Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Deputies responded to a residence on Highway 8 east of Barron that was asking for help shortly before 1 a.m. When deputies arrived, they found two deceased adults. Jayme Closs, 13, is considered "missing and endangered." Jayme is described as 5' tall, 100 pounds and has green eyes and blond or strawberry blond hair.

2 dead, 13-year-old girl missing in Barron County, Wisconsin

Jayme%20Closs_1539605722558.jpg_6224138_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5

Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18
Thread #19
Thread #20
Thread #21
Thread #22
Thread #23
Thread #24
Thread #25
Thread #26
Thread #27
Thread #28
Thread #29

Thread #30
Thread #32
Thread #33
Thread #34
Thread #35
Thread #36
Thread #37
Thread #38

Thread #39
Media, Maps, and Timeline Thread

ABSOLUTELY NO MORE OFF TOPIC STORIES! THIS THREAD IS ABOUT JAYME. FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR OFF TOPIC STORY TO A PRIVATE CONVERSATION. IF ANYONE POSTS THEIR PERSONAL OFF TOPIC STORY WILL RECEIVE AN AUTOMATIC TIMEOUT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone- As this is a very active discussion, please make every effort to stay on-topic, victim friendly, and courteous to your fellow posters. If you are posting information as fact, posting a picture, etc. include a link to your source. If you see a post which violates TOS, report the post and do not respond to it. Thank you and carry on :)

Charges: Suspect taped Jayme's hands, ankles, dragged her to car
A jailed Patterson appeared Monday afternoon via video hookup in Barron County District Court, where he heard the charges against him in connection with the deaths of James and Denise Closs and the abduction of Jayme, who sought help along a road near Gordon upon escape.

Judge James Babler agreed with the prosecution and set bail at $5 million for Patterson, pointing out the seriousness of the charges, the prospect of spending life in prison if convicted and the great lengths the defendant went to conceal the crimes while a fugitive. The defense requested an unspecified lesser amount.

Decked in full jail orange, Patterson sat at a table with a member of his defense team to his right and the charging document in front of him over the 9-minute hearing and answered every question from the judge calmly and with full understanding. He sat with his hands folded at his waist, adjusting his glasses and rubbing his face.

Prosecutors also said Monday afternoon that additional charges based on unspecified allegations could be coming out of Douglas County, where the Patterson property is located, before the defendant is back in Barron County Circuit Court in Barron on Feb. 6.

I'd like to know how this state became a non death penalty state..was it dictated by a court?
decreed by elected officials? or did the populace have a majority vote? Just thinking out loud..thanks

Douglas Co. Officials Explain Why Jayme Closs Response Took So Long
When local law enforcement got a 911 call that Jayme Closs had been found , multiple Douglas County Sheriff deputies were sent to the scene. However, from the time the call came in to them arriving took 30 minutes.

As for why the response took so long, Douglas County Sheriff Lieutenant Chris Hoyt told WDIO News, the first three responding deputies were working patrol at the time and available for calls.

The first time stamp from their AVL log was at 4:16 p.m.

One deputy was coming from County Hwy E in the Hawthorne Wisconsin area, 28 miles from the Kasinkas home. The responding time took 25 minutes.

Another deputy responded near lake Minnesuing on County Highway P, 29 miles away. His response time also 25 minutes.

The third responding deputy was 45 miles away in Superior. His response time was 29 minutes.

Two other deputies not working patrol assisted, one arriving on scene at 4:42 p.m. and the other at 4:53 p.m.

All were traveling over 100 miles per hour.

Somebody can't do basic math. 28 miles in 25 minutes is 67 mph, not over 100 mph. Basically they respond at normal highway speed. They didn't seem to be in any hurry.

I just got around to reading the transcript, and I am very impressed with the 911 operator. She managed to get the police and EMS to the house quickly, keep the women calm, get all the pertinent information about the accused, and still exude professionalism, warmth and concern throughout the entire call. Good job!

Transcript Of 911 Call Following Jayme Closs’ Escape

I'm not at all impressed. She was slow as hell. It took 30 minutes to get them there. That is not quickly. She asked all the typical dumb questions that 911 operators ask today.

I'm more impressed with the caller who was a social worker and was coordinating what help was needed. The operator made her justify why medical help was needed. The social worker pointed out that she should be treated for shock and hypothermia . The 911 operator still blew her off and didn't send that help. That is just bad training. At very least paramedics should be sent to check out a victim of a violent crime. That is just common knowledge.

What I don't get is why if police saw his car leaving on the way to the house, why the description of the car wasn't released to the public. How do you not figure out that could have been a killer or at the very least a witness?

Definitely not quickly especially considering the suspect was apparently looking for the victim and was in very close proximity. This could have ended badly. But I guess it's the best they could have done in that rural area.

Somebody can't do basic math. 28 miles in 25 miles is 67 mph, not over 100 mph. Basically they respond at normal highway speed. They didn't seem to be in any hurry.
That would be correct if you are talking about avg mph. I believe you also have to figure in slowing for intersections, traffic congestion and making turns. Imo they were in a hurry and responding as quickly and safely as possible.

BBM

Ha ha, I never claimed to be original, just posting my thoughts. :)

And none of us really know what his plans were. It's all conjecture at this point and that makes one person's opinion as valid as the next.

Yes we are all guessing, but as you pointed out, he made big plans as to how he would abduct her, but made ZERO plans as to how he would keep her. So logic would suggest he had no plans to do so. But I guess in his deranged mind, he could of thought that JC would learn to love him, and maybe he would make other provisions at a later date. I could be wrong though, but I'm not so sure he did what he did for the excitement of murdering the Closs' and abducting JC, or if he did what he did for the excitement of the entire crime as a whole.

I am not aware of how to bring over a post from an old thread that has just closed, so I will post the link and what was said, and then put in my response. Hope it's not confusing.

Found Alive - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #39

By Kaboom

"I'm not at all impressed. She was slow as hell. It took 30 minutes to get them there. That is not quickly. She asked all the typical dumb questions that 911 operators ask today.

I'm more impressed with the caller who was a social worker and was coordinating what help was needed. The operator made her justify why medical help was needed. The social worker pointed out that she should be treated for shock and hypothermia . The 911 operator still blew her off and didn't send that help. That is just bad training. At very least paramedics should be sent to check out a victim of a violent crime. That is just common knowledge, which apparently that operator doesn't possess."

I disagree, that she was slow as hell. One of the hardest things to do for a nine-one-one operator is to keep them calm and on the phone when they are very upset and the people can't get to them quickly enough. They drove very far away to get there as quickly as they could. She had a lot of people in her ear, and I see nothing lacking in what she did.

I heard that the paramedics were indeed dispatched, but they decided to take her away from the crime scene immediately. Also, the scene was not secure at that time for them to enter and the decision was to take her away immediately in the police cars for her safety because she was not in a life-threatening health situation, which the 911 operator had confirmed..

JAN 15, 2019
When local law enforcement got a 911 call that Jayme Closs had been found , multiple Douglas County Sheriff deputies were sent to the scene. However, from the time the call came in to them arriving took 30 minutes.

As for why the response took so long, Douglas County Sheriff Lieutenant Chris Hoyt told WDIO News, the first three responding deputies were working patrol at the time and available for calls.

The first time stamp from their AVL log was at 4:16 p.m.

One deputy was coming from County Hwy E in the Hawthorne Wisconsin area, 28 miles from the Kasinkas home. The responding time took 25 minutes.

Another deputy responded near lake Minnesuing on County Highway P, 29 miles away. His response time also 25 minutes.

The third responding deputy was 45 miles away in Superior. His response time was 29 minutes.

Two other deputies not working patrol assisted, one arriving on scene at 4:42 p.m. and the other at 4:53 p.m.

All were traveling over 100 miles per hour.

ETA typos

Last edited:
Yes we are all guessing, but as you pointed out, he made big plans as to how he would abduct her, but made ZERO plans as to how he would keep her. So logic would suggest he had no plans to do so. But I guess in his deranged mind, he could of thought that JC would learn to love him, and maybe he would make other provisions at a later date. I could be wrong though, but I'm not so sure he did what he did for the excitement of murdering the Closs' and abducting JC, or if he did what he did for the excitement of the entire crime as a whole.

As you pointed out, dozens of others had the same idea as me. It's just speculation. I guess we'll all probably know in time.

I saw something on social media sensationalizing what Jayme Closs had been through. Found her barely a month ago on the page titled "List of people who disappeared mysteriously post-1970" and she has been in my thoughts. Especially so since she's very young and I know unlike another Person of Interest in that article, she wouldn't have run away.

Anyways, I was inclined to come over here to see if any of it was true. The article shared a few posts back doesn't exactly sensationalize it, and it really irritates me that there's already presumptions that she experienced horros on the same levels as Elizabeth Smart or Jaycee Dugard.

I'm glad she was found and I do not think the law enforcement did anything wrong. As a few more recent posts have said, there were ice on the road, it's dark out, densly populated neighborhood, numerous intersections, winding roads all come together to add at least ten minutes of travel time. Even if you do go the speed limit or higher.

RhenishWell-Known Member
Crime
Sheriff defends Jayme Closs 911 response
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 04:53 PM CST
Updated: Jan 16, 2019 04:53 PM CST

Sheriff defends Jayme Closs 911 response

BARRON, Wis. - A Wisconsin sheriff says his deputies did everything they could on the night a 13-year-old girl was abductedand her parents slain.

A criminal complaint says Jake Patterson told investigators he had left Jayme Closs' home with the teenager locked in his trunk Oct. 15 just 20 seconds before he paused to yield to three oncoming squad cars with emergency lights flashing.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald said Wednesday that deputies "didn't know what kind of call" they were responding to that night.

Jayme told investigators that her mother called 911 after Pattersonfired shots in their home, but that the intruder ordered her to hang up.

Fitzgerald said the Closs home is on a major highway with cars on the road at all hours. He says his department has "excelled" in handling the Closs case and that he plans no changes in how his deputies respond to emergency calls
ETA: thanks original poster @Rhenish

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members