery was Tuesday, but such delays in trial proceedings are not uncommon.

Since Bahena Rivera was arraigned in September, his attorneys said they have received a plethora of information from the prosecution. Much of it came in the last 45 days. Brown's request Thursday agreed there is an abundance of information for both sides to parse through, calling the amount of material provided in discovery "voluminous."

Brown's request said the state estimates the trial will take six to eight days. A judge will decide whether to grant the extension and then set a new trial date.

It's strange that this guy would work so hard on a trial knowing what he did was wrong... You would think he would want to be an honorable human being, and plead guilty to his crime, just as fast as he decided to commit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks